ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead to DO Folsom

Jfoyosoul

Superstar
Aug 21, 2015
Just interested in thoughts...

The Folsom DO game should decide league title. Initially, after seeing DO pound OR I thought Folsom would have a decent opponent and maybe only won by 3 tds but now that the Grant game was close for DO I am thinking maybe 4 - 5 tds, if Folsom crushes Grant - which I am thinking 48 - 7 or something like that.

If anyone has seen both play, do you think it will be Folsom crushing DO or closer to a 3 td score? DO will play with passion and energy I know that! Loomis should be buzzing and I am going to try and go to game

Folsom isn’t besting grant 47-7 lol if they’re mentally motivated and fired up (which they will be) it’ll be close this will be their first test since dls to play a team with players that can run with folsoms playmakers. #6 from Del Oro is a tougher cover than ngata man was he fast

DO had players ejected vs Grant(not sure who). Regardless Folsom is 5-6 scores better. Folsom 56-14
ya’ll right, 2 ejected for del oro, the coach was suspended last year, not a lotta discipline on team, they were frustrated by grant who played hard, folsom just too good.

Folsom isn’t besting grant 47-7 lol if they’re mentally motivated and fired up (which they will be) it’ll be close this will be their first test since dls to play a team with players that can run with folsoms playmakers. #6 from Del Oro is a tougher cover than ngata man was he fast

Grant will be an SJS force with this group, probably not this season, but look out next year. Very young team now. If they'd have gotten the 2 pnt conversion off, this might be a different thread. Every good team every season has a tough game where they aren't playing well or aren't disciplined. The Golden Eagles found some way to get out of there with the W. I would love to predict a crazy upset like in 09 when DO def FOL down 35-3 at half, but with this Bulldog team - they will roll us. Props to Folsom, they have built it and the players keep coming. Plus their junior program is on a par with tops in the area just like DO. #6 Johnny Rocket Guzman, he's been fastest kid on the field since he was 7. I coached him in jr ball, he was always and still is -- a force in the return game, his REC skills continue to get better and better, heck of a punter too. Rocket's a multi sport talent in hoops and baseball, wish he was still playing CF, cannon and robbed alot of kids of gap doubles that wound up outs. Hoops coach would love him to come back out for sr year IMO. Next year he'll be playing somewhere DI Sat's, he's currently under the radar but not.

Last edited:
Grant will be an SJS force with this group, probably not this season, but look out next year. Very young team now. If they'd have gotten the 2 pnt conversion off, this might be a different thread. Every good team every season has a tough game where they aren't playing well or aren't disciplined. The Golden Eagles found some way to get out of there with the W. I would love to predict a crazy upset like in 09 when DO def FOL down 35-3 at half, but with this Bulldog team - they will roll us. Props to Folsom, they have built it and the players keep coming. Plus their junior program is on a par with tops in the area just like DO. #6 Johnny Rocket Guzman, he's been fastest kid on the field since he was 7. I coached him in jr ball, he was always and still is -- a force in the return game. Also a talented multi sport kid, wish he was playing CF still, cannon and robbed alot of kids of gap doubles that wound up outs, hoops too. IMO he'll be playing somewhere good on Sat's, he's currently under the radar but not.
The kid is a baller. I’ll have to follow his career moving forward They missed a pat at the beginning and misses on a 2 point after then the debacle at the end was a killer we should’ve never needed that 2pt conversion at the end but it was a hell of game I don’t know why our team doesn’t play like that every game. We make a lot of mental mistakes that crush us. I’ve been on this forum for years telling the sfl posters when grant plays in the sfl people will see we still have all the tools to get back competing for sections. This crop of kids are graduation they’d be even tougher if they never lost chad Elliot son that kid was a born qb. But our youth programs in the area are ranked top 3 on almost all levels in the youth rankings.

Grant will be an SJS force with this group, probably not this season, but look out next year. Very young team now. If they'd have gotten the 2 pnt conversion off, this might be a different thread. Every good team every season has a tough game where they aren't playing well or aren't disciplined.
Grant outplayed DO, the missed PATs were the reason DO "got the W". Not the only game they've been undisciplined, got away with it because their schedule was soft. Grant was the first real team they played, Folsom will be the 2nd one.

Grant played an awesome game against DO. Had a chance to win it late. Couldn’t believe they got a delay of game penalty after a timeout. How is your QB not in the huddle in a timeout when you are planning to go for two?! Overall was a fun game to watch and Grant belongs in the SFL.

...but with this Bulldog team - they will roll us...
Unfortunately @DelOroFB_Dad I have to agree with you.

I’d like to come into the game with wishful thinking but even with a good DO team this year I’ve seen this movie before. You have to apply significant pressure on Bennett to have a chance like DLS did. While DO has a good and physical DL they are not DLS’s DL and Ngata and Badger will get their stats.

I expect DO could be in a dog fight this week with Rocklin as Rocklin needs to win their next two games to make the playoffs. Also this is one of DO’s biggest rivalry games so I hope it is a dog fight that will harden them a bit before game with Folsom.

Calpreps projection if Folsom 42, DO 24. I think Folsom puts up north of 50 to tune up for playoffs. Does Folsom really need to tune up?;)

For me it will be a victory for DO if they put 21+ on Folsom.

Reactions: DelOroFB_Dad
It's easy to concede the outcome here, but I've been around football long enough to know that NOTHING is guaranteed when you are talking about kids (and yes, they all are just kids).

From coming up empty in continuous trips to the red zone (see DLS) to injuries (See Grant vs. Folsom II - '10) to underestimating your opponent and assuming the outcome is a foregone conclusion (See Sacramento vs. Folsom - '16) to something as mundane as failing a Spanish test or "best girl" trouble, there has never been a circumstance that a victory was guaranteed.

I think DO has the talent, moxi & coaching to bring a game to Folsom that makes them work....and as cliche' as it sounds, Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard (or give effort, or pay attention, or has a brain fart) HAHA

Calpreps projection if Folsom 42, DO 24
Calpreps needs to check box scores. Will DO score more than De La Salle's 14? Sure, anything is possible, like 15. Odds are it will take more pick 6s and kickoff returns by #6 than normal.
Every good team every season has a tough game where they aren't playing well or aren't disciplined.
Will say it again for good measure, great teams may not play well but are disciplined and still win. Grant's loss was their own doing.
For me it will be a victory for DO if they put 21+ on Folsom.
And it will need to come from all 3 areas of the game.

Rocklin 13 D.O 7, rocklin playing solid defense. Some really untimely sacks for the RHS offense, ball needs to come out. DO 44, is a beast. Rocklin has to make them pay when they twin blitz the edge, replace right at them.

Great game.

Weird ending to the half, it appeared thunder stop the golden eagles short then the ball was fumbled forward, but after 10 min official conference they gave 1st and close to goal to DO? They, del oro scored with like 20 secs left in the half.

Oh boy...this should be framed.

Oh boy...this should be framed.
Folsom could’ve won by 100. Eye test sys they both looked evenly matched missing #55 this game really hurt but I think grant would’ve struggled with folsoms back ups that’s how lopsided the coaching staffs are. I said this before I’ll say it again #3 looks like folsoms best player I know the ngata are the featured players but #3 looks faster and overall just a baller I wasn’t as impressed with Joe Ngata. Folsoms is really good at what they do. I know folsom is returning some talent next year but the drop off from starters to 2nd string is pretty big I’d be shocked if they won it all next year. Hats off to folsom they are a really good high school team but with that being said with the eye test I don’t see them coming close to sjb or Mater Dei

Folsom could’ve won by 100. Eye test sys they both looked evenly matched missing #55 this game really hurt but I think grant would’ve struggled with folsoms back ups that’s how lopsided the coaching staffs are. I said this before I’ll say it again #3 looks like folsoms best player I know the ngata are the featured players but #3 looks faster and overall just a baller I wasn’t as impressed with Joe Ngata. Folsoms is really good at what they do. I know folsom is returning some talent next year but the drop off from starters to 2nd string is pretty big I’d be shocked if they won it all next year. Hats off to folsom they are a really good high school team but with that being said with the eye test I don’t see them coming close to sjb or Mater Dei

Good observation. I think they have all of the skill players to make things happen next year too. But what about the line play? Not so much unless its just the lack of practice reps.

I think DO gets absolutely hammered next week. If I could bet it I would give DO 42. No disrespect but isn't it becoming pretty clear that this Folsom team is on a level many of us have never seen before?

I think DO gets absolutely hammered next week. If I could bet it I would give DO 42. No disrespect but isn't it becoming pretty clear that this Folsom team is on a level many of us have never seen before?

They are really good I think it has more to do about the other teams not being as good the whole sfl is down. I don’t think this folsoms team is much different from the dominant teams in the past. THe sfl is a mess

They are really good I think it has more to do about the other teams not being as good the whole sfl is down. I don’t think this folsoms team is much different from the dominant teams in the past. THe sfl is a mess
Agree that Folsom is really good. Don’t agree SFL is a mess, down yes but not a mess. By SFL standards OR, Granite Bay, Grant and Rocklin are down but by no means a mess. OR and Grant are in playoffs and Granite Bay is one win away. I’d say Del Oro is on par with last year’s team. Only team I’d say is a “mess” by SFL standards is Whitney.

Agree that Folsom is really good. Don’t agree SFL is a mess, down yes but not a mess. By SFL standards OR, Granite Bay, Grant and Rocklin are down but by no means a mess. OR and Grant are in playoffs and Granite Bay is one win away. I’d say Del Oro is on par with last year’s team. Only team I’d say is a “mess” by SFL standards is Whitney.

Having seen GB and OR play, I am left feeling a little wanting if those are playoff teams. But I think the first round of the playoffs is largely worthless in any case.

According to GB and OR, it is not the quality of their teams that is deficient. It is Folsom's presence in the SFL that is the problem.

Reactions: awood1
According to GB and OR, it is not the quality of their teams that is deficient. It is Folsom's presence in the SFL that is the problem.

Maybe they should check their drawers...make sure the manhood is still attached...programs go up and down from season to season.

I hear the refs trying to help equalize by flagging Folsom's 10 year old ball boy....SFL needs some new refs

Any volunteers? because new ofificals are needed. (The Referee is the head of the crew and is positioned behind the QB wearing the white hat.) I don't mean replacements, I mean their organizations need MORE officials. And by volunteers, I mean you are paid from $60 - $80/game. Think about it.

My observations regarding officials:
1. Often, the video reveals something different than what we thought we saw - when we saw it live. Often. I have seen fans and coaches screaming in certainty over a bad call, only to realize it was a good call after vdieo. I include myself in this group many times over.
2. Too many are new to officiating. It used to be that it took spom decent experience at the freshman and/or JV level BEFORE you coached your first varsity game. Not the case any more.
3. Often the officials that were poor commicators, out of shape, poorly rated, etc. were weeded out. Now the numbers mean more of these officials stay longer. And work important games.
4. Officials that communicate make the experience much better for everyone involved. The guys that pretend they are def when the HC asks questions, should not be on the sideline - maybe not officiating at all. But when the coach gets a good communicator, it changes the tone.
5. Its dangerous. I have seen many Umpires clocked when not seeing a shallow crosser. (Umpires stand right behind the MLB - and step into the line on pass plays to watch the OL-DL play).
6. They miss a lot of calls. A lot. When the calls go both ways, well, eh? Its part of the game. After all, it is high school football.
7. There are officials that don't have the confidence or experience and are just over-matched. It seems to happen - or be most noticeable - in big games when the atmosphere is elevated.
8. The 'bully' officials are the worst. These are the officials that do things like, constantly call sideline warnings for one coache on the other side of the box, or tossing players out for knee pads in a big game, call unsportsmanlike when an asst coach asks a question, or tell coaches to 'shut up when you are talking to me'. They generally start the game with an atogonistic approach or vindictive agenda.
9. Most officials try their best, are good at their job and you never notice them. They are like above-average offensive linemen.
10. If you have never read the rulebook and the interpretations, it is quite a fascinating read. There are plenty of officials that have never played a down of football. I don't think it is a requirement. Nor do I think it should be a requirement. As with most things in life, to be an official all you really need is the desire to succeed and the work ethic to back it up. The next level is good communicator, talent/skill, open mind, and empathy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT