ADVERTISEMENT

NCP Football Section Rankings

NorCalSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2001
Great to get out so early.

As far as CCS, San Benito may be a surprise team. The seniors as frosh were dominant on both sides of the ball and 10-0. They dominated Salinas (26-0), Los Gatos (35-13), Gilroy 48-13. The juniors as frosh (8-2) defeated Los Gatos 37-13, Gilroy 24-14, Salinas 42-21. Lost to only Alvarez 21-0, and Palma 24-14. They should compete for Gab title.

As far as league strength - the new Pacific Coast Athletic League (PCAL) Gabilan is arguably stronger than the DeAnza and in the least will battle at the top. Hollister returns a very fast dual threat returning starter and lots of speed as far as underclass. They will have very good defense as well with the seniors in this class. Hollister is tough to gage as far as their JV results because they bring up many players to varsity as sophs. The PAL Bay's Menlo-Atherton probably should be at 4th to 6th in CCS - Salinas and Milpitas may be a little overrated (and Wilcox could be underrated and could win the deAnza - may be 4th or 5th top teamin CCS). The WCAL top three are probably the top 3,. not necessarily that order, while Mitty is probably underrated and probably should be higher. WCAL will probably again be a level ahead of the rest of the leagues at least top 4.

I will have my pics and analysis for the Gab shortly, and also WCAL. Am also looking at my local EBAL teams.

Salinas has a D1 QB prospect (Richardson) and decent receivers (one playmaker that transferred from Seaside), and RB is a bull and big (Cortez). Salinas offense should be very good and should be able to score points with quite a few really good possession WRs and a couple are very tall and tough to defend. Defense should be decent and they could defeat Milpitas this year again which may be overrated as is probably Los Gatos in the rankings. Will find out in those games. Salinas D-line should be pretty good. Team speed will be average for Salinas though - not any real burners with maybe exception of kid from seaside who is very quick. Salinas will have to reload pretty much their entire skill positions except top RB. They will replace a talented group on both sides of the ball. Will compete for title but not guaranteed and could be a little high in ranking but probably in the top 8and reasonable to take them as favorite in Gab league.

Palma offense should be very good (speed at all the skill positions at WR and RB with a D1 prospect at RB (Villegas), and QB (Surgent) that can throw the ball well and is mobile). Defense is question mark as far as LBs and need to fill a couple linemen. DBs will be very good. Will know who good line is early against Menlo Atherton as well as defense. They will be underdog though, but should be able to score this year so defense will be the uncertainty and that is usually a strength at Palma.

Gilroy is in a tougher league now and didn't fair well as underclass when they were in the league with many of the teams in the PAL Gab when it was the MBL Gab. Until they play some games in this league, they may be overrated. Maybe 4-5th in their league. RB is very strong and on offense Gilroy is always decent. Defensive side of the ball will be question mark in the league.

Seaside will have some talent, but depth again maybe issue. One of their top players transferred to Salinas (WR, DB). Will give a detailed view on them but could be tough year for Seaside.

Aptos returns a good QB and a very physical RBs and many defenders. They will have some physical players but may not have the line this year but always a threat to control the ball with their offense and defense should be physical but maybe a little undersized on line. Not lots of depth. Not my pick to win league but they could compete and surprise. I see Aptos as one of those teams that is pretty consistent even when down as underclass. They seem to really work hard and their coach has them running that Wing-T offense really well. They have a core off 5 or 6 really good players and if the others step up will be dangerous in league.

Christopher has some speed but probably middle of the pack to bottom. North Salinas has a few really good players but depth an issue and probably competing at the bottom.

Last edited:
Great breakdown as always @NorCalSportsFan. I think this could be one of the most fun leagues to watch this year in NorCal (very competitive and also higher end football).

Not in this league, but what do you think of Carmel?

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Great job NorCal, one small detail, North Salinas was moved down to the Mission, Alvarez is still in the Gabilan. But I think they will be battling with the bottom tier.

Carmel was placed in the "B+" Mission division with; Soledad, Watsonville, North Salinas, Scott's Valley, Alisal, and Monte Vista Christian.

Carmel should be very good this year as they return all of their skill players on offense and only lose 2 defensive starters. Their running back, Mornhinweg, is a special type of athlete. He missed the first 6 games last year because he transferred from RLS to Carmel. (not quite sure why with the new "open" transfer policies) When he came back Carmel was pretty dominate to end the season and finished tied for 2nd, but lost the tiebreaker (then less power points) to make the playoffs. In addition they bring back the linemen of the year in Defensive tackle Robert Brown, a and the Back of the year in Rashan Ward.

If there is one weakness it will be their offensive line. There number 1 returner chose not to play this year in addition they lost 2 other all league selections to graduation. They will be young and very inexperienced.

I see Scott's Valley, great skill players but small roster, and Watsonville as maybe their biggest challenges.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Thanks. You are right about North Salinas. Also Seaside I need to look at closer. It seems one impact player transferred to Salinas...WR Gaskins who is very quick. Seaside looks like it will lack depth but always has one of two decent skill players and a few big linemen. Alvarez is usually very strong in the lower levels but for some reason the continuuity of coaching impacts them at the varsity level. Looking at them in more detail. \

As far as Carmel...I defer to RLS13. Haven't had a chance to look at the league or Carmel in detail yet. Looking at WCAL, EBAL and PAL before . Mornhinweg is one to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT