ADVERTISEMENT

NCS Open passes

There are only 25 NCS berths in NorCals. To guarantee that Divisions !V-VI retain their four NorCal spots, the math works out best with six Open teams.

Reactions: OnBall8
Miramonte, Heritage, Saint Joe's, Salesian, Cardinal Newman, o Dowd. Whatever order you want you but you can print the team list now.

There is a 1 % chance a team outside those 6 make open this year.

I agree. Just setting the record straight in regards to SRV. I know Carondelet is supposed to be down this year, but if another team sneaks into that 6, they’d be a candidate as well.

NO WAY the first year of the open and two teams that have never made a section final go to the open. LBJ6 hit it right, book those 6 teams now in the open.

yah right now before NOBODY has played a game...season is a different story

Miramonte, Heritage, Saint Joe's, Salesian, Cardinal Newman, o Dowd. Whatever order you want you but you can print the team list now.
You sound pretty confident about that. I’m not so sure Miramonte is better than Acalanes, let alone can compete with San Ramon or Cal. You obviously haven’t seen how much improvement these teams have made the last couple of years.

1st of all I'm ecstatic that the OPEN has passed.
They picked a great year to do it as the girls OPEN will be EXTREMELY competitive with any of the "predicted" 6 able to win with no prohibitive favorite. I agree with the lock the 6 in right now narrative.

And I'm sorry coach case but those 3 teams aren't even in the same hemisphere as MM. MM is REALLY good and has a shot of being the overall 1 in the Norcal OPEN when it's all said and done.

LOCK it in now.. the NCS OPEN winner will be the Norcal OPEN #1 seed

Reactions: Coach_Case
Off of this summer, even with Hunter Hernandez out, I think Mitty looks like NorCal #1.

But I will say we have a lot of pieces at Miramonte this year. We don't have size, granted, but we can score ...

The Open Division in CCS has allowed the reasonably decent publics to have a solid shot at enrollment-based section titles. It's a feel-good equity exercise that generates interest and revenue on the public side, although, quite often, a non-Open private/parochial will dominate a lower division. In 2019, the PAL captured both the Division I (Sequoia) and II (Aragon) crowns, something that has never occurred before. It was a direct byproduct of the Open Division quarantine of the very best private/parochials into one single batch (usually seven of them plus one unfortunate public sacrificial lamb).

Last edited:
It would be great to include SRV in the Open discussion but they typically don't play a competitive schedule to allow comparisons with the stronger teams. You can't build a resume of wins against lesser opponents and expect to be considered an "Open" team. Hopefully that will change this year. And second the MM projections. Those kids can play.

Off of this summer, even with Hunter Hernandez out, I think Mitty looks like NorCal #1.

But I will say we have a lot of pieces at Miramonte this year. We don't have size, granted, but we can score ...

It's Sept 28th. We just started league football....give hoops a rest and go play AAU until we call you for league

It would be great to include SRV in the Open discussion but they typically don't play a competitive schedule to allow comparisons with the stronger teams. You can't build a resume of wins against lesser opponents and expect to be considered an "Open" team. Hopefully that will change this year. And second the MM projections. Those kids can play.

What do you think the score of SRV-DLS will be? You think they can keep it within 40?

It's Sept 28th. We just started league football....give hoops a rest and go play AAU until we call you for league

I believe this is the girls' basketball forum, which would imply discussions about girls' basketball. So presumably those who come here want to talk about it. It would seem if you don't want to talk about it, you would stick to the football forum.

I like the new format but how can you not have Oakland Tech or Oakland High who both won state titles last year not even mentioned. I agree those are good teams but they have all taken hits like the rest of us. Were gonna have some public schools surprise you all this year.

Reactions: Coach_Case
I wouldn't sleep on San Ramon or Cal High ...
Clay I wouldn't sleep on either one of them but called Cal High for games and they run for cover. San Ramon and Cal High have done really well but who are they playing..... I mean no disrespect to anyone but in order to be the best you have to play the best....

Last edited:
LOCK it in now.. the NCS OPEN winner will be the Norcal OPEN #1 seed

As clay alluded to, Mitty could throw a wrench in this... and on the court too... They play SJND, BOD and C-Let in January.. and (assuming Clay puts MM in the top bracket of the WCJ) AM could face the mats and/or salesian as well in late december. Go through that unscathed and there's no doubt who's number 1

I like the new format but how can you not have Oakland Tech or Oakland High who both won state titles last year not even mentioned. I agree those are good teams but they have all taken hits like the rest of us. Were gonna have some public schools surprise you all this year.
Dude neither of those teams are even in the NCS for one. And 2, they have a far worse strength of schedule than both the teams you are reffering to below on this thread.

Dude neither of those teams are even in the NCS for one. And 2, they have a far worse strength of schedule than both the teams you are reffering to below on this thread.
You're right but they still won State Titles and none of the teams you mentioned won state titles last year. I'm just saying they should at least be mentioned in the conversation.

You're right but they still won State Titles and none of the teams you mentioned won state titles last year. I'm just saying they should at least be mentioned in the conversation.
The conversation that I was having were about the best 6 teams in the NCS. But yes Oakland and Oakland Tech are both great teams and Champions! If we are starting a new convo here, Oakland and Oakland Tech won the D3 and D4 state title, The 6 I mentioned were either Open Teams or State D1 teams. So I personally still don't think either belong in the Convo with those 6 even if we are talking all of Norcal but I respect your opinion regardless.

Clay I wouldn't sleep on either one of them but called Cal High for games and they run for cover. San Ramon and Cal High have done really well but who are they playing..... I mean no disrespect to anyone but in order to be the best you have to play the best....

you don't just have to play the best, you have to beat them too. SR advanced pretty far in the D1 finals a couple years ago, Cal high has underachieved the last 4-5 years. I think they're head and shoulders better than tech and Oakland high.

Just cause the Oakland schools beat (both d1) up some d3 and d4 schools doesn't mean that they're D1 or open ready. They're both good, but not in the conversation of open or elite D1 teams, YET. Only time will tell..

Different sections...CCS and SJS are their OWN section. they wouldn't meet up until Norcal playoffs...
giphy.gif

Reactions: SouthBayHoopFan
There's always the concern that won-loss record will trump strength of schedule when it comes to seeding -- which is why the formula that NCS devises to rate teams is important. In the past, everyone used the MaxPreps formula, but now each section will create its own, and at this point, no one knows what any of them are.

I think, though, that overall the Open will encourage teams to schedule as tough as possible. If you win games, you get a good seed in the Open; if you lose too many, you're in D1, which will be somewhat easier. Of course, the worst thing is to get a low seed in either Open (section or Norcal).

But now, how long before SJS adds an Open?

Last edited:
The teams you listed were all in divisions much higher that both Oak and Tech. Competitive equity places teams in the respective pool of teams. Tech and Oak we place appropriately in D3 and D4 I think, way below those others.

There's always the concern that won-loss record will trump strength of schedule when it comes to seeding -- which is why the formula that NCS devises to rate teams is important. In the past, everyone used the MaxPreps formula, but now each section will create its own, and at this point, no one knows what any of them are.

I think, though, that overall the Open will encourage teams to schedule as tough as possible. If you win games, you get a good seed in the Open; if you lose too many, you're in D1, which will be somewhat easier. Of course, the worst thing is to get a low seed in either Open (section or Norcal).

But now, how long before SJS adds an Open?

I agree 100%!!!

Time for the SJS to step up and add an Open section.

Hopefully that will happen ... it would make it so much easier. Top two teams from NCS, SJS and CCS Opens go to NorCal Open. If a deserving team from Northern, SF or Oakland appears, add them in. If not, keep it at six.

Can someone explain to me why CCS doesn't have an open division similar to NCS? It seems like DLS is Nor Cal default Open representative game(usually 99.999% deserved) but why doesn't CCS have the 4 team structure in Open?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT