ADVERTISEMENT

Mater Dei

NorCalHSFan

Sports Fanatic
Dec 2, 2008
Looks like Mater Dei found their next star quarterback on the transfer market. Miller Moss is a 4 star USC commit who previously attended Bishop Alemany.

He’s trying to get there and recruit for SC this kid loves the spotlight

Mater Dei/Bosco are a real issue for this state in HS football. I know the teams they actually impact are small, but in my opinion, it makes these latest championships smell a little funny

I don’t hear of Bosco getting near as many transfers as Mater Dei does. I don’t have the hard numbers, but that’s my sense.

I can't knock these Highschool's that have figured out the system on how to attract these top student athletes to there program. It quite simple. If you have a supportive administration that wants to build there football/sports program go out and schedule the elite teams from each State. You will get national attention/recognition for playing the big boys (allowing you to build your brand) and at the same time you will draw top talent from the area (that will increase their recruiting opportunities). Win Win

did they break a rule or something?

Do the players that transfer get to start right away. Or do they have sit out 5 games before they can play like the CCS (I don’t know if that has changed either)because they are athletically motived transfers.I’m not sure about other NorCal sections.

As a fan of high school football I don’t appreciate SJB, MD or the IMG’s of the world. They are a farce. They take away from the last bastion of purity that is High school football. I don’t care if it’s legal.

I can look at both sides. It takes a SoCal all star team to beat DLS. But to be fair DLS has no competition from other Catholic schools in the area to draw from

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
I always go to population. LA is largest county in the USA. We have very good teams in the north and in many cases star players here would ride the pine in the trnitiy league. If you start at QB in the trinity league there is a high chance you have major offers. And the backup probably does as well. We just don’t have the pool to choose from. And even with that said I think we do a good job of competing across the board when we play in state games.

I still think for DLS to compete they need to get a modern day QB. 6”2+ who can throw. The 5”8 160 lb kids in the veer are great locally but on a national level that formula hasn’t worked.

Do the players that transfer get to start right away. Or do they have sit out 5 games before they can play like the CCS (I don’t know if that has changed either)because they are athletically motived transfers.I’m not sure about other NorCal sections.

As a fan of high school football I don’t appreciate SJB, MD or the IMG’s of the world. They are a farce. They take away from the last bastion of purity that is High school football. I don’t care if it’s legal.

I can look at both sides. It takes a SoCal all star team to beat DLS. But to be fair DLS has no competition from other Catholic schools in the area to draw from

I believe it depends on when you transfer that determines if you sit out 5 games but yes kids have had to sit.
Trying to equate MD/SJB to IMG is disingenuous.There is a reason IMG is not allowed to participate in the Florida playoffs and banned from playing several states including California.
So what you’re saying is you hate that they win and somehow it’s (in your world) ruining HS football even though they have done nothing wrong.
I remember when these same things were said about DLS when they were running roughshod over the competition.Its a losers mentality imo

I believe it depends on when you transfer that determines if you sit out 5 games but yes kids have had to sit.
Trying to equate MD/SJB to IMG is disingenuous.There is a reason IMG is not allowed to participate in the Florida playoffs and banned from playing several states including California.
So what you’re saying is you hate that they win and somehow it’s (in your world) ruining HS football even though they have done nothing wrong.
I remember when these same things were said about DLS when they were running roughshod over the competition.Its a losers mentality imo
When they were? THEY STILL DO!!!!!! Even Folsom couldnt hang

did they break a rule or something?

Not that I know of but IMO what Mater Dei does compared to other privates in the state is different. Whether that is too far or still in the gray area is up to personal opinion on transfers.

Reactions: THEOC89
No doubt that what you accomplish with the guys you have been with for four years are sweeter. However, this is the direction football is going. We can't just point to SoCal or Mater Dei or privates for that matter. QB from Whitney going to Pittsburg, Safety from St. Mary's going to Folsom, SD Tyler Buchner from Bishop's to Helix. Also, know that this will create discontent as four year kids get bumped by transfers. I'm sure class of '22 Emmett Brown QB transfer this year from San Marcos to Mater Dei thought he would be a 2 year starter for them.

Reactions: RedZone90
I still think for DLS to compete they need to get a modern day QB. 6”2+ who can throw. The 5”8 160 lb kids in the veer are great locally but on a national level that formula hasn’t worked.
We really don't want that. At least with them running the veer there's still a chance someone can knock them off. Their skill position guys have been less dominant than years past and I would attribute that directly to the offense they run.

Not that I know of but IMO what Mater Dei does compared to other privates in the state is different. Whether that is too far or still in the gray area is up to personal opinion on transfers.
What’s different about it?
Every school gets transfers
Every school can simulate MD even Publics (LBP,Centennial and Folsom)
MD has just created the perfect storm of legendary coach,History of success,history of great alumni,National schedule and mythical national championships

While other schools also get transfers, I've heard that some MD football transfers had transferred back to their original schools after the season ended. If that's true, then that definitely smells a little funny.

We really don't want that. At least with them running the veer there's still a chance someone can knock them off. Their skill position guys have been less dominant than years past and I would attribute that directly to the offense they run.

I didn’t say the north wanted that. Lol

Reactions: northbayfb
Trying to equate MD/SJB to IMG is disingenuous.

What ever happened to CC?

MD, SJB and IMG are all star teams. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
While other schools also get transfers, I've heard that some MD football transfers had transferred back to their original schools after the season ended. If that's true, then that definitely smells a little funny.
That is because MD doesnt allow you to graduate in Dec so a kid that wants to early enroll at college cannot if still at MD

What ever happened to CC?

MD, SJB and IMG are all star teams. Plain and simple.

Centennial needs a QB to run Logan’s system
IMG openly recruits globally
MD and SJB don’t recruit
Two different animals completely

What’s different about it?
Every school gets transfers
Every school can simulate MD even Publics (LBP,Centennial and Folsom)
MD has just created the perfect storm of legendary coach,History of success,history of great alumni,National schedule and mythical national championships

Saying that Mater Dei isn’t doing it differently is being deliberately naive. I’m not saying it is agains the rules but it is most certainly different than basically everyone else in the state.

There was a clear course correction a few years ago. They had the same legendary coach and history of success and great alumni when they weren’t among the top programs in SoCal.

Reactions: THEOC89
CC is still loaded . Year after year could be best team in the north. They just don’t have resources that privates do.

Saying that Mater Dei isn’t doing it differently is being deliberately naive. I’m not saying it is agains the rules but it is most certainly different than basically everyone else in the state.

There was a clear course correction a few years ago. They had the same legendary coach and history of success and great alumni when they weren’t among the top programs in SoCal.
as another poster has stated MD athletics has always welcomed transfers in every sport.The only course of correction is people now being upset because they are winning in football again.

This was the description given in the Sacramento Bee in 2017:

So does the coach, Rollinson, who at 69 has a lot of fire left in him. When the Monarchs didn’t make the playoffs in 2011, Rollinson, “blew the entire program up.” He got more involved in social media, revamped strength and conditioning programs and got involved with youth camps and high school seven-on-seven summer competitions.

Here is the full article - https://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/hometown-report/article190097829.html

Again, I’m not saying they are breaking rules. I’m saying there was a change in philosophy that has morphed into what we see now.

This was the description given in the Sacramento Bee in 2017:

So does the coach, Rollinson, who at 69 has a lot of fire left in him. When the Monarchs didn’t make the playoffs in 2011, Rollinson, “blew the entire program up.” He got more involved in social media, revamped strength and conditioning programs and got involved with youth camps and high school seven-on-seven summer competitions.

Here is the full article - https://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/hometown-report/article190097829.html

Again, I’m not saying they are breaking rules. I’m saying there was a change in philosophy that has morphed into what we see now.
Fair enough

I can't knock these Highschool's that have figured out the system on how to attract these top student athletes to there program. It quite simple. If you have a supportive administration that wants to build there football/sports program go out and schedule the elite teams from each State. You will get national attention/recognition for playing the big boys (allowing you to build your brand) and at the same time you will draw top talent from the area (that will increase their recruiting opportunities). Win Win

You are leaving one small bit of information out though.

Theres private catholic and christian high schools are typically governed (and backed) by the Archdiocese, not their respective sections or even the state. The Archdiocese typically looks the other way when it comes to their recruiting, something the state does not do and will typically kill you for. Look at Narbonne. They were becoming as much of a recruiting factory as anyone. State came in and knocked them off.

But when someone blew the whistle on MD 10 years ago the Archdiocese stepped in and sued the CIF. Who do you suppose has more money to blow, the CIF or the Catholic Church?

If you guessed the Catholic Church, you are correct.

The Archdiocese went ahead and spent to the point where the CIF could not keep up and thus backed off.

Reactions: aztecpadre
You are leaving one small bit of information out though.

Theres private catholic and christian high schools are typically governed (and backed) by the Archdiocese, not their respective sections or even the state. The Archdiocese typically looks the other way when it comes to their recruiting, something the state does not do and will typically kill you for. Look at Narbonne. They were becoming as much of a recruiting factory as anyone. State came in and knocked them off.

But when someone blew the whistle on MD 10 years ago the Archdiocese stepped in and sued the CIF. Who do you suppose has more money to blow, the CIF or the Catholic Church?

If you guessed the Catholic Church, you are correct.

The Archdiocese went ahead and spent to the point where the CIF could not keep up and thus backed off.
First off Narboone was accused of actually cheating by changing grades and house was cleared.
Second nobody blew a whistle on MD for anything.They sued the Southern section because they felt they were under scrutiny To a degree other schools were not

School is big business as is football. The CIF was smart to walk away for it's lawsuit against Mater Dei. It was a win/lose situation. Win the lawsuit and potentially watch Mater Dei and the rest of the big money making private schools leave the federation. Spend $100k plus to place restrictions on kids 13-18 years old? I just don't get the rationale behind people (adults) that want punish kids for trying to better themselves. These kids are trying to go to college and get a higher education, regardless the motivation they are chasing a better opportunity to get a scholarship. The extra sacrifice and commitment they are displaying at such an early age should be commended and not punished. As adults they will be recognized some day for that kind of a work ethic with a promotion, medal and or additional opportunities in the work place. College is so expenses and who wants to be in debt after college for a couple of decades paying off those high ass tuition fees? The sad part is the CIF is bias and will only place restrictions on Student-Athlete's that transfer or on schools that self report violations. In the meantime any other non student athlete is allowed to transfer without restrictions or punishment. If school"A" offers a better AP program, Science program, Theater Arts department, or even Counseling Services. Does that mean they are restricted the first 5 weeks to not participate in a spelling bee, science projects, theater plays, or have therapeutic services? Every school has a business plan. If you want to be competitive in a particular area (and you do not want to potentially lose certain students) then restructure your business plan. Utilizing a business plan from 20 years ago doesn't make much sense. Mater Dei coach got wise and reevaluated his system and now look at the results. Do we blame him for that? If so do you also blame schools for adding laptops and Wifi to the all there classrooms? Or maybe they should still be using type writers and or cable internet. You have to change if you want to have a better opportunity at being successful, esp when we talk about kids. I'm old-new school. For example a cell phone that has GPS and internet is all that I need. But these kids want and need the latest everything cell phone related with all the most up to date gadgets ever 6 months. Cell phone companies are forever evolving ever six months or so to meet the needs of these kids. As a result they are making billions each year and in the process I am required to buy a new cell phone every 5 years or so or the software in my phone is outdated and slow. So I can either complain about my cell phone or I can get an updated one. So schools can either evolve/invest in their programs/students or keep complaining when participation numbers decline, they keep losing, or students transfer.
BTW thank you for reading!!

School is big business as is football. The CIF was smart to walk away for it's lawsuit against Mater Dei. It was a win/lose situation. Win the lawsuit and potentially watch Mater Dei and the rest of the big money making private schools leave the federation. Spend $100k plus to place restrictions on kids 13-18 years old? I just don't get the rationale behind people (adults) that want punish kids for trying to better themselves. These kids are trying to go to college and get a higher education, regardless the motivation they are chasing a better opportunity to get a scholarship. The extra sacrifice and commitment they are displaying at such an early age should be commended and not punished. As adults they will be recognized some day for that kind of a work ethic with a promotion, medal and or additional opportunities in the work place. College is so expenses and who wants to be in debt after college for a couple of decades paying off those high ass tuition fees? The sad part is the CIF is bias and will only place restrictions on Student-Athlete's that transfer or on schools that self report violations. In the meantime any other non student athlete is allowed to transfer without restrictions or punishment. If school"A" offers a better AP program, Science program, Theater Arts department, or even Counseling Services. Does that mean they are restricted the first 5 weeks to not participate in a spelling bee, science projects, theater plays, or have therapeutic services? Every school has a business plan. If you want to be competitive in a particular area (and you do not want to potentially lose certain students) then restructure your business plan. Utilizing a business plan from 20 years ago doesn't make much sense. Mater Dei coach got wise and reevaluated his system and now look at the results. Do we blame him for that? If so do you also blame schools for adding laptops and Wifi to the all there classrooms? Or maybe they should still be using type writers and or cable internet. You have to change if you want to have a better opportunity at being successful, esp when we talk about kids. I'm old-new school. For example a cell phone that has GPS and internet is all that I need. But these kids want and need the latest everything cell phone related with all the most up to date gadgets ever 6 months. Cell phone companies are forever evolving ever six months or so to meet the needs of these kids. As a result they are making billions each year and in the process I am required to buy a new cell phone every 5 years or so or the software in my phone is outdated and slow. So I can either complain about my cell phone or I can get an updated one. So schools can either evolve/invest in their programs/students or keep complaining when participation numbers decline, they keep losing, or students transfer.
BTW thank you for reading!!

Good post. Ideally you have good arguments that fit some, but like most things in life there are always some who will use it to a selfish advantage that others might think is selfish but for some kids I agree with you. Privates can do what they want as far as I’m concerned but I put a personal asterisk on their accomplishments on the field due to the huge advantages they have. High school should not be big business even though it’s become that way. I have issues with that but that’s just me.

Right. When a public school can do what MD and the rest of the private/parochials can do, then we can talk. Until then, it's two entirely separate systems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT