ADVERTISEMENT

Miramonte

damim

Sports Fanatic
Nov 10, 2016
Why would Miramonte, a solid bay area program it appears, travel 5 hours to Fort Bragg last weekend and beat up on 3 small school teams in Fort Bragg, St. Vincents and Clear Lake? Is there a point to that? Just thinking outloud here...

Why would Miramonte, a solid bay area program it appears, travel 5 hours to Fort Bragg last weekend and beat up on 3 small school teams in Fort Bragg, St. Vincents and Clear Lake? Is there a point to that? Just thinking outloud here...

Nice road trip for the kids, but yeah they should really be seeking out tougher competition. Palma needs to play some good teams.

I think that has been going on for awhile and I was always curious of the connection. Coaches from the area? Former player coaching up there? Definitely interesting.

Miramonte has been a mainstay in the tournament probably twenty years. The old Fort Bragg coach Cobb Berger (84'-03') was originally from Piedmont and had a east bay connection. Always been a mix of smaller schools (Fort Bragg, St. Vincent. St. Bernard's, McKinleyville) with some more medium sized schools (Piedmont, Ponderosa, Colfax, Hiram Johnson, Las Lomas among others) have played in it in the past. Nice setting to get away and head up to the north coast.

Nice road trip for the kids, but yeah they should really be seeking out tougher competition. Palma needs to play some good teams.
Not sure why Palma didn't schedule tougher games up front like they have in the past. Usually they play at least WCAL team. In any event, Palma faces two against a decent 10-1 Hollister this week who has a D1 commit pitcher (any time you face a good pitcher is an indication of how good a team is) and start with state ranked Stockdale (undefeated) in the Boras Classic on April 11. This Palma teams has two junior commits (a pitcher committed to Cal and position player committed to SF State) and there are other players that will be playing in college and they have a soph pitcher coming up who will most likely be a D1 pitcher (he's ahead of his brother at this stage who is a 4 year starter at St Mary's) but because they have so much depth at pitching will probably stay at JV to get work in until maybe later in season. I think they are a top 5 CCS team, but tough to tell until the matchups get tougher. I think Hollister is a good team so will be a good indications and the 3-7 Monterey team Palma beat up only lost to Mitty by 2-1, the Chistopher team they beat up on lost to Los Gatos 5-2. They still need to face Salinas in league which defeated St Francis 2-1 and Hollister (this week) which will be good indicators on how good they are. They played two rain out games this week but their best pitchers are lined up against Hollister who will also have its best pitching this week.

This may be Palma's or at least up their with the Chieftains best starts of a season. I anticipate they lose a game at some point although to be even where they are so far and how dominating they have been, they are playing some really good ball.

Last edited:
Miramonte has been a mainstay in the tournament probably twenty years. The old Fort Bragg coach Cobb Berger (84'-03') was originally from Piedmont and had a east bay connection. Always been a mix of smaller schools (Fort Bragg, St. Vincent. St. Bernard's, McKinleyville) with some more medium sized schools (Piedmont, Ponderosa, Colfax, Hiram Johnson, Las Lomas among others) have played in it in the past. Nice setting to get away and head up to the north coast.
Makes sense then. History, coaches, teams, etc...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT