ADVERTISEMENT

NCS Seeding Prediction

No upset.. Newman wins and that is 13 in a row for them. Should get no worse than #4.
Newman made shots in the 2nd half, and the Vikes didn't. Newman deserved to win.

One thing that is certain(and every person in that gym, doesn't matter which side, both would attest), whoever assigned those two poor refs to a league championship game needs a new evaluation system. It was comical. Unbelievably inconsistent.

Like I said, CN deserved to win, they played their best when it mattered.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
No upset.. Newman wins and that is 13 in a row for them. Should get no worse than #4.

Awwww shucks! That's a bitter pill for me to swallow, pretty sure it's the first time I've ever made a bad prediction! Ever!

You may want to take a glance at the ladies basketball forum however..... An upset has been revealed over there that will come to pass two weeks from either tonight or tomorrow!

- donnie the revelator

Reactions: UncleYacht
Anytime Donny. I've been talking a lot about that Redwood team and they lost a heart breaker to very good Branson last night 41-40 after leading most of the game. Sounds like it was a great game/atmosphere. I think a team like Redwood/Newman might surprise some folks in D2. We shall see.

Anytime Donny. I've been talking a lot about that Redwood team and they lost a heart breaker to very good Branson last night 41-40 after leading most of the game. Sounds like it was a great game/atmosphere. I think a team like Redwood/Newman might surprise some folks in D2. We shall see.

I definitely think you are on to something there! You know where I was able to see a clip of the Branson kid nailing that game winning three from the corner!?

Yep, you guessed it! Online at https://ysn365.com --- THE HOME OF THE CLASSICS!

What’s the rule on qualifying for NCS - is there a minimum win percentage, more specifically can you make it with a sub .500 overall record? Or do they just take the top 16 teams from max preps? I was looking at D2 and trying to get a ball park idea of the teams that’ll make it in.

What’s the rule on qualifying for NCS - is there a minimum win percentage, more specifically can you make it with a sub .500 overall record? Or do they just take the top 16 teams from max preps? I was looking at D2 and trying to get a ball park idea of the teams that’ll make it in.
A sub .500 team can make it if they have a winning record against teams in their own division.

You have be be at least .500 in one of three areas. 1) .500 overall, 2) .500 in league, or 3) .500 vs teams in your same division.

So theoretically a horrible D3 team in an otherwise D2 and D4 league can go 0-14 in league and 2-23 overall, but still make the NCS based on their being .500 (1-1) vs other D3 teams. Hopefully it’s not that bad, but that is enough to qualify.

the
You have be be at least .500 in one of three areas. 1) .500 overall, 2) .500 in league, or 3) .500 vs teams in your same division.

So theoretically a horrible D3 team in an otherwise D2 and D4 league can go 0-14 in league and 2-23 overall, but still make the NCS based on their being .500 (1-1) vs other D3 teams. Hopefully it’s not that bad, but that is enough to qualify.

the short answer is yes...

the biggest problem now is that they take 16 teams and most of the time DONT get 16 that qualify.....so in your extreme example they would qualify because they wouldn't have enough teams to fill out the brackets otherwise. Its dumb..I agree...

Newman made shots in the 2nd half, and the Vikes didn't. Newman deserved to win.

One thing that is certain(and every person in that gym, doesn't matter which side, both would attest), whoever assigned those two poor refs to a league championship game needs a new evaluation system. It was comical. Unbelievably inconsistent.

Like I said, CN deserved to win, they played their best when it mattered.

I thought Monty played loose and with nothing to lose in the 1st half. The big kid had his best half Ive ever seen him have.

At halftime they went into the locker room hooting and hollering lookn like they were primed for the upset ....and then came out in the 3rd qtr and went straight conservative...running the clock down and changed their entire psyche. Almost like they were trying to get the game over quicker rather than just balling like they were in the 1st half.
And CN just grinded them out. Harvey got no help....and the big kid didn't have the same 2nd half as he did in the 1st....

I have to admit that the CN boys team is better than I thought they would be. I actually think if they get a favorable norcal placement they could make a run(assuming they win the 2 games to get there in NCS).

The football players really made a big difference on the team as CN took off after they joined the team.

Last edited:
I thought Monty played loose and with nothing to lose in the 1st half. The big kid had his best half Ive ever seen him have.

At halftime they went into the locker room hooting and hollering lookn like they were primed for the upset ....and then came out in the 3rd qtr and went straight conservative...running the clock down and changed their entire psyche. Almost like they were trying to get the game over quicker rather than just balling like they were in the 1st half.
And CN just grinded them out. Harvey got no help....and the big kid didn't have the same 2nd half as he did in the 1st....

I have to admit that the CN boys team is better than I thought they would be. I actually think if they get a favorable norcal placement they could make a run(assuming they win the 2 games to get there in NCS).

The football players rally made a big difference on the team as CN took off after they joined the team.

I am a big believer that the football players add quite a bit to this CN team - I said it early on, and while they are not basketball first athletes, they bring a level of toughness and have no fear of being in big games (they have a lot of experience at that in FB). In HS hoops, being strong, athletic, aggressive, and "not fearing the moment" sometimes is enough to be a factor - and these boys are really contributing, it may go unnoticed at times, but just getting extra possessions from a tip or O-rebound is huge. I think the CN guards are the two best on ball defenders in the county, and their front line is underrated. CN got after it in the second half, it all started with their defense and rebounding.

They seem to be learning to play together a bit better, and while they clearly will not be the favorites in NCS D2 - they have to the potential to make some noise.

I am a huge fan of Monty and how they play - I don't use players names, but their senior guard is a great competitor who can shoot the lights out when he gets going. I'll be rooting for all the local teams, I think Piner has a chance to get some W's as well.

Good luck to all the local teams......

RUNTMC- Agree with you on Newman. Those football kids are great athletes and now are "rounded" into hoop shape. Its all matchups. They will get a home game or 2 and that matters big time.
Should be a fun D2.

The football players rally made a big difference on the team as CN took off after they joined the team.

Classic rope a dope by the Guru!

DLS’s big win at Dublin probably secures them the 2 seed despite Logan’s win Thursday against Moreau.

RUNTMC- Agree with you on Newman. Those football kids are great athletes and now are "rounded" into hoop shape. Its all matchups. They will get a home game or 2 and that matters big time.
Should be a fun D2.

DELA"s win secures them the #1 seed
2. Dublin
3. Logan
4. San Leandro
5. College Park bad loss to Acalanes
6. MV could move past CP
7. Doughtery . (beat Mitty)
8. Liberty
9. Amador
10. Freedom
11. Clayton
12. Heritage
13. Arroyo
14. Granada
15. Napa
16 . anyone to lose by 30 to Dublin

DELA"s win secures them the #1 seed
2. Dublin
3. Logan
4. San Leandro
5. College Park bad loss to Acalanes
6. MV could move past CP
7. Doughtery . (beat Mitty)
8. Liberty
9. Amador
10. Freedom
11. Clayton
12. Heritage
13. Arroyo
14. Granada
15. Napa
16 . anyone to lose by 30 to Dublin[/QUOT

Based on last year’s brackets, they may go with 14 seeds 1 & 2 getting a bye. Would they go by point differential since Dublin and DLS split the season series?

Last edited:
nightmare scenario for CN in D2...a potential 5th game vs Monty in 2nd round...

CN 4-0 this yr vs Monty...

good spot for Monty... 1-4? and end CN season?
Monty take that in a heartbeat and they be the 1st to say they won the only game that mattered.

Guru..... I get what you are saying. But if you look at it this way... Las Lomas should be a good tuneup, but Newman wins going away. Then they get another home game against a team they've beaten 4x already. They should get a matchup with Moreau and regardless a trip to Norcal. I would rather be playing Monty in round 2 than a team like Redwood. (this year at least). And Tam has beaten Monty in prior years and only lost to them by 2 this year. Not a guaranteed W. Its the playoffs baby... Time to shine or go home. That #8/#9 game Santa Rosa vs Bethel should be interesting.

Are O'Dowd & Moreau open teams this year? If so, CN could lose 2nd round game and still advance to NorCals, correct?

In the past that would be the case in basketball - however I believe they switched over to the "competitive equity (what ever that means)" a year or two ago, much like football. So even if they were to pull BOD and MC to the open from D2, not sure if that would open additional slots as in the past....not real sure on this though.

As far as the Monty / Newman possible match-up, I'll say this, neither team should be thinking about that at this point, Tam is no easy gimme, and LL has been playing well vs legit competition. CN and Monty better come ready to play or there will not be a 5th game to ponder.

Agree 100% with LarryL, it's playoffs......step up and play whomever you are fortunate to have a game with, or go home. It's that simple.

As far as the Monty / Newman possible match-up, I'll say this, neither team should be thinking about that at this point, Tam is no easy gimme, and LL has been playing well vs legit competition.

I haven't seen Tam this year, but just looking at win/loss, they lost 6 of their final 7, including dropping one to a dismal TL team. That's the kind of team I usually don't pick to win in my March Madness bracket. There is probably a good explanation.

@DonniePeckerwood you see any possible upset city candidates? How was your Saturday?

I got a lot of upsets tonight, it's the playoffs! These teams are who we THOUGHT THEY WERE! We'll get into my Saturday night later.....

Amador Valley over Liberty
Clayton Valley Charter over College Park
Heritage over Dougherty Valley

Bethel over Santa Rosa
Alameda over San Lorenzo
Newark Memorial over Northgate
Las Lomas over Cardinal Newman
Tamalpais over Montgomery

#UPSETTCITYDOTCOM

I love this trend for 2019 ----- teams that got worked by a squad over and over and over again in the regular season bouncing back and taking their revenge when it matters the most!

-Donnie vengeance

Well so much for that Cardinal Newman vs. Montgomery talk, as neither team will make it to the second round. Both of them were the favorites too crazy

Seems like we might be headed to another O'Dowd vs Moreau NCS D2 finals which seems like something that has been happening every year going back to the Rabb/Paris vs. Frayer/Milstead teams

Well so much for that Cardinal Newman vs. Montgomery talk, as neither team will make it to the second round. Both of them were the favorites too crazy

Seems like we might be headed to another O'Dowd vs Moreau NCS D2 finals which seems like something that has been happening every year going back to the Rabb/Paris vs. Frayer/Milstead teams

I know they were bested by 31 and 26 points respectively in their first two meetings this year.... but watch out for the cougars on Friday night! #upsetcitydotcom

Marin County Athletic League is showing up in the postseason. 4-1 with only loss being a head to head of two conference teams....and Branson gets a bye. Keep rolling Marin boys! Represent the North Bay with pride.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT