Oakland High is No Fluke

Coach DUBB

Superstar
Mar 20, 2012
To follow up huge win over Bishop O'Dowd:

Oakland High 74 campolindo 23

Shoutout Orlando gray
Way to get it done coach!

Oakland High been good, just not getting the credit they deserve. You beat O'Dowd and Campo, you deserve something. People forget Coach Gray got two-State Titles under his belt from Oakland Tech.

Last edited:
SI 73 Campolindo 24

Campolindo must have injuries. back to back 50 point losses.

Well they lost their best player(s), and I believe they have a new coach this year, so a big drop was to be expected. Just not this big of a drop.

After losing Coach Thoms, and 2 D1 players with daughter Ashley, and Haley Van Dyke, I think most people expected this drop. Ashley and Haley did everything last year for this team (ball handling, shooting, rebounding, play-making). Don't want to start anything, but they also are losing out on any top new talent to Miramonte.

After losing Coach Thoms, and 2 D1 players with daughter Ashley, and Haley Van Dyke, I think most people expected this drop. Ashley and Haley did everything last year for this team (ball handling, shooting, rebounding, play-making). Don't want to start anything, but they also are losing out on any top new talent to Miramonte.
50 point drop off, that’s not a drop off that’s a cliff

Over the years, it's sad to see how the program has hollowed out. The JV program has been weak for the past several seasons, and it's going to take some time to rebuild.

Sadly, those of us in the area could see this huge dropoff coming -- and I feel bad for the new coach, Matt Kirby, who has to deal with a schedule much more suited to the team that was there but isn't any more.

With the 2018-19 non-league schedules pretty much done, how has Oakland fared? Have not heard much on this subject lately. This team was touted weeks ago.

With the 2018-19 non-league schedules pretty much done, how has Oakland fared? Have not heard much on this subject lately. This team was touted weeks ago.

Maybe because they haven't really played anyone since then. 8-3 now with some good comp coming up with games against McClatchy, Berkeley, and San Leandro.

Reactions: Openlooks
Hmmmmmm. An 8-3 mark does not sound especially dominant unless the three losses are vs. very strong units.

Maybe because they haven't really played anyone since then. 8-3 now with some good comp coming up with games against McClatchy, Berkeley, and San Leandro.

Speaking of Berkeley, I noticed they were playing in the 2nd lowest division (Turquoise) in the WCJ this week. I know the divisions aren’t strictly listed by strength, but suffice to say they weren’t in one of the top 3 brackets where they used to be a fixture.

http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/...inter-18-19/west-coast-jamboree-turquoise.htm

The divisions were listed alphabetically ... I leave it up to you to figure out the order by strength.

The divisions were listed alphabetically ... I leave it up to you to figure out the order by strength.

What was the score for Redwood vs. Aragon? Or was that last-place game even played at all?

Last edited:

Clay, the top 3 divisions were listed at the top in order of strength, above all the lower divisions that were done alphabetically. They were not in one of the top 3 divisions, where they used to belong.

You are correct ... the three Elite divisions were listed first. We were just happy to have Berkeley back in the WCJ after a couple years away, and as Michael Woolridge gets that program back on track, I would expect them to be in one of the Elite brackets sooner rather than later.

For the record, that Lakeside team was much better than the bracket it wound up in. They have a pair of top recruits who put on a show last week in Castro Valley. College scouts attended to take another look at them. Put Lakeside in Northern California and they would make a lot of noise up here. In SoCal, the competition is a bit more fierce.

I definitely had Lakeside too low -- and I wish that was the only mistake I made.

american leadership was in the wrong bracket as well...22-0 in arizona isnt the same in California.

I definitely had Lakeside too low -- and I wish that was the only mistake I made.

Not to worry. The sheer size of the WCJ means a few blatant bracket boners will be produced. But did love Lakeside. In their semifinal ballgame last week, they whipped in eight treys in the opening frame. Eight. One per minute And they seemed effortless. Green went for 38 in that affair. Whew.

Hmmmmmm. An 8-3 mark does not sound especially dominant unless the three losses are vs. very strong units.

Who knows.... A lot of teams early are up and down. We will find out soon enough. Berkeley is 12-1 so I guess by record they will be a formidable opponent. Although they haven't played anybody either and will have SI coming up to test them this week.

american leadership was in the wrong bracket as well...22-0 in arizona isnt the same in California.

That was by the coach's request. I think they wanted to find out how they would measure up ...

If people spend a lot of money to come to the Jamboree, and have a specific request, I'm almost always going to do what I can to make them happy. Hopefully they come back again and we can get them in the right bracket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT