Miramonte vs Pinewood Updates

jazzpt55

Hall of Famer
Sep 29, 2008
Can somebody at the
game provide updates?

This post was edited on 1/4 1:00 PM by jazzpt55

Re: Miramonte vs Pinewoood Updates

35-34 halftime Pinewood. Good game but not much being called. Favoring Miramonte.

Sets up a huge game in two weeks at SMS
MM will come in 15-1 and MD will come in 16-1

P came out quick and poised v M press, shredded it for easy baskets in transition, on fire beyond the arc, up by 10, maybe 12 in 1st quarter. M clawed back, but P always seemed to have an answer. M runs up the white flag, takes off the press in 2nd half goes to zone, P uses good spacing, ball movement, and strong low post game to keep the upper hand. I'd say it was back and forth in the middle quarters, except that M only had the lead for about a minute of clock time. P goes up by 6 early in the 4th, then the wheels come off. most noticeable was that M returned to full court pressure, and P couldn't regain their rhythm on the press break (likely abetted by their superb point sitting with 4 fouls), cooled off from beyond the arc, and stopped getting it to #25 in the paint. M (spelled I-O-N-E-S-C-U) caught fire late.

lots of fouls (both teams in bonus at the end of Q1) but more called against P. nobody fouled out, I think. I thought the game was called tightly but fairly (this from a M fan). a 28 minute clinic in superb girls' basketball, followed by one team getting hot, the other cold. fatigue didn't seem to be a factor.

to correct my misimpression--free throws were the difference. M scored 14 more from the stripe, won by 13 (73-60). and Hing fouled out, which helps explain P's struggles with the press down the stretch. Ionescu scored 43, was defended hard throughout, generally created her own shots.

This post was edited on 1/3 7:56 PM by mkbgdns

This post was edited on 1/4 7:50 AM by mkbgdns

This post was edited on 1/4 9:38 AM by mkbgdns

Do you think MM has a shot against MD in a couple of weeks?

don't know MD, but given M's reliance on one player (43 of 73 in a tough game), I doubt it. but even a loss could provide a measure of how good they are, such a measure having been lacking the past few years prior to the Open Division in Norcal. plus, you never know…that's why they bother to play. my money's staying in my wallet.

newspaper box score listed her at 40, but both her totals (12 14-20 5 3s) and team totals indicate 43. she has 4 teammates on the floor, but did a lot of it on her own. took over M's offensive end down the stretch. 3s, finishes, midrange pull-ups, free throws, the works. think Gemelos, hopefully with better knee karma.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT