ADVERTISEMENT

NCS TEAMS TO WATCH by Nate Smith

northbayfb

Sports Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
Intetesting mix here. 5 of the 10 teams are D3 and not one of them named Cardinal Newman. What does Nate know?

Newman lost a lot of key players. How their new QB and receiving corp mesh with their last seasons JV kids remains to be seen. Safe bet to leave them off (for now). Newman is looking at a 2-1 non-league and anywhere from 5-2 to 7-0 in league. With three potential losses there really no reason to talk about them just yet.

Not to talk about one of the premier programs in NorCal is pretty lame. Let's talk about Kennedy and Encinal though. Newman is going to be a lot better than people think.

You guys may have miss read his introductory paragraph ......

This week, Prep2Prep takes a look at 10 teams to watch in each section of our coverage area. Keep in mind, these are not what we consider to be the 10 best teams, or any sort of preseason ranking. Rather, they are teams who bear watching, teams which could contend for a league or section title, or may be poised for a breakthrough year. Teams are listed in alphabetical order.

I think it's good that school like JFK and Encinal get recognition. Huge props to those two head coaches who don't have the luxury of other publics, let alone private schools. What football does for kids in those areas if far more important to those that will likely end up at a four year school regardless of how successful they are on the field. JFK had a banner season last year and even sent a kid D1. Encinal has went for 0-10, 4-7, 9-3. That's growth and shows a program headed in the right direction. Looking forward to seeing both of these schools compete in the fall. Thanks Nate Smith for showing love to these, along with other up and coming programs!!

It isn't a ranking. There are teams on this list that Cardinal Newman should be ranked higher and also teams not on this list that should be ranked higher than Cardinal Newman. Cardinal Newman could very well be ranked in the top 10, but also they have a new QB. Based on last season it looks like they could be good. Seem inconsistent last season....played great against St Mary's but clobbered by Valley Christian They were far from an elite team last year. Good team and if they are better this year, they have a good shot at a bowl. Are they a top 10 NCS team, probably/maybe if the QB position is a reload and if the defense gets better (which would put them at higher ranking). The defense may have had trouble with speed based on the St Mary's and VC games. CN is definitely considered a norcal contender in D3.

VC will crush everybody in D3 again this year, much the same as last. That IF they stay in D3....... Let's hope their increased enrollment numbers bumps them into D2! I'm thinking that would be better for EVERYBODY including VC as they would face a bit stiffer competition in D2. No disrespect to any D3 team but the over all field in D2 is just a bit deeper

VC will crush everybody in D3 again this year, much the same as last. That IF they stay in D3....... Let's hope their increased enrollment numbers bumps them into D2! I'm thinking that would be better for EVERYBODY including VC as they would face a bit stiffer competition in D2. No disrespect to any D3 team but the over all field in D2 is just a bit deeper

VC hardly crushed DIII Palma last year in the playoffs. 14-10 win is hardly crushing a team and Palma had a shot in the game. VC offense will need to get on track this year. Again QB is a question mark but I do think they will be very good on defense and have speed at skill positions. Palma won't be close to the team they were last season but if VC isn't in the divivsion they will have a shot.

41-0 & 35-7 I think that's a crushing .......get on track ? I'm by no means a VC fan but QB will not be a question as long as Mr Tafralis is on campus......

Last edited:
Valley Christian should be in D1. Newman getting moved into that bowl game was a mistake. I don't think any of the NCS D3 teams will meet VC.

VC was stacked last year, and will be there this year. They obviously play in a tough league, their playoffs vary if not in the open. Newman had a good team last year, but not a great team. They were in the D4 playoffs which was down last year, then they suddenly had to play VC. They had not played a team of that level since pre-season. D3 NCS is looking very strong this year. Top teams are well coaches and teams like O'Dowd have as much or more talent than most teams around NCS. The winner will be very tested and should be ready to compete vs VC or others unless VC is far above last years team.

Valley Christian would have been a tough matchup for St Marys of Stockton, Folsom, Oak Ridge, Monte Vista, Pitt and virtually any top ranked school last year (DLS exception). They controlled the ball and line of scrimmage. Excellent program and well coached.

Yea VC in D2 is best for everybody. It allows them to compete against the other top CCS schools while freeing up D3 for the second tier CCS schools.

Reactions: GOTF
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT