ADVERTISEMENT

NAPA MAY REPEAT AGAIN

Bluedog2

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2007
In the 2015 season, the Indians ran the table in the Monticello Empire league with one close game against Vacaville in a 28-21 victory and in the preseason season, Napa got by Pittman21-14 and stopped Campolindo 21-14, but when playoff time rolled around, the Indians ran out of gas and lost 28-14 to St. Mary's of Stockton.
Napa closed out the season with a 5-0 league record and for the season, a 11-1....Now Napa got hit by Graduation , but have a 10-0 JV team moving up and you can bet that Coach Troy Mott will have the Indians ready for another go at another league title....BUT....their biggest threat may be Wood who has a host of returning players. Napa put together a powerful 2015 team and so we will see how the 2016 team shapes up.

8-26.....Casa Grande Away 7:30 P.M
9-02.....Rocklin Away 7:30 P.M.
9-09.....Pittman Away 7:30 P.M.
9-16.....Nevada Union Away 7:30 P.M.
9-23.....Pleasant Valley (chico)..Home 7:30 P.M.
9-30.....Bye
10-07.....Wood Home 7:30 P.M.
10-14.....Rodriquez Home 7:30 P.M.
10-21.....Vacaville Home 7:30 P.M.
10-28.....Armijo Away 7:30 P.M.
11-04.....Vintage Home 7:30 P.M.
A look at the 2016 schedule has three possible preseason tough games in Pittman, Rocklin and Pleasant Valley which should prepare the Indians for the Wood game and again, Vacaville will present a threat....

I have to agree we will have to see how both teams from Vacville will be come league. I believe Armijo, Rodriquez & Vintage have new coaches. Hope Vacaville does well against Oak Ridge, Granite Bay & Pittsburg.. Do not have info on Vacaville.

Only thing Napa will do is repeat the disappointment that has become associated with their program. Napa should be much much better every year and they continue to under perform. I thought last year was wonderful at 10-0 but again, felt the disappointment when they finished 11-1.

Only thing Napa will do is repeat the disappointment that has become associated with their program. Napa should be much much better every year and they continue to under perform. I thought last year was wonderful at 10-0 but again, felt the disappointment when they finished 11-1.

USMC comes on here (very seldom) just to punch on Napa. Guess he dislikes the beat down his RE teams get from the Indians,

USMC comes on here (very seldom) just to punch on Napa. Guess he dislikes the beat down his RE teams get from the Indians,
WELL....Napa has had some hard fought games against Pittman who they beat 21-14 and against Campolindo who they also beat 21-14, but it doesn't look like Napa is underperforming...They lost to St. Mary's of Stockton 28-14, but some times, no matter what, some one has your number except for DLS. BUT, also, just maybe, there are games that the Indians do not go all out???

Who does Wood have coming back? I thought they graduated almost all of their key guys.

BUT, also, just maybe, there are games that the Indians do not go all out???

Bluedog, I can't comment on that statement/question because I am not close enough to the program. I will say that they get ALOT from the athletes that they have. USMC states that they should get better every year. Not sure where that comes from - they lost players with the opening of American Canyon High School. Napa has never had the "speed athletes" (read between the lines) that most other schools are blessed to have.

Reactions: Winghunter
I've never seen Napa not "go all out", playing hard is kind of what they bring to the table. There are game when they are up big and lift the foot off the gas pedal, that's just good coaching and not showing up a lesser opponent. I have no doubt that Napa will be good again this year, they seem to be good every year with a solid staff and years of tradition to assure continuity. Teams like Napa who share athletes with 2 public and 1 private school have to have tradition and a steady hand on the wheel, they don't have the raw athletes they can just turn loose with the ball and watch things happen. They will grind it out and play mistake free football and try to win it in the 4th with conditioning and coaching.

Bluedog2.... I watched Wood V & JV play twice last year and I also caught 2 Freshmen games, it seemed abundantly clear that once these Seniors graduate their explosive talent is going with them. They have talent coming back but not enough and the JV and Freshman class' are not bringing much to the table. They will be better than they have been in the past but I don't think they can compete with Napa or Vaca, last year was their shot at making a run.

Bluedog2.... I watched Wood V & JV play twice last year and I also caught 2 Freshmen games, it seemed abundantly clear that once these Seniors graduate their explosive talent is going with them. They have talent coming back but not enough and the JV and Freshman class' are not bringing much to the table. They will be better than they have been in the past but I don't think they can compete with Napa or Vaca, last year was their shot at making a run.
WOW...this is good stuff, it looks like Wood will rely on their QB and two running backs to inspire the offense, but its the line that will either make or break Wood...The JV's looked O.K. but the Freshman right now have nothing to bring to the table....One of the guys listed a large group of seniors that have departed, so filling their shoes for the 2016 campaign is a super project...

WOW...this is good stuff, it looks like Wood will rely on their QB and two running backs to inspire the offense, but its the line that will either make or break Wood...The JV's looked O.K. but the Freshman right now have nothing to bring to the table....One of the guys listed a large group of seniors that have departed, so filling their shoes for the 2016 campaign is a super project...
Last year Wood had as much talent as I've ever seen on a Wood team, they were also very well coached. That staff will take what they have and do the best they can with them, I predict they will finish 3rd in the MEL but compete against all the teams. Napa is Napa and Vacaville was very very young last year and still a good team, they had a Freshman running back on varsity. Coach Pop will mold those young kids into a great team, he's done it many times at VHS. Coach Mott has a program that builds strength and discipline, once on Varsity he absolutely gets 100% out of those kids.

USMC is hilarious...clearly has the highest of expectations for Napa. Napa is NOT DLS, and never will be. The Indians always continue to grind.

USMC is hilarious...clearly has the highest of expectations for Napa. Napa is NOT DLS, and never will be. The Indians always continue to grind.
USMC is a die hard Cardinal Newman fan. Newman, then the rest of the Redwood Empire teams. He just likes to hate on Napa. No problem.

What can I say? I have high expectations for Napa just like their fans do. I suppose my expectations are a bit higher. There is a big difference between DLS and any school. Napa's past performance doesn't even put them close, though with their coaching and size, I believe they should be doing better. Im not sure when high expectations turned into hating.

Napa has never had the "speed athletes" (read between the lines) that most other schools are blessed to have.

In other words just a bunch of "gym rats, coaches on the field, constant motor, lunch pail and hard hat kids, high GPA types, first one on the field last ones to leave, smart, heady, disciplined etc.

In other words just a bunch of "gym rats, coaches on the field, constant motor, lunch pail and hard hat kids, high GPA types, first one on the field last ones to leave, smart, heady, disciplined etc.
is that supposed to be some kind of slam on me? No, mostly white kids! enough said.

Napa is in a city that many people don't understand. The demographics have been gradually shifting and it has had a monstrous impact on football in the City and Valley. Whereas Napa used to be very white and blue collar with a number of adults working in Vallejo at Mare Island, it has become a lot more hispanic and the white population are generally much older with fewer kids. The Hispanic population at the High Schools don't play football. There are some, but a vast majority play soccer or nothing at all. Napa coaches work very hard to get the most out of their athletes. Last year they had a great season, and their upcoming JV team was 10-0. However, a couple of blown assignments led to a loss in the quarterfinals to a very good and very young St. Mary's team. Only one team each year gets to win a Section Championship at each Division. That means there are many more that don't accomplish this feat. If Napa wins the MEL, they will once again play in the D1 playoffs, but if they didn't win, they would drop down to D2. Enrollment is declining.

Napa played in Antioch's passing tournament yesterday and went 3-1 for what that is worth. 7 on 7 is not real football or what Napa does in games. Napa beat Clayton Valley, College Park, De La Salle, and then lost to Clayton Valley in the Semifinal game. Napa has athletes, but has a lot to prove on the field. A number of kids will need to step up and take on larger roles than expected. It will be a fun season to watch.

I don't think USMC's opinions matter much to Napa. He isn't a part of the family, and it is true that more often than not Napa handles its Redwood Empire opponents with ease. Cardinal Newman turns down opportunities to play against Napa.

You bet Cardinal Newman turns down opportunities to play Napa. They are under no obligation to do so. CN is Div. IV by enrollment. Like you said, Napa is Div. I.

Napa played Piner about 10 years ago. Montgomery during a rebuilding year, and spars with Casa Grande which produce entertaining contests. Napa lead the series, good for you.

CN turns down Napa, but is willing to play other D1 schools. Hmmm.....might they be afraid of the smash mouth football? Napa played both Rancho Cotate and Piner in 2004 and 2005 and beat both schools handily both years. Napa beat Montgomery the last 2 years in a row by a combined score of 90-28. Napa beat Casa Grande 3 of the last 4 years and outscored them over those years 134-63. There are NO teams in the North Bay League or Sonoma County League that could play consistently with Napa. Why does Cardinal Newman opt down for the playoffs? What is the Division of their league? The MEL is classified a D1 league, so when Napa wins league they must play D1 regardless of their population (D2) Is the NBL a D2 League and Cardinal Newman opts to play down? Can they not opt up? With a good school so close, why not play Napa and have a good game and gate? Why not start a healthy rivalry like Casa Grande has?

I like seeing teams from both Empires (Redwood/Monticello) match up...hope to see Vacaville-Rancho Cotate or Windsor-Wood....liked the MC vs Vacaville.

CN turns down Napa, but is willing to play other D1 schools. Hmmm.....might they be afraid of the smash mouth football? Napa played both Rancho Cotate and Piner in 2004 and 2005 and beat both schools handily both years. Napa beat Montgomery the last 2 years in a row by a combined score of 90-28. Napa beat Casa Grande 3 of the last 4 years and outscored them over those years 134-63. There are NO teams in the North Bay League or Sonoma County League that could play consistently with Napa. Why does Cardinal Newman opt down for the playoffs? What is the Division of their league? The MEL is classified a D1 league, so when Napa wins league they must play D1 regardless of their population (D2) Is the NBL a D2 League and Cardinal Newman opts to play down? Can they not opt up? With a good school so close, why not play Napa and have a good game and gate? Why not start a healthy rivalry like Casa Grande has?

Honestly not really sure why Newman would not want to play Napa. They have played St. Mary's, VC, Del Oro (D2, but a pretty good program) in the past. Seems like it would be a good game. Plus a chance to play Memorial stadium, win-win.

The NCS does not designate leagues for playoff purposes (i.e. The NBL is not designated as a D1, D2 etc league). Each school goes to their bracket by enrollment. Newman is a D4 school and usually has opted up to D3. Last year Newman played in its natural playoff bracket (D4) for the first time in awhile.

Yes D1 Napa beat D2 Rancho, D3 Piner, and D2 Montgomery while all three were down and rebuilding. Good for you. Just bad luck Napa scheduled them on down years, but it doesn't make the wins any more impressive.

And if they played CN and beat them, it would be a rebuilding year as well.....your song is old and sounds like an excuse more than anything. The fact is that Napa has beaten RE teams when they are in front of them.

Well if Napa beat CN when they went 5-5 and failed to make playoffs, yes that would be a rebuilding year. Because that's where you beat Rancho, Monty, and Piner.

All I know is Newman rolled Casa and Monty by a lot last year (average of 6 TD's) and the one common opponent with Napa was St. Mary's of Stockton which Newman lost on a controversial 2 pt conversion by 1. The St Mary's team that beat Napa by 14. The same St Mary's team that nearly upset Folsom in D1 SJS. Newman would do just fine against Napa but there is really no reason to play when you already play somebody in D1 stronger. (st Mary's)

Yeah....check Rancho's record those two years again. I believe they went to the 2nd round of the playoffs each of those years. In 2004, Napa beat Rancho by 48 and CN beat Rancho by 23. In 2005, both Napa and CN defeated Rancho by 19....last year, Napa beat both Montgomery and Casa Grande teams by relatively the same margin as CN. I do believe CN has a good program. I just take offense to your constant belittling of Napa. You know little about the program, and then you use half baked truths or outright lies to downplay how Napa has played Redwood Empire schools over the years. You have done this in the past as well. I wish Napa would petition out of the SJS so that they could be placed in the same league as CN.

Last year, CN caught St Mary's early in the season while they were still finding their stride. Napa lost on two broken coverages...no excuses...they lost. My point is that I don't know why Cardinal Newman always dodges a game with Napa. It would be a great series. It will be great to watch CN play St Mary's this year. I think I will make that game if I can.

BTW...the drops mic thing is cute...I know you'll pick it back up sooner or later. You can't help yourself. Yes, I am trolling you in case you can't guess....please respond to prove my point....or truly leave the mic on the ground.

Last edited:
Napa Injun- I got nothing against Napa HS. I've always thought you guys have had a really good program. I just think Newman would be a formidable opponent but honestly it would be sort of crazy for either program to play each other. Newman wins its a big loss for Napa and Napa wins and they should because they are a bigger d1 school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT