ADVERTISEMENT

Monty beats Newman by 10?

Quaffer

Sports Fanatic
Jan 30, 2014
Shocker, at least to me. I thought Santa Rosa and Newman would be the top two in the NBL this season. I didn't think Monty had enough scorers. I guess I was wrong! Next couple games should be good.

Reactions: mcserveradmin
Really surprised as well. Newman beats a good Miramonte team by 10 and then loses to Monty. Miramonte goes on to beat Petaluma by about 40 and Monty barely got by Petaluma. Who knows. Its early. Monty has played a better schedule so far and 2x the number of games. League is up for grabs.

Monty loses to Tamalpais in the champ game. Def a down year in the North Bay. When is the last time the Red Hawks had a good team ? No disrespect because maybe Tam can knock off MC but they lost to the consolation champion Miramonte earlier in the year by 30. The same team Newman beat in this tourney. Newman did handle Analy 65-48 for the 3rd place game. Sounds like a lot of inconsistency earlier. The take ways I heard from a friend is Miramonte and Newman were arguably the best team but Monty really played well against Newman to get into the finals but played bad against Tam to lose.

If you want to see good basketball go see Newman girls. They just beat Def D3 state champ power SHC by 12. Those girls got game. They are def D4 state champ and have every player returning plus some nice additions. Arguably the best team ever from the Redwood Empire. Hell Make that north of Golden Gate. And coach merlte plays a nationally ranked schedule. Wins over SHC & Oak Ridge already plus a tough fought loss to powerhouse St Mary's of Stockton.

Reactions: insidescoop99
A little off topic but I find it very interesting that newman has decided to petition up to division 2 this year! Especially after the football program decided to stay at the division 4 level for football this season. Could it be that they are trying to avoid some of the bay area powers Salesian, St Pats, St Joe's and others. Traditionally NCS division 4 is very competitive and it is well known that NCS division 2 probably the weakest. I think it's a little weak and definitely sends mixed messages. Im not sure why they even allow schools to cherry pick there division. Any thougts?

Reactions: observer22
Sonoma, I think you hit nail on the head. D4 is loaded this year in Hoops. I mean with St Joes now its so stacked its not funny. I think Newman will be good this year but nothing special. They are 5-1 and play Marin Catholic tomorrow but for the most part have a cupcake schedule and should have 20 wins going into NCS. The girls team takes the opposite approach by playing the best of the best. (they also have the personnel to do it).

Sometimes what goes around comes around. Look what happened to Newman in football. They got "upgraded" to play VC and got asses handed to them. Clearly that was not the right selection.

Tam is a top 3 MCAL team with size, quickness, and shooting who might benefit from being placed in Division II and sneak into semis before being destroyed by BOD or Moreau. The last good Tam team I remember are the 2000 state champs where they borrowed players from other states and countries.

Anyway, a better discussion in the North Bay is regarding Healdsburg, who I haven't seen yet, but want to.

A little off topic but I find it very interesting that newman has decided to petition up to division 2 this year! Especially after the football program decided to stay at the division 4 level for football this season. Could it be that they are trying to avoid some of the bay area powers Salesian, St Pats, St Joe's and others. Traditionally NCS division 4 is very competitive and it is well known that NCS division 2 probably the weakest. I think it's a little weak and definitely sends mixed messages. Im not sure why they even allow schools to cherry pick there division. Any thougts?
Wow so they're doing it in basketball too. What a complete joke. So they're division is their division when it's weak and ripe for the picking. When it's loaded, they use the excuse to petition up and play in a weaker division. All for the purpose of winning a trophy. I ripped these guys on the football boards and it seems like they're taking it to the next level in basketball.

Has this been going on for years? Can someone confirm?

Im not 100 percent certain but I can't remember a time in the last 20 years when newman has played in any division besides ncs division 4. This year's team looks average at best, I can't see a rational explanation for the division move except to dodge the powerhouses in division 3 and 4.

Healdsburg plays Amador Valley next who is "decent". I use that loosely but they've played a very good schedule so far. (Mt. Eden, Whitney, Deer Valley, Las Lomas) If they beat them I think people start taking a notice.

Newman has never played anything other than D4 in hoops. That i know. (at least since the late 80's.)

I cant defend this move by CN COACH BONFIGLI. Hes clearly doing it to dodge D4 competition and IMO at this point of his career only cares about wins and adding to his wins legacy. Heck his 1st game of the year he scheduled Averroes HS. A school of 52 kids/ D6. What a difference between the boys and the girls programs. In this case the criticism is deserved.

Reactions: vcwarriorssj
I cant defend this move by CN COACH BONFIGLI. Hes clearly doing it to dodge D4 competition and IMO at this point of his career only cares about wins and adding to his wins legacy. Heck his 1st game of the year he scheduled Averroes HS. A school of 52 kids/ D6. What a difference between the boys and the girls programs. In this case the criticism is deserved.
Thanks for the clarification. I originally thought this to be rumors.

I have had a conversation with Coach Bonfigli and he feels this team has a better opportunity to reach the State play-offs in Division 2 than they do in Division 4(which is probably correct). I honestly do not feel it's about getting "his" wins but cannot argue with everyone in regard to the path that was taken with this years team.

I think you have to view every choice Newman makes within the overall goals of the school. They are having a difficult time keeping their enrollment up and use the athletic dept and its success as a prime mover in recruiting students. I think all of their divisional jockeying decisions are advocated from above in hopes of increasing their profile.

Newman boys did beat Marin catholic by 10 last night although it's basically the joey calcuttro show and nobody else. Marin Cath has a win against Modesto Christian so this will be a good win come seedings.( Modesto is hurt) I actually think Newman will be decent this year. It's unfortunate they haven't scheduled stronger which has been a theme. Wins are fine but they come to bite you if you haven't seen comp late in year.

Girls are legit. If I'm a girl in Sonoma county and can play this is the school I want to attend. D1 exposure.

I think you have to view every choice Newman makes within the overall goals of the school. They are having a difficult time keeping their enrollment up and use the athletic dept and its success as a prime mover in recruiting students. I think all of their divisional jockeying decisions are advocated from above in hopes of increasing their profile.

While you are correct that the school wouldn't be what it is if not for the athletic department. By no means is the "divisional jockeying" coming from higher ups. It's left up to the coaches to make those decisions in every sport. THAT I know for a fact.....the AD at CN is not a sports guy(unbelievably) and actually in a lot of sports related circumstances is quite naïve....

dumb decision. They won't make NorCal. EC, Odowd, Moreau will be top 3. Only 1 spot left. I would've gone to D3 if anywhere. They'd be a NorCal team in D4 for sure. Maybe Bonfigli is looking at getting a head start on his golf game

I'm not sure coach Tom golfs! But I was looking at the combined wins of some of there better wins and it's not as bad as I thought.

Analy 8-3
Miramonte 7-3
Windsor 7-2
Dougherty valley 4-5
Marin Catholic 2-5. (Has played a brutal schedule. Cathedral Catholic,
Folsom , SI, campo)

28-18 combined. One loss was too 9-3 Monty.

Weenie move for d2 but Newman will have a solid team and I still think they win NBL. And they aren't going anywhere with the likes of those Bay Area powers anyway.

dumb decision. They won't make NorCal. EC, Odowd, Moreau will be top 3. Only 1 spot left. I would've gone to D3 if anywhere. They'd be a NorCal team in D4 for sure. Maybe Bonfigli is looking at getting a head start on his golf game

The NCS backloads teams into the norcals if a team get pulled up to the Open.
I know BOD, who else may get pulled from D2?

The open teams I could see battling include: Woodcreek, Sheldon, BOD, Dublin, Salesian, and maybe a Folsom. But I don't see anybody else getting pulled up. The thing that will benefit newman is they basically play in a D2 league. (NBL). Even though it will be pretty weak this year they have a good chance of winning it. But clearly D4 with St Pats, Salesian, St Joes, and a few others is loaded. Is Palma still d4? They are very good for norcal.

Salesian should be in the open once Norcal happens. They were last year and return nearly the entire team. They have played a loaded schedule so far. (mater dei, Odowd, Woodcreek, westchester, bingham, UT) I've seen a lot of really good 20-5 teams come playoff time that are battle tested and I've seen some awful 23-2 teams that get beat early on because they haven't played anybody. To me its a good idea to get a few tough games in preseason even if they end up in an L.

Reactions: nostancenochance
The open teams I could see battling include: Woodcreek, Sheldon, BOD, Dublin, Salesian, and maybe a Folsom. But I don't see anybody else getting pulled up. The thing that will benefit newman is they basically play in a D2 league. (NBL). Even though it will be pretty weak this year they have a good chance of winning it. But clearly D4 with St Pats, Salesian, St Joes, and a few others is loaded. Is Palma still d4? They are very good for norcal.

Larry here is what bothers me. If they repeat last years bringing up eight teams,we are going to have teams that have no business being in an open bracket.
I may be in a minority about this, but I would limit it to four teams.

Palma looks like they could be better than they were last season and they were in the state D4 final. They have one of the top Norcal point/shooting guards Jamaree Bouyea back and lots of players back with experience. They lose their 6-6 forward that is now playing at Cal State East Bay but return his brother who started last season as a soph and had broke his leg before the state norcals (6-5 junior Garret Maker) who is going to be a star. His father played center on the Villanova team that defeated Parick Ewings Georgetown Hoya's in the NCAA finals. They return another staring guard and forward and have some young players that are very good. They seem to play better defense (have some physicality) this year and spread the ball around on offense. They seem to have more weapons. They worked hard in the offseason to try to get back to state. They are the favorites to win their league - MBL Gab a D1 league and probably will run the table by a high margin. They don't have St Francis or Mitty on the schedule this year but it looks like they could be a top 5 team in CCS this year. They play what looks like a good Los Gatos team tomorrow so will have a better indication of this team as far as a test.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of pulling a lot of teams up into the open either. We just don't have the # of elite type teams as the southern section. I would have no issues keeping it to 4 either. Its going to be hard for the north this year to compete with a team like Sierra Canyon anyway.

Glad to hear about palma. I like that program and the PG is very underrated. Thanks for sharing the info.

Mission HS San Francisco is also a very good small school team this year. Believe D4 at 822 enrollment.

the NORTH should never have to put 8 teams in the OPEN....the NORTH doesn't have nearly the depth of the SOUTH. 8 teams out of the SOUTH barely dents the depth they have down there.
Every year there are a couple of sacrificial lambs in the NORTH placed in the OPEN (to fill out the bracket)in both boys and girls.

I agree that 4 or even 6 would be a much better #

Palma looks like they could be better than they were last season and they were in the state D4 final. They have one of the top Norcal point/shooting guards Jamaree Bouyea back and lots of players back with experience. They lose their 6-6 forward that is now playing at Cal State East Bay but return his brother who started last season as a soph and had broke his leg before the state norcals (6-5 junior Garret Maker) who is going to be a star. His father played center on the Villanova team that defeated Parick Ewings Georgetown Hoya's in the NCAA finals. They return another staring guard and forward and have some young players that are very good. They seem to play better defense (have some physicality) this year and spread the ball around on offense. They seem to have more weapons. They worked hard in the offseason to try to get back to state. They are the favorites to win their league - MBL Gab a D1 league and probably will run the table by a high margin. They don't have St Francis or Mitty on the schedule this year but it looks like they could be a top 5 team in CCS this year. They play what looks like a good Los Gatos team tomorrow so will have a better indication of this team as far as a test.

Hey NorCalSportsFan, what is the makeup of the Palma basketball team in terms of Football players?
I years past I have scouted them, becaues they are a small school they tend to have 2 way sport athletes.
Somtimes this slows there start early in the season.
How do you see - NEXT- years team shaping up in term of early success and available quality players?
Thanks!

Palma only has one senior that played on varsity football F Cameron Jones (OL/DL). Jone's sister is star underclass Mitty Girl's basketball player. As far as next season, they will lose PG Bouyea who is the best player on the team and has interest from mid major colleges and lower division offers. Also will lose Sr Guard Nikhil Manimaram. They have a couple other seniors that they will lose that are two year players and were on the norcal championship team.

Back next season will be:

Jr Garret Maker, 6- 4 or 5, F, who's 6-11 father played on the Villanova National championship team. He's a good defender and offense will improve (started since frosh year). High upside. I think he is more athletic than his brother but focuses on just basketball. He would probably be a TE on the football team if he played football. He played football in the youth leagues but opted out in high school like his brother.

So Colin Neff, TE on JV who is a 3 sport athlete. His brother is a starting pitcher at St Mary's Moraga but also a 3 sport athlete at Palma and a top player at all of them. He could be more athletic than his brother. I think Colin probably could have played varsity football this year. I believe he is a good baseball player as well.

Jr Peter Powers (transfer from Mitty) who also plays football. May compete for QB position on varsity next season and most likely on defense. His brother Jack played at Palma and played football at OL at AZ State and now at Univ Virginia. I think Peter is around 6-2 or 3. His brother is 6-6 or 7 and so he probably has room to grow.

Jr Joey Burlison G. is an elite golfer that already has offers in that sport. He has basketball genes in his family. Father was one of Palma's top players in the 80s and a college player.

They have a very strong frosh class as far as athletes and could bee some being impact players next season especially at Guard. Palma has been very blessed at the guard sport in recent years with Orlando Johnson (NBA), Noah Allen (UCLA/Univ Hawaii) and now Jamaree Bouyea. I don't think they have that type of player coming up, but they should still be competitive.

Palma only has one senior that played on varsity football F Cameron Jones (OL/DL). Jone's sister is star underclass Mitty Girl's basketball player. As far as next season, they will lose PG Bouyea who is the best player on the team and has interest from mid major colleges and lower division offers. Also will lose Sr Guard Nikhil Manimaram. They have a couple other seniors that they will lose that are two year players and were on the norcal championship team.

Back next season will be:

Jr Garret Maker, 6- 4 or 5, F, who's 6-11 father played on the Villanova National championship team. He's a good defender and offense will improve (started since frosh year). High upside. I think he is more athletic than his brother but focuses on just basketball. He would probably be a TE on the football team if he played football. He played football in the youth leagues but opted out in high school like his brother.

So Colin Neff, TE on JV who is a 3 sport athlete. His brother is a starting pitcher at St Mary's Moraga but also a 3 sport athlete at Palma and a top player at all of them. He could be more athletic than his brother. I think Colin probably could have played varsity football this year. I believe he is a good baseball player as well.

Jr Peter Powers (transfer from Mitty) who also plays football. May compete for QB position on varsity next season and most likely on defense. His brother Jack played at Palma and played football at OL at AZ State and now at Univ Virginia. I think Peter is around 6-2 or 3. His brother is 6-6 or 7 and so he probably has room to grow.

Jr Joey Burlison G. is an elite golfer that already has offers in that sport. He has basketball genes in his family. Father was one of Palma's top players in the 80s and a college player.

They have a very strong frosh class as far as athletes and could bee some being impact players next season especially at Guard. Palma has been very blessed at the guard sport in recent years with Orlando Johnson (NBA), Noah Allen (UCLA/Univ Hawaii) and now Jamaree Bouyea. I don't think they have that type of player coming up, but they should still be competitive.

Hey NCSF
Thanks for the breakl down. I am always on the lookout for up and coming teams.
Here's wishing you great hoops
M

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT