ADVERTISEMENT

Let The Transfer Games Begin

Paloma

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2012
Read that Sacred Heart quarterback Raymond Price is transferring to Menlo-Atherton. GetSportsFocus posted it. Many rumors swirling in the BVAL with kids leaving Freedom and Antioch. Liberty attained the most transfers last year so I’m sure now that will stay the same after their state game. Pittsburg and Clayton will get their share as well. Going to be interesting where the chips end up.

NorCal is starting to see more of a "transfer" season. Not a fan of it, but it is what it is.

Nice pick-up for Menlo-Atherton. I liked Price when I saw Sacred Heart Prep last year

NorCal is starting to see more of a "transfer" season. Not a fan of it, but it is what it is.

Nice pick-up for Menlo-Atherton. I liked Price when I saw Sacred Heart Prep last year
With all this pouncing around of players wanting to play on a winner, we have Deer Valley who has a huge population and I'm sure that there are plenty of ball players in the crowd....Or do they chose to hang out at the 7-11. The JV's went 0-10 and the Freshmen went 3-7 which does not give a very good out look to the varsity in the coming years. Also, how many kids may have or will transfer from Deer Valley if they have any skills to the schools that are next door to them...

I know most transfers are seen as athletically motivated and this may be the reason in the majority of the cases but there are other reasons why kids transfer as well. I have seen many public school students transfer to private schools in hopes of what they think are off the field opportunities(networking, faith based education, being around like minded individuals). I have also seen Private school students transfer to public school because they simply want to be with their friends and the just fit in better socially.
I understand both sides here in regards to students transferring but I am going to have to side with the student in all cases. If a student doesn't want to be somewhere and has what they think is an opportunity else where, they should be be able to go. I understand the "loyalty" argument and the "pride" argument but Coaches at all levels(pro,college,HS) leave all the time. I can probably count on one hand the amount of bay area coaches that have been at the same program for more than 10 years. This rarely happens. If coaches get upset about students transferring, I feel like focusing on other things would be beneficial such as:

1. Build a better program(athletically, academically)
2. Build better relationships with players
3. Build better relationships with families
4. Win.

Reactions: Sacchiefs and DCOJD
I know most transfers are seen as athletically motivated and this may be the reason in the majority of the cases but there are other reasons why kids transfer as well. I have seen many public school students transfer to private schools in hopes of what they think are off the field opportunities(networking, faith based education, being around like minded individuals). I have also seen Private school students transfer to public school because they simply want to be with their friends and the just fit in better socially.
I understand both sides here in regards to students transferring but I am going to have to side with the student in all cases. If a student doesn't want to be somewhere and has what they think is an opportunity else where, they should be be able to go. I understand the "loyalty" argument and the "pride" argument but Coaches at all levels(pro,college,HS) leave all the time. I can probably count on one hand the amount of bay area coaches that have been at the same program for more than 10 years. This rarely happens. If coaches get upset about students transferring, I feel like focusing on other things would be beneficial such as:

4. Win.

Well said. I for one have never understood suspending kids for transferring. Seem counterproductive in all reality. If kids aren’t happy with playing time, coach, academics, or the lunch menu they should be able to seek a better situation. For that to cost them eligibility be it 6 games or season is ridiculous. They only get 4 years to play anyway. Gil Lemmon and his rubber stamp suspend policy has always seemed more like tyrant than anything else to me. His decisions have never seemed to put what’s best for the kid first.

With all this pouncing around of players wanting to play on a winner, we have Deer Valley who has a huge population and I'm sure that there are plenty of ball players in the crowd....Or do they chose to hang out at the 7-11. The JV's went 0-10 and the Freshmen went 3-7 which does not give a very good out look to the varsity in the coming years. Also, how many kids may have or will transfer from Deer Valley if they have any skills to the schools that are next door to them...
GUYS...Seems, Deer Valley could not field a JV team in 2018,so everything went to the Varsity, so who knows what will take place in 2019.... I wanted to see what Deer Valley had in 2018 and went to the DV-American Canyon game and there was no JV game...And DV beat American Canyon and it looked like they were off to a good start. But when league play began, it was all down hill...

I like the series between Wood & Deer Valley...Bluedog2, do you know anyone that may have info on Wood's 2019 Schedule?

I like the series between Wood & Deer Valley...Bluedog2, do you know anyone that may have info on Wood's 2019 Schedule?
NCSCALFOOTBALL.....This series between Wood, Deer Valley and Vintage for what ever reason, doesn't make a lot of sense. Wood was a lot stronger then on paper then it looked...knocking off Vintage 35-7 was the big surprise because what Vintage did later to Antioch and swept the Vine league, put up a good fight in the final playoff....In the early going Vintage looked like a so-so team, but they were just finding them selves. Wood caught Vintage at the right time and I saw Deer Valley play American Canyon and it looked like Deer Valley was going to stop Wood. But Woods defense held Deer Valley down and the other surprise was Alhambra beating Wood 10-7 in a full scrimmage...But the reason for the lose was Wood recievers dropping sure catch passes. So it all gets down to who comes to play, win loose records in most cases don't mean a lot.

4. Win.
I would agree with you taking the side of the STUDENT. If a student feels like another school offers a better educational opportunity then absolutely transfer. I totally disagree when you Compare student athletes to coaches, pros, and collage athletes. Your talking about teenage kids. There supposed to go to school to get an education not win a state championship. When you allow transfers for athletic purposes then you take the student out of student athletes. When your graduating a student on how many yards or tds he has instead of how well he knows math then you have a problem. I will always side with the student and never with the athlete when it comes to transfers.

I would agree with you taking the side of the STUDENT. If a student feels like another school offers a better educational opportunity then absolutely transfer. I totally disagree when you Compare student athletes to coaches, pros, and collage athletes. Your talking about teenage kids. There supposed to go to school to get an education not win a state championship. When you allow transfers for athletic purposes then you take the student out of student athletes. When your graduating a student on how many yards or tds he has instead of how well he knows math then you have a problem. I will always side with the student and never with the athlete when it comes to transfers.

I am not sure you understand my point. I am comparing transferring students to coaches(at any level) who leave. Coaches leave their schools all the time for many reasons. Students should be able to transfer just like coaches are able to leave at any time. The "student" will never be taken out of "student-athlete" regardless of a transfer because at the end of the day, students still need to be eligible and earn a diploma through academics.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
I am not sure you understand my point. I am comparing transferring students to coaches(at any level) who leave. Coaches leave their schools all the time for many reasons. Students should be able to transfer just like coaches are able to leave at any time. The "student" will never be taken out of "student-athlete" regardless of a transfer because at the end of the day, students still need to be eligible and earn a diploma through academics.
I do understand what your saying. I just disagree with comparing transferring students to coaches who leave. And my concern isn’t at any level it’s only at the high school level. Your comparing high school kids who can’t make there own decisions without there parents permission to adults who have to make a living. I don’t have a problem with a student transferring for educational purposes. That’s why they go to high school. But if your transferring to high school to win a state championship then that’s a athletic transfer. IMO athletic transfers shouldn’t be allowed. I feel that if you transfer without moving then you should forfeit one calendar year of HS sports.

Reactions: 13 others
IMO athletic transfers shouldn’t be allowed. I feel that if you transfer without moving then you should forfeit one calendar year of HS sports.

You lose me here.For what reason should anyone have to sit a year? Because they want to play sports where they want to play they should be penalized? I know it sounds ridiculous right.
I would really like to know what is this horrible thing of transferring to play a sport? I have yet to hear a good argument

I do understand what your saying. I just disagree with comparing transferring students to coaches who leave. And my concern isn’t at any level it’s only at the high school level. Your comparing high school kids who can’t make there own decisions without there parents permission to adults who have to make a living. I don’t have a problem with a student transferring for educational purposes. That’s why they go to high school. But if your transferring to high school to win a state championship then that’s a athletic transfer. IMO athletic transfers shouldn’t be allowed. I feel that if you transfer without moving then you should forfeit one calendar year of HS sports.
In your opinion, why should students be penalized for transferring because of athletics? I understand the status quo of education first and I agree with this but to punish a student/family for transferring doesn't seem fair/right.

Unfortunately, we currently live in a world where athletics and academics are not seen as being on the same level of importance in most HS's. I am saying this as an educated person. I learned more in the weight room and on the football field than I ever did in a classroom. I am not downplaying education whatsoever here. I am simply saying athletics and academics should be on the same level of importance. This is why we are seeing the IMG's of the world rising and private schools paying their athletic coaches the big bucks. They realize, athletics is just as important as academics. You go to HS for an education, shouldn't the lessons you learn be a part of that education?

Reactions: Sacchiefs
You lose me here.For what reason should anyone have to sit a year? Because they want to play sports where they want to play they should be penalized? I know it sounds ridiculous right.
I would really like to know what is this horrible thing of transferring to play a sport? I have yet to hear a good argument

I think the remedies that exist out there are there to dissuade the receiving school for "influencing" the transfer. We never really know how the kid came to the decision. We often naively think that the transfer was entirely because that is what the kid wants, but often it is the parents, and then, of course, how did the parents come to that decision? Were they influenced by a 7 on & coach who has relationships with the coaches at the school they are interested in? Is their money involved like there is in basketball? Are there housing options being offered behind the scenes? Are boosters involved like we see in college? Is money transferring hands? Are their scholarships being offered?

For those who are saying kids should have a choice, I agree, but only if none of this other stuff is going on because what you are really agreeing to is stuffing the ballot box for championships and recruiting focus if that other stuff doesn't matter....and I am talking about the shadier stuff I mention above because we all know it is happening in some places. Is that fair? And is that the kind of system we can be proud of? High school football is not just for our entertainment, it is turning boys into men of character. I still believe that.

I think the remedies that exist out there are there to dissuade the receiving school for "influencing" the transfer. We never really know how the kid came to the decision. We often naively think that the transfer was entirely because that is what the kid wants, but often it is the parents, and then, of course, how did the parents come to that decision? Were they influenced by a 7 on & coach who has relationships with the coaches at the school they are interested in? Is their money involved like there is in basketball? Are there housing options being offered behind the scenes? Are boosters involved like we see in college? Is money transferring hands? Are their scholarships being offered?

For those who are saying kids should have a choice, I agree, but only if none of this other stuff is going on because what you are really agreeing to is stuffing the ballot box for championships and recruiting focus if that other stuff doesn't matter....and I am talking about the shadier stuff I mention above because we all know it is happening in some places. Is that fair? And is that the kind of system we can be proud of? High school football is not just for our entertainment, it is turning boys into men of character. I still believe that.
I firmly believe HS(edit* football*) (assists the transition of) boys into men of character ONLY when their coaches practice the highest levels of integrity. When THAT is lacking, the charge reverts to whom it really belongs- the family. Expecting otherwise is foolish.

Regarding athletic transfers I can deduce that many, many public districts in the Bay Area which strictly enforce boundaries lead to a direct correlation to home equity. But seriously, HS sports is NOT going to put food on the table no matter what “life experiences” or hard knocks a kid finds there.

Last edited:
GUYS...All these things you mention sound true, but if a kid transfers for education find and dandy, but its for sports, all it takes is one kid to change the possibility of a school from going from a 6-4 season to a 8-2 or 9-1. All it takes is a kid blessed with skills to have it rub off on the balance of the kids as they workout. You get two or maybe three kids of skill and you have the makings of a champion ship team while the teams that are giving up these skilled kids suffer.
Good example, the running back at Liberty that transferred from Antioch changed the Lions running game and he became a driving force for Liberty while Antioch lost the kid to a transfer which would have changed how Antioch ran the offense.

I won’t argue your point but until it can be proven it’s nothing more than a talking point.I will ask you when was the last time any of those accusations were proven against a school and how often

GUYS...All these things you mention sound true, but if a kid transfers for education find and dandy, but its for sports, all it takes is one kid to change the possibility of a school from going from a 6-4 season to a 8-2 or 9-1. All it takes is a kid blessed with skills to have it rub off on the balance of the kids as they workout. You get two or maybe three kids of skill and you have the makings of a champion ship team while the teams that are giving up these skilled kids suffer.
Good example, the running back at Liberty that transferred from Antioch changed the Lions running game and he became a driving force for Liberty while Antioch lost the kid to a transfer which would have changed how Antioch ran the offense.

And I say so what.
That’s life.People come and go it’s a life lesson that you can only control what you do not what others do so don’t be dependent on them

And I say so what.
That’s life.People come and go it’s a life lesson that you can only control what you do not what others do so don’t be dependent on them
ARARA....So what you are saying is that we need more DLS's, Folsom's
, Central Catholic's and all the rest of the teams can take the beatings. So a hand full of kids can have their bell rung.
If the kid that transferred to Liberty would have stayed at Antioch, there is a very good chance that Liberty could have lost a few games, one in particular was the Pittsburg game. In any case, let the transfers hit high gear and lets see how the season ends.

Reactions: Paloma
No, I’m saying parents should be able to send their children to the school they deemed best without repercussions because now the-team they left isn’t as good without him/her

Read that Sacred Heart quarterback Raymond Price is transferring to Menlo-Atherton. GetSportsFocus posted it. Many rumors swirling in the BVAL with kids leaving Freedom and Antioch. Liberty attained the most transfers last year so I’m sure now that will stay the same after their state game. Pittsburg and Clayton will get their share as well. Going to be interesting where the chips end up.

Reactions: Paloma
I won’t argue your point but until it can be proven it’s nothing more than a talking point.I will ask you when was the last time any of those accusations were proven against a school and how often

They never will because parents won’t rat on themselves, nor will the kids, nor will the influencers.

Basketball got caught.

Football will get caught only when someone decides to spend the money to investigate it properly which means you would have to setup a school/s with a sting to gather evidence and then who pays for that?

I know you know this but just because no one has been caught doesn’t mean it ain’t happening. Catching people is hard cause it happens out of sight and ear shot of everyone except those that benefit.

Reactions: 1315 and 13 others
HS turns boys into men of character ONLY when their coaches practice the highest levels of integrity.
Overblown? Being a Del Oro fanatic on this board you know DO had more than one coach suspended for lack of integrity, will those boys still turn into men?

Franklin of Stockton back in 2007, I’m not saying recruiting scandals happen a lot but they do happen.

I have no issues with kids transferring, as long as the parents are paying for the education. If it is a public school, then John T Taxpayer is buying the ride and you have to follow the rules.....Privates do your thing, publics just follow the rules!

Reactions: 1315 and RidgeRider
Privates do your thing, publics just follow the rules!

Point is the rules restrict kids and families from choices. If schools want to be athletic powerhouses in sports go for it, like minded kids/families will come. If schools wants to become academic powerhouses great like minded people will come. Imagine telling a kid they can’t participate in Trig, or band, or take physics because they transferred to take part in that praticular institutions program because it was better than one they left. In reality it’s a lame concept and punishes the kid.

Most boys will turn into men just through the normal aging process, but the prior poster was referring to men of character.

I would love to buy into this line of thinking unfortunately masculinity has been under attack for awhile now. All to often it seems our boys simply stay just that boys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT