ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal public top ten

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Using CIF seeding criteria (unscientific though they may be), published rankings, recent results, regular-season results and, as often as possible, the eyeball test, here is a subjective NorCal public school top ten as of March 11:

1. Folsom
2. Miramonte
3. West Campus
4. Clovis
5. San Ramon Valley
6. Heritage
7. Pleasant Valley
8. Castro Valley
9. Bear Creek
10. Eureka

Notes: Folsom, as the only Open Division public selection, can't be penalized for being in an arrangement totally dominated by private/parochials. For Miramonte to capture the Division I NorCal title, it will have to get through two WCAL schools, an interesting challenge. Neither of those units is Mitty, of course, but each is far from mediocre for sure. We can argue about whether Clovis is really a NorCal school but, hey, this year it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekingera
PV has won 20 of last 21 games and has wins over Dublin and Folsom. Rest of this list is solid.

When was the last time a Northern Section girls' basketball team won a CIF state title? I do recall a great Red Bluff outfit decades ago.

Update: Modoc won a Division V title in 1998. That was the last Northern Section team to capture a CIF state crown. In all, that section has a total of seven state championships. Six came between 1983 and 1989 (Red Bluff's came in 1987 in Division II). So the section has one title in just under 30 seasons. Hence the perhaps unfair skepticism surrounding any entry from the section.

Last edited:
Using CIF seeding criteria (unscientific though they may be), published rankings, recent results, regular-season results and, as often as possible, the eyeball test, here is a subjective NorCal public school top ten as of March 11:

1. Folsom
2. Miramonte
3. West Campus
4. Clovis
5. San Ramon Valley
6. Heritage
7. Pleasant Valley
8. Castro Valley
9. Bear Creek
10. Eureka

Good list. I’d have Heritage above SRV.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Any of these teams would have won 20/21 playing in their league.
Just incase you need help with math there is only 10 league games so that leaves a lot more wins against other teams. Pv won state championship in 85-86 and that is it. Over the years the north state gets no respect so they have never been seeded high. Which is fine. But I know PV has played Mitty the first game at least three times and Mitty goes on to win state. I guess as D-2 used to go, over many years everybody has pretty much sucked because Mitty seems to kick everybody butts. LOL . These forums are so funny. Before the the brackets were out most were saying PV had to be D-1. Now they are over ranked. PV is a good d-3 team, was placed in d-2 and with this new system actually has a chance, and has won two close games. Were they against open teams of course not, but that does not mean they are over ranked. They have a chance to win another tough battle Tuesday. Good for them. Why complain about seedings and system? What done is done just play the games!!

Just incase you need help with math there is only 10 league games so that leaves a lot more wins against other teams. Pv won state championship in 85-86 and that is it. Over the years the north state gets no respect so they have never been seeded high. Which is fine. But I know PV has played Mitty the first game at least three times and Mitty goes on to win state. I guess as D-2 used to go, over many years everybody has pretty much sucked because Mitty seems to kick everybody butts. LOL . These forums are so funny. Before the the brackets were out most were saying PV had to be D-1. Now they are over ranked. PV is a good d-3 team, was placed in d-2 and with this new system actually has a chance, and has won two close games. Were they against open teams of course not, but that does not mean they are over ranked. They have a chance to win another tough battle Tuesday. Good for them. Why complain about seedings and system? What done is done just play the games!!
Should be a good one I think Valley Christian will be toughest battle for them

What’s awesome is the rankings for many of these will be settled on the court in the next week. Good luck to everyone.

Agreed. To be frank, it would be refreshing to see a Northern team win a state title, in any division, after several decades of being shut out.

Im not too sure about this. Bear Creek POUNDED SRV, Clovis is in Fresno (southern). Heritage beat McClatchy, Edison beat McClatchy, and Cosumnes Oaks beat Castro Valley.

And Antelope lost to Castro Valley. CV went 1-1 with Cal. Cal went 1-1 vs. Dublin. SRV beat Cal 2 out of 3 and beat Dublin, but SRV lost to CV. Dublin beat Foothill and Foothill beat Antelope. So, where does that land the discussion about Antelope? I guess Dublin is the best team and they get the State Crown. No wait, or does CV get the crown? No, wait, does SRV get the title?

I think the Col. baited us with a topic that cannot be solved.

Reactions: jstblev
Agreed...we did have a great game vs Castro Valley on their home court.

And Antelope lost to Castro Valley. CV went 1-1 with Cal. Cal went 1-1 vs. Dublin. SRV beat Cal 2 out of 3 and beat Dublin, but SRV lost to CV. Dublin beat Foothill and Foothill beat Antelope. So, where does that land the discussion about Antelope? I guess Dublin is the best team and they get the State Crown. No wait, or does CV get the crown? No, wait, does SRV get the title?

I think the Col. baited us with a topic that cannot be solved.

Thank you.

Oh, and one more thing: Try to pack those 16-team Open brackets with a pricey passel of prime private/parochials. In effect, that would be one more modest mechanism to separate the publics from you-know-who while not actually announcing it as such.

Oh, and one more thing: Try to pack those 16-team Open brackets with a pricey passel of prime private/parochials. In effect, that would be one more modest mechanism to separate the publics from you-know-who while not actually announcing it as such.

Exactly ... which is the goal of competitive equity. Now if we can just get NCS and SJS to add Open divisions, it will all start to make more sense.

Reactions: Coach Cardinal
sorry. MM and the Acalanes Union High School District (4 high schools, 5,000+ students) of which it is part.

Last edited:
Pleasant Valley won the D3 state title in 1985

Your point? The Northern Section has won a total of seven CIF state titles since the tourney was resurrected in the early 1980s. The last Northern crown came 20 years ago. That's almost a full generation. It's a prime reason its teams get little respect. But, perhaps, PV can buck history and bring home the sections eighth championship.

Agreed...we did have a great game vs Castro Valley on their home court.

I like how you threw in"..on their home court"! None of the other games listed home court advantage/disadvantage but you had to throw it in there. Just take the loss like a man and roll...you guys had a great season.

Reactions: jstblev
I like how you threw in"..on their home court"! None of the other games listed home court advantage/disadvantage but you had to throw it in there. Just take the loss like a man and roll...you guys had a great season.

We did have a great season to remember for these young girls...

Exactly ... which is the goal of competitive equity. Now if we can just get NCS and SJS to add Open divisions, it will all start to make more sense.

Agree to disagree here. Competitive equity to me looks like this...... #1 seeds not being allowed to play norcal semi final games on their home court and getting blown out by 20 by #4 seeds. That's equality in my eyes! We gotta give the "little guys" a fair fight! Upset City Dot Com.

Miramonte just played a No. 1 seed on its home court in the semis, and I believe that happened in almost every bracket, boys and girls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT