ADVERTISEMENT

Menlo beats Pinewood

The first real test of the season for Pinewood. I saw this on the Menlo Twitter page. Big victory for Menlo over a powerhouse NorCal Program.

Little excessive celebration for a regular season win don't ya think? Anyone have any details of game? Kinda shocked, but not totally surprised. More surprised that BOD beat SMS.

Little excessive celebration for a regular season win don't ya think? Anyone have any details of game? Kinda shocked, but not totally surprised. More surprised that BOD beat SMS.
If I’m SMS I’m encouraged after that game . They couldn’t have played any worst and still had a chance to win. Six missed layups in the first half alone. I guess that’s what you get when u have 5 freshmen and 5 sophomores, inconsistency.

If I’m SMS I’m encouraged after that game . They couldn’t have played any worst and still had a chance to win. Six missed layups in the first half alone. I guess that’s what you get when u have 5 freshmen and 5 sophomores, inconsistency.

That was a great game. Tied with 2 minutes to go, it was anybody’s game. BOD with Johnson got it done. SMS had their chances with the steal and 5 second call in the last 15 seconds but couldn’t convert at the line to tie. Fun game to watch. SMS young guards are impressive and will only get better.

Reactions: GBBall4L

If you are BOD you can say the same thing. Kennedy missed some easy layups early and so did Amaya and the rest of the girls. If I'm Bishop O'Dowd and we meet SMS again I'm definitely ready.

When you haven't beaten a team ever I think a celebration is ok. The last WBAL loss Pinewood had was to Eastside College Prep in 2013. This was a major victory for Coach Paye and Menlo. Does this mean Menlo will become the next Pinewood? I'm not gonna say that but yesterday those Menlo girls earned that moment to celebrate. Hats off to them.

I know I'm always encouraged by missed layups.

It's a good win for the WBAL overall. When Pinewood runs roughshod over that circuit's upper division for years on end it tends to diminish the league. And the WBAL is the second-best setup in CCS, just a step behind the WCAL.

I think the celebration was a little excessive but it's the first time they beat Pinewoond in how many years? Pretty good feat if you ask me. I was totally surprised by BOD beating SMS too. While I've never accused Malik of ever being a great coach, he gets his players to play hard and the team always has good chemistry. I thought they'd be down this year and struggled to put Alameda away (only won by 16) on Friday night. Give credit to where credit is due...!

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
I didn't see the celebration, but I am sure it was both excessive and warranted at the same time. Like Clemson winning for the first time ever in Chapel Hill over the weekend, it means something to your team/ program to get a win like that, while at the same time still being "just" a regular season league win.

Regardless I would like to see the film. I thought PW had all of their games uploaded onto youtube?

I didn't see the celebration, but I am sure it was both excessive and warranted at the same time. Like Clemson winning for the first time ever in Chapel Hill over the weekend, it means something to your team/ program to get a win like that, while at the same time still being "just" a regular season league win.

Regardless I would like to see the film. I thought PW had all of their games uploaded onto youtube?

they used to and did for a while this season...but suddenly all the games were hidden! lol.

they used to and did for a while this season...but suddenly all the games were hidden! lol.
maybe teams stopped coming to scout their games because it was all available haha or they don't want people to see their rebuilding years? Very interesting

In the last three years, Menlo had lost to Pinewood by an average margin of just over 40 points per game. That's a pretty big win ...

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Pretty sure maxpreps is all computer hence seeding committee using them for state playoffs/etc. so while pwood has had a softer early schedule than recent years their games against California ,Oakland tech ( with some wins against top norcal teams ) carondolet are three games that would carry more In a computer than any Menlo games to date

I thought the Menlo celebration was great That’s a lot of years of built up emotions

They scouted pwoods last 4 games minimum and were prepared and focused. Pwood has never had it easy playing there despite the big win numbers. Last 2 games at Menlo were essentially tied going into the 4th. Pinewood up 8 with 4 mins to go. Just not enough experience to close it out.

The mercury rankings are a hot mess. A Menlo win at home against pwood and now they ranked ahead of strong teams like st Joseph O dowd Salesian Etc ? Menlo simply not there. Time will tell if pwood is
( pwood parent)

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11
Somehow this ranking that came out after the loss still has Pinewood as #9 and Menlo as #23. I don't know what this guy is thinking.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/YOeKE...la-jolla-country-day-rebounds-in-new-year.htm

Maybe this will make sense...#23 cal will play #1 Stanford tonight (just an example) at Cal. After all is said and done, Cal wins in an upset. Are you suggesting that Cal jumps ahead of Stanford, who may have dropped to #4 just because of one win?

It's one single game and anything can happen in a rivalry game. This year, PW lost in what looked like a close game. Head to head does mean something in the grand scheme of things, but you also have to look at the body of work for both schools. This year it's similar. If Menlo continues, and all is said and done, then yes they deserve it.

Maybe this will make sense...#23 cal will play #1 Stanford tonight (just an example) at Cal. After all is said and done, Cal wins in an upset. Are you suggesting that Cal jumps ahead of Stanford, who may have dropped to #4 just because of one win?

It's one single game and anything can happen in a rivalry game. This year, PW lost in what looked like a close game. Head to head does mean something in the grand scheme of things, but you also have to look at the body of work for both schools. This year it's similar. If Menlo continues, and all is said and done, then yes they deserve it.

I don't agree. I follow these two teams, they are relatively well matched this year. They should be much much closer in ranking after their head to head. I would argue Menlo should be higher.

I don't agree. I follow these two teams, they are relatively well matched this year. They should be much much closer in ranking after their head to head. I would argue Menlo should be higher.

oh, totally agree. Menlo has had a great year! BUT PW and Menlo's rankings do not support the case. Menlo is where they are and Pinewood is where they are. Jumping 18 slots over the team that you "upset" just doesn't happen ANYWHERE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT