ADVERTISEMENT

Mission San Jose Drops Football

mshNASTY

Sports Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
Word on the street is that Mission San Jose High School in Fremont is dropping their football program. The 2,200 plus student enrollment and division 1 high school from the Mission Valley Athletic League (MVAL) was once a power house in the 70's and 80's winning NCS championships and producing players like former 49er Gary Plummer to the NFL. It's been a tough last two decades for the Warriors football team and interest seemed to be nonexistent in the community.

Word on the street is that Mission San Jose High School in Fremont is dropping their football program. The 2,200 plus student enrollment and division 1 high school from the Mission Valley Athletic League (MVAL) was once a power house in the 70's and 80's winning NCS championships and producing players like former 49er Gary Plummer to the NFL. It's been a tough last two decades for the Warriors football team and interest seemed to be nonexistent in the community.

Just curious how many guys have gone there and went on to play in college at any level the past few years? Anyone know?

That is really sad. I played for Washington HS during the mid 70's and the titles were pretty much owned between Mission & Washington. My have things changed...

Just curious how many guys have gone there and went on to play in college at any level the past few years? Anyone know?
The only one I can remember was 2002 PK Justin Medlock who went to UCLA and was later a 5th round pick by Kansas City

It is more the demographics of that area. Kids that have not grown up watching football. They have a solid badminton squad though.

I get its mostly Indian and Asian kids who rather play video games and build microchips........that's why I said 30 kids.....there isn't 30 white kids and a couple of black kids who want to play a sport that chicks enjoy and that makes u feel your teenage testosterone?

It is more the demographics of that area. Kids that have not grown up watching football. They have a solid badminton squad though.
LOL...SAT>2200 and ACT >30 is what they dig....well, volleyballs too.

The previous (not current) head coach's son (Vandeusen) went to play for Army (D1).

2-3 years ago a couple of kids went on to play at Presentation College (D3).

A poor team in a pathetic league...Logan had the right mind to get out though they still play a few token MVAL games.

I get its mostly Indian and Asian kids who rather play video games and build microchips........that's why I said 30 kids.....there isn't 30 white kids and a couple of black kids who want to play a sport that chicks enjoy and that makes u feel your teenage testosterone?
MC415 ....just pressed the right buttons, the Indian and Asian kids have no desire to enter into football and the American way of life...But i'm sure the kids that come out of mission san Jose can enter the job market with little trouble.....

MC415 ....just pressed the right buttons, the Indian and Asian kids have no desire to enter into football and the American way of life...But i'm sure the kids that come out of mission san Jose can enter the job market with little trouble.....

no doubt it's an academic powerhouse

I coached against them, 05-09, 11, and it was tough. The kids were good, and wanted to be good, but the coaching and support was lacking. They typically have 20+ valedictorians each year, anyone pretty much that has over a 4.0 because they can't differentiate the better student when they all are taking classes at the JC's. Incoming Freshmen, if mom and dad are Tiger enough, enroll in 0-period (before school) PE classes so they can take an additional class during the day, puts them 2-3 classes ahead by end of soph year. One of my neighbors, when the school boundary lines were shifted a bit, sold his house and moved 4 blocks to get on the MSJ side of the border. I'm talking the $900k type home back in '06. Kids would get extra credit for going to the games. So you would see groups of kids up in the stands at their games, studying for the SAT, had no idea what a football game was. Academic pressure is immense, the competition is fierce. There were kids dropping out of MSJ and going to other schools in the district because of the pressure to get A's and they couldn't take it. It starts in elementary school, my son was hauled in for 'academic testing' in 2nd grade because he liked recess more than school, liked to run and jump, he didn't fit the mold. The district counselor who did the testing said he had no idea why he was testing my son, he was a normal kid. I believe MSJ is still the only MVAL team to have won a football section championship. I do know that the badminton teams in the MVAL will kick your ass, when I was there it wasn't uncommon for the badminton team to be 2x as large as the football program.

I don't buy that argument.

There are multiple schools in the CCS that have higher asian populations, are better academically, have similar enrollments and are able to field football teams. Even Harker has football. Monta Vista has a solid football team. You can't tell me MSJ is better academically than Harker.

What does this say for Richmond high who got blown out by Mission SJ?

I coached against them, 05-09, 11, and it was tough. The kids were good, and wanted to be good, but the coaching and support was lacking. They typically have 20+ valedictorians each year, anyone pretty much that has over a 4.0 because they can't differentiate the better student when they all are taking classes at the JC's. Incoming Freshmen, if mom and dad are Tiger enough, enroll in 0-period (before school) PE classes so they can take an additional class during the day, puts them 2-3 classes ahead by end of soph year. One of my neighbors, when the school boundary lines were shifted a bit, sold his house and moved 4 blocks to get on the MSJ side of the border. I'm talking the $900k type home back in '06. Kids would get extra credit for going to the games. So you would see groups of kids up in the stands at their games, studying for the SAT, had no idea what a football game was. Academic pressure is immense, the competition is fierce. There were kids dropping out of MSJ and going to other schools in the district because of the pressure to get A's and they couldn't take it. It starts in elementary school, my son was hauled in for 'academic testing' in 2nd grade because he liked recess more than school, liked to run and jump, he didn't fit the mold. The district counselor who did the testing said he had no idea why he was testing my son, he was a normal kid. I believe MSJ is still the only MVAL team to have won a football section championship. I do know that the badminton teams in the MVAL will kick your ass, when I was there it wasn't uncommon for the badminton team to be 2x as large as the football program.
Irvington won NCS D2 when Robert Turbin was there in I think 2006

Irvington lost to Las Lomas, 21-14, in the 2005 NCS championship. That was Roberts Junior year, my first as a coach at Irvington. We lost in 2006 in the semis to Hayward.

Amoeba - If you don't buy it, what is the reason? If there is no support for the team/academics/discipline/water polo/whatever then what chance does it have? If you were hired as the HC at MSJ what would you do?

Reactions: mshNASTY
No school in the Bay Area, public or private, annually has more National Merit Scholars than MSJ. The huge Asian/Indian demographic is focused on academics. Certainly not football. Or track and field. Or wrestling. Or lacrosse. And so on. It's a different world in 2016. Frankly, a number of other Bay Area schools ought to quit football as well. Schools like Oceana and Westmoor dropped the sport years ago.

Oceana Sharks? I thought that school closed own...so they dropped football now I kno....my frined's daughter goes to Westmoor...wow...

Oceana did close for awhile. It then re-opened. It has only 600 or so students. Westmoor has nearly 2,000. Badminton is its most popular sport today.

Oceana did close for awhile. It then re-opened. It has only 600 or so students. Westmoor has nearly 2,000. Badminton is its most popular sport today.
And Westmoor has no FB team I believe, but a brand new field with field turf thanks to the SM County initiative to upgrade fields. SHs lower level teams has often used their field I believe.

And Westmoor has no FB team I believe, but a brand new field with field turf thanks to the SM County initiative to upgrade fields. SHs lower level teams has often used their field I believe.

The frosh play there sometimes. Varsity played St. Francis two years ago when Kezar was being worked on. They may not need it for practice after Hayward Playground is finished being renovated and made available for SHC football practice by the 2018 season.

Ah, little Fufu-bo comes out from under his rock to flap his lips again. Who's not surprised? Whether or not this I.Q.-challenged dipstick actually attended Riordan, their fans really should complain to the school about this clown's antics. He's an embarrassment enough on the board.

Last edited:
Get use to this shift guys. The Silicon Valley will continue to shift away from traditional American sports like football. It's all demographics and the concussion thing isn't helping matters either.

Mister irrelevant running his mouth off again. Get a life.Never seen one person obsessesed with another school like this moron.

Incredible. Definitely a screw loose. Now he's going to spend all season trying to project this "vaunted" crap on the rest of us about our new varsity players while the Kitties and Cottontails battle for last place.

Last edited:
Inner City schools like Oakland and SF will continue to see the drop as this area was the first to see its demographics change in a huge way over the past decade+. It's simply too expensive to live, even rent! For many working families...The City WCAL schools will need to continue to attract kids outside the CIty limits as well as provide aggressive tuition-assistance if it is to sustain a competitive football program.

Not surprising, will probably see more predominantly Asian/Indian schools do this in the future.

"Tragic" does not apply here. "Unfortunate" or "regrettable" would be better. It's clear that Mission San Jose cannot field a competitive football program, not a team, a program. The sky will not fall because of the decision. Boys in Fremont who want to play football will survive somehow somewhere else. The money spent on football can be used for other sports at Mission San Jose. The school's demographics cannot support a football program any longer. Unfortunate. Regrettable. But not tragic.

"Tragic" does not apply here. "Unfortunate" or "regrettable" would be better. It's clear that Mission San Jose cannot field a competitive football program, not a team, a program. The sky will not fall because of the decision. Boys in Fremont who want to play football will survive somehow somewhere else. The money spent on football can be used for other sports at Mission San Jose. The school's demographics cannot support a football program any longer. Unfortunate. Regrettable. But not tragic.

Tragic applies to the death of a player, not the end of a school's football program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT