ADVERTISEMENT

Open Division

mkbgdns

Hall of Famer
Jul 4, 2001
thought I'd start a thread w narrower focus--there are six other divisions after all. I'll start w selection, although that's done, and its probably best to move on…

SMB was a surprise. I admit to an agenda here…I had a fantasy of BOD, SMB, and Berkeley all playing at Haas (local girls rule!) which while it was always unlikely, is less likely now.

Don't know MC, they were off my radar. which says more about my radar...

I was hoping ESCP would be honored as a pick. As a Miramonte supporter, I've come to accept an Open pick as an honor, not a punishment. Any team that can do what they've done with six deserves reward. I always like watching brilliant coaches at work. They do have a better chance of being at Haas now.

Finally, don't be fooled by either seeding or previous result, the Miramonte-Pinewood game could be the most competitive of the first-round match ups. I witnessed their first encounter. If you don't have a rooting interest in anybody else playing on Friday, and live in the East Bay, come on down to Orinda

The game that I think has the most interest is St. Ignatius @ Salesian. After losing 3 of their last 4 games, will SI find their way back? They've got several good wins including a win over Chaminade, the SoCal #1 seed. But once the confidence starts to spiral ...

I posted earller about a one-possession game being a coin toss. so to me SI flipped a coin and got heads (or tails) twice, no surprise, in their last two games, I hadn't considered the confidence angle. whatever swagger they may have had from being consensus Norcal #2 for most of the season is probably gone. and when you get caught in negative thinking, it can take work and time to get out of it.

Mkbgdns

I agree SMB was a surprise and I'm not sure how they qualified. All of your other teams mentioned can make it in their divisions. My biggest surprise was Salesian getting the 3rd seed. I think MM got hosed getting Sacred Heart in their bracket. I think being the #1 seed they should have got the bracket MM got. I think SI is capable of winning that bracket because they match up well with MM or Pinewood if they can get by Salesian

I felt that no matter the outcome of the SMB/Salesian game both had a strong chance to be in the Open.SMB losing by 16 would have put some doubt in my mind for sure,though.If it would have been a close game I would have no problem with it.I guess their body of work got them in but just barely IMO.

Originally posted by CityBoy415:
Mkbgdns

I agree SMB was a surprise and I'm not sure how they qualified. All of your other teams mentioned can make it in their divisions. My biggest surprise was Salesian getting the 3rd seed. I think MM got hosed getting Sacred Heart in their bracket. I think being the #1 seed they should have got the bracket MM got. I think SI is capable of winning that bracket because they match up well with MM or Pinewood if they can get by Salesian
SHC is not in Miramonte's bracket. I think you mean SMS got hosed. All are very good teams in the Open, and every team must bring their A game or face defeat. One & done. That's what makes it such a great event.

I think the committee often sets up match ups like this. It is interesting that they put SHC in SMS bracket because they probably present the most difficult match up for them. Of course it could be justified by SHC record but that record does not in any way reflect their actual ability on the court. Especially in respect to matching up with SMS. On the other hand, both teams first games do not appear to be that difficult. But I don't really know that much about the Bay Area teams as I do about the Valley.

I would be surprised if the committee considered matchups. Remember, most section commissioners have never seen a team play outside their section, and their interest in girls' basketball is minimal.

Back in the day, when the selection process was open to the public, it was pretty clear they just tried to make things work out geographically and with some semblance of seeding balance.

As for the bracketing, with this group, it really doesn't matter. My first thought seeing Miramonte against Pinewood was, "Wow, that's a tough draw" -- and then I thought, "Well, which team wouldn't be?"

This is the Open. Every team is good. Every game will be hard (though obviously some will be harder than others).

St. Mary's of Stockton is the heavy favorite. I think Modesto Christian should have been in its division, and Carondelet should have been in the Open, but either one, I think, would have been the weakest of the eight. The other six? I think it comes down to who shoots better on that particular night -- and shooting is like the weather: It comes and goes.

How can you say Modesto Christian is weaker the Carondelet they play a tough schedule this year. The part of their Schedule was league play. If Carondelet wins State in their Division then they can Say they belong. I think the CIF based Seed on toughness of Schedule. I just don't understand the CIF committee decision when the don't know about most of the teams that aren't in their Section. I taught that was their job when they took office to make good decision. I think Modesto should have been seeded 5 or 6 not 8 because they won section. Each section should have an Open division since it helps with seeding because how SI get a high seed then Modesto.

yes, my thought about first round or second round match ups is: well, if the goal is to beat SMS and win the Division, the higher the hurdle, the more you'll be ready to pull the Big Upset. if you can't get to the final, you weren't ready to win it anyway. and hey, there's nothing in the rule book that says you can't beat a better team…one nice feature about the open is that seven teams that are usually favorites get to be underdogs. we root for underdogs because we want to see them win, and sometimes they do. oh, and goodbye to those 30-point wins on autopilot, a welcome change.

This post was edited on 3/10 11:42 AM by mkbgdns

This post was edited on 3/11 10:34 AM by mkbgdns

Modesto Christian's best win is against Vanden, and they lost to James Logan.

Carondelet's best win is against Mitty, and they lost to Dublin.

Each lost against a good SoCal team. Modesto Christian lost to SMS, Carondelet lost to Pinewood.

I think you could make a case either way, really, but I can't really argue over the final choice.

As for where Modesto Christian should have been seeded, I don't know that their record is better than Pinewood's, the seventh seed, but again, if that had been the seed, no real argument. I think it's hard to get them much higher given the lack of quality wins and that lost to Logan.

Clayk,

I have all the respect in the world for Mitty and Sue Phillips, but I think Carondelet's best win was over Mission Hills in the Santa Barbara tournament.Though Mitty is ranked a bit higher than Mission Hills, Mitty loss to Mission Hills head to head. Mitty may still be a better team than Mission Hills because the loss was in 2 over times.

Carondelet did play well in both of those games, but the Mission Hills road win probably gave Carondelet the confidence that carried them through the West coast Jamboree Diamond division championship and subsequent wins that followed like Mitty. A healthy Carondelet would have also most likely played a better game against Pinewood too in my opinion. Not to take anything away from Pinewood as they are a top notch team and very well coached.

I agree that you could make a case either way. Modesto Christian also loss to Pinewood. But both teams had a pretty good season. Both have to just make the best from here on out. Good luck to them !

Paytc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT