ADVERTISEMENT

Newman vs Sutter

larry legend33

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Dec 4, 2007
Ok folks looking forward to some huge games next weekend. We've all exhausted the Folsom vs DLS thread.

One of the biggest non conference games in Norcal next week is 2 perennial small school powerhouses in D3 is Newman vs Sutter. Newman has won 33 games the last 3 seasons and Sutter has topped that with 34. This is a home game for Newman and a very long bus ride for the kids coming out of the gold country.

I don't know Sutter very well but I've always heard great things about there program. Please share what to expect....

For Newman this is a very good team that has returned from the NCS Champ loss to Marin Catholic in 2017. A few key players for Newman.

QB - Jackson Pavitt- 6"2 185 Jr. Looks to be another great QB to come out of Newman. Has all the tools to be a D1 player. Good size, athleticism, and strong arm. Threw for 4 TD's in first game. Going to open up a lot of eyes and could follow in Barrington footsteps as Pac12 QB.

LB- Dino Kahuelio - 6"1 230 LB. Quite frankly one of the best players in Norcal period. Go to a game and you will see. A rare 4 year starter. Absolute beast on the field. Will most likely end playing the the MTN West at next level.

WR/TE- Jake Woods 6"5 205 - Talk about under the radar. Apparently kid grew 3-4 inches last year and now is on a lot of colleges radar. Believe Boise State is looking hard. Absolute nightmare matchup.

WR- Chauncey Leberthon- 6"2 190- 3 year starter. Another matchup problem with size and athleticism. Basketball player as well who can get up and win you 50/50 balls.

I would expect this to be a very good game. Newman has spent time beefing up there defense so I think you will see more emphasis this year on that side of the ball.

Newman is 1-0 to start season and this is Sutters first game.

Lots of interesting match ups in Week 1. This one is near the top of my list.

Thanks for the breakdown of Newman.

So as with most programs Sutters numbers are down this season at the varsity and frosh levels and about the same at the JV level. But full in the Jr program. Sutter lost a lot to graduation on the offensive side of the ball but is very seasoned on Defense. Sutter took a huge hit this summer when one of their rising and talented sophomores transferred to highly ranked Bishop Gorman in Vegas and is now starting at strong safety for their varsity team. This young man played years in the Jr Huskies program and was a JV call up last year until breaking his collar bone. He is a very hard worker and I am not surprised by his success. Sutters schedule this year is daunting. The Sr and Jr classes were both 10-0 as JVs and the Srs were a huge part of last years run to the Regionals as Jrs. The loss of team contact summer camps were a huge part of Sutters success and like others are transitioning to this new norm in California. Obviously a huge test on Friday. Cardinal Newman appears to be loaded! This is a 2 year deal so Cardinal Newman will need to take the 3 hour trek to the Sutter Buttes next season.

Thanks for the update farmair3, I was actually about to ask about player numbers. A couple of weeks ago I was looking over the roster on Maxpreps and saw only 38 players listed, I thought maybe you guys just hadn't added all the players on there. Looks way down from the last two years, almost half not quite but almost. Do you guys have more players going both ways because of this? I know traditionally you guys have players either on defense or offense.

Both schools will have smallish roster sizes. Just the way things are going. If Newman stays healthy this year they will definitely be a tough out. But probably similar to Sutter in terms of depth. (not much of it). I would say Newman is the favorite being at home, having already played a game, and returning some really good skill guys but I expect it to be a good game and not decided until the 3rd. Good luck to both schools.

Cardinal Newman’s inside backers are absolute studs! Be watching them on Saturdays next year. Sutter will give it all they have.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
If Newman does win the game better send a representative in the post game locker room of Sutter so they dont do what they did in HMB last year.......

Your a Sutter fan aren’t you ? You don’t want me to post the details .......

Both schools will have smallish roster sizes. Just the way things are going. If Newman stays healthy this year they will definitely be a tough out. But probably similar to Sutter in terms of depth. (not much of it). I would say Newman is the favorite being at home, having already played a game, and returning some really good skill guys but I expect it to be a good game and not decided until the 3rd. Good luck to both schools.

CN only suited 29 players last week in Fortuna ( I actually counted the players 4 times as I couldn't believe how small in numbers they had). Their MAXPREPS roster says 36 but some of them were actually on the JV squad. I think their roster will be about 32/33 when everybody is in uniform as they had a couple of players not suited (for whatever reasons).

CN defense is pretty solid.....LB crew is top notch...and their 2 corners are D1 guys (albeit at WR...so I'm just assuming they are pretty good at CB also)

Right now as crazy as it sounds their offense is lagging behind....they have a bye this week, I will be interested to see what kind of step they take forward next game vs Summit Academy (Utah) before they get the big challenge vs Liberty.

For CN (with such a small roster) it will come down to how healthy they remain...

If a team can’t match the size and speed of both wideouts with corners of the same ilk then CN will be good. You can’t use safeties over the top because their slot receivers are good as well. Both inside backers play in the middle of the offensive line as well and attrition and health will be huge for them. They do have a very small roster. Only 26 dressed last night. No rushing TDS for Newman last night. If you stop their passing game, you win. Tall order. Wood catches everything in his zip code. Really enjoyed the crowd and the atmosphere but the field is atrocious. Our JV team had a player dislocate his hip on a gopher hole and the grass hadn’t been mowed for a while.

Not sure if you heard Farmair....but they had an incident at CN last year and The school and surrounding area needed much attention I’m not sure how high on the repair list the football field is. Give’em a break

How about one of the largest wild fires in state history. A good portion of the school was damaged/destroyed. This was the first game back at home since that awful tragedy. This school continues to win on and off the field. But it is the same field I played on back in the day and I believe a drive to raise money has already been underway for artificial grass. Hopefully next year they will have the funds for it.

As for the team this is going to be one of Newman's better defenses. Historically they have been a great offensive team and there D was good enough to win a lot of games. Now you have a legit D and and offense that needs a little work. You have 2 D1 WR in Leberthon and Woods. Both have so much size that they are going to win many 50/50 balls. QB Pavitt has a rocket arm with great size as well. Just needs to continue to get more reps and he will come into his own. Looks like the running game is lacking right now. Something Newman hasn't had a problem with.

Newman's biggest test will be against Liberty in mid Sept. Newman has always played bigger D1 schools tight so going against a team like that isn't going to be anything they haven't already faced before.

If they stay healthy look for them to make a deep post season run.

https://ysn365.com/highlights/video-sutter-vs-cardinal-newman-8-24-18/

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Not sure if you heard Farmair....but they had an incident at CN last year and The school and surrounding area needed much attention I’m not sure how high on the repair list the football field is. Give’em a break
How about one of the largest wild fires in state history. A good portion of the school was damaged/destroyed. This was the first game back at home since that awful tragedy.

Totally understandable that the field/stadium was much lower on the priority list given the fire situation. But for the safety of all players, should they be playing their home games elsewhere until they can ensure the field is a good condition? It was said that this was the 1st game played there since, but is the field truly ready for it?

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't there and haven't seen the field myself. But I can see where farmair is coming from if the field has been neglected (for good reason) and contains spots that are an injury risk.

Newman looks good! Their passing game looks tough to stop and the D looks to be solid. Sutter didn’t look bad in the highlights either.

Sutter is a small school powerhouse from SJS. Always has a great team. First game on the road for them. Tough venue. Circle the Liberty game. Going to be a doozy.

As for the field if you grew up in the 80's or 90's its nowhere near and bad as some of those pastures. Kids are just spoiled today playing on college/pro surfaces.

Reactions: GOTF
Just so you know and I should have clarified this even the Cardinal Newman coaches were appalled with their field.Dislocated hips should not be happening and mowing it has zero to do with the fires. Trust me when these fires happened last year Sutter coaches contacted Cardinal Newman and we had trailers waiting to go with whatever they may have needed.

How about one of the largest wild fires in state history. A good portion of the school was damaged/destroyed. This was the first game back at home since that awful tragedy. This school continues to win on and off the field. But it is the same field I played on back in the day and I believe a drive to raise money has already been underway for artificial grass. Hopefully next year they will have the funds for it.

As for the team this is going to be one of Newman's better defenses. Historically they have been a great offensive team and there D was good enough to win a lot of games. Now you have a legit D and and offense that needs a little work. You have 2 D1 WR in Leberthon and Woods. Both have so much size that they are going to win many 50/50 balls. QB Pavitt has a rocket arm with great size as well. Just needs to continue to get more reps and he will come into his own. Looks like the running game is lacking right now. Something Newman hasn't had a problem with.

Newman's biggest test will be against Liberty in mid Sept. Newman has always played bigger D1 schools tight so going against a team like that isn't going to be anything they haven't already faced before.

If they stay healthy look for them to make a deep post season run.

https://ysn365.com/highlights/video-sutter-vs-cardinal-newman-8-24-18/
Newman may have a tough time against Liberty thi year. Pretty physical horses on line and athletes and a QB that will make Newman have to cover the whole field..

Liberty is very good and this is a great "stretch" game for Newman. Butterfield is one of the best QB's in CA in the JR class. Cronin always has a tough opponent like Liberty. (St Mary's of Stockton in the past).

Just so you know and I should have clarified this even the Cardinal Newman coaches were appalled with their field.Dislocated hips should not be happening and mowing it has zero to do with the fires. Trust me when these fires happened last year Sutter coaches contacted Cardinal Newman and we had trailers waiting to go with whatever they may have needed.

Thanks for the further clarification.

Maybe a good idea though. From the years I have followed Sutter loved the program. And thought they would be a better fit in SJS. Just this man's opinion.

I mean why would they move to the SJS though? Especially now if they are starting to get lower player turnout which could ultimately effect the program. They have a unimpeded path typically through the Northern Section playoffs, and ultimately to a State play in game. If I was them I would stay in the North and continue to try and make runs to State while they have the opportunity.

Reactions: EN_FB_Alum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT