ADVERTISEMENT

Opt up thoughts

831ccschamp

Superstar
Oct 31, 2017
So there has been a ton of talk of whether or not Carmel will opt up since they beat Salinas High. Is there any other teams in CCS who are in D4 or D5 who could potentially opt up to the open brackets?

If Kings Academy knocks off Burlingame this week they will most likely end up 9-1 with there only loss being by 2 points to the 85th ranked team in Calif. Just a possibility- I have no idea what their mindset is with respect to challenging themselves nor do I know how their point total adds up to even be considered.

So there has been a ton of talk of whether or not Carmel will opt up since they beat Salinas High. Is there any other teams in CCS who are in D4 or D5 who could potentially opt up to the open brackets?
Had SLV not had their Offensive line equipped with Go Pros all season, they may of had a shot! I’m sure they needed them against YB and Sobrato.

KIngs Academy?

Reactions: FormerD1Backer
If Kings Academy knocks off Burlingame this week they will most likely end up 9-1 with there only loss being by 2 points to the 85th ranked team in Calif. Just a possibility- I have no idea what their mindset is with respect to challenging themselves nor do I know how their point total adds up to even be considered.

If Burlingame wins do they opt up?

I don't think anyone is opting up. Carmel fans potentially using the Salinas game as a benchmark would be a huge mistake. The MVC game should have highlighted that.

I don't think anyone is opting up. Carmel fans potentially using the Salinas game as a benchmark would be a huge mistake. The MVC game should have highlighted that.

Their game vs MVC was their worst game played all year. They had ~23 penalties called on them that game. Very unPadre like. They were just having an off night like most teenagers are prone to. But, I think the real benchmark will be their game against Alisal. If they smoke Alisal and they are 100% healthy, look for them to opt up. They as a team do not look at Salinas as their benchmark only because they did not bring their "A" game that night and still won quite handily.

Similar story I was told regarding go pros. Another story I was told(2 different programs)was the visitor teams locker room was bugged. If that was the case, that’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard.

If the season plays out according to form- IMO the only team of the ones mentioned above that could/should opt up would be Carmel. Would they be favored to win it- no. Could they compete- yes. Open D3 is shaping up to be a very competitive bracket and the eventual champion will have earned it. IMO if there is ever going to be a year for Carmel to "test the waters" and play with the bigger boys- this would be it. IMO this is Goldens best team yet and certainly worthy of giving it a go- no matter the end result.

Burlingame certainly could be in the discussion if they win out.

Burlingame will not opt up. Philipopoulos has been trying to get the hell away from bigger schools (both physically and in terms of numbers) as well as privates for years. Burlingame has a legit shot at winning D4 or D5, even if they end up in Carmel's bracket.

"Opt up" or "get forced up"? I don't think any team not in the WCAL has ever voluntarily opted up.

Their game vs MVC was their worst game played all year. They had ~23 penalties called on them that game. Very unPadre like. They were just having an off night like most teenagers are prone to. But, I think the real benchmark will be their game against Alisal. If they smoke Alisal and they are 100% healthy, look for them to opt up. They as a team do not look at Salinas as their benchmark only because they did not bring their "A" game that night and still won quite handily.

Man, do we follow a crazy game, or what?

So, what you're saying is that Carmel has a tendency to not bring their A game when the level of their competition rises... but is on it at all other times. Also, it's not really possible for other teams to not be on their game and for it to be ok, only Carmel.

Wow... that's just nuts. Thanks for pointing that out.

Just a side note... Salinas also had something like 20 penalties against Christopher and still managed over 500 yards of offense... more than the Cougars. Christopher has a win over MVC.

I suppose you're definitely hoping that the Padres clobber Alisal because you know very well that, good game or bad game, Salinas would still pummel the Trojans.

So, what you're saying is that Carmel has a tendency to not bring their A game when the level of their competition rises... but is on it at all other times. Also, it's not really possible for other teams to not be on their game and for it to be ok, only Carmel.

Just a side note... Salinas also had something like 20 penalties against Christopher and still managed over 500 yards of offense... more than the Cougars. Christopher has a win over MVC.

I suppose you're definitely hoping that the Padres clobber Alisal because you know very well that, good game or bad game, Salinas would still pummel the Trojans.
HAHAHAHA. Nope, the rule only apply's to teams that knock off a school that smokes a much higher student count.

I honestly think kings academy is more likely to opt up than Carmel. I just don’t understand why Carmel runs the score up on opponents. They called time out with a running clock to stop the clock against Soledad with a minute left so they could get the ball back. They even threw the ball once they got it back up 53-0.

I honestly think kings academy is more likely to opt up than Carmel. I just don’t understand why Carmel runs the score up on opponents. They called time out with a running clock to stop the clock against Soledad with a minute left so they could get the ball back. They even threw the ball once they got it back up 53-0.

Obviously you dont know how Coach Anderson thinks. He did that to get a couple backups who only had gotten like 2 plays due to the running clock. Also threw the ball to a player who just started playing football last year so that he could have a catch. You may look at it as running up the score but I guarantee you that kid will never forget getting to catch his 2nd reception in a varsity game for the rest of his life. Dont always assume the worst in people. Carmel is ran by coaches with class and a heart. The 3rd and 4th string guys practice hard all week too. So why should they not get a moment in the spotlight? Just adding some facts to an otherwise great gripe.

?

No WCAL team can opt up, since they're all A League teams already.

I mean historically, I think I recall a while back under one of the other neverending changing CCS playoff points system, some of the WCAL teams were being put in the lower divisions, but some opted up to the Open.

Reactions: aztecpadre
I mean historically, I think I recall a while back under one of the other neverending changing CCS playoff points system, some of the WCAL teams were being put in the lower divisions, but some opted up to the Open.
I recall the same thing happening a few years back.

That's right! That was in the pre-bowl era. WCAL teams would commonly opt up to get into the CCS Open division and before that the CCS DI division. Palma also opted up frequently. I think the only public school to opt up was Los Gatos one year. They got creamed and never opted up again even in their Trend Edwards years.

The opt up worked a little like it does today. A team could opt up to Open/DI and if they made the playoffs, they were placed in that division. Opt ups were given first priority and then it was filled up by enrollment-based playoff teams. If there were more than eight opt ups the lowest CCS point teams were sent back to their natural enrollment division. The exact rules fluctuated over the years including a few years when teams were aligned to their divisions according to their CCS points.

Today, a qualified team would opt up only if they wanted to take a shot at getting into the bowl games.

Hey Cal, your Cowboys got beat by the Padres. At home. After leading at the half.

You need to get over it. You spend how much time looking for ways to prove Salinas is better than Carmel? For what reason? They played and your guys lost, period.

Get a grip.

Hey Cal, your Cowboys got beat by the Padres. At home. After leading at the half.

You need to get over it. You spend how much time looking for ways to prove Salinas is better than Carmel? For what reason? They played and your guys lost, period.

Get a grip.

Carmel fans are sensitive.

I do have a grip... a firm grip on reality.

For the record, the original question on this was posed between AztecPadre and myself and we're good on the resolution, even if we still chide each other on it. He and I are cool about it. We've even talked about catching the state games together, which I hope happens.

It's outsiders like yourself that are the ones who seem to get upset. My opinion stems from watching high school football from across the state and seeing how things usually develop. Teams look great playing the little sisters of the poor, but "appear to struggle" against better teams. The fact that the Padres struggled against MVC was both surprising and not so... On one side, they shouldn't have if they're as good as some on here think they are. But on the other side, if they don't get tested at other times in the season, these are the results of that. Carmel has only faced one Salinas. Salinas has faced two or three Carmels. That's the difference. You learn more from a loss than a win. The Cowboys are playing much better against better teams than in the Mission as a result of that. Hopefully, it's good enough to beat Aptos in a couple of weeks.

The original comment that caught my attention was the claim that Carmel was the best in Monterey County. But, you know what? That claim isn't really made in one game... and certainly not in week 0. It's made over the course of a season. A lot of people understand that. For whatever reason, you don't... or at least you missed the entire point of my posts. It's pretty common for one result to go one way early in the season, then have it be very clear that the losing team in that game has improved a great deal more at the end. It happened something like three years in a row once in the LA City Section (rematches reverse the result of the first game). Just because there can't be a rematch in this case doesn't mean a comparison can't be made.

No, you have to go through riggers, such as through the Gabilan Division. In that league, you don't get to throw one punch in, then declare yourself the champ. You have to do it over and over, which is what Salinas and Palma are doing, and have done for years. I look forward to seeing Carmel dragged into the division, kicking and screaming, if need be.

All that said, if you don't like my posts, don't freakin' read them. Pretty simple.

Also, for the record, my opinion is actually shared by Streak on this website, as he has Salinas ranked over Carmel.

For the record, the original question on this was posed between AztecPadre and myself and we're good on the resolution, even if we still chide each other on it. He and I are cool about it. We've even talked about catching the state games together, which I hope happens.

It's outsiders like yourself that are the ones who seem to get upset. My opinion stems from watching high school football from across the state and seeing how things usually develop. Teams look great playing the little sisters of the poor, but "appear to struggle" against better teams. The fact that the Padres struggled against MVC was both surprising and not so... On one side, they shouldn't have if they're as good as some on here think they are. But on the other side, if they don't get tested at other times in the season, these are the results of that. Carmel has only faced one Salinas. Salinas has faced two or three Carmels. That's the difference. You learn more from a loss than a win. The Cowboys are playing much better against better teams than in the Mission as a result of that. Hopefully, it's good enough to beat Aptos in a couple of weeks.

The original comment that caught my attention was the claim that Carmel was the best in Monterey County. But, you know what? That claim isn't really made in one game... and certainly not in week 0. It's made over the course of a season. A lot of people understand that. For whatever reason, you don't... or at least you missed the entire point of my posts. It's pretty common for one result to go one way early in the season, then have it be very clear that the losing team in that game has improved a great deal more at the end. It happened something like three years in a row once in the LA City Section (rematches reverse the result of the first game). Just because there can't be a rematch in this case doesn't mean a comparison can't be made.

No, you have to go through riggers, such as through the Gabilan Division. In that league, you don't get to throw one punch in, then declare yourself the champ. You have to do it over and over, which is what Salinas and Palma are doing, and have done for years. I look forward to seeing Carmel dragged into the division, kicking and screaming, if need be.

All that said, if you don't like my posts, don't freakin' read them. Pretty simple.

Also, for the record, my opinion is actually shared by Streak on this website, as he has Salinas ranked over Carmel.
For the record, I never declared the Padres the best in the County, and you can just continue rambling on about all the reasons Salinas is better than Carmel, even thought they lost head to head. Salinas has 3x’s or more as many kids to choose from- They should be better but the only way they might definitively prove it has come and gone, hasn’t it? Bummer for you.

The thing I object to is your bashing to cover for the loss. I wish Salinas well and genuinely hope they go as far as possible, and was rooting heavily for them last year. Your tact is to imply each week that Carmel is overrated and has no business optimg up. I don’t understand why their success, as a small, local school, is so threatening to your ego.

Someone is still bitter.

How can Salinas be ranked over Carmel when Carmel beat them head to head by a decent margin? Salinas is not the only team that has the market cornered on improvement over the season. Carmel is also playing on another level now too.

And yes, for those that do not know Cal and I are totally cool and have been for years. When he comes up to this area he knows golf and a Carmel game is on me. And of course the Bowl games will be a trip we take together. All that being said, there is no proof that Salinas would win in a rematch.

And yes, for those that do not know Cal and I are totally cool and have been for years. When he comes up to this area he knows golf and a Carmel game is on me. And of course the Bowl games will be a trip we take together. All that being said, there is no proof that Salinas would win in a rematch.

lol...

For the record, I never declared the Padres the best in the County, and you can just continue rambling on about all the reasons Salinas is better than Carmel, even thought they lost head to head. Salinas has 3x’s or more as many kids to choose from- They should be better but the only way they might definitively prove it has come and gone, hasn’t it? Bummer for you.

The thing I object to is your bashing to cover for the loss. I wish Salinas well and genuinely hope they go as far as possible, and was rooting heavily for them last year. Your tact is to imply each week that Carmel is overrated and has no business optimg up. I don’t understand why their success, as a small, local school, is so threatening to your ego.

You're right. AztecPadre did... which is why my question about that was directed at him. He answered. Done.

The question in this thread was who might opt up to the Open playoffs. I don't think Carmel will. I think they should, but I don't think they will. I just know what people are going to say when it comes time to make that decision and I think they would be mistaken to use Salinas as part of that choice. I think they should opt up because a) they're good enough and b) it'll be a preview of what they see next year. I don't think they will because I don't think Golden will want to give the perception that he's seeking a move up to the Gabilan... a move that I think is inevitable.

I'm not bashing anyone. Just providing my perspective. People get romantic sometimes by what they see. You might say I'm doing the same with Salinas, yet I've stated over and over that Aptos is the team to beat right now, not the Cowboys. A possible game between the Mariners and the Padres would be really interesting in D-III, should Carmel accept that challenge. I hope they do.

How can Salinas be ranked over Carmel when Carmel beat them head to head by a decent margin?

Because the game took place in week 0 and a lot has happened since.

We'll see how they look against Alisal. They should win that going away. Let's see if they do.

Similarly, we'll see how Salinas looks against Aptos. We haven't been tested in the last couple of games and won't be again until we play them. Hopefully, we have enough. Right now, Salinas has to be considered the underdogs, but I'm glad Aptos is playing Palma the week before... they won't be able to hold anything back in their offense in that game... better scouting for the Cowboys.

Reactions: 831ccschamp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT