ADVERTISEMENT

Poor Sportsmanship

Jan 11, 2016
I had the opportunity to attend the CCS Championship games for the girls and boys last night at Santa Clara University. The night was great for the winners and disappointing for the losers, but one thing stood out to me after the award ceremony in the boys game. As I looked onto the court, I noticed the 2nd place trophy sitting in the middle of the court as the BELLARMINE team walked off. Immediately without thinking I yelled out, "Bellarmine pick up your 2nd place trophy, show sportsmanship." One of the last adults walking out picked up the trophy and walked out. A few minutes later the Bellarmine athletic director found me in the crowd and apologized and stated he didn't know what was going on with that trophy being left in the middle of the court. To say the least, as a coach I was immediately disgusted at the lack of respect for the game that was displayed when a team leaves a trophy on the court after a loss. Should I have minded my own business? Maybe, but I didn't, so whatever...

Last edited:
Reactions: AndThree
I had the opportunity to attend the CCS Championship games for the girls and boys last night at Santa Clara University. The night was great for the winners and disappointing for the losers, but one thing stood out to me after the award ceremony in the boys game. As I looked onto the court, I noticed the 2nd place trophy sitting in the middle of the court as the BELLERMINE team walked off. Immediately without thinking I yelled out, "Bellermine pick up your 2nd place trophy, show sportsmanship." One of the last adults walking out picked up the trophy and walked out. A few minutes later the Bellermine athletic director found me in the crowd and apologized and stated he didn't know what was going on with that trophy being left in the middle of the court. To say the least, as a coach I was immediately disgusted at the lack of respect for the game that was displayed when a team leaves a trophy on the court after a loss. Should I have minded my own business? Maybe, but I didn't, so whatever...
Watch end of the game, can the Bells coach walk over and shake hands. Meet at half court, why does the SHCP coach have to walk all the way to the Bells coach. Show some respect, and show some class.

Reactions: 121wayz
I had the opportunity to attend the CCS Championship games for the girls and boys last night at Santa Clara University. The night was great for the winners and disappointing for the losers, but one thing stood out to me after the award ceremony in the boys game. As I looked onto the court, I noticed the 2nd place trophy sitting in the middle of the court as the BELLERMINE team walked off. Immediately without thinking I yelled out, "Bellermine pick up your 2nd place trophy, show sportsmanship." One of the last adults walking out picked up the trophy and walked out. A few minutes later the Bellermine athletic director found me in the crowd and apologized and stated he didn't know what was going on with that trophy being left in the middle of the court. To say the least, as a coach I was immediately disgusted at the lack of respect for the game that was displayed when a team leaves a trophy on the court after a loss. Should I have minded my own business? Maybe, but I didn't, so whatever...

That was what Sheldon got hit with and had to play their first two playoffs games on the road for this year’s playoffs

You're disgusted because you're one of those guys that thinks everyone should get a medal. That type of thinking is why our kids have become so soft.

I was reading a few articles this morning, I didn't realize Bellarmine has been there multiple times, which can put a sour taste for that 2nd place trophy in their mouth. Still no excuse to place the trophy on the floor showing the disrespect for the game.

You're disgusted because you're one of those guys that thinks everyone should get a medal. That type of thinking is why our kids have become so soft.
Haha, Never, actually I'm the OPPOSITE of that statement. I've been blessed with 2 sons that are 2 sport athletes and PROVEN winners. I'm accustomed to winning as a coach, but on the occasion that I lose, I RESPECT the game and accept the award given. Now you won't find any 2nd place trophies DISPLAYED with my others, but I own them. It's a part of life, winning and losing. So, before you speak, find out who you're talking to.

Reactions: mansnothot
That was what Sheldon got hit with and had to play their first two playoffs games on the road for this year’s playoffs
Streak you are wrong. It was one game and it wasn’t for leaving a trophy on the court. The second playoff game was because Although SHELDON was #1 seed if any Delta team they played who finished ahead of them in league would get a home game. Had Monterey Trail won SHELDON would have been home.
Just like if Jesuit would have won Semi would be a Jesuit. Oak Ridge was at Sheldon

Streak you are wrong. It was one game and it wasn’t for leaving a trophy on the court. The second playoff game was because Although SHELDON was #1 seed if any Delta team they played who finished ahead of them in league would get a home game. Had Monterey Trail won SHELDON would have been home.
Just like if Jesuit would have won Semi would be a Jesuit. Oak Ridge was at Sheldon

My mistake on the second game. The first road game was because of something that happened in the 2018 Section finals, right?

Waiting for the day physical trophies are not handed out but rather a digital medal/trophy. No more banners hanging in the gyms but a big jumbotron LCD that just shows Sport/Championship level/Year. Seriously some schools are going to run out of space and things will just end up in landfill.

Anyone ever seen the move Taledega Nights where Ricky Bobby says, “If you ain’t first, you’re last!” I know this is high school sports but losing in the finals so many times in a row combined with the fact that they saw their Open chances go up in smoke. I don’t agree with their actions, but at the same time I wouldn’t exactly hold that against them.

Anyone ever seen the move Taledega Nights where Ricky Bobby says, “If you ain’t first, you’re last!” I know this is high school sports but losing in the finals so many times in a row combined with the fact that they saw their Open chances go up in smoke. I don’t agree with their actions, but at the same time I wouldn’t exactly hold that against them.
RICKY BOBBY!! love it! I agree with his Mantra, but accepting the trophy in a ceremony, then leaving it for all to see?? Ummmm, that's BS. If they didn't didn't want it they had 3 options; 1. Win the game 2. Walk out without accepting it 3. Toss it in the trash in the privacy of their own home. That type of disrespect shouldn't be displayed. These are the lessons we teach young men (all boys school).

Waiting for the day physical trophies are not handed out but rather a digital medal/trophy. No more banners hanging in the gyms but a big jumbotron LCD that just shows Sport/Championship level/Year. Seriously some schools are going to run out of space and things will just end up in landfill.
Digital stars on your social media profile, like a virtual trophy case! Great idea!! lol

Reactions: ayalar09
I just don’t think it’s a huge deal, but don’t get me wrong. Any team I would coach that would do something like that, would be running suicides for a half-hour to get our next practice started!

I like to win, but at the same time you have to be grateful as well. Leaving the trophy on the court is being ungrateful.

Reactions: 121wayz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT