ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Cronin (HC Cardinal Newman) now at Windsor HS? Update: Richard Sanchez @ CN

Got a text from a buddy who coaches at Newman a few minutes ago. He told me the other day there was some big news coming out about coaching but wouldn’t tell me, he says it’s true.

Reactions: MC415 and NCS707
If Newman has an open hiring process that includes a full time teaching position this could be the biggest job ever in Sonoma County and the Bay Area in general in sometime. Pivotal moment here at Newman with Saint Vincents down in Petaluma trying to elevate it's sports, and whose best player is from Santa Rosa, the demographic shift in the area, and the loss of longtime basketball coach Bongfigli (sp).

Windsor is interesting, the town was growing rapidly for sometime but that has stalled and enrollment has peaked. The town still has many young families, a youth program, and a history checkered with random successful seasons, in between hiring good coaches who leave (or are forced out) quickly. The school is now 20 years old and Healdsburg is just a shell of it's former self, although their boys can hoop the past few years.

Interesting move for the local landscape, football in general in the North Bay has been declining in popularity and success, as school enrollment declines. Santa Rosa public schools are running at small school levels lately, other than a few random decent seasons from each. Rancho has stability, but the roster was small this spring, and enrollment is shrinking despite Rohnert Park being the only city with east bay/valley type new home construction. It's quite easy to tell, the better programs all have on campus coaches, usually the lackluster ones do not, and unfortunately walk on coaches are becoming the norm.

Really shocked here. But he got a state champ and built a tremendous program that is well respected throughout entire state of calif.
Anybody who knows Hs football was well aware of cardinal newman and Cronin. Here’s a coach who could be a major d1 college coach IMO. Hats off to him. Class act and not sure what is going on a newman these days, but he leaves on top. Newman, Marin Catholic, and Rancho seem to be the only real consistently good programs these days north of that GG.
Wish Paul the best. He’s a HOF person.

Really shocked here. But he got a state champ and built a tremendous program that is well respected throughout entire state of calif.
Anybody who knows Hs football was well aware of cardinal newman and Cronin. Here’s a coach who could be a major d1 college coach IMO. Hats off to him. Class act and not sure what is going on a newman these days, but he leaves on top. Newman, Marin Catholic, and Rancho seem to be the only real consistently good programs these days north of that GG.
Wish Paul the best. He’s a HOF person.
In the North Bay area Cronin gets flack for "recruiting" or "talent" but its clear to those that actually watch the games, without bias, that his teams are very well coached. Not just X & O's but his lineman possess excellent fundamentals, their special teams are organized and executed well, players are strong and conditioned physically and mentally, they consistently challenge themselves in their schedule and the list goes on. Paul deserves to be applauded, along with his great assistants and admin support, yes he was blessed with some great talent that has a large area to draw from and a strong tradition. This is all from an outsider, never had a relative go to CN.

The days of Petaluma and Ellison, Healdsburg and TK, Monty and Franci, and on and on are over. Coaching is now a carousel of walk on coaches. Piner and Bell are a new exception, although the school's population will not support a powerhouse he has started to build a solid program and is a teacher on campus. Lets not forget just about 20 years ago Elsie Allen beat CN. Now CN beats every team in the county 100 out of 100 times other than Rancho Cotate. The admin support and demographics favor the outer East Bay and the Central Valley now. The Bay Area, Sonoma not an exception, does just not field competitive teams from top to bottom anymore, and admin do not care.

Major coaching news. Curious what Cronin can build at Windsor.

And who Cardinal Newman can hire. I know there has been some athletic admin issues but it seems like a pretty good job.

You guys think LSU regrets letting Saban go? First Coach B and now Coach C? I don't get it.

Uncle yacht... same with me. You don’t let people like that go.
Cronin I think will do just fine. Maybe not the consistent teams year in and out but Windsor gets good talent. I could see him building a solid program in a very short time. He’s so well respected and kids will want to play for him.

Reactions: UncleYacht
IMHO huge error on CN part letting Cronin get away. The guy runs a great program...that lets face it, he draws kids to Newman year after year. Let's say 5-10 kids a year now choose not attend CN due to this move....how much $$ does the school potentially lose on those few students alone? Really question the leadership, if I am an administrator and want student athletes to come to CN, I sure as heck am going to do everything in my power to make sure that my well respected, successful, EXCEPTIONAL coaches stay at CN. If nothing else, it's bad business to let him go. This one is gonna have a long term negative effect on enrollment...fact.

Well this is good selfishly for Marin Catholic come NCS finals time now, they have done everything to keep Coach Mo and keep him on campus full time……….this is still a head scratcher by the admin at CN

Major coaching news. Curious what Cronin can build at Windsor.

And who Cardinal Newman can hire. I know there has been some athletic admin issues but it seems like a pretty good job.
Windsor immediately goes to the top of the league. Cronin gets size on the line and an extremely proactive AD. Marin Catholic will be bored on their run to the NCS championship.

Major error for CN administration.

Reactions: MC415
Taylor on the hoop side will do very well. Newman is solid this year in hoops at 9-1 with only loss to DLS. Hoops overall is pretty bad though in nbl.

agree about long term impact. What were they thinking!! And if you are a QB I’m going to Windsor now.

Reactions: Swishlife70
Windsor immediately goes to the top of the league. Cronin gets size on the line and an extremely proactive AD. Marin Catholic will be bored on their run to the NCS championship.

Major error for CN administration.
Windsor has historically been hampered by a non supportive athletic admin. They were still somehow able to draw a few quality coaches who had success over the years, but they left either for no teaching position or lack of support. Seems the philosophy has shifted recently and with this hire they are going all in.

Reactions: RLS13 and Bubba3000
Does anyone know or remember the story of why Cronin backed out of the Windsor job last time?

I’m curious what kind of push Herzog and Daly make. This is a window for SV to make a push and maybe draw some athletes from Santa Rosa, which has historically been Newman territory. Be curious if Hall has any friends at Newman who may want a change in scenery?

At the same time this could be a huge hire for the future of Newman. It has been a premiere job, so I’d think there were be quality coaches applying. But is there something going on with Rutherford and the admin that is pushing coaches out?

I’m curious what kind of push Herzog and Daly make. This is a window for SV to make a push and maybe draw some athletes from Santa Rosa, which has historically been Newman territory. Be curious if Hall has any friends at Newman who may want a change in scenery?

At the same time this could be a huge hire for the future of Newman. It has been a premiere job, so I’d think there were be quality coaches applying. But is there something going on with Rutherford and the admin that is pushing coaches out?
I do not know for sure but I think SV might have a few football players from Santa Rosa now, their quarterback was a transfer from Cloverdale (!). Hall is from SW Santa Rosa and went to public schools there, but as so many athletes from the area do they transfer away from Elsie Allen, and Piner to an extent. Hall's mother is the City Council representative for West Santa Rosa and chose to send her son to school out of town. I know for a time SV had students from Novato up to Rohnert Park but I think most Novato choose MC now and RP choose CN. I know SV is about half the size it was a decade ago and CN is continually shrinking as well, maybe COVID changes that course.

Go to any Catholic church in the area and look who is attending catechism classes and mass, it isn't wealthy white families. In my opinion CN needs to do a better job attracting Hispanic families, other Catholic schools have done a much better job of this. CN is still pretty lily white, whereas schools in areas with similar demographics such as Justin Siena and Palma are maintaining higher enrollment by attracting the members of their local parishes.

I think Newman should go for someone who is familiar with Catholic schools, who either went or coached at one. Attracting someone from the WCAL, DLS, ect would be their best bet. They need some traction to increase enrollment, they cannot even field a Frosh football team or 2 Frosh basketball teams any longer.

As for Windsor, I am guessing Cronin's children will attend public schools, CN maybe discontinued faculty discounts, just speculation. Many CN players come from Windsor so possibly some will stay in Windsor now. That school has had flashes of great teams and has attracted quite a few great coaches, but none have stayed more than a few seasons for various reasons. It strikes me as a place where parent are tough, but I'm not sure. Enrollment peaked and new home construction has stopped over there so who knows. Sonoma County as a whole peaked a few years ago and is losing population, just not affordable for families. Working class work multiple jobs/live with extended family, wealthy stay for the good life in wine country or inherit property, and quite a but of the middle class moves to the valley, Nevada, Idaho, ect...

• Wow
Reactions: UncleYacht
Great coach, great pickup for Windsor.
dies anyone know what happened or why he left?

After losing a great coach, CN must hire a high character coach that can win some football games. They cannot just get any guy out there that might be a good coach.
Who are some of the applicants? CN is still a good job, but they need to move fast.

After losing a great coach, CN must hire a high character coach that can win some football games. They cannot just get any guy out there that might be a good coach.
Who are some of the applicants? CN is still a good job, but they need to move fast.
Rumor is they may have hired a guy with prior Catholic HS experience in SoCal and a large collegiate resume. Very intriguing and big time hire if true.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Tim Walsh?
Dang I didn't know Tim was still coaching, I thought he was done after Cal Poly. Good for him.

Complete rumor here so I would rather not out it, I am still not seeing anything official anywhere either so please take it with a huge grain of salt.

This guy's squad won SD Section D2 in 2013 and has recently coached a college team nicknamed the Aztecs.

Reactions: THEOC89
Dang I didn't know Tim was still coaching, I thought he was done after Cal Poly. Good for him.

Complete rumor here so I would rather not out it, I am still not seeing anything official anywhere either so please take it with a huge grain of salt.

This guy's squad won SD Section D2 in 2013 and has recently coached a college team nicknamed the Aztecs.

Oh that would be a really good hire

Reactions: concrete17

Well he was at RSMC just a few years ago but stepped down. Just a rando guess, but with his local SSU background and Sera, Moreu and RSMC (catholic schools) background for some dumb reason first thing that popped in my head.

Are you talking about the former ST. Augustine Coach?…. That would be a really good hire!!!….

You connected the dots on that limited brief description :D ?
Ha!!!…. I was living in SD back in 2013 when ST Augustine won the D2 and I know their Coach eventually joined the SDSU staff…..

One of my Good Buddies is a ST Augustine Alum so I did follow them when I lived there and went to a couple of their games…. He is a really good coach and has the most wins in school history I think….

Last name is Sanchez, Blanking on his first name right now…..

Reactions: bella123
I heard the rumor on Friday, it's now Tuesday and I haven't heard anything official yet. I am a few degrees away from CN so when I get my info it's beyond second hand.

I hope they land Sanchez though, that would be such a great boost to North bay and Bay Area football in general.

:D Ha!!!…. I was living in SD back in 2013 when ST Augustine won the D2 and I know their Coach eventually joined the SDSU staff…..

One of my Good Buddies is a ST Augustine Alum so I did follow them when I lived there and went to a couple of their games…. He is a really good coach and has the most wins in school history I think….

Last name is Sanchez, Blanking on his first name right now…..
Beleive it’s Richard. The youth in me wants to say first of Dirty or Dick! If so quality coach! :)

I heard the rumor on Friday, it's now Tuesday and I haven't heard anything official yet. I am a few degrees away from CN so when I get my info it's beyond second hand.

I hope they land Sanchez though, that would be such a great boost to North bay and Bay Area football in general.
It's official. Richard Sanchez new head coach at CN

Credit the new "Head of Athletics" Monica Mertle for getting this done.

Sanchez is a GREAT hire. Having the opportunity to hear his vision for the school and where he wants to take the football program AND the entire athletic department has me fired up.

He will be more than just a football coach at the school, he's going to be an integral part in the rebuilding of the athletic department after all the turnover in it over the last year.

I expect him and Mertle to do big things in the near future at Cardinal Newman.

Well, let the rivalry begin. Will CN Lise kids to Windsor?
Good question. Hard to say, traditionally Newman has done very well in Windsor and attracting Windsor kids. Not sure how much these will change.

I definitely know some kids will follow Cronin there, it will be a matter of on the field success I’m guessing. It’s good for the kids to have choices to play for legitimate programs and coaches.

Reactions: THEOC89
Good question. Hard to say, traditionally Newman has done very well in Windsor and attracting Windsor kids. Not sure how much these will change.

I definitely know some kids will follow Cronin there, it will be a matter of on the field success I’m guessing. It’s good for the kids to have choices to play for legitimate programs and coaches.
Well, let the rivalry begin. Will CN Lise kids to Windsor?
Windsor is definitely home to many CN families, Cronin is a resident himself. CN is actually located in an unincorporated neighborhood of Santa Rosa (Larkfield/Wikiup/Mark West) that is just south of Windsor. Overall this is great for the local landscape, there should be three great large school programs; CN, Rancho Cotate, and now Windsor. Former powerhouses in the not so distant past like Casa Grande, Analy, and Montgomery probably won't ever get back to that level. Over the hill Vintage runs a great 3 level program and should be in the leave with the Sonoma teams. Napa and American Canyon have potential as well but are not stable now.

Talent is limited but Sanchez could generate a program that develops players he will be fine. Even though enrollment is dipping there has never been more Catholic families in Santa Rosa/Sonoma. Can he tap into the hispanic community for more enrollment? I know the other Catholic Schools (not MC) have large Hispanic/Latino enrollments, CN's demographics do not reflect the population in the area as a whole, Sanchez could change that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT