ADVERTISEMENT

Love Maxprep Computer Ranking vs NCP rankings

ballersdreams

Sports Fanatic
Jan 7, 2014
MaxPreps uses a computer program to determine team rank. We do not poll coaches, sportswriters, or fans. Nor does our staff make any judgments on the merits of any individual team. Prior season history, school size, and comments on message boards are not considered in the MaxPreps Computer Rankings.

The system utilizes the huge number of game results stored in the MaxPreps database. Generally, the more a team wins the higher the ranking, but the system takes into account quality wins (against other highly ranked opponents) and strength of schedule.

For example, a team's ranking is hurt more by losing to a team that is ranked below them verses a team ranked ahead.

Other factors that will affect the rankings are times when MaxPreps has incomplete or inaccurate information. We will correct errors when they are reported to us. If we are missing a score, report it to us on the team's MaxPreps page. If we are missing a game on the schedule, send us a correction request.

Playoff wins are weighed higher compared to a regular season game.

Movement indicates the up or down movement within the rankings when compared to our previously published rankings.

This tell people about teams that wins and lose on a power scale not in who people make power but play weaker teams and call them quality wins. LOVE THE PART WHERE IT SAYS PRIOR SEASON HISTORY NOT CONSIDERED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT MEAN TO ME SCHOOL CAN CHANGE TO BE A POWERHOUSE IN 1 YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND TEAMS LOSE THEIR POWER WHEN PLAYERS GRADUATE EACH YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE THAT PART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO HUMAN FACTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure it matters much because Saint Ignatius will be in CCS Open and likely NorCal Open, but according to the CCS website they are Div 2 in Girls Basketball this year.

http://www.cifccs.org/playoffs/cbeds/13-14%20CBEDS%20for%2014-15%20girls%20basketball.pdf

All of the rankings seem to have them in Div 3 (the SI boys are Div 3 for basketball) but the girls really belong in the Div 2 rankings.

I like the computer rankings, but they are far from perfect. If you look at the national rankings, you'll notice almost all the top teams are from California and Texas because the system rewards wins -- and the more you have (the more games you are allowed to play), the higher your ranking.

That said, comparing California teams to California teams works well, and we're getting to the point where the strength of schedule rankings are making sense as well. (Note that Miramonte's strength of schedule is higher than SMS's and SI has played the toughest schedule in NorCal.)

Ideally, the difference in the ranking number reflects the point differential should two relatively equal teams play.

Clay I know nothing is perfect everything has their flaws. But when you take the history of a team and always put it in play never get a true ranking. For example, New York Yankees is an average team now but was one of the greats baseball franchises. For another example, Chicago Bulls is a great team again but had there time of lows after MJ and Pippen left the team. All team will have there lows here and there but always can build back up to the high level again. With all this said history should be a factor in the ranking on the NCP. That's is a false pretends when teams are playing in the same circle but when the travel outside the circle they have a hard time with good caliber teams on the road!!!!!!!!!!

maxpreps computer is a HAL 9000, built in 2001. although aging, it has a perfect operational record.

enman13

the meaning of false pretends is misrepresentation ::::::: of a good young team Berkley enman13 you can run but you cant hide

snacks5

Its all the same when it comes to enman13 !?!? like i said cowards hide........................ THEY WALK THEIR TEAM OFF THE COURT TO PROTEST THEN THEY CANT SPEAK ON IT ?!?!?

This post was edited on 1/27 11:52 AM by luvthegame21

This post was edited on 1/27 11:53 AM by luvthegame21

The rankings are all subjective and Norcalpreps seldom gets out and REALLY take a look at upcoming teams. Most of the rankings are based on the history of a team's past success and at times past success carries more weight than present time success. Norcalpreps is a great board for keeping up on Northern Calif. sports but after the first five ranked teams the rankings are all guess work.

And bay area teams are always going to get the bump up over everyone else. Sacred Heart Cathedral 9-8 ranked 15.

The rest of us were talking about MaxPreps, not NorCalPreps. They're different. And if anything, I think NCP tends to have a discernible Sacramento bias, especially for boys sports.

That said, Sac girls basketball is down this year, so not sure who you would want ahead of SHC. Don't forget, even though they are 9 - 8 (and probably 9 - 9 after playing at Mitty tonight) they have played an incredibly tough schedule. Significantly more difficult than any Sac teams. Hopefully none of your favorite teams draw SHC in the playoffs, they'll be battle-tested and ready to roll when the playoffs arrive.

Battle tested is great but shouldn't you win some of the battles and you are correct Sac high is down this year and they are an example of a team that is riding on past success and NOT CURRENT success.

Where would a 19-0 Kimball team be ranked?

The best-kept secret in San Joaquin County girls basketball is hiding in Tracy, as the newest school in a town with three large high schools. Heading into this week, Kimball is 19-0 and undefeated in Valley Oak League play, thanks in large part to its depth and length. At the forefront of nearly every game, it seems like, is 5-foot-10 freshman Raziya Potter. Potter scored 18 points to power Kimball to an 84-47 win over Sierra last week, and had 16 points to back up senior Sarah Nunes' game-high 26 in an 80-50 rout of a talented Manteca team.
This post was edited on 1/27 11:56 AM by kookiebean

So again I ask, who is being overlooked?? And how can you say they are battled tested but need to win some? SHC beat Brookside , BOD, and SI... Yes they lost to St Francis, and Scott's valley, but those losses are why they aren't in the top 10 as opposed to the 15 they sit at now.... Who's being o over looked??

Where would a 19-0 Kimball team be ranked?

The best-kept secret in San Joaquin County girls basketball is hiding in Tracy, as the newest school in a town with three large high schools. Heading into this week, Kimball is 19-0 and undefeated in Valley Oak League play, thanks in large part to its depth and length. At the forefront of nearly every game, it seems like, is 5-foot-10 freshman Raziya Potter.

Thank you Kookie , gonna have to check them out, they seem to be dominating not just winning....

I saw them (Kimball) at 19-0 and ranked #62 in CA, when I was looking through the MaxPreps rankings earlier today. Interesting point is that they have the weakest schedule of anyone ranked in the top 100.

Oh and just to clarify, when I said Sac girls basketball is down this year, I didn't mean Sacramento High specifically, I meant the Sacramento area in general.

Iuvthegame21 - I am not hiding. So, what we lost to MM twice but I did not complain about officials. They are better than us and they proved it on the court. We beat you and the scoreboard does not lie! Tell me, other than ranting on this board how you can't get anyone to play you why don't you list out your 3 wins. Tell us who you beat when you stepped outside your circle. Give m the name or # of one player worth anything outside of the big 3!!!!!! You say 6 deep, I say u r 3 deep max and that is a stretch.

enman13

I understand you beat Brookside that's your Championship this year I give you that ......... Because we know Berkley is not going to make a run into the playoffs ??? Your hiding from what happen Saturday night !!!! when your team walked off the court??? you said its not the Officiating???Was it frustration ???? YOU JUST DON'T WALK OFF THE COURT WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE MAN UP !?!?! ENMAN13

DONT START NOTHING YOU CAN"T FINISH

You are not giving me anything, we earned that win over your team. Tell me about those quality wins you have and your roster. Enlighten us all or are you one of those daddy ball coaches brookside has hanging around??????

enman13

Berkley beats Brookside 55-53 Berkley controlled the game from start to finish their a much better team than Brookside IS
Over rated ?????? they was out coached by Berkley"s coaching staff !!! Berkley is definitely a up and coming team..................... look out they could push for the open division this year........ Good job Berkley

That win vs BC was a good win....but lets not get carried away....Berkeley is not going to be an open team.

Are they even the #1 seed in D1 in the NCS?

I see James Logan is getting some love but I haven't seen them play so don't know much about them...

I have seen Clayton Valley play though and I thought they looked pretty good.

Brookside beat CVC earlier this year so Berkeley will have that advantage come seedings time.

thoughts?

Thoughts? Brookside is over-rated and they have daddy ball coaches hanging around the team and trolling on the message board!!!!!!!!!! Three players and the rest our terrible. There job is to stay out of the way of McDonald and that is why she never comes off the floor because the coach does not trust them for even 1 possession. When they lose the two seniors they will fall to below average and after McDonald leaves there coach will be gone!!!!!!!!!!!! Then the daddy ball coaches can take over. Those are my thoughts. James Logan vs. Clayton in the NCS finals. Berkeley is not ready but still better that the over hyped Brookside daddy ball team.

Enman13

Your a unhappy Man / Woman I give you some props and your still upset ??? Did NORTHBAYBBGURU hit a nerve ??? You might need some anger management !!!!! we see your true color ........ Is that what happen Saturday night to make your team walk off the court,,,,,,,, a young team deserves more then what your coaching staff is offering.......... ? You need help Lol

You can't hide but you sure are running. Give me your 3 quality wins. Give me one decent player after the big three! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Berkeley is not claiming to take on all comers and we can beat people in the open, that is your game and your weak scheduling team. Talk is cheap, schedule some games like the rest of the teams and then talk.

kookiebean,

I think we may have run into Raziya playing on the Mustangs and the Stanford summer camp. And I have been the biggest supporter of the young talented basketball player. What does age have to do with talent and being able to ball... if your mature and talented enough? Why don't coaches and doubters just get out of the way and let the ballers ball?

As I have explained, too much politics was the reason why Michael Jordan wasn't allowed to play varsity until his 11th grade year. We all know what kind of a dis-service that was to both the game and his high school team's success.

I think someone mentioned Kimball was playing Weston Ranch? If I'm not mistaken Bri Moore (one of the best guards/players in the state) is on Weston Ranch. And don't they also have Elizabeth Alexander? That might be a tough battle.

It doesn't take the most intelligent person in the world to figure out basketball and what it takes to win. But I did write a couple of books to help those who can't seem to figure it out.

I notice too many people put too much value into rankings and win/loss records. Keep in mind it is not how you start, but most importantly how you finish.

You can be the best team even with an unimpressive win/loss record.

I don't think Salesian had the best record entering the post season last year. But they ending up representing Northern California in the open State championship.

And how many wild card teams in the NFL eventually knock off teams with better win/loss records?

Paytc

This post was edited on 1/28 4:45 AM by Paytc

Paytc,

Kimball won last night by a nice margin over Weston Ranch. I heard Bri Moore is not playing right now.

My question about Raziya (In another post) was not about her age but about her talent level. A co-worker said she heard she had a college offer already, if true I think it's awesome, my daughter got her first as 10th grader, to get one as a 9th grader is outstanding. I know M. Cowlings (Cal Bears) got her offer as an 8th grader, I think.

This part should be on a different post:
Someone said it before, if you are talented, stop waiting for colleges to call you, get a list of places you would like to play and make contact with a few coaches (you can call them, they can't call you), go to a few college games and see how you fit in. IMO
If you want a job, would you sit around waiting for someone to call you, who may or may not know you exist? I would go and make some calls.

enman13

GOOD QUALITY TEAMS
Salesian 20-2
Prairie 11-5
Antelope 17-1
Valley Chistian 19-3
Clayton Vally 15-5
Piedmont 11-8

lose to a good young team BERKLEY 12-7
lose to a good team SACRED HEART 9-8

YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU CANT HIDE LITTLE MAN / WOMEN

This post was edited on 1/28 6:47 AM by luvthegame21

Enman13 why is every want to sweep MM vs Berkeley under the rug!!!!! Can run and hide from this one!!!!!!!!!!

Why does no one want to talk about the racial slur??????????? Right is right but wrong is wrong !!!!!!!! Racial slur should be always addressed because this day of time the majority of younger generation moved on from this. Racial slur only come from up bring of any race players parents. Majority of younger are color behind these days. The other issue that day was that a coach took their team off the court instead of trying to solve the situation right there and then. Teaching kids to quit is wrong in all different ways is always wrong. Just like the movie "Salma" Dr. King solved the problem before walking across the bridge. He never quit just solve the problem before he to actions that he would regret in the end.

SO WITH SAYING THE HOPEFULLY THIS GAME WAS A LIFE LESSON THAT PLAYERS CAN LOOK BACK AND SAY THAT THE SITUATION DURING THAT GAME WAS ALL WRONG IN MANY WAYS. THAT THEY SHOULD SOLVE PROBLEM BEFORE TAKING ACTION THAT THEY WILL REGRET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO YOU REAL KNOW WHAT HAPPEN THAT NIGHT ????????????????

kookiebean,

I think your advise is totally correct ! Clay also made a great point when he said there are more D-1 colleges looking for talented players than there are talented players to fill the need. There are also good lower division schools that have a shortage of talented players to offer scholarships to as well. So if your child has skill your main concern should be them staying healthy and maintaining the grades to remain eligible. They need to display the type of attitude and grades that make them attractive to a school.

It should not be about... my son or daughter is better than this player. Or I need to hold this player down so I can be successful.
There is more than enough to go around for those who are gifted and/ or have worked hard enough to deserve it.

I think Raziya is indeed talented. Glad to hear she has attracted some interest from colleges already.

I have not seen Kimball play, but it sounds like they have a few ballers. Thanks for the update and info !

Paytc

This post was edited on 1/28 12:49 PM by Paytc

Enman13,

Passion is one thing, but when you take cheap shots at kids by calling them terrible you become a classless jerk. You are either very young or extremly ignorant. This is a board for opinions about teams and programs not a place to attack kids. Take a moment and read up on bullying. It is what you are doing.

Michael

I think that is a "false pretends" of my personality, although young is correct but more on the arrogant side as opposed to ignorant. My pure existence on this board was defending my child's win over BC.... Speaking of ignorant, classless and bullying.........

This post was edited on 1/31 9:56 PM by enman13

enman13 I heard Brookside was up the 1st Quarter and up at half time by one. The second half was kind of the same until the end of the 3rd quarter Brookside was down by 1. Then the 4 quarter they was down by 11 with 3 minutes to go in the game. Brookside went on a run and was down on 1 with Gabriel fouling out with 2 minutes left in the game with the players u said could play beside the 3 DI players. So if they aren't that good the what would call Berkeley it the JV Players Like you said made a run on the Berkeley team. They said with out the foul that was call on a player that was on the ground Brookside wins even if the game was called their way. So I guess according to you ENMAN13 Berkeley has all JV players on their team since the JV players made a run Berkeley. I want to know if your are getting 3rd hand information or like me get second hand information. Get you facts straight because I will bust you out every time.

So if Enman13 getting wrong information or is he getting hating information. WHAT WAS THE SCORE OF THE BERLELY VS PIEDMONT ON 1/30 ??????????????? Or do you not want to talk about that?????

Ol' Brick Layer

Baller is Trying to smoke out enman13 ?!?! he said some things about the kids on Brookside !!!! that just wasn't right...... And he justifying his actions by saying he was trying to smoke out the truth about teams being afraid to play Brookside........?
read all of his past post you will understand enman13.............................. for who he really is

Your parent already came on and admitted it was late scheduling due to your coach leaving. There is not one quality team afraid to play BC. Your team is terrible after the big three. I speak the truth. I want to know how a kid, McDonald can get 36 points record a triple double and yet on max preps you coach gives player of the game to someone with 17 points and zero assists. Maybe coach is trying to spread the love. Might as well just give everyone player of the game since you are grading it in a curve. I would say that award would be given under false pretends.

Luv21 it is funny how you know that ballers dreams is trying to "smoke me out" and you also thought false pretense was false pretends just like ballers dreams. I am smoking you out for being two people on the board!!!!!!!! I speak the truth!!!!!

Berkeley won Friday since you were asking. I was at the Berkeley BC game and it was a good game but I thought BC got fatigued and Berkeley held on to win. Refs had nothing to with it. Own that loss, you earned it............!!!!!!

Enman13, actually (since you want to bring me into your discussion), what I said was that the old coach made the schedule and he had a hard time getting games because several teams declined to play us...I also stated that the new coach was hired late and it was hard to get more games because it was late in the scheduling process....if you are going to use what I have said, please make sure it is totally accurate, not just partial info to try to make yourself look right. You ARE definitely out of line for talking bad about some of the players...most teams play certain players way more than others, but that does not mean the players with less playing time are not important factors to the team. Please stop hating on some teenage girls, that is about as low as you can get. It is bewildering that a grown person would do such a thing and then continually justify it. I believe this subject has been overly exhausted. Lets move on to something else and just agree to disagree. By the way, since you want to say you are speaking the truth, then why not speak it with your name attached?....just saying...
ALWAYS 100 RIGHT HERE,
Shireen
#Keepinitreal

Own the loss to Berkeley. The game was 5 on 5. The refs did not determine the outcome the players did. No shady calls as you stated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT