ADVERTISEMENT

Nor Cal Regional Scores

Carondelet beat Los Gatos (14) 77-39. I heard SHC won, meaning it's SHC at Carondelet Thursday.

I think Acalanes lost, as KK Lacanle was sick and didn't start.

BOD won big, will host the rest of the way.

HMB lost to Oakland and Branham beat Chico. Tried to watch Lynbrrook but NFHS feed showed an empty Ripon Christian gym.

I had PW as the #4 seed, behind BOD, Clet and SHC. They have a lot of young talent, some very good wins and some very strong performances against top teams. They should have had this one too, up by 11 with under 7 mins to go. Tonight was more about a gutty performance by McClatchy, who was criminally seeded at #16, than anything else. If you haven't seen Nina Cain play, she is worth the price of admission.

Colfax beat St Pats in D2 67-66 in OT. Despite the fact that Colfax shot 27 free throws while the road team St. Pats only shot 7. Not saying that was the difference but a really tough way to end season like that.

Colfax beat St Pats in D2 67-66 in OT. Despite the fact that Colfax shot 27 free throws while the road team St. Pats only shot 7. Not saying that was the difference but a really tough way to end season like that.
shooting 3's versus going inside? the officials are from outside of either teams association

Division I

McClatchy beat Pinewood 66-64
Whitney beat Piedmont 53-41
Sacred Heart Cathedral beat Salesian 61-41
Carondelet beat Los Gatos 77-39
Oak Ridge beat Pirory 47-35
Riordan beat Acalanes 64-55
St. Ignatius beat Marin Catholic 45-41
Bishop O'Dowd beat St. Francis 76-27

Division II

Branham beat Chico 53-47
Carrillo beat Monta Vista 59-52
Redwood beat Evergreen Valley 52-48
Colfax beat SPSV 67-66
Pleasant Valley beat Vista del Lago 56-49
Antelope beat Buchanan 82-68
Oakland Tech beat California 65-53
Vanden beat San Domenico 52-44

Division III

University beat Northgate 67-28
Atwater beat Pioneer 74-48
Mills beat Clovis East 56-53
Cornerstone Christian beat Clovis 69-59
Caruthers beat Christopher 85-52
Heritage beat Grant 54-40
SJM beat Manteca 67-37
Central beat Justin-Siena 61-51

Division IV

St. Bernard's beat West Campus 55-39
Lincoln-SF beat Lincoln 56-48
Alisal beat Colusa 56-28
Foothill-Palo Cedro beat Menlo 68-64
Notre Dame beat Escalon 47-40
Riverbank beat University Prep 70-52
Mt. DIablo beat West Valley 81-58
Arcata beat Bear River 51-48

Division V

Woodland Christian beat Modoc 41-30
Valley Christain beat Summit Shasta 80-70
Oakland beat Half Moon Bay 58-50
Lowell beat Wood 52-48
Trinity beat Winters 40-30
Crystal Springs Upland beat Quincy 75-22
Lynbrook beat Ripon Christian 68-55

shooting 3's versus going inside? the officials are from outside of either teams association
Colfax shot more threes, had to be there I guess, one girl on the other team shot 6 free throws in the first quarter alone, almost as many as the whole team for 4 quarters. This is Nor Cal playoffs, 20 free throw difference is a little insane, no? Lakers playing in this tourney?

Generally a free-throw disparity reflects a quickness disparity. I've seen both teams and though that margin is big, it's not stunning.

Colfax shot more threes, had to be there I guess, one girl on the other team shot 6 free throws in the first quarter alone, almost as many as the whole team for 4 quarters. This is Nor Cal playoffs, 20 free throw difference is a little insane, no? Lakers playing in this tourney?
bet. gotta move them feet on the perimeter and stay on your feet in the post. nobody is blocking shots so just stay in front

I think this is year 2 or 3. But it is their first year in the WCAL. Will Watkins and Co have done a great job building it up quickly

How does Antelope lose by 1 in the section playoffs to Oak ridge the #3 seed in D1 and fall all the way to the 11 seed and get to play against weaker competition in D2 ? I don’t understand that.

Reactions: jstblev
How does Antelope lose by 1 in the section playoffs to Oak ridge the #3 seed in D1 and fall all the way to the 11 seed and get to play against weaker competition in D2 ? I don’t understand that.
There are so many of these examples and really highlights the lack of forsight in putting together these brackets. It would be a better product if they tried to match the section division for NorCal. It makes it easier to slot teams (like it was in the past) and makes it more fair for teams who advance with a section title vs. those who advance as a semifinal loser

There are so many of these examples and really highlights the lack of forsight in putting together these brackets. It would be a better product if they tried to match the section division for NorCal. It makes it easier to slot teams (like it was in the past) and makes it more fair for teams who advance with a section title vs. those who advance as a semifinal loser
I say this every year but I don’t understand this being sold as “competitive equity” if it was true to that term than the D1 bracket would have been dominated with SJS and NCS teams. And NCS teams would be playing NCS teams etc in the first round. But the fact that they have to have a certain number of teams from each section in each bracket and don’t match you up with someone from your section discredits that completely. I’d have more respect if they released a true ranking 1 through however many teams there are these days and made the brackets that way. And schools like Heritage shouldn’t be allowed to be playing for D3 state titles as a massive D1 school. There are some really simple things that could be implemented to make this a little more transparent. I don’t care what format is used I just want it to be transparent and clear year in and year out. Then we have the random schools like Antelope and Oakland Tech that always seem to be playing two divisions below where they should be based on “competitive equity” . Time to rebrand high school sports. There is one state champ. D1 winner can be the CIF gold bowl winner, D2 can be the CIF elite Bowl winner, etc. coaches just want to call themselves a “state champion” it would still be REALLY cool to win the Gold bowl but you aren’t a state champion. Mitty is the State Champion

Reactions: CW Golden Eagles
I say this every year but I don’t understand this being sold as “competitive equity” if it was true to that term than the D1 bracket would have been dominated with SJS and NCS teams. And NCS teams would be playing NCS teams etc in the first round. But the fact that they have to have a certain number of teams from each section in each bracket and don’t match you up with someone from your section discredits that completely. I’d have more respect if they released a true ranking 1 through however many teams there are these days and made the brackets that way. And schools like Heritage shouldn’t be allowed to be playing for D3 state titles as a massive D1 school. There are some really simple things that could be implemented to make this a little more transparent. I don’t care what format is used I just want it to be transparent and clear year in and year out. Then we have the random schools like Antelope and Oakland Tech that always seem to be playing two divisions below where they should be based on “competitive equity” . Time to rebrand high school sports. There is one state champ. D1 winner can be the CIF gold bowl winner, D2 can be the CIF elite Bowl winner, etc. coaches just want to call themselves a “state champion” it would still be REALLY cool to win the Gold bowl but you aren’t a state champion. Mitty is the State Champion
The fact is it doesn't matter what the coaches want, they have absolutely zero say in what happens. You could have every coach agree with you regarding crowning one "true" state champion, but the powers that be will do what they want, for whatever reasons they decide and we coaches have to do as we're told. Win a section title and drive 300 miles to play a team with a strength of schedule of -5, say, "thank you sir may I have another."

Too many teams, too much data, not enough time.

Too many sections, too many competing agendas, too many sports to do any one of them justice.

Then again, you can go to a state with a rigid, predetermined system that everyone understands -- with 80% fewer schools -- and the complaints will be just as loud.

if there was any rhyme to the reason, it would be justifiable. But SERIOUSLY, there is no way you can justify some of the stuff that goes on in those seeding meetings. And as Clay pointed out, CCS got a great bracket for most of it's teams. NCS as usual, gets their asses handed to them and concedes with lower divisions. I feel bad for a team like St Pats that travels to Colfax (30-2) or San Domenico going to Vanden (d5 to d2) (25-8_ both of who had to travel after being section champs. That is absolute BS. Meanwhile, Runner up in D5 gets a #1 seed in D4 Runner up in D4 gets a 4 seed in D4. explain that to me...

Clay, does the Brown Act apply to any of this lack of transparency?

Folsom 54
CN 49
Final

Key moment of the game.

Cn goes up 7 after making a FT with less than a minute left in 3rd. Doesnt sprint back on D from the made FT...Folsom inbounds pushes it up the floor and inexplicable the lefty 3 pt shooter from Folsom is left unguarded! Mertle is screaming to pick her up...Folsom finds her and she hits a MONSTER 3 to stop the CN run. Folsom calls an immediate timeout with 14 secs left. Everyone in the gym knows they are gonna press (otherwise why call the timeout) CN inbounds the ball the CN guard takes a dribble and nonchalantly throws a cross key pass that the Folsom guard steps in steals, drops it back to Mafua who makes the shot with 2 secs left. What was a 7pt CN lead with 46 secs left becomes a 2 pt game at the end of the 3rd. Folsom crowd going crazy....the momentum carries into the 4th as Folsom scores the 1st 10 pts of the 4th before CN finally hits a basket and stopping a 15-0 Folsom run.

CN had its chances late but just didn't make the plays. Credit Folsom for getting some big steals and for some of their role players having big games at the right time.

Uriarte was a stud the whole Game.
Mufua did a good job also.

Tupou had some HUGE steals in crunch time including the game winner (when CN had ball down 3 with 26 secs left).

And the freshman Masters had a big game! Key baskets in big moments.

Nice win by Folsom

Last edited:
Folsom 54
CN 49
Final

Key moment of the game.

Cn goes up 7 after making a FT with less than a minute left in 3rd. Doesnt sprint back on D from the made FT...Folsom inbounds pushes it up the floor and inexplicable the lefty 3 pt shooter from Folsom is left unguarded! Mertle is screaming to pick her up...Folsom finds her and she hits a MONSTER 3 to stop the CN run. Folsom calls an immediate timeout with 14 secs left. Everyone in the gym knows they are gonna press (otherwise why call the timeout) CN inbounds the ball the CN guard takes a dribble and nonchalantly throws a cross key pass that the Folsom guard steps in steals, drops it back to Mafua who makes the shot with 2 secs left. What was a 7pt CN lead with 46 secs left becomes a 2 pt game at the end of the 3rd. Folsom crowd going crazy....the momentum carries into the 4th as Folsom scores the 1st 10 pts of the 4th before CN finally hits a basket and stopping a 15-0 Folsom run.

CN had its chances late but just didn't make the plays. Credit Folsom for getting some big steals and for some of their role players having big games at the right time.

Tupou had some HUGE steals in crunch time including the game winner.

And the freshman Masters had a big game. Had some key baskets in big moments.

Nice win by Folsom
Good summary. Always tough to beat a good team 2x in a short period of time. Nice win by Folsom.
Good luck ladies against Mitty.

if there was any rhyme to the reason, it would be justifiable. But SERIOUSLY, there is no way you can justify some of the stuff that goes on in those seeding meetings. And as Clay pointed out, CCS got a great bracket for most of it's teams. NCS as usual, gets their asses handed to them and concedes with lower divisions. I feel bad for a team like St Pats that travels to Colfax (30-2) or San Domenico going to Vanden (d5 to d2) (25-8_ both of who had to travel after being section champs. That is absolute BS. Meanwhile, Runner up in D5 gets a #1 seed in D4 Runner up in D4 gets a 4 seed in D4. explain that to me...

Clay, does the Brown Act apply to any of this lack of transparency?
The Brown Act, sadly, does not apply.

As for the other seeding issue, it's body of work vs. power ranking.

The top seed in D4 is St. Bernard's, which is ranked 113th in the state and 17th in NCS (20.89 rating). Cornerstone Christian, which beat St. Bernard's in the NCS title game, is 174th in the state and 26th in NCS.

So does the single win trump the season's results? Clearly the NCS went with body of work, a not unreasonable stance. Of course it could be argued that Cornerstone is better because of that one game, but for all we know there were mitigating circumstances that caused NCS to submit its order of teams to NorCals that place St. Bernard's higher.

As for the others, competitive equity is a bad system -- its only virtue is that it's better than any other system.

This recap sounds wild why would CN do that
Are they afraid to play Mitty
In what part of the recap do you get the question, are they afraid to play Mitty? In watching the game, Folsom made more plays than CN did. None of the teams in the open are afraid to play Mitty, look at all of their schedules. They all prepare to play Mitty. Mitty is the #1 team in the country, how many players can say they had an opportunity to play the best team in the country?

Folsom 54
CN 49
Final

Key moment of the game.

Tupou had some HUGE steals in crunch time including the game winner (when CN had ball down 3 with 26 secs left).

Nice win by Folsom
Uriarte gets lost in the shuffle of other top players, but she's tough. I think she ends up with a good career at Idaho

The Brown Act, sadly, does not apply.

As for the other seeding issue, it's body of work vs. power ranking.

The top seed in D4 is St. Bernard's, which is ranked 113th in the state and 17th in NCS (20.89 rating). Cornerstone Christian, which beat St. Bernard's in the NCS title game, is 174th in the state and 26th in NCS.

So does the single win trump the season's results? Clearly the NCS went with body of work, a not unreasonable stance. Of course it could be argued that Cornerstone is better because of that one game, but for all we know there were mitigating circumstances that caused NCS to submit its order of teams to NorCals that place St. Bernard's higher.

As for the others, competitive equity is a bad system -- its only virtue is that it's better than any other system.
The recap sounded like a team giving up
Sounded Strange

Folsom 54
CN 49
Final

Key moment of the game.

Nice win by Folsom
NorthBay can you explain what you think was going on during that stretch where CN
Imploded

It wasn't the stretch..it was the last 40 secs of the 3rd and beginning of the 4th. A 40 sec brain fart changed the momentum of the game. Cn went from up 7 to down 8 in about a 4-5 min span. They made.a run back to cut it to 2 or 3 a couple of times in the last 2 mins but every time they had the ball with a chance to tie CN couldn't convert. In fact CN had the ball last, down 3 with 26 secs left and TuPoe (Folsom) made a great play of snatching the ball from the CN player and take it in for a breakaway layup to put folsom up 5 with 4.7 secs left and game was essentially over.

Give Tupoe credit for doing the things that wins these type of games. Without scoring she was the difference at the end of the game (last 4 mins) . She he'd THREE HUGE steals when CN was making their late game last ditch effort to mount the comeback. She was just really really clutch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT