ADVERTISEMENT

Maxprep Cali Fab 5 Teams SMS, LBP, Nade, MM, Brea....Decosta vs AC for the title?

jazzpt55

Hall of Famer
Sep 29, 2008
2015-16 California Preseason Girls Basketball Fab 5, presented by the Army National Guard

1. St. Mary's (Stockton)
Head coach: Tom Gonsalves
2014-15 record: 34-1

The defending state Open Division champions return their top four leading scorers, including Oregon State-bound Kat Tudor (13. 8 points per game) and Aquira Decosta (12.9), who has been rated the top sophomore in the country. Since 2004-05, the Rams haven't won less than 24 games and seven times have won at least 30.

See last season's California girls basketball computer rankings

2. Long Beach Poly
Head coach: Carl Buggs
2014-15 record: 26-4

The perennial national power returns the Jackrabbits' second- and third-leading scorers from last season in Eliza Matthews (12.6 points per game) and Deja Williams (10.4). As usual, Buggs will utilize great quickness, defense and depth. Poly lost just two players off its 17-person roster from last year and returns 6-foot-1 post Ayanna Clark, a 5-star junior who has already committed to USC.

See MaxPreps California girls basketball photos
http://t.maxpreps.com/1E9xTQa
3. Chaminade (West Hills)
Head coach: Kelli Di Muro
2014-15 record:
27-4

The Eagles return their top two scorers from last year's team that finished No. 2 in the MaxPreps National Computer Rankings presented by the Army National Guard. Their top player is Duke-bound 5-star wing Leonna Odom, a 6-1 senior who averaged 17.4 points per game. Chaminade also returns 6-1 wing Valerie Higgins (14.9 ppg), who is headed to USC.

See last season's California girls basketball playoff brackets

4. Miramonte (Orinda)
Head coach:
Kelly Sopak
2014-15 record:
30-3

The Matadors return all but one of their 13 players from last year, including 6-foot senior Sabrina Ionescu, who is considered one of the five best players in the country. Ionescu hasn't picked her college but teammates Keana Delos Santos (Utah Valley State) and Uriah Howard (Eastern Washington) have. Miramonte lost to St. Mary's in last year's Northern California finals.

See last season's California girls basketball stat leaders

5. Brea Olinda (Brea)
Head coach: Jeff Sink
2014-15 record: 26-5

The Wildcats lost just three seniors off their Southern California Division III championship team. They are led by Arizona State-bound 5-9 point guard Reili Richardson, ranked the 46th top senior in the country. Sink has led the Wildcats to four of their nine CIF state championships, which is more than any other girls basketball team.

Don't know about Poly at No. 2, but they'll be good, no doubt. Chaminade seems like the more likely SoCal winner to me, but of course the two stars have to stay healthy.

I admit what I saw AC put on the floor this summer and the two beast at Nade...I would have given Nade the nod....but I am a huge AC fan...wish i could have worked with her all summer but i spent my summer in Stockton;):cool:

Brea's starting five is superb. The 5-7 transfer guard is a huge addition. They are essentially a frosh-soph team, one senior and one junior.

Brea will be very good ... after SMS, I think California has several teams grouped together, all of whom are capable of beating each other while pounding on lesser opponents. And all of whom could beat SMS with some luck.

Not so sure about beating SMS, even with luck. They are so deep it's amazing. I suppose an off-the-charts display of three-point shooting, combined with very few turnovers and solid rebounding, could do the trick. But that's asking an awful lot on a given evening. Defending SMS is a nightmare, whether zone, man or something in between. Pressing them is certainly unwise. They want you to press. It opens up the floor for their athletes. A team like Brea matches up fairly well when it comes to a starting five. After that, things get dicey. And you need at least eight very good prep players to deal with SMS. Brea's depth is mainly new freshmen and a soph.

Good point ... no question SMS is the heavy favorite, but we are talking about high school girls ...

Most teams think the same about SMS thats why they dont have a chance to beat them. Teams have to go in the game know they can win but thats up to the coaches to prepare them mental and game strategy.

But less talk about next year with 3 starters plus 1 off the bench guaduating this year. The have the heart (Cayton) the shooter (Tudor) enforcer (Johnson) and DeCasta sub for good minutes (Fadal) thats alot to replace. I think they will be good but very beatable. The have alot player that dont mind being the supporting cast but can three of them set up and be the stars on the team i dont see it. Yet they are very good but not wanting that spot light on themselves. I know there is no enforcer on the bench now and who will give DeCasta a break. Smith and DeCasta will be the stars next with Smith havin the green light to shoot more. Now with all that said SMS will be beatable next year more then this year.

But dont get me wrong the are beatable this if coaches prepare right and have player that dont fear SMS!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT