Woodcreek
Sheldon
St.Joes
Salesian
De la Salle
Mitty
Bellarmine
Capital Christian

Here's a bit more detail, though I'm certain those who come to this board can figure it out anyway...

#1 Woodcreek hosts #8 Capital Christian
#2 Sheldon hosts #7 Bellarmine (long-ass road trip for the Bells)
#3 St. Joe's hosts #6 Mitty ('nother long-ass road trip, not all that far on the map but on Friday afternoon freeways, trust me it's long-ass...)
#4 DLS hosts #5 Salesian in a rematch of last year's first-rounder

So, I live 8 minutes from DLS, my 3rd-fave team... but I'm driving right past Spartanville and heading over to see what the Pilots can do!

Wednesday will find me at Campo (really my 2nd-fave team) where they host a strange D3 doubleheader, the girls playing a NorCal opponent (Placer) and the boys playing what I would think is a SoCal opponent (Sanger, from the Central Section; who looks potentially tough, having lost close ones to the team that upset Sheldon, San Joaquin Memorial).

Last edited:
No surprises to me in the Open. ODOWD was not an open team this year. I would think Whitney gets the #1 seed though in D2.

There are no easy games. Predicting these is a nightmare. I mean Mitty gets St Joes' without Jade Smith... I like Mitty a lot. That is a real bummer for St Joes.
DlS vs Salesian round 2.... Total tossup. DLS def more battle tested as of recent but Salesian has more talent.
Bellarmine Vs Sheldon. All I know is the WCAL teams year in and out seem to be better than advertised.
Woodcreek vs CC is no lay down game either. Lots of talent on CC roster.

So is Jade´ Smith going to be playing the the first round of open division? He didn't play in their last game

Kiddman posted it was a 2 game suspension regarding J smith. I honestly don't know anything more but it sounds like he's not playing.

D2 is crazy! Have you looked at those match ups?

I mean St Francis #1 seed gets #16 Grant? Grant might be the best #16 team ever.
Newman sneaks in somehow and gets #2 Whitney on the road. This is actually not a bad match up for them. They couldn't have asked for anything better.
Tam gets to the NCS D2 champ game and gets a big fat slap in the face drawing Burbank. ouch.

This bracket is wacko.

Reactions: UncleYacht
Newman sneaks in somehow and gets #2 Whitney on the road. This is actually not a bad match up for them. They couldn't have asked for anything better.

Interesting comment..I don't know anything about Newman, other than the couple of threads I've seen on here, but with Whitney having just won their section I wouldn't think a team would consider them a good matchup...is it a style matchup that is good for them?

Kiddman posted it was a 2 game suspension regarding J smith. I honestly don't know anything more but it sounds like he's not playing.

I mean St Francis #1 seed gets #16 Grant? Grant might be the best #16 team ever.
Tam gets to the NCS D2 champ game and gets a big fat slap in the face drawing Burbank. ouch.

This bracket is wacko.

Surprised that St Francis is the #1 seed in D II but it appears that other than the #1 seed they did them no favors by putting Grant then Burbank in their path to the Regional Semi-finals to match up against Bishop O'Dowd. Top to bottom D II looks like the toughest NorCal bracket.

Triple header at Kezar on Wednesday -- Mission vs San Marin 5:30pm / University vs Menlo at 7pm / Stuart Hall vs HMB at 8:30pm. The Kezar Pub will be rockin........

Reactions: GOTF and jordan24

This bracket is wacko.
Glad to see CN got in! I hope they kept practicing. @larry legend33 appears to know both of these programs very well. If he is selling Whitney as a good match up for CN, then I'm buying! D2 Bracket appears to be very, very strong! 6 Teams from NCS to NorCals....YIKES!

Glad to see CN got in! I hope they kept practicing. @larry legend33 appears to know both of these programs very well. If he is selling Whitney as a good match up for CN, then I'm buying! D2 Bracket appears to be very, very strong! 6 Teams from NCS to NorCals....YIKES!
Can someone figure out how one section got 6 teams into one division nor cal bracket?? That's ridiculous

have central section teams always appeared in NorCal brackets, or do i just not know my sections?

At least for football the CIF was placing some CS teams in SoCal and down in NorCal to balance things out. CS is going to be moved to NorCal for all sports in a year or two.

can someone tell me how salesian who has been ranked ahead of dela
ALL season win there section and has to go play at dela? I think in
D1 we are looking at a rematch with dublin vs logan in the finals and that
could go either way on a neutral court. D2 is a real crapshoot we could see
all kinds of upsets in that bracket.

Reactions: RealisticParent
How did Granite Bay and Lowell get in over Los Gatos division 1?

Lowell got an auto-bid for making their section final.

I believe CCS only takes 4 from each division advancing to NorCal. With Bellarmine, Sequoia, and M-A being D1 and get to the auto-bid for making CCS open, the winner of the CCS D1 would get that final spot which ended up being Paly.

Yeah D2 looks really good from top to bottom. Some great games and I think we will see some upsets early on. Not sure who but the favorites certainly could go down earlier than in the past. I mean look at D2 NCS. You had a #4 playing a #6 in the title with Tam making a strong statement throughout.

Should be fun!

Reactions: UncleYacht
I don't know what the process was this year but I know in the history of norcals there has never been 7 teams from SJS division. 1. Woodcreek , Sheldon, West, St Mary's and qtr final losers Folsom, Granite Bay, and Modesto Christian. I also wonder how they leave out or choose these 3 over other qtr loser Sac High

Also see 6 teams from SJS D2 when no teams are in open

Last edited:
Can someone figure out how one section got 6 teams into one division nor cal bracket?? That's ridiculous

They must have really wanted to fill out the 16 team bracket and have no byes. My guess is after all the automatic berths were tallied, they brought in the next few teams they felt belonged and 2 were from NCS.

Also peculiar how Central Section D1 plays in Southern Section but other Divisions Half teams from Section are in north bracket and others are in South. In D3 champion Selma and both semi losers go to south and runner up Sanger goes to north SMH

Last edited:
They must have really wanted to fill out the 16 team bracket and have no byes. My guess is after all the automatic berths were tallied, they brought in the next few teams they felt belonged and 2 were from NCS.
Which they did not do last year. D2 north last year had 12 teams I think which makes for a whole different bracket. The more I look at these brackets the more confused I get. Teams in Fresno are playing in north brackets. 6/7 teams from one section in a single bracket.
They need to get more consistent on seeding and eligibility. It changes every year.
NCS is ridiculous. Moving teams up and down for "competitive equity." That helped no one this year. Every team that moved up D4-D2 won the bracket so those other teams still didn't win or really have a chance of winning. Each section should follow CCS model. Open section guarantee to nor cal and everyone else plays in their division designated by enrollment.
Last thing...if anyone remembers...when NCS decided to do this "competitive equity" bs...they advertised an open tournament when they made that decision. So why no NCS open tournament this year.

Yeah D2 looks really good from top to bottom. Some great games and I think we will see some upsets early on. Not sure who but the favorites certainly could go down earlier than in the past. I mean look at D2 NCS. You had a #4 playing a #6 in the title with Tam making a strong statement throughout.

Should be fun!

To be fair, NCS did a REALLY awful job of seeding D2 in NCS, and it probably should have been 1-seed BOD playing 2- or 3-seed Moreau in the final.

But you're right - there are lots of potential upsets (based on seedings) that I could see happening up and down that bracket, starting with Grant over a St. Francis that lost 5 of their last 8 games. I won't be shocked to see BOD come out of the top half of that bracket. In the bottom, a potential Whitney vs. Serra matchup gets really interesting, and I know Serra embarrassed Moreau a couple of years ago in the Open. I would be interested in seeing how a rematch would look.

The south side of that bracket looks just absolutely LOADED, including 4 teams who were in the Southern Section open.

does seem kind of crazy that you can go 1-1 in NCS with a win over a lower seed, and 'advance' to the NorCal championships (Antioch, San Leandro).

And get a higher seed then a team that won a sectional final san leandro #6 (palo alto#9)
that is hard to understand.

It looks like after all the Open teams were selected the D1 division is giving NCS teams the stronger ratings over CCS, SJS and Oakland section.

Is it for sure that Smith isn't playing? I remember reading Kiddman's post, but it just seems very odd that a league rule would apply in a non-league game and result in that league's best team not being able to have their best player in the state playoffs.

If the league's coaches could vote on it right now, I'm pretty sure they would all vote to let him play. He already sat out 1 playoff game. Wouldn't an NCS or CIF rule take precedence for a playoff game? Just seems harsh, especially if a Mitty (or any other team) player could get ejected from a game and not have to sit out 2 games.

CIF is obviously having more games for money. They get all gate proceeds and at $10 a head, that adds up to a lot of revenue. Bottom line is if you don't make the finals in your section you should not advance to NorCals...PERIOD. This would also require sections to do a better job of seeding so we don't have a game like MC and BOD in a semifinal, Tam showed well but clearly was at best, the 3rd best team in D2. But since its a money grab for CIF, we deal with it the way it is.

Grant advances to NorCals without having won a section game. The trend of adding teams to the playoffs isn't good at all

As CIF expands its playoffs, things look more and more like AYSO. Everyone plays. Everyone gets a trophy. Everyone dines at In N Out after the game and celebrates with a No.3 and a side of extra fries and a stent. Whoopee.

DLS getting a higher seed then Salesian is a joke.
Salesian is ranked higher in every online ranking poll I could find and yet they have to travel to Concord and play in the cracker jack box of a gym, instead of Albany or Contra Costa College. NCS, CIF & Max Preps continue to favor DLS, this is getting ridiculous.

can someone tell me how salesian who has been ranked ahead of dela
ALL season win there section and has to go play at dela? I think in
D1 we are looking at a rematch with dublin vs logan in the finals and that
could go either way on a neutral court. D2 is a real crapshoot we could see
all kinds of upsets in that bracket.

Bones, I've been scratching my head on this one since Sunday, what a joke. Everyone seems to be in love with this program and I sure hope Salesian can prove them wrong. Gil Lemon at NCS and whoever does the selection for CIF are definitely a few sandwiches short of a picnic and are completely lost. NCS needs some new blood in there, this B.S. has been going on for to long.

PREP DADDY you are completely correct they have been ranked ahead of dela
every week of the season including going into ncs section playoffs won
there ncs title also and yet they fall behind them when seedings come out is
a complete joke but I have a feeling it will only motivate a group of
kids that play with a chip on there shoulders anyway.

I've been saying for years there are too many teams that make the playoffs (section and state). Northern California does not have the same amount of quality teams as Southern California and having an open division isn't ideal for NorCal. I'd much rather see these 8 teams in their respective divisions and bump out and eliminate some undeserving teams.

What the hell happened to the 8-10 teams per Division 1-5??? They've added an another Division (Open) and expanded the lower divisions to 16 teams?! Ridiculous appeasement and money grab.

If Salesian is far and away better, the game location won't matter. The only reason you're all worked up is because you feel Salesian's season will end on Friday; That means you don't even believe Salesian is significantly better.
The committee had a difficult job and they did it well.

Let me be clear I have no dog in the fight and could care less whose season ends
On Friday but salesian schedule was equal if not better then dela and if they were
ahead all season in terms of being one of the top 4 teams in northern California
one would have to wonder what the he'll did they do wrong to end up being
seeded 5th out of 8 teams.

Yeah that was a head scratcher. 4 or 5 doesn't sound like much of a difference, but the home court advantage is huge in a tight game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT