ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Lee declares for D League

SmoothJay

Sports Fanatic
Dec 9, 2013
Marcus Lee announced today he is leaving Kentucky. Complains he never got a chance to show his offensive talents.

Should have gone to California, would have got a lot more playing time. Kept getting recruited over at Kentucky

I remember getting all sorts of grief because I said this was a bad move. But honestly he never improved at UK. That is on him. Can't shoot, didn't get stronger, and is a liability on offense. Certainly don't blame coach calipari for recruiting better players. I don't see him in the nba. Not skilled enough. And who declares for the D league? That is like saying I'm entering the AA draft.

I remember getting all sorts of grief because I said this was a bad move. But honestly he never improved at UK. That is on him. Can't shoot, didn't get stronger, and is a liability on offense. Certainly don't blame coach calipari for recruiting better players. I don't see him in the nba. Not skilled enough. And who declares for the D league? That is like saying I'm entering the AA draft.

I was being sarcastic. He declared for the NBA, but he's not going to make an NBA roster.

Reactions: sachoopcoach
Ha ha... Agreed. At UK he was at best a hustle guy who could get you some blocks and offensive boards. I was actually surprised he hung around there so long.

You look at recent 4's out of the area like Marquis Chriss and Cameron Oliver who were way less hyped and rated coming out of HS and these kids have a lot more NBA upside. Personally I think Chriss will be a steal after a few years learning the game.

The NBA draft brings lots of surprises, especially for big men. It all comes to measurements and combine for guys like him. And to say he will never be on an NBA roster is a guess. Not many around with his measurements. Some guys are late arrivers.

If he wants it that bad, he will make it in future.

Reactions: treshon
Interesting move... don't see him getting drafted... Lots of Norcal guys entering this year but still no word from the top local prospect, Ivan Rabb though...

Pre Draft stuff is really important. Athletically and body type are all big plus for him. I'm betting he measures out at a legit 6"9 - 1/2 with a 7'0 -7-1 wing span. He has huge hands and will have one of the lowest body fat counts on the board. However, his frame is small. Not the type of guy who can carry that much more weight. Offensively he's so limited. He is going to really have to open some eyes because his stock has fallen a lot since early days at UK. Whereas a marquis chriss has almost the same level of athletics with 5x the hoop skillset and he's 19. I'm with Twitter legend. I don't see him getting drafted either. Doesn't mean he's not a good player. Its just really hard to make the league. You never know though. Rabb will be in that 7-12 1st round slot if he declares. At Cal you would watch the game and say where is rabb and then you look at he's got 16 and 10. He's really good.

Great move by Marcus Lee!!! The NBA is a different animal . He will be a nice player at St.Marys , Usf, San Diego etc. Not nearly big enough or strong enough to play in the NBA. Not strong enough to score in practice at UK. He will need to develop a shot and some post moves to make a roster in the NBA> Sitting out a year is the perfect storm. Spend some time in the weight room and shoot everyday. Sounds like a great person and team guy! Kentucky is great program but a lot of All Americans get lost with talent around them. Its great getting recruited by Kentucky but only 5 guys are on the court at one time. They have 10 studs.

From article today.... D league might be worse than single A baseball. Needs to get an agent and go overseas and make some decent $.

It wasn't long ago when Lee was one of Calipari's shiny new additions. Lee was part of Kentucky's class of 2013, a group that included a record six McDonald's All-Americans. Lee earned the distinction as a five-star big man out of California that was ranked as high as No. 19 in his class by Rivals.

He might be wise to get his college degree. There is actually life beyond hoops. Especially for players with limited skills.

I have watched Cauley-Stien for some time now and up close and personal at the kings games. I don't see a tremendous difference in skill level between the two. Anybody else? Willie is definitely bigger, stronger, and tougher, but that's expected since he is a former football player. Plus he has a tremendous motor.

Let me put it out there like this. When I watched UK games back when Cauley Stein played I was watching the Harrison twins, Towns, and Cauley Stein. He was a main ingredient on that team. Unless you were from around here you wouldn't even know who Marcus Lee was. Carley stein is a legit 7-1 and with some more added bulk can be a center in this league. His frame can add some more weight and I don't see Lee's being able to. He's also way more polished offensively. And that is saying something because Cauley Stein isn't exactly polished in terms of NBA offensive skills.

IMHO Lee was not ready for the NBA. He is a very athletic 4 with limited offensive skills with and without the ball. He may develop. Hassan Whiteside was probably at a similar level when he got drafted in round 2. But he might now. He is making a good decision to go back to school. he is probably making a good decision to transfer somewhere where he can get his degree and where he can be more of a featured player. I suggested Gtown because (a) they tend to do a good job developing their posts and have had guys like Henry Sims, Roy Hibbert, Greg Monroe do well in the NBA, and (b) I assume Marcus will have to sit out a year and Gtown's current post is Jessie Govan who will probably be a round 1 pick after this year creating a space for Lee to be the featured guy in 17-18, (c) Gtown plays in the Big East which is a good league that still plays a more physical style of basketball in the paint (although not like it used to) and (d) I am a Hoya fan.

UCLA could use a rebounding, shot blocking post guy who can run the floor. Should have stayed out West to begin with, way more opportunities and programs where he would have started right away. And yes, I'm a Bruin basketball fan

Hey remc... Been tough for us Bruins fans the last couple years... They shoulda fired Chianti Dan years ago...

Hey remc... Been tough for us Bruins fans the last couple years... They shoulda fired Chianti Dan years ago...
Ain't that the truth. He has ruined the UCLA basketball legacy. Whenever you make the signature sport of a blue blood school have record setting failure you should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

Marcus Lee to Cal over the weekend... some will say he made this choice 3 years too late... hopefully he works hard during his off year and can make a big impact for the Bears in his senior season.

Agreed, but good for him for taking care of business in the classroom and still being able to be accepted into Cal as a transfer.

Reactions: observer22
He very well may have made the wrong decision to go to Kentucky, but he got some good experience there playing with and against some of the best players in the nation. Certainly can't go wrong with a degree from Berkeley. I hope he works hard to improve his offense over the next year and does some damage with the Bears.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT