ADVERTISEMENT

QB picks up offers

He would be a steal for a mtn West program. Nice to see schools are taking notice. Kid can play and is tough. A throwback.

He would be a steal for a mtn West program. Nice to see schools are taking notice. Kid can play and is tough. A throwback.

I honestly don't understand why he isn't being recruited more heavily than Ian Book. Better size, better athlete.

Probably not a better QB at the same stage, but a lot of recruiting is based upon size, athleticism and perceived potential based off that. That's precisely why Ari Patu is being recruited so heavily -- who hasn't shown half as well on the field of play as Lamson has.

If Lamson continues to go under the radar, I sure hope Sac State ends up with him.

Looks like someone else out there gets it:

Last edited:
I honestly don't understand why he isn't being recruited more heavily than Ian Book. Better size, better athlete.

Probably not a better QB at the same stage, but a lot of recruiting is based upon size, athleticism and perceived potential based off that. That's precisely why Ari Patu is being recruited so heavily -- who hasn't shown half as well on the field of play as Lamson has.

If Lamson continues to go under the radar, I sure hope Sac State ends up with him.

Looks like someone else out there gets it:

Its a mystery...Patu is based mainly on potential and if you look at family name and athletics it’s a huge advantage. Lamson is a little “raw” in terms of style. Think like old Jim McMahon. Only thing I can think of. I’m at the stage in my life where I know that some people just get a label and put in a box for some reason. Not sure why. But the recruiters passing him up will end up missing out. And Troy Taylor who was more pedigree than most of them knows how good he is. Would love for him to stay as well TR.

And Troy Taylor who was more pedigree than most of them knows how good he is. Would love for him to stay as well TR.

The above was beginning to concern me. Because SAC ST had yet to offer him. Until May 1st, apparently.

I wonder what took so damned long.

Sac State Coaching staff has not wanted to offer its QBs early for fear that it will open that person up to being offered elsewhere. IMO they need to trust in their relationship building and offer these guys. You wait and now you look like the bandwagon recruiter. They should have been the first to offer him.

Reactions: ThunderRam
So let’s say you are on scholarship at cal poly.... what does this mean? Couple that with schools are going to be in horrible financial position. Worse than imaginable.

Sac State Coaching staff has not wanted to offer its QBs early for fear that it will open that person up to being offered elsewhere. IMO they need to trust in their relationship building and offer these guys. You wait and now you look like the bandwagon recruiter. They should have been the first to offer him.

Agree 100%. Which is why I was perplexed why they weren't first or at least among the first to offer. Instead, they allowed a couple fellow Big Sky programs beat them to the punch. While it might not matter in the end, that kind of thing can have an effect. Depends on the kid.

I've never been a college recruiter, of course, and it's hard to 2nd guess these guys since they've done an excellent job in recruiting during their short tenure thus far -- however, coming from the POV as an athlete myself, I'd consider a late offer from my local school as a slight. Bandwagon-ish, as you put it.

According to @larry legend33, he saw Coach Taylor at a few Oak Ridge games this past season, so it seems they were taking notice well before the late season run OR made. So I figured they were very interested. But as I continued to see his offers grow and they weren't among them until just recently, it concerned me.

I also realize that they landed Yaro Duvalko this past signing period, but still no reason to not try to land a local talent like Justin Lamson.

Last edited:
So let’s say you are on scholarship at cal poly.... what does this mean? Couple that with schools are going to be in horrible financial position. Worse than imaginable.
I imagine it won’t be the Cal Poly’s of the CSU system that drives this. I would think the G5 Mountain West teams of Fresno State, San Diego State and San Jose State with major television revenue at risk will be the ones with the most say. Add Power 5 schools UCLA and Cal if the UC schools follow suit understanding that both those schools are on less than solid financial bases.

Seems like Lamson had an informal offer from sac state for awhile. Taylor was at a lot of games and knows coaching staff there well. Gotta be more to this story. I’m just furious it’s looking like we might not be able to watch any of these kids this season.
(I pray I’m wrong)

I will say the current staff at Sac State has been more proactive in the area. Could of been a silent offer to Lamson for whatever reason.

I imagine Troy Taylor selling to a QB is a hard thing to pass up

Seems like Lamson had an informal offer from sac state for awhile. Taylor was at a lot of games and knows coaching staff there well. Gotta be more to this story. I’m just furious it’s looking like we might not be able to watch any of these kids this season.
(I pray I’m wrong)
There you go Larry legend33....Louisville offer

I would imagine more Power 5 schools jump in now. Still a very interesting recruitment based on his junior year.

Nice call on him early @larry legend33

Thx streak. The kid works hard and is a warrior. I’m happy for him. Yeah gotta think a few big guys jump in now.

That's one of many things I dislike about recruiting. The more heralded programs jumping in late to steal a prospect from a lesser heralded program that was in on the kid much, much earlier.

I get that it's the world we live in, but I can still hate it. ;)

I wasn't ever a highly recruited prospect. but if I ever had been, that'd been something that would have rubbed me the wrong way. Kinda like the hot girl in HS only having interest in you once you've got a GF or hit sudden popularity on your own.

I'm the type that would have shown loyalty to those that showed it in me first. The only school that might have got away with it was my boyhood love of Ohio State. Even then, I'd have thought long and hard about flipping.

I have no idea which P5 programs Justin Lamson grew up watching or liking, but unless his dream school comes calling late, I hope he takes a chance on one of the programs that are already in on him now versus the late comers.

Just some wishful thinking on my part, I know.

That's one of many things I dislike about recruiting. The more heralded programs jumping in late to steal a prospect from a lesser heralded program that was in on the kid much, much earlier.

I get that it's the world we live in, but I can still hate it. ;)

I wasn't ever a highly recruited prospect. but if I ever had been, that'd been something that would have rubbed me the wrong way. Kinda like the hot girl in HS only having interest in you once you've got a GF or hit sudden popularity on your own.

I'm the type that would have shown loyalty to those that showed it in me first. The only school that might have got away with it was my boyhood love of Ohio State. Even then, I'd have thought long and hard about flipping.

I have no idea which P5 programs Justin Lamson grew up watching or liking, but unless his dream school comes calling late, I hope he takes a chance on one of the programs that are already in on him now versus the late comers.

Just some wishful thinking on my part, I know.

I agree TR. heck I would love for him to stay local and go to sac state. He would be a difference maker early for them. It’s a slimy process to say the least.

If you have major D1 talent why would you aspire to play 1AA? Doesn’t make sense ? If we are talking about only having a Eastern Michigan offer or a New Mexico State offer and a Sac st offer then yeah totally understandable.......but if I got major big time programs calling me up to play for them why would I run away from playing the best to stay home to play against guys I am athletically superior too? If your one of the best then why wouldn’t play against the best ?

Cal Poly is optimistic that they will have students on campus this fall. There aren't a lot of cases in SLO county and they think it should be in phase 3 by the time the term starts at the end of September in which case they'd be able to have at least some in-person classes. The updates are here: https://coronavirus.calpoly.edu/campus-updates

Reactions: MC415
If you have major D1 talent why would you aspire to play 1AA? Doesn’t make sense ? If we are talking about only having a Eastern Michigan offer or a New Mexico State offer and a Sac st offer then yeah totally understandable.......but if I got major big time programs calling me up to play for them why would I run away from playing the best to stay home to play against guys I am athletically superior too? If your one of the best then why wouldn’t play against the best ?

Maybe because they were loyal and close to home? Deshawn Lynch has major d1 talent and be chose to play at sac state. Will it hurt his chances at the combine in several years? I doubt it.
I’m not saying hes going to sac state. Selfishly I would like it. I’m a huge believer now in regardless of where you play if you are talented enough and have the tools it doesn’t matter. They will find you.
Why go somewhere where you are 3rd on the depth chart for 3 years? I don’t know. It’s all perspective and these days the difference between a sac state QB and pAc12 one is a 26 year old recruiter who likes somebody. So many subjective things. It’s the toughest position to project.

At end of day it’s great to have options and I know the kid has put in the time and has finally gotten recognition. Hopefully we can watch all these guys play!

Ofc they will find you if ur a transcending talent but the numbers don’t lie you want to play next level playing D1 is going to help you be on the nfl radar a lot more when your tape is against other nfl talent week in and week out for years......nowadays it’s beyond easy to just transfer back down to 1AA if u get buried on a depth chart without sitting out.......it’s cool to stay home and play 1AA no doubt but I think MOST top tier talent would like to challenge themselves against other elite talent

Actually it makes a lot of sense.
I can list you 4 BIG time recruits to D1 marquis schools who either a) carried a clipboard 90% of the time or b) jumped ship pronto when they realized a) was on the horizon. NONE played Not For Long and one made it to a practice squad in the Cold Football League.

Its about the education....well at least for 99.7% of college grads.

There are a lot of reasons, actually. I just gave one.

Not every athlete feels the need to front run to one of the perceived best programs. Many or most do, but some value fit and relationships with coaches more than simply joining the biggest winner or most prestigious program they can find. And some are loyal to those that identified and believed in them first. That’s exactly how I am, and how my son is.

Some might enjoy the challenge of making their own mark and/or putting a lesser program on the map. Also, the allure of immediate PT versus possibly paying dues sitting the bench for a program with much deeper talent often factors in.

While this example doesn’t perfectly qualify, because both are top flight programs, it does show the mindset I’m talking about. The example is Bo Jackson.

Along with the lack of a promise of immediate PT from Coach Bear Bryant, one of the deciding factors in deciding to attend Auburn instead of Bama was something the legendary coach said to him:

“Bo, let me tell you something. Auburn hasn’t beaten Alabama since 1972. And they never will,”

That was enough to intrigue a true competitor such as Bo to go the perceived more difficult route.
I always liked and respected that about him.

....... And some are loyal to those that identified and believed in them first. That’s exactly how I am, and how my son is.
........Also, the allure of immediate PT versus possibly paying dues sitting the bench for a program with much deeper talent often factors in.

Amen to that....walked down that road and Jr graduated in 4 years, top of his class, was on the travelling team from the moment he landed on campus and was 1st 2 year team captain and the school Big 10 rep after not choosing two PAC 12 offers and an invite to an Ivy. He chose grinding over glory of which he is still benefiting to this day.

Not every athlete feels the need to front run to one of the perceived best programs. Many or most do, but some value fit and relationships with coaches more than simply joining the biggest winner or most prestigious program they can find. And some are loyal to those that identified and believed in them first. That’s exactly how I am, and how my son is.

Some might enjoy the challenge of making their own mark and/or putting a lesser program on the map. Also, the allure of immediate PT versus possibly paying dues sitting the bench for a program with much deeper talent often factors in.

While this example doesn’t perfectly qualify, because both are top flight programs, it does show the mindset I’m talking about. The example is Bo Jackson.

Along with the lack of a promise of immediate PT from Coach Bear Bryant, one of the deciding factors in deciding to attend Auburn instead of Bama was something the legendary coach said to him:

“Bo, let me tell you something. Auburn hasn’t beaten Alabama since 1972. And they never will,”

That was enough to intrigue a true competitor such as Bo to go the perceived more difficult route.
I always liked and respected that about him.

yeah I get it lots of them are cute stories and all........I mean I wish every stud in the Bay Area stayed loyal to be home and played at Cal, but let’s be real look at the rivals or 247 top 100 California rankings 99.9% of the time none are rejecting P5 or D1 offer to stay home to play for their local 1AA or D2 program because that coach offered them early on? Out of loyalty ?

I think it’s a lot more fun to see a local kid playing on Saturday’s on National TV showing the entire country their talent and that Nor Cal kids can play with the best...and if your a legit P5 talent with aspirations of playing at the next level then the percentages tell you MOST ( yes there is always a few one offs and cool stories) NFL players from P5 schools then G5 before you get into FCS and D2 schools

so like the Ngata should have turned down Clemson to stay loyal to Taylor and play at Sac St and get immediate PT? Jonah Williams? Ian Book should have turned down Notre Dame to stay local get immediate PT at UC Davis?

but end of the day if you can play and get college paid for no matter at what level that’s awesome ! And do whatever fits you the best with your situation

yeah I get it lots of them are cute stories and all........I mean I wish every stud in the Bay Area stayed loyal to be home and played at Cal, but let’s be real look at the rivals or 247 top 100 California rankings 99.9% of the time none are rejecting P5 or D1 offer to stay home to play for their local 1AA or D2 program because that coach offered them early on? Out of loyalty ?

I think it’s a lot more fun to see a local kid playing on Saturday’s on National TV showing the entire country their talent and that Nor Cal kids can play with the best...and if your a legit P5 talent with aspirations of playing at the next level then the percentages tell you MOST ( yes there is always a few one offs and cool stories) NFL players from P5 schools then G5 before you get into FCS and D2 schools

so like the Ngata should have turned down Clemson to stay loyal to Taylor and play at Sac St and get immediate PT? Jonah Williams? Ian Book should have turned down Notre Dame to stay local get immediate PT at UC Davis?

but end of the day if you can play and get college paid for no matter at what level that’s awesome ! And do whatever fits you the best with your situation

You’re making arguments nobody is opposing.

You asked the question why some blue chip athletes might choose a different path. We simply provided some viable reasons.

Clearly you would opt to go the more popular route. But not everyone is like you.

Hell, the same applies to academics. There are kids that choose to forgo opportunities at prestigious IVY level institutions. Often for similar reasons as blue chip athletes.

Perhaps they prefer to stay closer to home. Perhaps they just don’t like the fit or surroundings. There can be a myriad of reasons.

For marquee athletes hoping to go pro, playing for a marquee program is nowhere near as important as it used to be. Technology and scouting is at a point where any worthwhile player will be discovered.

While your competitive reason is valid for many, some people place more importance on factors such as relationships, fit, location, or even loyalty.

As I alluded to earlier, I’m the type that would be very likely to commit to coaches and a program that showed faith in me long before anyone else did — assuming I developed a good relationship with them and liked the location and fit. If all those boxes checked, a more prestigious marquee P5 program would have a low chance, if any, of luring me away late in the game.

During my time as a player and coach, I’ve known others that were like that too and made decisions based off similar ideals and beliefs.

In the end, I support these kids choosing whatever is in their heart. They’re the ones living the life.

As a fan, I just know and can speak toward what I prefer to see. And I find it refreshing when kids don’t choose to front run to marquee programs. I think it’s a much larger challenge to try to win and build a brand elsewhere. But that’s just me.

Maybe because they were loyal and close to home? Deshawn Lynch has major d1 talent and be chose to play at sac state. Will it hurt his chances at the combine in several years? I doubt it.!

I’ve often thought of it this way, and told my son this back during his HS days.

Anyone can go to an established winner and become yet another in a very long list of successful players. But what about making a splash for a program that has yet to build or forge that same type of identity? There can be something appealing about sparking the fire and being one of the first links in the chain.

Both as a player and coach, I always preferred the idea and challenge of building a program rather than caretaking an existing one. If a player or coach is gifted enough, they have the power to really do something special.

For example, I really respect what Chris Petersen and a few of his predecessors built at Boise State — along with the players that helped start that fire when they could have gone to more prestigious programs.

IMO, if he decides to stick it out and see it through, Troy Taylor and staff have a unique opportunity to try to create something themselves at Sac State rather than just become another link in a long chain at some other already established program. Which path will leave a more lasting legacy?

To accomplish it, Coach Taylor and staff are gonna have to convince more and more players like DeShawn Lynch to see that vision as well. The odds are long, but it can happen. Like it has for Boise State — who was an FCS program and in the Big Sky themselves just a little over 20 years ago.

Wow...Things have really picked up for him. Now comes the tough part. I would say if there were camps this summer he would have had a few pAc12 offers but given how strange things are he’s adjusted well and leveraged a great jr year and strong offseason of hard work to put himself into this position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT