ADVERTISEMENT

Let The Transfer Games Begin

Look it’s not that complex to be honest. All things aren’t equal in life that’s a fantasy. That’s my point read into whatever you want but that’s it in a nutshell. To pretend different is naive. You can have the same class on the same campus taught by two different people and one class odds are will be preferred over the other based on who teaches it! So 1315’s assertions that students shouldn’t need to transfer based on academics because all schools have AP courses is short sighted among other things. And no a kid transferring for band shouldn’t be made to sit in my opinion, but neither should a kid sit for football, baseball, wrestling, etc. I believe in freedom of choice. Life is about choices and learning from the consequences of those choices.
“Odds are” the best and most effective educators ARE the ones teaching AP. In fact, the smart families KEEP their (smart) kids at their home schools as there is far greater peer support within their friends and community. This is THE REASON why if you search for National Merit Scholars almost all NorCal schools that have a private (not charter though) in town, there are proportionally far greater numbers in the publics, and most are boundary strict. Maybe you don’t have that type of kid.

My thoughts are similar to yours.,I get it that rules are rules but my problem is choice. Why should a kid be penalized for choosing to transfer whether for athletics or academics? Why are they penalized for one and not the other? ......So for me I guess the question would be what is appropriate penalty for a student who transfers? I think 5 games maximum...Why would a kid be ineligible for the season for example like McKenzie was after leaving De La Salle?
Guys....Freedom of choice is all well and good, but do you see kids transferring from one school to the other to take different language that is taught in each school, woodshop, band...I doubt it...But you do see them transferring to play football, maybe basketball and even baseball. These transfers cause a lot of problems and changes to ground level of teams that they face. If these kids want to change schools, have their parents move to that school dist.
and every thing will work just fine....I have seen too many schools loose top athletes in the past and change the whole course of a teams season..

Reactions: RidgeRider
Guys....Freedom of choice is all well and good, but do you see kids transferring from one school to the other to take different language that is taught in each school, woodshop, band...I doubt it...But you do see them transferring to play football, maybe basketball and even baseball. These transfers cause a lot of problems and changes to ground level of teams that they face. If these kids want to change schools, have their parents move to that school dist.
and every thing will work just fine....I have seen too many schools loose top athletes in the past and change the whole course of a teams season..
Can’t use district boundaries unless everyone has to be regulated by them (DLS). In my opinion

Odds are” the best and most effective educators ARE the ones teaching AP. In fact, the smart families KEEP their (smart) kids at their home schools as there is far greater peer support within their friends and community. This is THE REASON why if you search for National Merit Scholars almost all NorCal schools that have a private (not charter though) in town, there are proportionally far greater numbers in the publics, and most are boundary strict. Maybe you don’t have that type of kid.

So you’re saying all teachers are equal? That’s comedy. Doesn’t matter if both are teaching AP or intro to Spanish. Not all teachers are equal that is very naive. And to try and take a jab at my kid is in pretty poor taste to be honest. Again this notion that all things are equal is naive. I mean think about it most schools have football programs. The ones with the better coaching staffs are usually the more successful programs. It’s not all equal. Some coaches are better than others, it’s the same with teachers or academics. And of course athletes will seek out those coaches/teams and kids/parents will also seek out institutions that provide better educations. This isn’t a novel thought it’s reality of life.

Reactions: THEOC89
So you’re saying all teachers are equal? That’s comedy. Doesn’t matter if both are teaching AP or intro to Spanish. Not all teachers are equal that is very naive. And to try and take a jab at my kid is in pretty poor taste to be honest. Again this notion that all things are equal is naive. I mean think about it most schools have football programs. The ones with the better coaching staffs are usually the more successful programs. It’s not all equal. Some coaches are better than others, it’s the same with teachers or academics. And of course athletes will seek out those coaches/teams and kids/parents will also seek out institutions that provide better educations. This isn’t a novel thought it’s reality of life.
You keep bringing FB into the discussion while dismissing I am ONLY discussing transfers for high academic students. What part of that do you not get?
As far as bringing up your exposure to high academic kids, (yes, I have a NMS, while another- not a NMS-was Magna Cum Laude from a State U,) it’s not to berate your personal situation but to understand any bias. About the only consolation I’ll give you is in my home District of Richmond where there is growing Charter school cachet. Knowing mine, it’s time to drop the idea that high academic kids: 1. Transfer. Which makes point two moot: regulating academic transfers other than existing School Districts’ guidelines is very uncommon. So please, drop any further FB comparisons! It’s your shtick, and past old.

If I didn’t have three lifetime educators in the WCCUSD in my direct family I’d capitulate. Sorry.

You keep bringing FB into the discussion while dismissing I am ONLY discussing transfers for high academic students. What part of that do you not get?
As far as bringing up your exposure to high academic kids, (yes, I have a NMS, while another- not a NMS-was Magna Cum Laude from a State U,) it’s not to berate your personal situation but to understand any bias. About the only consolation I’ll give you is in my home District of Richmond where there is growing Charter school cachet. Knowing mine, it’s time to drop the idea that high academic kids: 1. Transfer. Which makes point two moot: regulating academic transfers other than existing School Districts’ guidelines is very uncommon. So please, drop any further FB comparisons! It’s your shtick, and past old.

If I didn’t have three lifetime educators in the WCCUSD in my direct family I’d capitulate. Sorry.

LMAO. It’s a FB forum for starters. It was also asked if kids were transfering for academic reasons would there be the same uproar. Which of course there wouldn’t and isn’t. To which you responded with there would be no reason for kids today to transfer for academics with AP courses blah blah blah. Which to be blunt is asinine. And the fact you have “lifetime educators” in your family means nothing here, if anything it adds to your biased belief that all educators and institutions are equal! They aren’t!

Truthhertz, I have found that it is not so much a teachers ability, but how the child reacts to a particular style, of that particular teacher. When I went to school ( Way Back) :) I responded depending on their style, manner, voice, subject being taught, and other intangables. We were kids!
I am sure you must have experienced some of this?

Here's wishing you great football

LMAO. It’s a FB forum for starters. It was also asked if kids were transfering for academic reasons would there be the same uproar. Which of course there wouldn’t and isn’t. To which you responded with there would be no reason for kids today to transfer for academics with AP courses blah blah blah. Which to be blunt is asinine. And the fact you have “lifetime educators” in your family means nothing here, if anything it adds to your biased belief that all educators and institutions are equal! They aren’t!
I may be wrong but I think you’re proving his point. Institutions and educators aren’t equal. Which is why student athletes should not be punished for trying to enhance their college prospects by transferring to “institutions” that has better “educators” in their athletic department.

Particularly when the greatest high school football program in the country’s history was constructed on the decades long manipulation of a county wide middle school recruiting system under the guise of a private school Christian Brothers based education. Now that high school transfers have grown in popularity, people want to become moral police officers.

Reactions: 1315
Truthhertz, I have found that it is not so much a teachers ability, but how the child reacts to a particular style, of that particular teacher. When I went to school ( Way Back) :) I responded depending on their style, manner, voice, subject being taught, and other intangables. We were kids!
I am sure you must have experienced some of this?

Of course I experienced this. But again whatever the reasons might be the notion kids wouldn’t or shouldn’t or don’t transfer for academics because everything is equal is naive. We know as adults or should at least things are rarely if ever equal.

I may be wrong but I think you’re proving his point. Institutions and educators aren’t equal. Which is why student athletes should not be punished for trying to enhance their college prospects by transferring to “institutions” that has better “educators” in their athletic department.

Particularly when the greatest high school football program in the country’s history was constructed on the decades long manipulation of a county wide middle school recruiting system under the guise of a private school Christian Brothers based education. Now that high school transfers have grown in popularity, people want to become moral police officers.

Actually his position is most all public’s offer AP courses so the need for academics transfers isn’t honest. My position is two fold really. 1. I don’t care why a kid/family wants to transfer it’s their decision along with the institution they desire to be at. 2. Just because institutions all offer AP courses doesn’t mean one isn’t more desirable than another. This isn’t a novel thought because things are rarely equal. I used yes football, or for you Pitts music/band program, and also used a scenario where same class/subject offered at same institution where one class is preferred over the other, it’s the nature of the beast. His position is if it’s offered it’s the same everywhere so why would a kid need to transfer. I disagree.

Of course I experienced this. But again whatever the reasons might be the notion kids wouldn’t or shouldn’t or don’t transfer for academics because everything is equal is naive. We know as adults or should at least things are rarely if ever equal.
You are correct because although schools offer AP classes they don’t all offer the same classes so you may have to transfer to get the AP course you want.

There are now almost 40 AP coursesoffered, though not every school offers every course.

You are correct because although schools offer AP classes they don’t all offer the same classes so you may have to transfer to get the AP course you want.

There are now almost 40 AP coursesoffered, though not every school offers every course.
GUYS.....This subject has been beaten to death, its running from Football away to Academics which has nothing to do with football..
So this subject has to stop and wait until, the 2019 season is over with and see who did what and because of??
Lots of snotty and nasty replies and there is no reason for that, so the question is will CV move to the BVAL and how well will they do???
Will the new coaching staff at Folsom keep rolling?? And what teams are going to rise up and pull off some surprises???

GUYS.....This subject has been beaten to death, its running from Football away to Academics which has nothing to do with football..
So this subject has to stop and wait until, the 2019 season is over with and see who did what and because of??
Lots of snotty and nasty replies and there is no reason for that, so the question is will CV move to the BVAL and how well will they do???
Will the new coaching staff at Folsom keep rolling?? And what teams are going to rise up and pull off some surprises???
Here's a relevant article that came out today. The NCS football playoffs has been turned upside down for over three decades ('91 is a HUGE outlier). Will the right decision be made? Will transfers continue to be alienated in an unfair playing field? WIll players and schools get an equal chance at progressing? Will DLS athletics continue to abuse their economic and competitive advantage over the rest of the entire NCS in 98% of the sports? We shall see! But I think we all know the answer. DLS, whoops, the NCS won't let equality take hold. There's far too much money at stake for DLS, gosh darn it, I mean the NCS... oh wait, yes, NCSDLS has too much money at stake. I mean after all, DLS offers SUUUUUCH a magnificent education and works SOOOOOO much harder in athletics than everyone else that it really shouldn't matter if the playoffs are rightfully split up equally.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/22/as-ncs-football-playoff-changes-loom-we-offer-suggestions/

Here's a relevant article that came out today. The NCS football playoffs has been turned upside down for over three decades ('91 is a HUGE outlier). Will the right decision be made? Will transfers continue to be alienated in an unfair playing field? WIll players and schools get an equal chance at progressing? Will DLS athletics continue to abuse their economic and competitive advantage over the rest of the entire NCS in 98% of the sports? We shall see! But I think we all know the answer. DLS, whoops, the NCS won't let equality take hold. There's far too much money at stake for DLS, gosh darn it, I mean the NCS... oh wait, yes, NCSDLS has too much money at stake. I mean after all, DLS offers SUUUUUCH a magnificent education and works SOOOOOO much harder in athletics than everyone else that it really shouldn't matter if the playoffs are rightfully split up equally.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/22/as-ncs-football-playoff-changes-loom-we-offer-suggestions/
GUYS''''DLS has been a powerhouse by having a fleet of kids come from all over the bay area, striping local high schools of kids that will change the out look for each school, so the only way to put a stop to this is to set up borders that DLS can draw from such as seven or eight miles in all directions. That's still a large area to draw from when you consider how much population there is in this area .

GUYS''''DLS has been a powerhouse by having a fleet of kids come from all over the bay area, striping local high schools of kids that will change the out look for each school, so the only way to put a stop to this is to set up borders that DLS can draw from such as seven or eight miles in all directions. That's still a large area to draw from when you consider how much population there is in this area .
Blue dog- just read the news or watch the movie. Not “Game Stands Tall”, that’s Hollywood fiction. Knew it when the opening caption showed Coach lived in Concord when it was San Ramon for 30 years. (Sadly, the house was sold recently.) Catch “Spotlight” on Netflix/cable. The Catholic Church and Brethren subsidiaries have experienced drastic reductions in parochial school applications. Even some deLa hardnosers have lamented the evolving student body. The governing Oakland Diocese has its own current problems with a now-revealed cover up of abusive actions; the obfuscations just keep piling up and the trickle down- and litigation- has been happening for many years. dLS will never accept any limitations (nor insight) on how they determine their pool of applicants, etc. Yes, it’d be hallowed if only Catholics were accepted, or if they had the rigorous vetting of a higher level faith based institution such as Berean Christian. They’re not required by their leaders, so they do not. It’ll be tell-tale if the Fed District Court rules against Harvard and the suit brought by Asians. You can bet it’ll appeal to the SCOTUS. Harvard protects it’s brand much more deeply than some two-bit hotel owner.
www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/us/harvard-asian-admission.amp.html

But Paloma knows the background re #133 above.

Telling a private institution or business for that matter where they can draw from seems like a bad idea in all honesty. And I’ll just leave it at that so the hall monitor doesn’t delete.

Telling a private institution or business for that matter where they can draw from seems like a bad idea in all honesty. And I’ll just leave it at that so the hall monitor doesn’t delete.
And that private sector in education is what drives opposition to confront the disparity in rules and regulations that favors a conglomerate like De La Salle and it’s athletic department. Either be a private enterprise based on educational prosperity, or continue to participate in the public sector of of high school athletics and be subject to regulations that prevents competitive inequalities. Or leave things as is and leave yourself open to continued, and justifiable, ridicule.

It’s literally that simple.

Speaking of which. Word is the NCS football playoff system is going back to the old format and Clayton is going to the BVAL. Hail Sparta!

If dls wasn’t so good at football nobody including me would give a damn where they drew students from. This thread is about transfers. Some think transferring is part of having choices. These kids transferring to play football are not making choices. Their parents are and they are influenced by coaches who need to win. And the coaches are cheating to do it. Sean Dollars was asked about the address on his application and he had no idea it was a condo and he couldn’t tell them what color it was. That tells me someone from MD gave him that address. It’s the schools not the kids that are trying to better themselves.

If dls wasn’t so good at football nobody including me would give a damn where they drew students from. This thread is about transfers. Some think transferring is part of having choices. These kids transferring to play football are not making choices. Their parents are and they are influenced by coaches who need to win. And the coaches are cheating to do it. Sean Dollars was asked about the address on his application and he had no idea it was a condo and he couldn’t tell them what color it was. That tells me someone from MD gave him that address. It’s the schools not the kids that are trying to better themselves.
In my opinion DLS has created the transfer monster. SoCal schools just used the mid year transfer loop hole, while DLS has built it’s monopoly on junior high school prospects. So it is all relevant. Otherwise it is hypocritical to bash/punish transfers when a school like DLS has had a thirty year head start with open boundaries.

I wonder where all of the nay sayers were his weekend when that wrestler won DLS a state title. The same wrestler that transferred from San Ramon Valley. Let me guess... no one cares about wrestling?

I see MACKHOUSE is loading up this offseason. Couple kids from San Leandro and El Cerrito have jumped ship to win a State Championship.

In my opinion DLS has created the transfer monster. SoCal schools just used the mid year transfer loop hole, while DLS has built it’s monopoly on junior high school prospects. So it is all relevant. Otherwise it is hypocritical to bash/punish transfers when a school like DLS has had a thirty year head start with open boundaries.

I wonder where all of the nay sayers were his weekend when that wrestler won DLS a state title. The same wrestler that transferred from San Ramon Valley. Let me guess... no one cares about wrestling?

DLS had a wrestler win STATE?? Awesome!! Congrats DLS!!

Reactions: THEOC89 and remc

Apples and oranges. I don’t have the same absolute hatred that you do for dls. What dls does is completely different then what SoCal football is doing. As for wrestling. I don’t care about it. But if dls did something wrong they should have to pay the price. I don’t know the circumstances of his transfer. I don’t believe he had to go to dls to win state. So something tells me there’s more to it then that. Without all the transfers at MD they don’t win a state championship.

Apples and oranges. I don’t have the same absolute hatred that you do for dls. What dls does is completely different then what SoCal football is doing. As for wrestling. I don’t care about it. But if dls did something wrong they should have to pay the price. I don’t know the circumstances of his transfer. I don’t believe he had to go to dls to win state. So something tells me there’s more to it then that. Without all the transfers at MD they don’t win a state championship.

DLS didn’t win state, just the transfer student/athlete. It’s not just football, DLS gets student/athletes that are high level athletes in most all sports.

DLS didn’t win state, just the transfer student/athlete. It’s not just football, DLS gets student/athletes that are high level athletes in most all sports.
Guys..Like it or not, if you want a balanced field, DLS must have boundaries just like school dist. a 30 year run as the champion is amazing, but at the cost of every school dist. in the area. Like one of the guys say, no business likes to be told what to do, but the green machine will keep rolling along until action is taken and DLS faces what every school dist faces...

Guys..Like it or not, if you want a balanced field, DLS must have boundaries just like school dist. a 30 year run as the champion is amazing, but at the cost of every school dist. in the area. Like one of the guys say, no business likes to be told what to do, but the green machine will keep rolling along until action is taken and DLS faces what every school dist faces...

Plenty of schools have open enrollment without the same success as DLS. At some point people need to accept that it’s not all because they have open enrollment. I get it to accept this idea would also mean accepting there is clear flaws in ones own program and most folks here don’t seem able to do that. More tyranny and regulation is rarely the answer.

All privates have open boundaries, not just DDOS.Same for MD,Bosch etc. And eight grade/youth football wonders don't always translate to similar status as varsity football players. MD and SJB already had open boundaries, they went one step further by taking transfers once a kid had entered has.Thereby negating the youth football phenom who didn't develop any further.Sorry, but DLS didn't cause that.

I see MACKHOUSE is loading up this offseason. Couple kids from San Leandro and El Cerrito have jumped ship to win a State Championship.

A kid who was at Mcclymonds his 9th and 10th grade year who transfer to El Cerrito his 11th grade year then went back to mack? Who is the kid from San Leandro? Do you have facts or you starting rumors

A kid who was at Mcclymonds his 9th and 10th grade year who transfer to El Cerrito his 11th grade year then went back to mack? Who is the kid from San Leandro? Do you have facts or you starting rumors
All privates have open boundaries, not just DDOS.Same for MD,Bosch etc. And eight grade/youth football wonders don't always translate to similar status as varsity football players. MD and SJB already had open boundaries, they went one step further by taking transfers once a kid had entered has.Thereby negating the youth football phenom who didn't develop any further.Sorry, but DLS didn't cause that.
Sorry about the misspelling, damn spellcheck plus small keypad

@CoachBusco The only facts that I have, are the words I was told by a QB Coach Travis, that utilizes the facilities at Mack. What affiliation he has with the program I do not know. Seems like a nice guy.

@CoachBusco The only facts that I have, are the words I was told by a QB Coach Travis, that utilizes the facilities at Mack. What affiliation he has with the program I do not know. Seems like a nice guy.

Travis Don’t even coach for Mcclymonds he haven’t coach there in 3 years ! And he was coaching there he didn’t finish the year with the team.

What does every school face? How have the boundaries stopped Pittsburg, Liberty and Freedom and Heritage with all their transfers the last few years?

More tyranny and regulation is rarely the answer.
Sure. But wouldn't you agree that schools asked to compete against each other should operate under the same exact rules? I don't care which rules they are, just make them uniform across the board. Level the playing field. Public, private, charter...I don't care. Just make it the same, rules wise. Then there are truly no more excuses.

Reactions: Kickingtee18

Folsom had 2 wrestling state qualifiers this year and they were both transfers as well...sorry couldn’t help it

Sure. But wouldn't you agree that schools asked to compete against each other should operate under the same exact rules? I don't care which rules they are, just make them uniform across the board. Level the playing field. Public, private, charter...I don't care. Just make it the same, rules wise. Then there are truly no more excuses.

First off excuses are the tool of a loser winners never use them. Second are we going to now pretend like every school with open enrollment has done what DLS has? Everybody knows the answer is they haven’t. Many schools have open enrollment and some are public and charters do as well, yet they don’t have the same accomplishments as DLS, why? I mean if that’s the missing or key piece to the puzzle why don’t they all have same success? Because reality is it has very little to do with the success, it’s the program, commitment, coaching, tradition, etc. Build it and kids will come.

Oh and for what it’s worth I have no problem with private and public leagues. I don’t think it’s right but understand why people would want it. Myself I think kids should be where they are happy and teams should accept or embrace challenges, losing isn’t a bad thing it’s part of life.

First off excuses are the tool of a loser winners never use them. Second are we going to now pretend like every school with open enrollment has done what DLS has? Everybody knows the answer is they haven’t. Many schools have open enrollment and some are public and charters do as well, yet they don’t have the same accomplishments as DLS, why? I mean if that’s the missing or key piece to the puzzle why don’t they all have same success? Because reality is it has very little to do with the success, it’s the program, commitment, coaching, tradition, etc. Build it and kids will come.

Oh and for what it’s worth I have no problem with private and public leagues. I don’t think it’s right but understand why people would want it. Myself I think kids should be where they are happy and teams should accept or embrace challenges, losing isn’t a bad thing it’s part of life.

I am not sure private leagues would survive, other than the WCAL, and DLS would have to join them.
This brings up the old saw that DLS can't, because of travel. I always thought that excuse was silly, considering North Section teams sometimes travel 2-3 hrs in snow storms.
It would serve DLS, privates, and public's to have a boundary. This would give your argument complete and total validity.

Here's wishing you great football

Reactions: observer22
You men understand that school borders has absolutely nothing to do with athletics don’t you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT