ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs. Granite Bay

No. I'm saying using the score comparisons you posted is flawed and proven not to be a reliable way of coming to that conclusion. I cited several examples why.

Could Pitt give Folsom all they could handle and/or beat them? Sure. But they could get blown out too. We just don't know. The score comparisons don't tell us what might happen.

It carried no weight in the Folsom v. St. Mary's matchup. Based upon score comparison's between Folsom, St. Mary's and Tracy, I'm sure you didn't believe Folsom would beat the Rams in a blowout -- but they did. That's my point.

Hell, you can't even use a direct head2head matchup from earlier in the season to accurately predict what will happen in a rematch. How many times do we see a blowout one way flipped the other direction between the same teams? So how can you possibly think that indirect matchups are going to tell you a thing? For each time you find a case in support (in highsight), you can find one that doesn't support. It's a very flawed method and has been proven so time and time again.
Well I agree to disagree on it being a 100% flawed method. To be honest, it's helped me to predict the winner in games when that's all I had to depend on. Is it a perfect science, we all no it's not. Is it helpful when predicting a game. It has been for me in some cases. That's all I can say about it.

Folsom o line not too impressive this year- big advantage to Pitt.
Pitt secondary tackles well and have great speed- would limit Folsom big plays and drives
Pitt has lots of speed on offense which really hurts Folsom.
Folsom still not an elite team in terms of physical play- another advantage for Pitt

Pitts biggest weakness, which it is almost every year, is their o line. Pitt has a damn good kicker too.
Just missed a little short on a 49 yard attempt vs DLS.Went about 47.5 yards

While GB's defense certainly could have played better, you have to look a bit deeper rather than just dismissing them as overrated. GB's inability to stay on the field and mount drives (with their offense) kept their defense on the field far too much and they simply wore down. Tell tale signs were missed tackles that popped for long gains and/or TD's and being a step or two late in coverage. That wasn't happening early on, but as the game progressed it happened more and more frequently.

It's a credit to Pitt's defense/ST's, which forced 4-5 turnovers IIRC and I don't know how many punts. Lots of 3 and outs too. But as good as Pitt's defense is, GB's offense is just really bad. We talked about that all week long. I said I didn't know how the Griz were gonna be able to move the ball. And for the most part, they weren't able to. We also questioned Pitt's offense. But they benefited more from their defenses performance and found ways to pop big plays with speed and broken tackles.

I don't think this game tells us that GB's defense wasn't as advertised. It told us something else we already knew: That GB's offense was a big liability. W/O turnovers and constant 3 and outs, their defense kept them in every game they played this season.
I never said they weren't ood. My point was that they were/are not the BEST defense in Norcal like a couple guys alluded to a couple days ago.

St Mary's scored, so yeah I can see them scoring. However, the outcome would be the same. Folsom is not the Bishop or SJB, make no mistake about that.

Folsom would score on MD because their weakness is their secondary.The thing that hides that weakness is the amount of pressure they get on the QB which is outstanding with the line and linebackers

Reactions: ararar
I never said they weren't ood. My point was that they were/are not the BEST defense in Norcal like a couple guys alluded to a couple days ago.

Agreed, not the best. Damn good, but not DLS level and not as good as the Pitt defense is playing right now. I'm sure there are a few others out there that could be mentioned too.

Reactions: townbiz24
Listen I get it. They're a good team. However, until they schedule a relevant oos team and beat them, they will be 2nd tier in Cali. Next year is the chance to get that monkey off their back.

I’m talking about non-conference. You cannot control who is in your conference. The fact is DLS played 2 National Top 25 teams. Folsom has not played 1 team ranked in the National Top 100. Their best win is in the playoffs against a Fresno team who would not be Top 15 in So Cal. DLS scheduled up. Why doesn’t Folsom schedule National powers, ever? Forget DLS, why will Folsom not schedule top national games?

Don’t waste your breath Top100. Arguing with (Bulldog-Folsom-Whatever Name he chooses to go by this week) is like talking to a brick wall. Most of us don’t reply because we’ve got all his posts blocked. You are obviously accurate in your assessment, and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see, that due to Folsom’s weak Non-League schedule, they’ll likely never get the benefit of the doubt over a team like DLS when it comes to selections. Let’s see if they finally step it up next season and schedule a true quality Non-league opponent when they’ve got a ton of talent coming back (not just in the skill positions either). I sure hope so, I’d love that see them knock off a big boy from SoCal or even DLS. But they’ve got to do it on the field

It wouldn't matter who Folsom scheduled. Haters are going to hate. You DLS fans are just so predictable (and boring).

BTW - Calpreps has DLS ranked 5th in the state. Behind Folsom who is 4th. With Pitt 10th. Calpreps also has predicted that DLS will get spanked by MD to the tune of 42-17. And Folsom's SOS as measured by Calpreps is pretty close to DLS.

We all know that the really informed opinions are developed by those who contribute anecdotal evidence gleaned from reading group-think posts on a message board. But the super insightful poster attends a game or two, sits in the stands with the other 'experts' and sips hot chocolate. After all the ability to create a new gmail account and sling anonymous mud is the true sign of great knowledge. (Sarcasm intended). Even coaches who watch tons of film, study the individual match-ups and scheme, create game plans to either exploit or cover the match-ups struggle to understand if they might win. I love it when an opinion is stated as if it was a fact, or an unavoidable outcome.

I am rooting for the Norcal teams to beat their Socal counterparts to bring home the trophies. Especially Placer and Folsom. But I am also rooting for DLS (and Pitt and Serra and St. Francis and the rest of the Norcal teams).

It wouldn't matter who Folsom scheduled. Haters are going to hate. You DLS fans are just so predictable (and boring).

BTW - Calpreps has DLS ranked 5th in the state. Behind Folsom who is 4th. With Pitt 10th. ...

Agree feedback, but if Folsom did actually go out and schedule a strong and reputable Non-League opponent, at least they’d give everyone a tangible reason to argue in their favor.

BTW - Calpreps has DLS ranked 5th in the state. Behind Folsom who is 4th. With Pitt 10th. Calpreps also has predicted that DLS will get spanked by MD to the tune of 42-17. And Folsom's SOS as measured by Calpreps is pretty close to DLS.

We all know that the really informed opinions are developed by those who contribute anecdotal evidence gleaned from reading group-think posts on a message board. But the super insightful poster attends a game or two, sits in the stands with the other 'experts' and sips hot chocolate. After all the ability to create a new gmail account and sling anonymous mud is the true sign of great knowledge. (Sarcasm intended). Even coaches who watch tons of film, study the individual match-ups and scheme, create game plans to either exploit or cover the match-ups struggle to understand if they might win. I love it when an opinion is stated as if it was a fact, or an unavoidable outcome.

I am rooting for the Norcal teams to beat their Socal counterparts to bring home the trophies. Especially Placer and Folsom. But I am also rooting for DLS (and Pitt and Serra and St. Francis and the rest of the Norcal teams).
Why would DLS fans hate Folsom?Nobody hates Folsom, it’s the claims of being the best in NorCal without scheduling national and state powers that others schedule that people have a problem with. Everyone knows they are a great program, their strength of schedule outside of the region needs to reflect that. Until then,certain claims about being NorCals best team ring a little hollow.

Agree feedback, but if Folsom did actually go out and schedule a strong and reputable Non-League opponent, at least they’d give everyone a tangible reason to argue in their favor.

Having been a coach and having that perspective, my thoughts are:
1. What they are doing including their scheduling seems to be working
2. I cannot imagine that they care about anyone arguing in their favor (for the opportunity to play MD).
3. Travelling sucks. Bus rides to SoCal sucks.
4. I bet they have a hard time getting games period.
5. The goal is to win section championships. Many of you seem to forget that. The rest is gravy. SOS does not factor in to any part of the SJS playoffs. It only matters when the state seedings are done. I personally would focus on getting my team ready for my league opponents and for a run at the section title. And let the state rankings happen the way that CIF deems fit.
6. These kids are going to play 16 games. I would err on the side of trying to keep the kids healthy all the way to game 16. Getting banged-up early sucks. 7. Some teams play 15 games max (CCS) and some play 14 games max (NCS Open). And then there is the SJS that plays 16 games max (Div 1-3). Don't underestimate the impact of playing an 2 additional playoff games.
8. A bad win is better than a good loss all things considered.
9. 'Battle Tested' can be gained in any competitive game. Good game experience is not exclusive to contests against the best teams in the state.

All that being said, I would love to see Folsom play DLS in the pre-season.

I agree with just about everything written feeback. My original post was in response was to those who insist on Folsom deserving The Open Bid. If Folsom is happy as a clam “as-is”, more power to them. If they’d like to be considered for an Open Bid, I believe they need to improve their schedule, or go undefeated again and hope DLS loses a few games during their season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT