ADVERTISEMENT

Open Candidates?

FLAGRANT

Sports Fanatic
Oct 29, 2014
Who do you expect to see in the open? Obviously it’s extremely early. But why not?

LOCKS: Sheldon, Riordan, De La Salle

LIKELY: Salesian, Bishop O'Dowd, Modesto Christian

SLEEPERS: Capital Christian, Vanden, Bellarmine, Branson, Dublin, Dougherty Valley, Clovis West

campo doesnt have the size

Per Kiddman, Matt Radell and Emanuel Callas got first-team honors at the Montgomery tourney. Those guys aren’t small. People slept on them last season, then they won state. Campo would be a handful for anyone in NorCal.

Mitty into the likely section....have no idea how I forgot them.

Weston Ranch could use a signature win, which they have yet to get this season.

Campo would be on my sleeper line

Reactions: observer22
Per Kiddman, Matt Radell and Emanuel Callas got first-team honors at the Montgomery tourney. Those guys aren’t small. People slept on them last season, then they won state. Campo would be a handful for anyone in NorCal.
i dont think they want any parts of open.... why would you when your chances are far better playing down.

We'll know a whole lot more before New Year's... MANY of these teams will face at least some of the others on the above lists... The top NorCal teams are seeing a lot more of each other this season than in any recent past year that I can remember...

IMHO, Sheldon's the only real lock at the moment... The rest of these are not in any order, just thoughts on what I've seen/heard thus far.

Mitty is loaded and just might have the best PG in NorCal in Mike Mitchell.

Riordan has a ton of talent, but bigs are pretty raw and will need to improve... Overall, they're not playing "team ball" *yet*, relying on individual play. Huge potential, tho... Might just be totally beastly by the time March comes around.

Campo isn't exactly huge, but they aren't the Munchkins people seem to make them out to be... They play great team ball and overcome size disadvantages quite well. Put them in the same boat with Dougherty Valley... Maybe even Dublin... Three rather similar teams, actually...

Weston Ranch is another who is trying too hard to "out-athlete" opponents. Overplaying everything got them smacked around by Dublin and their back-cuts. It'll be interesting to find out if they've begun to figure things out in time for tomorrow's Riordan game. Hoping that one's gonna get streamed....

I haven't seen DLS yet, despite living 8 minutes from the school. That'll get remedied tomorrow. Wish they were playing a tougher opponent...

Anyway, since I'm going to Gridley, I'll have seen a BUNCH of these teams by the end of the week, many more than once.

We'll know a whole lot more before New Year's... MANY of these teams will face at least some of the others on the above lists... The top NorCal teams are seeing a lot more of each other this season than in any recent past year that I can remember...

IMHO, Sheldon's the only real lock at the moment... The rest of these are not in any order, just thoughts on what I've seen/heard thus far.

Riordan has a ton of talent, but bigs are pretty raw and will need to improve... Overall, they're not playing "team ball" *yet*, relying on individual play. Huge potential, tho... Might just be totally beastly by the time March comes around.

Campo isn't exactly huge, but they aren't the Munchkins people seem to make them out to be... They play great team ball and overcome size disadvantages quite well. Put them in the same boat with Dougherty Valley... Maybe even Dublin... Three rather similar teams, actually...

Weston Ranch is another who is trying too hard to "out-athlete" opponents. Overplaying everything got them smacked around by Dublin and their back-cuts. It'll be interesting to find out if they've begun to figure things out in time for tomorrow's Riordan game. Hoping that one's gonna get streamed....

I haven't seen DLS yet, despite living 8 minutes from the school. That'll get remedied tomorrow. Wish they were playing a tougher opponent...

Anyway, since I'm going to Gridley, I'll have seen a BUNCH of these teams by the end of the week, many more than once.
Let’s not forget Weston played Dublin without there best player

Weston Ranch vs Riordan is a solid matchup. Agreed Campo plays bigger than they are physically. Their bigs are very skilled.
But you may be waiting a while to watch DLS play a tough opponent. After looking at their schedule online, Aside from maxpreps tourney (not sure what division), their preseason doesn’t really scream “challenge”

Weston Ranch vs Riordan is a solid matchup. Agreed Campo plays bigger than they are physically. Their bigs are very skilled.
But you may be waiting a while to watch DLS play a tough opponent. After looking at their schedule online, Aside from maxpreps tourney (not sure what division), their preseason doesn’t really scream “challenge”

Agree re: the DLS schedule... While I can understand the EBAL is so tough that DLS would want some “dress rehearsals”, seems they could add a toughie in there somewhere... I wonder if the light early slate is due to football? I have no idea if any of their hoopers play that other game... Shared players or not, though, it might just be a sort of DLS tradition to start off easy... ish.

Last edited:
At what point did he get ejected. And all I’m saying is I’ve seen every team and Weston ranch is in the convo with best team in Norcal . Yes they have issues but they are dangerouus

Reactions: coachlittle
I agree with heat. I just think Weston Ranch got caught up a bit in the hype with all rheir guys returning and got cute. They are strictly blue collar dudes and need to stay that way. Campo is good, but they cant defend any one of the top teams mentioned, unless they play zone. Sheldon will win State!!! They have men, 17-18 year old Sr's who look, act, and play like it. Like I said before the only team I would take against them is Etiwanda. They are De la salle with Athletes. They can easily keep a game in the 40's.

At what point did he get ejected. And all I’m saying is I’ve seen every team and Weston ranch is in the convo with best team in Norcal . Yes they have issues but they are dangerouus
I have a little bit of a tough time excusing a team whose “best player” (I think the PG is actually their best player) is ejected from a basketball game. Pretty certain the 2nd T was late 4th

LOCKS: Sheldon, Riordan, De La Salle

LIKELY: Salesian, Bishop O'Dowd, Modesto Christian

SLEEPERS: Capital Christian, Vanden, Bellarmine, Branson, Dublin, Dougherty Valley, Clovis West

Riordan struggling at home against a undersized SRV team that will likely finish 4th or 5th in league isn’t good. I don’t see them making a deep playoff run.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Riordan struggling at home against a undersized SRV team that will likely finish 4th or 5th in league isn’t good. I don’t see them making a deep playoff run.

Gridley will be a huge test for Riordan. I still think they’re a lock because they have size.

Yes, the 2nd T on Wilburn was quite late, possibly as late as 2 minutes left... I should remember, it happened right in front of me... I do remember being surprised there was a T on the play.

I agree with heat. I just think Weston Ranch got caught up a bit in the hype with all rheir guys returning and got cute. They are strictly blue collar dudes and need to stay that way. Campo is good, but they cant defend any one of the top teams mentioned, unless they play zone. Sheldon will win State!!! They have men, 17-18 year old Sr's who look, act, and play like it. Like I said before the only team I would take against them is Etiwanda. They are De la salle with Athletes. They can easily keep a game in the 40's.

I have a little bit of a tough time excusing a team whose “best player” (I think the PG is actually their best player) is ejected from a basketball game. Pretty certain the 2nd T was late 4th

I agree you cant excuse WR starting 0-2 with four returning starters from last years team that finished 31-2 OPEN ??? WR lost their first game last year to Mitty went on to win 31 in a row... their not considered sleepers anymore teams will be ready. looking at their schedule its very competitive nothing easy in the preseason ? I expect WR will play better!!! Your wrong about the PG being their best player my opinion Wilburn is DEFINITELY their best all around ball player hes the clue guy.........!
next two games Riordan - Campo NO EXCUSES

that was my thoughts. it will be hard for them to defend those teams in the open.

Again my point was Weston Ranch was not mentioned in the original thread and like luvthegame 21 mentioned they returned 4 starters and added a solid big stud so let’s see come March

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT