ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburg Shoot Out January 5th

basketba11

Sports Fanatic
Feb 17, 2017
Wow, it has been a fun last couple of weeks of 2018. There has been tons of great games and super match ups already. Happy New Year to Everyone! I know there are a bunch of more good games coming in 2019 with each weekend having special 1 day shootouts/show case/jamborees!
Anyone have the schedule for this Saturday's shoot-out at Pittsburg HS?

I see a couple of the games from looking at max-preps schedules...
Pittsburg vs Arroyo 930am
TN vs BC 2pm
McClatchy vs Oakland 5pm
Antelope vs California 630pm

I see a couple of the games from looking at max-preps schedules...
Pittsburg vs Arroyo 930am
TN vs BC 2pm
McClatchy vs Oakland 5pm
Antelope vs California 630pm
The director should make a switch and have Antelope play McClatchy, that would be a Marquee matchup that I would LOVE TO SEE.

2 other notable games this Saturday I noticed on the schedule...

Sac High playing at Mitty
Carondelet playing at St Marys Stockton

I don't think SMS is at full strength. Did they get Oliver back? I believe a starter is out for the season. So getting Oliver back I guess is considered at full strength right? Or just what is the situation at SMS?

I think Mitty knows they better be ready for a good challenge from a hungry Sacramento team that I'm sure feels like they let one go in the Carondelet loss. That should be a good test to see where both Mitty and Sacramento are with regard to the Open Division seeding.

I don't think SMS is at full strength. Did they get Oliver back? I believe a starter is out for the season. So getting Oliver back I guess is considered at full strength right? Or just what is the situation at SMS?

I think Mitty knows they better be ready for a good challenge from a hungry Sacramento team that I'm sure feels like they let one go in the Carondelet loss. That should be a good test to see where both Mitty and Sacramento are with regard to the Open Division seeding.
I saw Oliver in uniform at the wcj. As far as Sacramento high I don’t think they have a chance against Mitty. Sue will out coach their coach. But sac will for sure put up a challenge.

Last edited:
Paytc, from what I understand, I do not think Oliver is back yet for SMS, lingering knee issues from last year's ACL recovery. But I believe Jada Moss is back playing. I have heard Nicole Young is out for the season, but do not know this for sure. In my opinion, not having Nicole Young is a big blow to this team, as she is super smart, steady point guard, controls the tempo, just a leader/coach on the floor that every team needs. Jada Moss and Anna Blount are the senior leaders this year, Blount was all tournament in AZ. Cayton and Gotico are good players and they have 5 freshman (point guard and 6'5 center) on varsity this year which is why they have been a little inconsistent. But I'm sure no one feeling sorry for this team, especially themselves. They won 2 overtime games in AZ and are 10-3 so far this season. Of course the 20 point loss to Heritage stands out, but this team is young, still learning and developing. After losing their 3 stars last year, I'm sure other teams are thinking it might be the year to finally upset them. But I wouldn't count this team out ever, especially when they get Oliver back.

I saw Oliver in uniform at the wcj. As far as Sacramento high I don’t think they have a chance against Mitty. Sue will out coach thier coach. But sac will for sure put up a challenge.
You know many people didn't think (including me) that Sac High had a chance against Etiwanda, Pinewood or Carondelet either. But I think they have proved they can play with anyone. They will not be intimidated by Mitty, they have 5 seniors that have been playing 4 years of varsity including 2 studs in Avent and Walters. Kudos for them for playing in the Platinum at WCJ! And their upcoming schedule playing Mitty and Centennial, they are obviously not ducking anybody. The only comment I have is it is too bad no rivalry game this year with McClatchy as they are no longer in the Metro League, probably oldest rivalry in CA high school sports. I'm sure Azanna would agree that this game would be a must see as well.

Reactions: Paytc
You know many people didn't think (including me) that Sac High had a chance against Etiwanda, Pinewood or Carondelet either. But I think they have proved they can play with anyone. They will not be intimidated by Mitty, they have 5 seniors that have been playing 4 years of varsity including 2 studs in Avent and Walters. Kudos for them for playing in the Platinum at WCJ! And their upcoming schedule playing Mitty and Centennial, they are obviously not ducking anybody. The only comment I have is it is too bad no rivalry game this year with McClatchy as they are no longer in the Metro League, probably oldest rivalry in CA high school sports. I'm sure Azanna would agree that this game would be a must see as well.

Yeah some people don't just let a uniform, rankings, or tradition, cause them to not show up and play the game to win it. After watching Sacramento play Carondelet, and the second half of the Pinewood game, and the fact they beat Etiwanda, they didn't seem to be intimidated by any team in the Platinum Division of the WCJ. I don't think this years Mitty team is any better than Pinewood or a healthy Salesian. I think Mitty is about at the same level as those two team with Carondelet and Sacramento about a three point shot or so away. So Sacramento will be in a game similar to the game they had with Pinewood. A game they hung with Pinewood until the tipping point where the momentum broke Sacramento's back and put the game out of reach by about the start of the 4th quarter. They will have to know when to call time out if they see any sign of a momentum swing that could put the game out of reach. Teams like Pinewood and Mitty are well coached. Challengers have to bring their A games. The opposing coaches and players do have to be having a good day at the office to keep the game within reach. It should be as I said a good measuring stick on where the teams will likely be seated if both make it to the Open this year. Norcal has several games coming up that all will impact the Open division seeding. This is just one of them. Best wishes to both teams !

And Pittsburg's shootout does have some good match ups !

Reactions: norcalprepfan
8:30 Skyline vs Pinole Valley
9:30 Arroyo vs Pittsburg
11:00 McKinleyville vs Montgomery
12:30 Piedmont vs Doughtery Valley
2:00 Bradshaw Christian vs Terra Nova
3:30 Edison vs Pleasant Valley
5:00 McClatchy vs Oakland
6:30 Antelope vs California
8:00 Will C Wood vs John Swett

St. Ignatius and Sacred Heart (Cathedral) have been playing one another since before the invention of the wheel.

St. Ignatius and Sacred Heart (Cathedral) have been playing one another since before the invention of the wheel.
Yes, another great long-standing rivalry! The annual Bruce-Mahoney basketball game is on January 8 at UC Berkeley available online at BAOSN.tv and live on the Eleven Sports Network - the girls game at 5pm and the boys at 7pm. I haven't heard much about SI this year so far, anyone have some input about them?

Sounds like a great game. SHC will be dangerous once again come February.

Does anyone have an update on the MRI Nia Chinn of Salesian recently had? Because Salesian is also a much better team with Chinn being able to provide the serious 3 point threat. Is Nia returning this season or out for the rest of the season? I do hope she got good news and can fully recover soon.

Yeah some people don't just let a uniform, rankings, or tradition, cause them to not show up and play the game to win it. After watching Sacramento play Carondelet, and the second half of the Pinewood game, and the fact they beat Etiwanda, they didn't seem to be intimidated by any team in the Platinum Division of the WCJ. I don't think this years Mitty team is any better than Pinewood or a healthy Salesian. I think Mitty is about at the same level as those two team with Carondelet and Sacramento about a three point shot or so away. So Sacramento will be in a game similar to the game they had with Pinewood. A game they hung with Pinewood until the tipping point where the momentum broke Sacramento's back and put the game out of reach by about the start of the 4th quarter. They will have to know when to call time out if they see any sign of a momentum swing that could put the game out of reach. Teams like Pinewood and Mitty are well coached. Challengers have to bring their A games. The opposing coaches and players do have to be having a good day at the office to keep the game within reach. It should be as I said a good measuring stick on where the teams will likely be seated if both make it to the Open this year. Norcal has several games coming up that all will impact the Open division seeding. This is just one of them. Best wishes to both teams !

And Pittsburg's shootout does have some good match ups !

I did say Sacramento would be in a game like the Pinewood game that they ended up losing by 25. I however thought the game would be closer. I was afraid they might miss calling the time out to prevent the game from getting out of reach. I guess Sacramento didn't get that timeout call to stop the momentum run Mitty had, or Mitty just had too many runs of momentum.

Congratulations Mitty !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT