ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions for preseason Games

STRAIGHTFOOTBALL

Board Regular
Jul 19, 2024
Ok football gurus predictions for Pitt, Folsom, Riordan, J Serra , Mack, St F , St Marys preseason, alot of traveling going on in these preseason match ups. And if you have teams not listed lets add them on. Pick the best competitive game on their preseason schedule

What exactly do you mean by "pre-season" (especially since you used the term 3 times in 3 sentences)? Pre-season is an NFL term, meaning "before the season". These HS games all count, and they are part of each team's 'season'. These games count for each team's season record, and will be used for rankings, ratings, etc. Perhaps the term you are looking for is "Non-League"?

What exactly do you mean by "pre-season" (especially since you used the term 3 times in 3 sentences)? Pre-season is an NFL term, meaning "before the season". These HS games all count, and they are part of each team's 'season'. These games count for each team's season record, and will be used for rankings, ratings, etc. Perhaps the term you are looking for is "Non-League"?
I so agree with this statement! But I have noticed over the ast couple of years many people refer to non league games as pre season. I assume its because they're never mixed (ie - non league games first then league games). Does drive me crazy

Reactions: STRAIGHTFOOTBALL
It’s no coincidence that the top NorCal teams have the most challenging non-league schedules:
  • Serra
  • Pitt
  • Folsom
  • St. Mary’s
  • Grant
  • Riordan
  • McClymonds
  • DeLaSalle
  • San Ramon Valley
  • St. Francis
  • Oak Ridge

Last edited:
It’s no coincidence that the top NorCal teams have the most challenging non-league schedules:
  • Serra
  • Pitt
  • Folsom
  • St. Mary’s
  • Grant
  • Riordan
  • McClymonds
  • DeLaSalle
  • San Ramon Valley
  • St. Francis
I haven’t seen all of these teams non-league schedules, but you excluded Oak Ridge, who plays a Top 20 ranked school from Cali, the #2 team from Tennessee, and a solid Central Section team from Bakersfield.

• Serra
  • Pitt
  • Folsom
  • St. Mary’s
  • Grant
  • Riordan
  • McClymonds
  • DeLaSalle
  • San Ramon Valley
  • St. Francis
Which of these teams u listed non league game is most interesting and whats ur prediction of that game ? And yes for clarification I did mean Non League

I did mean Non League

Reactions: FBAddict
I haven’t seen all of these teams non-league schedules, but you excluded Oak Ridge, who plays a Top 20 ranked school from Cali, the #2 team from Tennessee, and a solid Central Section team from Bakersfield.
Definitely add those in there non league

Definitely add those in there non league
Oak Ridge looked good in scrimmage against Sheldon but that wasn't much of a test. Sheldon is pretty down. OR will be really tough with Edwards and Womack. Its the line that is really the question with all new starters some of which are soph.
Frontier is a big first test. They were very good last year and have some speedy D1 athletes that will test the secondary.
OR schedule is brutual and if they can come out of the first 5 games at 3-2 I think that is a win.

Oak Ridge looked good in scrimmage against Sheldon but that wasn't much of a test. Sheldon is pretty down. OR will be really tough with Edwards and Womack. Its the line that is really the question with all new starters some of which are soph.
Frontier is a big first test. They were very good last year and have some speedy D1 athletes that will test the secondary.
OR schedule is brutual and if they can come out of the first 5 games at 3-2 I think that is a win.
Ok ok 👍

It's pretty common, I'd say even the norm, within the coaching community to refer to non-league opponents and games as pre-season. I think that a large part of that culture comes from the fact that in older playoff systems, specifically in the SJS, it was all about where you finished in league and less your overall W/L.

I see you just joined last month... Welcome to NorCal!

I think you'll find that not many do scouting/predictions that often on really early non-league games, other than taking guesses on the weekly prediction game run by the site.

I sure don't, my game is basketball, though I do go to a few football games. (I'm going to Folsom this Friday)

If you want to see in-depth predicting, scouting, and arguing (nah, that NEVER happens!), the West Catholic Athletic League has some really passionate fans that'll satisfy your hunger. :)

The bigger leagues in Sac area get some forum heat, too...

Both mostly don't heat all that much until league games are about to happen.

Does anybody know if the "Folsom" transfers are eligible against LBP on Friday night? LBP will have the sort of speed that Folsom likely won't see again.

Does anybody know if the "Folsom" transfers are eligible against LBP on Friday night? LBP will have the sort of speed that Folsom likely won't see again.
Only one I can confirm is Carter Jackson will be playing. Not sure about the others… they could sure use Josiah Sharma though on the line.

Reactions: THEOC89
SM only returns like five starters from last year‘s team, but they should make easy work northern Nevada’s top team
As one of the SM homers on this site, I will concur. Yes, the Rams return Kenneth Moore III, Ivan Huerta, Osani Gayles, and Carter Williams, along with 6’3” 320lbs lineman Evan Gaea, whose brother was a standout for last year’s team. And yes, there are question marks at QB and RB, although any of these returning WR’s can run the ball, especially Moore and Gayles. And sure the Rams aren’t returning many starters, and yes, they are young, with even these key players juniors and sophomores, except Gaea who is a senior. But, Bishop Manogue is quite young, as well, with several key players graduated. Their QB, 6’2” Brandon Mann (a junior), who already has a game this season under his belt, could be a threat in the air and on the ground. Mann as a freshman played for Leland HS out of San Jose, CA. But, let’s not let that first game of the season 48-14 win vs Damonte Ranch create much concern. Their top WR Nathan Simmons played JV last year and their RB Nathan Shannon as a sophomore on Varsity had limited playing time carrying the ball 3 times for 13 yards. BM varsity and JV teams easily beat Damonte Ranch last year, which does not speak much volume with their inaugural win this season. St Mary’s is young but more varsity mature. Only first game mistakes (penalties, turnovers) will make this game closer. But, I better be quiet and be humble. Last time I built the Rams up with high expectations (2 years ago vs Turlock) I had to crawl under a rug. LOL! IMHO, what this core set of skilled players for the Rams will bring to the field on Saturday should be fine and just enough to secure the win (lots of speeeeed!!!). This Rams team is not Damonte Ranch! GO RAMS!!!

Last Friday BM QB was the Las Vegas Raiders Showcase MVP of the game. Definitely a gamer. What is SM QB situation?
SM Rams QB position most likely will be last year’s backup (as a sophomore), Jaden Galvan. He may be challenged by senior transfer (unlimited eligibility due to valid change of residential address), Timmy “TK” Karagounis (from Tokay), who just received eligibility yesterday. So, TK will be new to the system and only getting to practice with the team this week. Solid backup. Galvan does not have to be great. He just needs to be good enough to get the ball to the Rams key skilled players, Moore, Huerta, Gayles, and Carter Williams. They will be the ones putting on the “show”.

St Mary's only has 5 starters returning ? BM lost several starting Sr as well. Did SM QB transfer out to Edison?
Yes, SM former backup QB (as a freshman 2 years ago) and stepped down to play JV last season as a sophomore, Devin Rasmussen, transferred to Edison and is cleared to play immediately. He has done well during the summer 7-on-7’s and is expected to be a good shot in the arm for the Edison Vikings. Reg season game between SM and Edison is going to be a game you don’t want to miss watching. It’s Edison’s inaugural season in the TCAL league after dominating the SJAA not so strong league.

Yes, SM former backup QB (as a freshman 2 years ago) and stepped down to play JV last season as a sophomore, Devin Rasmussen, transferred to Edison and is cleared to play immediately. He has done well during the summer 7-on-7’s and is expected to be a good shot in the arm for the Edison Vikings. Reg season game between SM and Edison is going to be a game you don’t want to miss watching. It’s Edison’s inaugural season in the TCAL league after dominating the SJAA not so strong league.

Rasmussen is a Great QB , great kid as well. Wish him a great season

Reactions: bulldogmgc
SM only returns like five starters from last year‘s team, but they should make easy work northern Nevada’s top team
I don't know - The BM team will be better than its 2023 counterpart of last year's start in my opinion. SM should win this match I wouldn't expect BM to roll over.

I don't know - The BM team will be better than its 2023 counterpart of last year's start in my opinion. SM should win this match I wouldn't expect BM to roll over.
It should be a Game if SM brings it ! The line at BM is one the most legit lines I have seen on field ! I'm very surprised the O Line at BM is not on scouts radar

As one of the SM homers on this site, I will concur. Yes, the Rams return Kenneth Moore III, Ivan Huerta, Osani Gayles, and Carter Williams, along with 6’3” 320lbs lineman Evan Gaea, whose brother was a standout for last year’s team. And yes, there are question marks at QB and RB, although any of these returning WR’s can run the ball, especially Moore and Gayles. And sure the Rams aren’t returning many starters, and yes, they are young, with even these key players juniors and sophomores, except Gaea who is a senior. But, Bishop Manogue is quite young, as well, with several key players graduated. Their QB, 6’2” Brandon Mann (a junior), who already has a game this season under his belt, could be a threat in the air and on the ground. Mann as a freshman played for Leland HS out of San Jose, CA. But, let’s not let that first game of the season 48-14 win vs Damonte Ranch create much concern. Their top WR Nathan Simmons played JV last year and their RB Nathan Shannon as a sophomore on Varsity had limited playing time carrying the ball 3 times for 13 yards. BM varsity and JV teams easily beat Damonte Ranch last year, which does not speak much volume with their inaugural win this season. St Mary’s is young but more varsity mature. Only first game mistakes (penalties, turnovers) will make this game closer. But, I better be quiet and be humble. Last time I built the Rams up with high expectations (2 years ago vs Turlock) I had to crawl under a rug. LOL! IMHO, what this core set of skilled players for the Rams will bring to the field on Saturday should be fine and just enough to secure the win (lots of speeeeed!!!). This Rams team is not Damonte Ranch! GO RAMS!!!
A few other SM Rams players to take note, sophomore linebacker David Haggerty (baseball team stud!) who might also get an opportunity to carry the rock out of the backfield, along with 5’9” 195lb junior linebacker/RB, Diego Hernandez, who was a stud on the Rams JV squad last year. Sophomore FS Nathaniel Nemee was a defensive stud on the Freshman team last year for SM. Sophomore lineman 6’3” 271 lbs Damian Anyasodo moves up to Varsity, as well.

SM should get the job done by a few scores. Wouldn’t be surprised if BM makes it a dog fight game through the first 3 quarters.

Reactions: aztecpadre
It's pretty common, I'd say even the norm, within the coaching community to refer to non-league opponents and games as pre-season. I think that a large part of that culture comes from the fact that in older playoff systems, specifically in the SJS, it was all about where you finished in league and less your overall W/L.
It’s funny, I played in the SJS when it was all about league games and how those led to the playoffs, but even they we called them “Non-League” games. ”pre-season” was before the season, usually a scrimmage or two.

I mean , reality is for the top teams, it’s weird to consider saying it’s these “pre season games that matter the most!!”

LOL

Do we know how fast "this" LBP team is? I ask because in past match ups neither Grant Union nor Granite Bay seemed to be bothered by their speed. I'm not saying I know for sure, just that's it's easy to get caught up in the "brand name" and prior history.

Not only that, it's entirely possible LBP won't see another team like Folsom again this season, with the overall talent and dual-threat QB. Who knows.

It’s funny, I played in the SJS when it was all about league games and how those led to the playoffs, but even they we called them “Non-League” games. ”pre-season” was before the season, usually a scrimmage or two.

I mean , reality is for the top teams, it’s weird to consider saying it’s these “pre season games that matter the most!!”

LOL

dragonslayer is pretty on-point in that it's more of a "historical" thing.

I'd say up til "around" 1998ish into the early 2000's, the mainstream still used the term "preseason". The reason being is that the further back in time you go, non-league games weren't factored in to the postseason equation. Only league games. And prior to the implementation of the first playoff system (early 1970's for the SJS) the top prize for every team was simply winning their league. Hence only league games were counted as "real" games. If you research old yearbooks and newspaper articles, the preseason games often aren't reported or even listed for many schools.

One key piece of evidence further demonstrating how non-league games were viewed back then was that some sections (the SJS being one of them) often didn't sanction or allow the old school "CA tiebreaker" to be used in the event of a tie after regulation. The CA tiebreaker was typically only used for league games and then only if the result could potentially impact the league championship or playoff participants/seeding. For example if two 0-4 teams met in the last week or two of the league season and ended regulation in a tie score -- the CA tiebreaker wouldn't be played since neither team was in the mix for the league title or a postseason appearance.

You'll notice that "ties" pretty much went the way of the dodo bird roughly 20 years ago. That's because things changed wrt how non-league games were viewed. Some leagues, sections, and prep reporters began to factor in non-league games as tiebreakers of sorts, whether they be actual tiebreakers or just used as separators for ranking/rating purposes. From there the practice just continued to grow, as many sections began to allow tiebreakers for ALL games.

By the late 2000's, marquee non-league games, intersectional play, and extensive travel became more of the norm. The interest and importance of these games increased to the point that the mainstream no longer viewed these match ups as "preseason" games. They are all legit non-league games. And as we've seen in recent years, many of these non-league match ups have determined seeding, byes, and even determined the OPEN division participant of the CIF State Championships.

Lastly, I just want to state for the record that the timeframes mentioned above are approximations (mostly applying to the SJS), as some sections and leagues adopted changes sooner than others.

Do we know how fast "this" LBP team is? I ask because in past match ups neither Grant Union nor Granite Bay seemed to be bothered by their speed. I'm not saying I know for sure, just that's it's easy to get caught up in the "brand name" and prior history.

Not only that, it's entirely possible LBP won't see another team like Folsom again this season, with the overall talent and dual-threat QB. Who knows.
It’s been reported that speed is LBP strength this season. Their relay team was one of the fastest in the state and they were all football players. LBP does have MV on their schedule who can be argued is as good or better than Folsom. Lincoln (SD) is no chump either.

LBP is very fast! 3 out 4 people from their 4x1 team last year play football and all 3 go sub 11 100. The fastest is a sophomore who went 10.38 last year. I believe that broke the state record. 2 we're just freshman last year so not sure they played varsity. Those are just a couple of the guys I know about but I'm sure they have good team speed up and down the roster.

Fun note that 4x1 team got 2nd in state just a step in front of Saint Mary's which had both Moore and Gayles on the relay team, and both were upset by Pittsburgh. Many of these guys weren't even seniors. I'll also add De La Salle to that list as they were also in the 4x1 finals and most of those guys are back this year. Tells me NorCal maybe be able to match the speed from down south over the next couple of years.

Reactions: aztecpadre
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT