ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Playoff Scores - Leap Day Edition

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Bishop O'Dowd and St. Ignatius get us started a little earlier at 5:00 PM

O’Dowd leads 9-4 midway through Q1. Dragons are causing issues with their ball pressure

O'Dowd leads 16-14 midway through Q2. SI plays really hard and has multiple ball handlers. O'Dowd struggles to score at times in the half court

Oakland Tech leads Vanden 22-3 end Q1.

Looking like another bad seeding for OT

McClatchy wins 73-67 in OT. Nina Cain was dominant on both ends. 22/16 4 steals and lock down defense on Harper Peterson. Norret Lewis had 9 points in OT and 20 in the game for McClatchy. Still have no idea how this team was a #16 seed. Next up Carondelet

McClatchy wins 73-67 in OT. Nina Cain was dominant on both ends. 22/16 4 steals and lock down defense on Harper Peterson. Norret Lewis had 9 points in OT and 20 in the game for McClatchy. Still have no idea how this team was a #16 seed. Next up Carondelet
Just watched the game on NFHS--what a nail-biter thriller in OT. The #16 seed McClatchy continues the journey to Carondelet. Nina Cain was herself. Norret Lewis came up big in OT--nobody could defend her, charging the lane and basket on nearly every possession. Both are only "juniors." What a great story for a so-called #16 seed, with every game to be played on the road.

So McClatchy was one seed away from being put in D2. Crazy.
You got to hand it to the CIF Selection Committee for their ignorance or bias. I read in CalHiSports that the CIF Selection Committee didn't consider McClatchy's three losses were when Nina Cain was out on concussion protocols. I find it hard to believe that someone would have informed them of that. So either the SJS representative to the CIF Committee has a vendetta against McClatchy, or the CIF totally relied on MaxPreps rankings, which doesn't factor in when key players are out and not playing.

Per CalHiSports, 2/28/2024:
"We can’t ever remember when there was a CIF regional matchup in which there was a No. 1 seed by the CIF taking on a No. 16 seed by the CIF but in actuality we had the No. 16 seed ranked higher. That happened Tuesday night when No. 16 seed McClatchy of Sacramento traveled to No. 1 seed Pinewood and beat the Panthers, 66-64. McClatchy’s low seed is due to the CIF not taking into account the games lost by the Lions when they didn’t have Cal-bound junior Nina Cain due to concussion protocols."

Reactions: TheHillZ
They have one minute per seed/team, roughly. And half the committee is from SoCal, and the of the NorCal group, probably a third follow the girls' game closely.

Any thoughts among you gurus on the Nina Cain-Harper Peterson matchup last night? I missed it but plan to watch the replay on NFHS.

You got to hand it to the CIF Selection Committee for their ignorance or bias. I read in CalHiSports that the CIF Selection Committee didn't consider McClatchy's three losses were when Nina Cain was out on concussion protocols. I find it hard to believe that someone would have informed them of that. So either the SJS representative to the CIF Committee has a vendetta against McClatchy, or the CIF totally relied on MaxPreps rankings, which doesn't factor in when key players are out and not playing.

Per CalHiSports, 2/28/2024:
"We can’t ever remember when there was a CIF regional matchup in which there was a No. 1 seed by the CIF taking on a No. 16 seed by the CIF but in actuality we had the No. 16 seed ranked higher. That happened Tuesday night when No. 16 seed McClatchy of Sacramento traveled to No. 1 seed Pinewood and beat the Panthers, 66-64. McClatchy’s low seed is due to the CIF not taking into account the games lost by the Lions when they didn’t have Cal-bound junior Nina Cain due to concussion protocols."
Nina is not committed to CAL...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT