ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs. Granite Bay

Pitt clearly the better team. I hope their offense shows up like this against Narbonne.
That is the bottom line tonight. Pittsburg’s Defense has been lockdown for month now. No doubt the best defense in NorCal. Congrats to Coach Galli too! This is was a great win for all of those great NCS teams that never made it.

That defense completely ruled that game. Five turn overs and a turn over chain for them. Hahaha. Congrats NCS and congrats to Pittsburg.

That is the bottom line tonight. Pittsburg’s Defense has been lockdown for month now. No doubt the best defense in NorCal. Congrats to Coach Galli too! This is was a great win for all of those great NCS teams that never made it.

That defense completely ruled that game. Five turn overs and a turn over chain for them. Hahaha. Congrats NCS and congrats to Pittsburg.
Great win for Pitt! I hope they win ot next week! I knew they would score alot of points on GB. The comment about them having the best defense in Norcal was obviously not true..even before this game...and sorry Paloma, much respect for Pitts defense but they also don't have the best defense in Norcal. Definitely the second best. Much respect, now go get it next week!

Great win for Pitt! I hope they win ot next week! I knew they would score alot of points on GB. The comment about them having the best defense in Norcal was obviously not true..even before this game...and sorry Paloma, much respect for Pitts defense but they also don't have the best defense in Norcal. Definitely the second best. Much respect, now go get it next week!

Who’s is better? DLS?

Despite the result of the game last night, Granite Bay's defense this season was excellent, nearly elite. The Pitt game doesn't change that. Pitt had more speed, athleticism and are well coached.

But let's be clear, Granite Bay's offense is not very good. They're not hard to defend if you can keep them from the big play.

I was really impressed with Pitt last night and think they will represent Norcal well next weekend. They will give Norcal a better chance to win that game than Granite Bay would have.

Yep, Pitt QB Justin Boyd redeemed himself in this state playoff win after being much maligned for a lackluster performance in the DLS 24-7 loss in NCS section title game a week ago. Had he made this stellar performance during the DLS game, the outcome in NCS title game could've been different. Next yr Pitt returns with same QB and much of the big guys in Pitt D, so its going to be more exciting. Galli's dream is to beat DLS and they always meet at NCS; doesn't need to be scheduled.

Reactions: coachlittle
CONGRATULATIONS PIRATES. I'm a Pittsburg guy so this win has me really excited. I know some guys don't like the fact that you can lose the section championship game and still move on but i feel that this new system has benefited a team like Pitt. The Pirates have had some really good teams over the years and I'm finally glad to see one break thru and display what they can do playin for a state championship against elite competition. I know it wasn't pretty against Cen10 but they've been playing really good football since that game. Let's go Pitt, bring a state championship to the P

Reactions: remc
Not having a qb really hurt gb this year I watched them play folsom and they win that game if the qb could connect on fade routes it looks like he just throws it as far as he can every time

As good as Pitt is looking, I don't think they're as good as Central or Folsom. But good team nonetheless. I hope they rep well next week.
Maybe,maybe not,But Pitt would give them a game for sure,For some reason,Pitt seems to be underestimated,particularly by SJS supporters.Would be interesting to see Pitt versus either one

Maybe,maybe not,But Pitt would give them a game for sure,For some reason,Pitt seems to be underestimated,particularly by SJS supporters.Would be interesting to see Pitt versus either one
If sac high can give folsom a game I’m sure Pitt could to when your a team with athletes and speed you just match up better

Yep, Pitt QB Justin Boyd redeemed himself in this state playoff win after being much maligned for a lackluster performance in the DLS 24-7 loss in NCS section title game a week ago. Had he made this stellar performance during the DLS game, the outcome in NCS title game could've been different. Next yr Pitt returns with same QB and much of the big guys in Pitt D, so its going to be more exciting. Galli's dream is to beat DLS and they always meet at NCS; doesn't need to be scheduled.
Agree,but the caliber of the opponent had a lot to do with that.

If sac high can give folsom a game I’m sure Pitt could to when your a team with athletes and speed you just match up better

We need a Folsom Pitt match up next year. Teams like Cen10 and Bosco might be to much for Pitt because the way the bring in top notch athletes every year, but I know for a fact they can line up and match a team like folsom

CONGRATULATIONS PIRATES. I'm a Pittsburg guy so this win has me really excited. I know some guys don't like the fact that you can lose the section championship game and still move on but i feel that this new system has benefited a team like Pitt. The Pirates have had some really good teams over the years and I'm finally glad to see one break thru and display what they can do playin for a state championship against elite competition. I know it wasn't pretty against Cen10 but they've been playing really good football since that game. Let's go Pitt, bring a state championship to the P
Agree.Alot of good Pitt teams over the years that have had their season end vs DLS,when they would have beaten just about anybody else.Glad this playoff format gives them a chance to show what they are capable of against section champions not named DLS

GB had a great season. But one of the worse offenses I've seen for an elite type team. Pitt has a strong argument for the #2 team in Norcal behind DLS. I missed this one. I had GB winning 14-10.

DLS played a tougher schedule, gave up fewer points (DLS 168...Pitt 220) and defeated Pitt a week ago. Not seeing your argument here.
I think he was comparing Pitts and Granite Bays defenses,not Pitt vs DLS defense.

Reactions: Paloma
Totally agree DD. Looking at the head to head games against Granite Bay, Pitt would give Folsom all they could handle. Pitt 37 GB 14 @ Granite Bay and Folsom 35 GB 14 @ Granite Bay. And not to mention, Galli is twice the coach of Centrals coach Biggs. I would love to see Galli ask Richardson for a game next year. I'm sure Galli would replace Cen10 with Folsom. In week zero Pitt can scrap Cen10 and Folsom can scrap Coeur d' Alene whom they've owned the past two years. I'm sure Folsom is looking for a game in week zero after taking Coeur d' Alene to the woodshed in their home and away agreement. That game can definitely be scratched off of Folsom list if Richardson makes the call. Galli isn't afraid of anyone and especially a SFL opponent. He's been Mr. anybody, anytime, anywhere for years. The motto started by Fresno State coach Pat Hill fits Galli to the Tee. He's even reached out to schedule the SFL power Granite Bay during the time they were coached by State Champion Ernie Cooper. We can only hope Folsom will accept the offer if approached.

Totally agree DD. Looking at the head to head games against Granite Bay, Pitt would give Folsom all they could handle. Pitt 37 GB 14 @ Granite Bay and Folsom 35 GB 14 @ Granite Bay. And not to mention, Galli is twice the coach of Centrals coach Biggs. I would love to see Galli ask Richardson for a game next year. I'm sure Galli would replace Cen10 with Folsom. In week zero Pitt can scrap Cen10 and Folsom can scrap Coeur d' Alene whom they've owned the past two years. I'm sure Folsom is looking for a game in week zero after taking Coeur d' Alene to the woodshed in their home and away agreement. That game can definitely be scratched off of Folsom list if Richardson makes the call. Galli isn't afraid of anyone and especially a SFL opponent. He's been Mr. anybody, anytime, anywhere for years. The motto started by Fresno State coach Pat Hill fits Galli to the Tee. He's even reached out to schedule the SFL power Granite Bay during the time they were coached by State Champion Ernie Cooper. We can only hope Folsom will accept the offer if approached.

You would hope so. Would love to see it.

I don't underestimate them. I just don't believe they're as good or as complete as Central and Folsom. Central isn't even a SJS team, so obviously no bias there. I said the same before matchups were set. My opinion has nothing to do with which section the teams play in, just an honest evaluation from seeing each of the teams play at least a couple times.

Of course we'll never know for certain since they'll never play. So I'm not saying it's fact or foregone conclusion. But rest assured that section affiliation has nothing to do with it. All 3 teams are pretty darn good. To me, Folsom and Central's offensive capabilities far exceed Pitt's and whatever advantage Pitt has on defense isn't large enough to make up the difference. And Folsom has an edge in ST's simply because of Joe Ngata.

I do agree with you that Pitt could give both a good game and poses some unique challenges.

I don't underestimate them. I just don't believe they're as good or as complete as Central and Folsom. Central isn't even a SJS team, so obviously no bias there. I said the same before matchups were set. My opinion has nothing to do with which section the teams play in, just an honest evaluation from seeing each of the teams play at least a couple times.

Of course we'll never know for certain since they'll never play. So I'm not saying it's fact or foregone conclusion. But rest assured that section affiliation has nothing to do with it. All 3 teams are pretty darn good. To me, Folsom and Central's offensive capabilities far exceed Pitt's and whatever advantage Pitt has on defense isn't large enough to make up the difference. And Folsom has an edge in ST's simply because of Joe Ngata.

I do agree with you that Pitt could give both a good game and poses some unique challenges.

Appreciate your perspective.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Totally agree DD. Looking at the head to head games against Granite Bay, Pitt would give Folsom all they could handle. Pitt 37 GB 14 @ Granite Bay and Folsom 35 GB 14 @ Granite Bay. And not to mention, Galli is twice the coach of Centrals coach Biggs.

See, that's the problem with evaluating potential matchups based upon score comparison. You think Folsom would have struggled with Antioch and San Ramon Valley to the degree Pitt did?

Tracy faced SRV, St. Mary's and Folsom this season losing by 20, 28 and 35 respectively. By score comparison logic, a Folsom v. St. Mary's game should have been pretty close. But we eventually saw that matchup in the postseason and it wasn't close at all.

So what can you conclude from Pitt only beating SRV by 9 who beat Tracy by 20 who in turn lost to Folsom by 35?? Absolutely nothing --- as evidenced from the Tracy-St. Mary's-Folsom example.

These teams simply can matchup much differently based upon their unique strengths, weaknesses and varying level of play over the course of a 10-16 week season.

I'd take Folsom over Pitt by 2-3 scores and Central over Pitt by a score or two but score comparisons aren't going to prove or disprove that opinion. For all we know, Pitt's d-line could dominate the game and Folsom would lose by double digits.

Last edited:
So much for GB having the best defense in Norcal. They got smoked...

While GB's defense certainly could have played better, you have to look a bit deeper rather than just dismissing them as overrated. GB's inability to stay on the field and mount drives (with their offense) kept their defense on the field far too much and they simply wore down. Tell tale signs were missed tackles that popped for long gains and/or TD's and being a step or two late in coverage. That wasn't happening early on, but as the game progressed it happened more and more frequently.

It's a credit to Pitt's defense/ST's, which forced 4-5 turnovers IIRC and I don't know how many punts. Lots of 3 and outs too. But as good as Pitt's defense is, GB's offense is just really bad. We talked about that all week long. I said I didn't know how the Griz were gonna be able to move the ball. And for the most part, they weren't able to. We also questioned Pitt's offense. But they benefited more from their defenses performance and found ways to pop big plays with speed and broken tackles.

I don't think this game tells us that GB's defense wasn't as advertised. It told us something else we already knew: That GB's offense was a big liability. W/O turnovers and constant 3 and outs, their defense kept them in every game they played this season.

Appreciate your perspective.

Thanks. As I said, it's just an opinion based upon the eye test, which can always be flawed. We'll just never know how the teams might have matchup. While I do like Folsom and Central better for the reasons already stated, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Pitt was able to beat either or both. It's not like they can't play.

Totally agree DD. Looking at the head to head games against Granite Bay, Pitt would give Folsom all they could handle. Pitt 37 GB 14 @ Granite Bay and Folsom 35 GB 14 @ Granite Bay.

Here's another example I neglected to include in my last reply.

Mater Dei 52, St. Mary's 14 and Folsom 50, St. Mary's 21.

Like your example above, this score comparison would indicate that Folsom could give Mater Dei all they could handle too. But do you really believe that would be the case? I sure don't.

And let's not even start in on the fact that Folsom and DLS both beat Central by the same exact margin. It doesn't matter or mean that a Folsom v. De La Salle game would be a toss up.

Reactions: nascar624
See, that's the problem with evaluating potential matchups based upon score comparison. You think Folsom would have struggled with Antioch and San Ramon Valley to the degree Pitt did?

Tracy faced SRV, St. Mary's and Folsom this season losing by 20, 28 and 35 respectively. By score comparison logic, a Folsom v. St. Mary's game should have been pretty close. But we eventually saw that matchup in the postseason and it wasn't close at all.

So what can you conclude from Pitt only beating SRV by 9 who beat Tracy by 20 who in turn lost to Folsom by 35?? Absolutely nothing --- as evidenced from the Tracy-St. Mary's-Folsom example.

These teams simply can matchup much differently based upon their unique strengths, weaknesses and varying level of play over the course of a 10-16 week season.

I'd take Folsom over Pitt by 2-3 scores and Central over Pitt by a score or two but score comparisons aren't going to prove or disprove that opinion. For all we know, Pitt d-line could dominate the game and Folsom would lose by double digits.
TR, so you think I'm wrong for saying Pitt would give Folsom all they could handle? Really. I'm sure most on here would feel the same way I do in this regard. The score comparison of a common opponent does carry some weight. I don't think no one here believes Folsom would beat Pitt in a blow out or Pitt win in a blow out over Folsom. Contrary to popular belief I believe most here predicted DLS over a good Pitt team after viewing both teams performances against SRV. I sure did. And you can use the same philosophy in regards to the score comparison of Pitt vs Vacaville and Granite Bay vs Vacaville. So game comparison can be a good tool in some cases. Is score or outcome comparison a perfect science? No, but it is one of (many) tools used to predict an outcome of games when figuring things out. Are you wrong? No, but I don't believe using comparison as one of the tools to predict a game is wrong either. JMHO.

I think he was comparing Pitts and Granite Bays defenses,not Pitt vs DLS defense.
Unless I'm missing something, I think the reason for @jamzz94549 comparison of DLS' D and Pitt's D was because of this previous post

That is the bottom line tonight. Pittsburg’s Defense has been lockdown for month now. No doubt the best defense in NorCal.
I too didn't interpret this as a comparison of just GB and Pitt's D's, but a claim that Pitt has the best D in all of NorCal.

I would also add that it's possible Pitt's QB's game was off against DLS due to the fact that DLS' D was playing lights out and simply just shut him down, another indicator that maybe DLS has the best D in NorCal at this time, based on how they are playing right now.

I also agree you could make a strong arguement Pitt is the 2nd best team in NorCal.
I think Folsom vs Pitt would be a lot better game than DLS vs Folsom. Most teams up in SFL lack the athletes that Pitt and Central Fresno have. (Which btw was a closer game than score indicated).

My 2 cents after watching a lot of football this year is Pitt would give Folsom everything they could handle and a win wouldn't surprise me.

Mater Dei's defense would smother the Folsom offense. Folsom's defense would have no answer to that high octane JT Daniel's express.

Mater Dei's defense would smother the Folsom offense. Folsom's defense would have no answer to that high octane JT Daniel's express.
Folsom would score on MD because their weakness is their secondary.The thing that hides that weakness is the amount of pressure they get on the QB which is outstanding with the line and linebackers

TR, so you think I'm wrong for saying Pitt would give Folsom all they could handle?

No. I'm saying using the score comparisons you posted is flawed and proven not to be a reliable way of coming to that conclusion. I cited several examples why.

Could Pitt give Folsom all they could handle and/or beat them? Sure. But they could get blown out too. We just don't know. The score comparisons don't tell us what might happen.

The score comparison of a common opponent does carry some weight. I don't think no one here believes Folsom would beat Pitt in a blow out

It carried no weight in the Folsom v. St. Mary's matchup. Based upon score comparison's between Folsom, St. Mary's and Tracy, I'm sure you didn't believe Folsom would beat the Rams in a blowout -- but they did. That's my point.

Hell, you can't even use a direct head2head matchup from earlier in the season to accurately predict what will happen in a rematch. How many times do we see a blowout one way flipped the other direction between the same teams? So how can you possibly think that indirect matchups are going to tell you a thing? For each time you find a case in support (in highsight), you can find one that doesn't support. It's a very flawed method and has been proven so time and time again.

DLS played a tougher schedule, gave up fewer points (DLS 168...Pitt 220) and defeated Pitt a week ago. Not seeing your argument here.
If you want to look at common opponents there’s only one. San Ramon. Pittsburg completely shut down SRV and SRV consistently moved the ball on DLS. Not to mention head to head. I’d guess that everyone that was at the NCS championship game would say that the Pittsburg defense was the better defense on the field that night.

No doubt Pitt could beat Folsom this year. I would have Folsom favored but not by much.
Pitts d line is great and they have the Db's (with lots of speed) to play that Folsom o.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Most teams up in SFL lack the athletes that Pitt and Central Fresno have.

Yet historically the SFL does quite well against those programs. GB was 4-1 against Pitt prior to last night's game. Maybe the SFL's athletes are a bit better than some think.

Folsom's not lacking in the athlete department. The fact that the opposition might have them too doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be close simply based upon that factor.

No doubt Pitt could beat Folsom this year. I would have Folsom favored but not by much.
Pitts d line is great and they have the Db's (with lots of speed) to play that Folsom o.

I agree. Pitt could beat Folsom. And Folsom could beat DLS. But whether either would actually happen is another story.

The flawed eye test tells me DLS >> Folsom >> Central >> Pitt. But that's just me.

Folsom o line not too impressive this year- big advantage to Pitt.
Pitt secondary tackles well and have great speed- would limit Folsom big plays and drives
Pitt has lots of speed on offense which really hurts Folsom.
Folsom still not an elite team in terms of physical play- another advantage for Pitt

Pitts biggest weakness, which it is almost every year, is their o line. Pitt has a damn good kicker too.

Reactions: remc
Folsom would score on MD because their weakness is their secondary.The thing that hides that weakness is the amount of pressure they get on the QB which is outstanding with the line and linebackers

Which is the recipe to slow any elite passing offense. That's precisely how DLS dominated Folsom's offense in 2012 and 2013. Browning had Austin Hooper and company in his face on the snap. He had no chance.

But Folsom's 2014 team didn't have that same flaw and each team since, while not as big or as talented as '14 on the lines, have improved in that area. Also, unlike Browning, Kaiden Bennett offers a dual threat and can extend plays with his legs. That too would help Folsom put some points on the board.

Santa Margarita put up 35 through 3 quarters against the Monarchs. SJB scored 21 and 24 in their 2 games. St. Mary's scored 14 through 3 quarters. I could see Folsom scoring between 14 and 28 depending upon how well they played. Problem is, they'd surrender 50+ -- at least.

Folsom is solid locally, but they are nowhere in the same stratosphere as the So Cal big 3. Either is DLS this season.

To be fair, there's only a handful of teams Nationally that can play with those 3 teams. That's precisely why they've been ranked so high all season. If Tanner McKee had been healthy all season, they could very well be right there with MD. Their games against IMG and SJB were greatly impacted by his absence.

Folsom o line not too impressive this year- big advantage to Pitt.
Pitt secondary tackles well and have great speed- would limit Folsom big plays and drives
Pitt has lots of speed on offense which really hurts Folsom.
Folsom still not an elite team in terms of physical play- another advantage for Pitt

Pitts biggest weakness, which it is almost every year, is their o line. Pitt has a damn good kicker too.

Folsom's lines aren't as impressive as 2014 or 2015, but still good. And their QB is able to escape pressure and hurt teams with his legs. I don't think some realize how many good athletes and speed this Folsom team has this year. Their speed and athleticism would pose just as much a problem to Pitt as in reverse.

I don't think Pitt could easily deal with the physicality of Folsom's receivers. Ngata and Badger are both big, fast and a load to tackle in the open field. Folsom does a great job getting the ball to them in space and eventually they break it off. And as soon as a defense starts adjusting to that play, they hit you over the top and/or with the younger Ngata in the run game.

Folsom's defense isn't great. But it's not bad. They are fundamentally sound. They rally to the ball and tackle well. But they certainly can be overpowered by a capable team. That's why I don't see them being able to beat a team like DLS. The Spartans run game, even w/o Kairee Robinson, would wear them down as it does to most defenses. But I don't see Pitt being able to accomplish the same feat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT