ADVERTISEMENT

North Bay League for 2017

Bluedog2

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2007
The NB league has eight teams this year, giving them two preseason games, next year we may see a revised league....Just now, it looks like this...
Carrillo
Montgomery
Ukiah
Rancho Cotate
Windsor
Cardinal Newman
Casa grande
Santa Rosa
How does it look for 2017 season.CN is favored, but must be prepared for the final game against Rancho Cotate.....Challenges will be coming from Windsor and RC, sleepers are Montgomery, Ukiah and Santa Rosa...

I would put Cardinal Newman and Rancho Cotate as co-favorites.

CN loses star QB and WR from last year but might be a more complete team. Will find out more in week 2 matchup vs St Mary's(Stockton) OL/DL/LB Dino Kahaulelio, WR Chauncey LeBerthon, S Jason Moran, QB Beau Barrington, RB Tanner Mendoza highlight the group.

RC returns QB Jake Simmons, LB Elias Rantissi, WR Jaelen Ward, WR Logan Reese among others. They have a strong combination of speed and size. RC arguably gave O'Dowd its hardest game of the year in NCS semi losing 37-34

Windsor has new coach. The previous OC from Santa Rosa JC and will be tough. Their success is depending on new QB development. With Casey Horton looking the strongest. FS/SB. Jorgen Sarganis is a playmaker on both sides of the ball. Lost to D2 Campolindo in Finals.

Ukiah is strong with new coach last year. Took out Livermore in D2 quarterfinal losing to D2 champ Campolindo in semi. They need to replace quality QB and speed guy from last year but expect them to be tough.

Casa Grande has new coach from Santa Rosa. Quality coach. Keep an eye on RB/LB Kenneth Fitzgerald 6-1" 237 lbs. Questions are supporting cast as they lose a lot from last year.

Santa Rosa has questions all around as they lost several star players at the QB, WR and RB. To make matters worse their JV QB transferred to Windsor. They outperformed expectations last year beating Northgate in first round of D2 and losing by 1 point to Windsor in quarterfinals

Maria Carrillo is the sleeping giant of the league. Always one of the largest rosters in the league. They have good size, and this year will feature 6-2 214 lb Tyler Van Arden at RB.

Montgomery sports a new coaching staff that should see this historically strong program on an uptrend. Too many unanswered questions such as who will be their QB but WR Auston Rapolla is dangerous.

FYI. 8 teams means 7 league games. So it's still 3 non conference games.

northbayfb, Thank you. I wud not mind seeing RC & Windsor Schedule Vacaville (they may be done with the Series with Yuba City and Liberty). Always liked the Redwood Empire Teams too. I thought Carillo was coming around...they were doing well a few years ago (old league?). I miss Montgomery too being up there...lately hopefully things may turn around for them. Casa Grande...i wuz hoping that the series with Napa wud continue on but....Thanks for the info

northbayfb, Thank you. I wud not mind seeing RC & Windsor Schedule Vacaville (they may be done with the Series with Yuba City and Liberty). Always liked the Redwood Empire Teams too. I thought Carillo was coming around...they were doing well a few years ago (old league?). I miss Montgomery too being up there...lately hopefully things may turn around for them. Casa Grande...i wuz hoping that the series with Napa wud continue on but....Thanks for the info
Northbayfb.......Did one great job giving us a eyes view of the North Bay league...

Reactions: ncscalfootball
Carrillo really needs a change, their football program has underachieved forever. Great athletes in Rincon Valley and they draw from other parts as well due to their academics but they just have not produced very good football teams?

Reactions: ncscalfootball
Solid league this year. Newman and Rancho will be tough by any measures and should have post season runs again. Looking forward to see the baseball kid play QB. Heard he can spin it well for Newman. Can't wait for the season. Can't figure out MC either. No reason why they aren't better in sports.

Looks like it will be an interesting year to watch. Windsor maybe the dark horse, Montgomery will upset a couple of teams they should not this year. Newman will have a good test vs St. Mary's who is reloading but is always very talented, they should walk through their other non-conference games. Rancho Cotati will do the same but has a nice test in Campolindo. Not a stacked pre-season, but a very solid challenge for each team. All other teams look questionable at this point.

Looks like it will be an interesting year to watch. Windsor maybe the dark horse, Montgomery will upset a couple of teams they should not this year. Newman will have a good test vs St. Mary's who is reloading but is always very talented, they should walk through their other non-conference games. Rancho Cotati will do the same but has a nice test in Campolindo. Not a stacked pre-season, but a very solid challenge for each team. All other teams look questionable at this point.
Windsor will definitely be one of the top teams. They have a brutal first two weeks of the season with @Freedom and home game w/Del Oro. If they get through that successfully it will be a great foundation for league play.

D3 NCS is loaded! Whoever comes out of that should be getting a bowl birth. I have a feeling Newman isn't going to be that down. If Cronin is comparing Barrington to Pond and Wright (college players) they have something special. They actually should be more unpredictable because the ball will be distributed more. Can't wait for a great season. Rancho, Newman, and Windsor make for a very strong NBL.

Windsor will definitely be one of the top teams. They have a brutal first two weeks of the season with @Freedom and home game w/Del Oro. If they get through that successfully it will be a great foundation for league play.
Wow, Windsor really challenged themselves in the pre-season.

Carrillo is neither a sleeping giant nor has their program come around. The best thing that can be said about them since they opened in 1996 is their 8-5 season in 2005 when they lost to Newman in the section championship 21-0.

All that talent from that area has gone to waste under an offense that fails to win games. Once down by 14 points, Carrillo is done and they often get down by more than that. A real shame Carrillo's admin hasn't wanted to "take their program in another direction".

I agree with you guys on MC. They are mediocre at best. A ton of talent has gone through that school and they have done nothing. D1 players like Natherda to name one

There are a few other schools that are in the same boat in my opinion.

How does Novato go from being a state bowl team to barely competing with lowest teams in the MCAL. Terrible.

Casa Grande Every year has big time ballers and can't make it out of a paper bag when playing good teams.

Ukiah up until last year has been similar. One school town and has a subpar program.

Montgomery, every since Franci left (minus Haskins year) has been in the dumps.

Every year in the empire it's a three team battle with Analy, Newman and Rancho. Windsor makes a run every so often.

Reactions: bella123
I agree with you guys on MC. They are mediocre at best. A ton of talent has gone through that school and they have done nothing. D1 players like Natherda to name one

There are a few other schools that are in the same boat in my opinion.

How does Novato go from being a state bowl team to barely competing with lowest teams in the MCAL. Terrible.

Casa Grande Every year has big time ballers and can't make it out of a paper bag when playing good teams.

Ukiah up until last year has been similar. One school town and has a subpar program.

Montgomery, every since Franci left (minus Haskins year) has been in the dumps.

Every year in the empire it's a three team battle with Analy, Newman and Rancho. Windsor makes a run every so often.

Solid and accurate post.

Carrillo (I never refer to them as MC, there's one MC in the northbay and it's off Drake Bl lol) has squandered more talent and been so unimaginative on offense it's a shame.

Novato? Well they had a great coach in Bracket. Parents ran him off. Careful what you wish for.

Casa. Never should have left the SCL. Has always been the most talented or near there since they opened. A team that occasionally got to the next level, but could never win the big one. Casa is a baseball school (Mayo is a great guy and coach).

Ukiah? I really don't know. Once was a dominant pop warner feeder program. They've had so much turmoil the past decade and some weird sh!t regarding the coaching carsosel, heated divided loyalties. Really surprised NCP or someone never dug a bit and did a story on the mess up there, interesting stuff.

Monty? Franci was a legend, but its no secret he was dealing with some issues and held on to long while at the same time Monty was not planning ahead. On paper their staff is awesome, don't know about this year, but 2-3 years down the road they could be back to being a legit contender (some great Monty vs. CN and RC games in the past).

Would agree 100 percent with Bella.

Sorry you are correct MC is the one and only. We will refer to the other place as Carrillo. Lol. They need to ditch the double wing. Not a bad offense but you are right when you're down it's hard to catch up.

I can't wait for the season to start. There was a Ton of turnover this last season and I think next season won't have many but there will again be some.

Most excited about Ponce. Give him a couple years. Guy is an awesome coach.

Reactions: bella123
Not that it matters, but Carillos new turf install was supposed to start right after school started in June. Nothing has been done to the field. Just learned it won't start til August, which is more likely September? So that will be no home games and practice fields will be tight (but at least girls soccer is now winter so won't have to share with the futbol broads).

Reactions: NorCalSportsMom
I hope it plays out that way but Newman IMO is the team to beat until proven otherwise. Hopefully Rancho is focused on defense. Historically they usually put points on the board but it's all about keeping the opponent from scoring more.
Looking at Rancho's schedule from last year, they lost to in their big games vs significant teams. They had some near wins vs good teams, but I would have to favor Cardinal Newman to start the season for the league title.

Reactions: slick58
Agree but I never sleep on the "ranch" This program was a few points away from some epic wins last year and Simmons is returning. Another kid who will play in college and is probably the best offensive player in a loaded D3 field. As a high school kid I like him better than MC QB.

Agree but I never sleep on the "ranch" This program was a few points away from some epic wins last year and Simmons is returning. Another kid who will play in college and is probably the best offensive player in a loaded D3 field. As a high school kid I like him better than MC QB.
Sounds like an exciting year of football for 2017.

Rancho Cotate 62 St Mary's (Albany) 0
Petaluma 55 Montgomery 42
Analy 42 Maria Carrillo 14
Cardinal Newman 41 Fortuna 18
Berkeley 20 Santa Rosa 6

Last edited:
Rancho zooed the game vs BOD up completely last year.
Had BOD beat and somehow found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
RC returns everybody from a VERY good team and IMO is a slight favorite over CN.
The fact that the CN/RC game is at CN on grass makes the game a coin flip as I cant remember the last time RC beat CN at CN.

My money's on Rancho this year, or would be if I had any.

Question for Northbay Football folks:

I see that both Jordan Brookshire and Kaylor Sullivan are on the SRJC roster as QB. Anybody know which kid has the edge on the starting job? Sounds like an interesting competition. I never saw Sullivan play but he racked up a lot of yards.

My money's on Rancho this year, or would be if I had any.

Question for Northbay Football folks:

I see that both Jordan Brookshire and Kaylor Sullivan are on the SRJC roster as QB. Anybody know which kid has the edge on the starting job? Sounds like an interesting competition. I never saw Sullivan play but he racked up a lot of yards.

Have no clue on the SRJC QB battle but Sullivan is nice. He has some tape online. I just watched his highlights vs Marin Catholic. There was pressure on every play and he was able to move the ball.

Have no clue on the SRJC QB battle but Sullivan is nice. He has some tape online. I just watched his highlights vs Marin Catholic. There was pressure on every play and he was able to move the ball.

I was at the game. Good arm and size. He had no help or supporting cast that game (minus Triplett who wasn't much of an impact) but good potential.

Yeah he's a big strong kid. Doesn't have the versatility and athleticism that brookshire has but in terms of passing he throws a very nice ball. I'm not surprised its a good race.

I've heard Sullivan is going to be the game 1 starter but we'll see forsure Saturday

It has. Baseball program has been known to greyshirt players, esp. pitchers long on potential but short on skills.

RE Carrillo FB - Higgins has been there pretty much forever. Yes, the team routinely underperforms. Yes, everybody in the North Bay knows what plays the offence is going to run before the Carrillo players even know. But Higgins is highly regarded as a man and as a member of the Carrillo faculty and the culture at the school is that athletic success is secondary to academics. BTW Carrillo prides itself in being the school with the most AP focus in its district. They don't want to be a school that bows to parental pressure (the one time they did it ruined a good program) or places its primary focus on winning. Like it or not that's who they are. Fortunately some programs (baseball, softball, volleyball, women's soccer, cross-country) have done very well with this approach, though obviously some have done poorly, esp football and basketball. It's tough to watch some of those programs struggle, and it's very tough to see good players in those sports head to other schools, but I do respect the school's stance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT