ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week 5

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Week 5

First things first: Congratulations to PG for beating RLS, now I know how @pastyfastquick3 feels after losing to DLS 😉 . Anyways PG played better most of the game, RLS made too many mistakes, but I did admire their grit and they had the ball with a chance at the end, really all you can ask for. I still like their chances to win the Lucia division.

In other news, apparently Salinas is like really good. I don’t know if they are St. Francis/Serra good, but is seems they could/should be CCS top 5 good. Aptos had a hell of 3 game stretch, and I don’t know if Salinas would beat them by that much again, but it appears Salinas is the best team in the Gabilan. They get an unscheduled bye this week as COVID has canceled the Alisal game. With the 10-day quarantine protocols in place, not sure if they will get in enough adequate practice time for the big match up with Hollister next week

Carmel will put it’s undefeated (1-0) record on the line for the first time in 4 weeks as it returns from 2 COVID cancelations and a scheduled bye week this Saturday vs Gilroy. Lots of questions about this Padre team, curios to see how they perform against Gilroy.

Here is the link to CCS playoff rules. Section 5 explains seedings and how at large works for teams playing less than 10 game.. Not sure if CCS is going to change for this year due to multiple teams playing less than 10 games.

http://cifccs.org/sports/fball/2021-22/football_bylaws_2021-22.pdf

All four division’s start league games this week.

Not a great week last week, 8-5 Overall 44-12

Gabilan

Fri 09/24 Salinas (CA) at Alisal (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm: Canceled due to COVID

Fri 09/24 San Benito (Hollister, CA) at Alvarez (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm: This should be a walkover for Hollister, but in years past Hollister has lost these types of games. New Year new Haybalers. Hollister 34-7

Fri 09/24 Seaside (CA) at Aptos (CA), 7:30pm: Aptos takes out its Salinas Frustration vs an undermanned Spartan team. Aptos 45-6

Fri 09/24 Christopher (Gilroy, CA) at Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA), 7:30pm Probably the Closest matchup this week, battle for 5th. Christopher 24-14

Mission

Fri 09/24 Soquel (CA) at Gonzales (CA), 7:30pm- Both these teams have struggled a bit this year. Going with the visiting Knights. Soquel 24-10

Fri 09/24 Santa Cruz (CA) vs Monterey (CA) at Monterey Peninsula College (Monterey, CA), 7:00pm- 2 Undefeated teams met up in an early league showdown. Santa Cruz has looked really good, Monterey has looked good, but pretty week schedule. Santa Cruz 35-21

Fri 09/24 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Soledad (CA), 7:30pm – Two teams coming off wins last week. Pretty even matchup, taking the home team. Soledad 21-18

Sat 09/25 Gilroy (CA) at Carmel (CA), 2:00pm- Gilroy has 3 games under its belt with 1 win, Carmel 1 game with 1 win. Carmel’s 1 victory seems a little bit better than Gilroy’s. I expect Carmel to come out slow with some mistakes but rebound and their speed and athleticism will start to take over. Carmel 42-31

Cypress

Fri 09/24 Watsonville (CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 7:30pm- Watsonville has 2 wins vs bad teams, Scott’s Valley has a dominate defense. Scott’s Valley 21-0

Sat 09/25 Pacific Grove (CA) vs Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA) at Alvarez (Salinas, CA), 12:00pm- Freaking PG, beat my beloved Pirates. They win again, over a young Rancho San Juan team. PG 30-6

Sat 09/25 North Monterey County (Castroville, CA) at San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA), 4:00pm- Old SCCAL rivals meet up. Pretty Even match up, taking the home team Cougars. SLV 17-14

Santa Lucia

Sat 09/25 Washington (San Francisco, CA) at Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA), 6:00pm- Harbor at 4-1? Have not seen that in a long time. We will see it Saturday Night. Harbor 24-6

Sat 09/25 Greenfield (CA) at Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA), 2:00pm- Greenfield has a nice win vs Gonzales, Pajaro has no wins and some big losses. Greenfield 35-20

Sat 09/25 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA), 2:00pm- With all due respect to Harbor, these are probably the best 2 teams in the division. This will be their first of 2 games and will count as a league game. I think RLS will be too athletic for the small but Mighty Sharks. RLS 32-21

Was just thinking about the SLV teams of the past (late 90s, early 2000s, I think). Such a small school, but they were so tough.

Salinas' results so far aren't that different than that of Los Gatos. There may not be a great distinction between Salinas, Los Gatos, Bellarmine, and Valley Christian.

How Devine keeps Hollister at #1 is beyond me.

Last edited:
RLS13- Hard to argue with any of your picks this week- don't see any glaring mistakes in your projections. Am also surprised to see Hollister at #1 in the area- time will tell.

Was just thinking about the SLV teams of the past (late 90s, early 2000s, I think). Such a small school, but they were so tough.

Salinas' results so far aren't that different than that of Los Gatos. There may not be a great distinction between Salinas, Los Gatos, Bellarmine, and Valley Christian.

How Devine keeps Hollister at #1 is beyond me.
The win over Wilcox didn't hurt Hollister, but only one more week before the two meet up. I think because they were rated higher and the game coming up will settle it. If he moved Salinas above Hollister a couple weeks ahead of the head to head, he would have to move them down if they lose. If they win, they move the Cowboys up to #1 and they could be up there until Palma loses or when they face off at the last game in league. League may not be determined until last game in league. With Salinas only playing 9 games (and maybe 8 if they weren't able to schedule a game on their bye), will impact their playoff seeding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT