ADVERTISEMENT

Leading NorCal open candidates?

vukovich

Sports Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
What would be the top 8 if the season ended today that would get selected for the open?
- Salesian
- Branson
- Riordan
-SJS d1 champ
- De la salle
- ?
- ?
- ?

SRV has a strong shot at Open... So does Granada.

Both have several tough games left in the EBAL, and then league playoffs. Lots to prove yet, even for DLS.

But I'd think all three could make Open if they finish strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: ayalar09
I was thinking about that... I have no idea, but I think it's always been 6 since Open started.

So, going with the others I suggested... I'll try this list, not in order...

1. Salesian
2. Branson
3. Riordan (they've been on a roll lately, but have a history of being somewhat inconsistent, need to keep winning in the tough WCAL
4. SJS d1 champ
5. EBAL champ (DLS, SRV, or Granada)
6. SJS d1 runnerup or 2nd-best in EBAL.

Good luck to the seeders... and yes, there is still a LOT to determine.

Oh, yeah... can't forget St. Joseph if they're in the North. They would probably fill my sixth spot if they keep playing the way they've been.

NorCal d1 playoffs will be insane if they keep the Open to 6... and pretty darned great even if they DO expand Open to 8.

I was thinking about that... I have no idea, but I think it's always been 6 since Open started.

So, going with the others I suggested... I'll try this list, not in order...

1. Salesian
2. Branson
3. Riordan (they've been on a roll lately, but have a history of being somewhat inconsistent, need to keep winning in the tough WCAL
4. SJS d1 champ
5. EBAL champ (DLS, SRV, or Granada)
6. SJS d1 runnerup or 2nd-best in EBAL.

Good luck to the seeders... and yes, there is still a LOT to determine.
Somebody from the central section will be moved up. Assuming Saint Joseph but possibly Clovis west or Clovis north if they upset them. D1 will end up being pretty loaded as well.

What would be the top 8 if the season ended today that would get selected for the open?
- Salesian
- Branson
- Riordan
-SJS d1 champ
- De la salle
- ?
- ?
- ?
I think in some order is Salesian, Branson and DLS (assuming two of them makes the finals), Mitty and Riordan if they make the CCS finals and the SJS D1 champ

So that gives you six without the Central Section. I don’t think they do more than 6 so maybe a third NCS team drops to D1?

SRV has a strong shot at Open... So does Granada.

Both have several tough games left in the EBAL, and then league playoffs. Lots to prove yet, even for DLS.

But I'd think all three could make Open if they finish strong.
I believe there is a limit to 4 Open teams from a section, so if Salesian, Branson & DLS all make it, that only leaves 1 spot (at most) for another NCS team. By the same token, an early loss in the NCS Open by one or more of those 3 could be enough to keep them out if an SRV or Granada makes an NCS Open run. Still a lot of hoops to go, but I like the chances of those 3.

I think in some order is Salesian, Branson and DLS (assuming two of them makes the finals), Mitty and Riordan if they make the CCS finals and the SJS D1 champ

So that gives you six without the Central Section. I don’t think they do more than 6 so maybe a third NCS team drops to D1?
Open has always been an 8-team bracket. They can place 8 teams if deserving.

1. Salesian
2. DLS
3. St Josephs
4. Branson
5. Riordan
6. Granada
7. Monterey Trail
8. Modesto Christian

8 teams are good enough to be selected this year.

Do they try to give NorCal Open and SoCal Open the same number of teams? If so, that could be another factor at play.

It's very interesting to assume DLS will win the EBAL over SRV I see those two teams more evenly matched then most.

Open has always been an 8-team bracket. They can place 8 teams if deserving.
Had 5 teams in 2023 and 7 teams in 2022

They can place up to eight teams but they haven’t done that for at least the past two years

Reactions: dlew66
Does SJS get a team in this year? I'm not sure from what I've seen.
St Joeseph
Salesian
DLS
Branson
Riordan

These are my 5. Will make for a very good D1 with schools like Granada, SRV, MC, Sheldon, MT ,Mitty.

Does SJS get a team in this year? I'm not sure from what I've seen.
St Joeseph
Salesian
DLS
Branson
Riordan

These are my 5. Will make for a very good D1 with schools like Granada, SRV, MC, Sheldon, MT ,Mitty.
I think SJS gets a team. I don’t think one of the three major sections (SJS, CCS, NCS) have ever had zero teams in Open.

But I agree that the SJS is pretty down

I think they (CIF) made a rule that the Open will have the same number of teams in the So-Cal bracket as they do in the Nor-Cal bracket. They are trying to make it more equitable if that is even possible.

Reactions: Streak One
There have been 10 opens. Look above in saved threads for Nor cal history. As far as this year they could probably make a 16 in south it’s so deep which means D1 will be a monster. North 8 is a long shot .
History as follows for open
2013. N7. S7
2014. N6. S8
2015. N8. S8
2016. N8. S8
2017. N8. S8
2018. N8. S8
2019. N6. S8
2020. N5. S 6
2021. Covid
2022. N7. S7
2023. N5. S5

I think they (CIF) made a rule that the Open will have the same number of teams in the So-Cal bracket as they do in the Nor-Cal bracket. They are trying to make it more equitable if that is even possible.
I have liked this change.

MC has a great history, but this hasn't exactly been their best year. Certainly a good year, but not quite up to what they've been in recent years.

To the original "if the season ended today" question, I'd say they're not in Open. No Top 50 (in CA) wins, though Lincoln-Stockton is close to that, and they beat them by 22. The Crusaders meet those guys again, and also face Weston Ranch, currently #65.

If they win out regular season, then at least get to the SJS D1 finals, that *could* be enough, would be better to WIN the final (Of course, that would automatically put them in, I think...).

The Crusaders have the goods to get that done, but it's maybe 50/50.

MC has a great history, but this hasn't exactly been their best year. Certainly a good year, but not quite up to what they've been in recent years.

To the original "if the season ended today" question, I'd say they're not in Open. No Top 50 (in CA) wins, though Lincoln-Stockton is close to that, and they beat them by 22. The Crusaders meet those guys again, and also face Weston Ranch, currently #65.

If they win out regular season, then at least get to the SJS D1 finals, that *could* be enough, would be better to WIN the final (Of course, that would automatically put them in, I think...).

The Crusaders have the goods to get that done, but it's maybe 50/50.
Didn’t beat Lincoln by 22 . Lincoln had it to 6 in 4th.
Last night Lodi was up by 4 with 2 min left vs mc. Missed shots , a terrible travel call , a missed charge on a Sykes bucket all in last minute and MC hung on for Win. Lodi is #193 in California

Last edited:
Oops, misread the margin on the Lincoln game... and yeah, I did spot that Lodi game, surprising result...

But still, if they finish out strong, say 0 or 1 losses before SJS, then get to final, they might get in... and, like anyone else who wins SJS D1, that's automatic.

might be able to do that, might not, we'll have to see. The Lodi game especially reduces confidence.

I stand by what I said.. I don't see any SJS team worthy this year. Monterey Trail at 19-2 is strong but a pretty recent convincing defeat by Branson hurts that option. D1 is going to be a war!

Reactions: Eastbayhoops
Didn’t beat Lincoln by 22 . Lincoln had it to 6 in 4th.
Last night Lodi was up by 4 with 2 min left vs mc. Missed shots , a terrible travel call , a missed charge on a Sykes bucket all in last minute and MC hung on for Win. Lodi is #193 in California
is there video on those last few calls/non calls

The whole game is on NFHS. Just looked at the last few minutes myself.. Agree with HEAT on both counts, but then again, they didn't call the other 50 travels on Lodi. Seemed like they move both feet almost every time they turned with it.

that clip put up by M.C fan starts after both plays HEAT mentioned. The charge call/noncall was with a minute on the clock, and the travel call/noncall was with 1:54 left.

Looking again to get those times, I am now more like: The travel call was definitely wrong, the charge, bang-bang. But if I'd had the whistle, I think I would have called the charge... Maybe.

Reactions: nobody209
for a reference point. what makes a foul a block or a player control foul? what has to happen for it to be a player control? what cannot happen for it to player control foul. what does the offense do to make it an auto player control.

The whole game is on NFHS. Just looked at the last few minutes myself.. Agree with HEAT on both counts, but then again, they didn't call the other 50 travels on Lodi. Seemed like they move both feet almost every time they turned with it.
is it free?

Modesto and Salesian need to be disqualified by the CIF for the absurd shenanigans they've been pulling these past few weeks.

NFHS isn't free, but it's cheap for an addict like me... If you buy for a year, it's some $6 or $7 a month, all sports, all states. Only a few things get blocked or taken down, due to TV contracts.

A lot of the video isn't good, but it's improving. This game, the video is fine... Not exactly HD, but fine. Some of the games have announcers, and some small production teams with announcers travel around to games and then use NFHS to distribute the games online. ABC JAM productions comes to mind for a NorCal broadcast service.

If I find just two or three games a month with acceptable video to watch, it's well worth the nominal cost. WAYYYYYYY cheaper than Tanager or BallerTV or whatever...

And nearly all of the video stays online forever, or close to it.

Last edited:
Come on . Nobody on here is dumb. This basically Lodi’s last desperation to tie. With 20 seconds left. At about 150 with lodi with ball and up 2 a ref out of position called a bad travel. Then with 59 seconds and a 1 point game Sykes should have been called for a charge. Would have been Lodi ball down 1 . Instead down 3 and the play you show
why was it a player control foul?

NFHS isn't free, but it's cheap for an addict like me... If you buy for a year, it's some $6 or $7 a month, all sports, all states. Only a few things get blocked or taken down, due to TV contracts.

A lot of the video isn't good, but it's improving. This game, the video is fine... Not exactly HD, but fine. Some of the games have announcers, and some small production teams with announcers travel around to games and then use NFHS to distribute the games online. ABC JAM productions comes to mind for a NorCal broadcast service.

If I find just two or three games a month with acceptable video to watch, it's well worth the nominal cost. WAYYYYYYY cheaper than Tanager or BallerTV or whatever...

And nearly all of the video stays online forever, or close to it.
oh ok

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT