ADVERTISEMENT

Little league WS...Petaluma

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
I was at a Petaluma HS Frosh basketball game earlier this year...and sitting in the stands I started up a conversation with a parent at Petaluma HS. Apparently all but 3 of the Petaluma Little League world series team are at Petaluma HS and not Casa Grande, which honestly was a shocker to me. It will be interesting to see how those kids develop over the next few years and if it translates to the varsity level.

NBguru -

Is the BIG little leaguer named ? Smith there also. Man he had a lot of getting better to do with just normal stuff.

Actually that's not surprising at all. There are 3 leagues in Petaluma. Petaluma National, which went to the LL Word Series., is located on the west side of town -- west of the 101. Petaluma HS is also west of the freeway. Both Petaluma American and Valley, are east of the 101, as is Casa Grande HS. So it's only natural for PNLL kids to attend PHS.

There is open enrollment in Petaluma, and some of the kids who played on the WS team are attending Casa, including the son of the head coach.

Sad news out of Petaluma this week. Bradley Smith, AKA The Big Cat, who attends Petaluma and played frosh basketball, was seriously injured in an ATV accident over the weekend. Both arms were broken and a vertabra was crushed. He was in grave condition for a while and but appears to be doing better and should make a full recovery or close to it.

This post was edited on 2/25 4:00 PM by Quaffer

Bkwd- The big kid has become more of a recreational player. North bay guru- the top two 12 year olds in that age group in Petaluma didn't play on the LLWS team. They are 2017 grads and committed to Cal and ASU. Two of the top guys from that LL team are also there and I consider them D1 prospects. Casa Grande will be very good in the next couple years.

The big kid is the one who is injured.

PNLL almost didn't make it out of District 35 that year because they had to beat PVLL 2 out of 3, and when they played, that ASU kid was very clearly the best player on the field. And he was an 11yo, not a 12yo. The CAL kid was playing Cal Ripken, I believe, also as a 11yo.

Quaffer- Sorry to hear about Bradley Smith. I'm not sure about the names of the LL teams but the year the Petaluma kids went to the LLWS was 2012, and both Torkelson and Joaquim were 12, not 11. They are both 15 now as is Hance Smith, Quentin Gago, Bradley Smith, et al.

NCSF, you are right. I was misremembering because I was thinking of when I knew Spenny in travelball he was playing one year up, though in the same grade as his friends.

Gotcha, makes sense. Petaluma has certainly had its share of great baseball.

Thanks for all the info!!

I am a complete novice on youth baseball, not my sport, I'm a basketball guy....as a Sonoma county resident though I was mesmerized by those guys run to the LLWS..

I just thought it was interesting info that the parents relayed to me that day.

Thanks for clarifying it for me...

I look forward to seeing how it all plays out...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT