ADVERTISEMENT

Rancho vs Newman part 3?

MJ2014

Sports Fanatic
Mar 17, 2014
will these two teams likely meet again? If so, who will be the favorite for this final matchup?

Encinal and Eureka wont be an easy out I think for either one, but I like them both advancing with CN winning the rubber match to play BOD in the finals

Looks like it will be 3 games. That is a tough thing when both teams will know each other so well. Tough enough in a rematch. Wondering if this has ever happen in a season where teams face each other 3 times in the section.

Looks like it will be 3 games. That is a tough thing when both teams will know each other so well. Tough enough in a rematch. Wondering if this has ever happen in a season where teams face each other 3 times in the section.
Both teams have a lot of footage on each other. If I were RC I would make sure we take away Newman's read option. If I'm Newman I'm taking away RC's passing game. I'm giving Newman the win in game-3 for the simple fact I don't believe RC has an answer to their read option.

Newman and Rancho will advance comfortably. I doubt either Encinal or Eureka stay within 3 scores.

Rubbermatch is a toss up but hard to go against Cronin. I actually think it's MC vs Newman in finals like the good ole days. Odowd will figure out how to lose with all that talelent. I wouldn't put it past Rancho , Newman, or MC to beat them.

Great article. This will be one of the best games in Norcal by 2 great programs. I think Cronin and crew get it done and advance to the NCS finals. Newman riding on emotional high and doesn't want the journey to end.

Reactions: bella123
Rancho 71 yard pass 28- 22 3:06 left missed PAT after unsportsmanlike penalty after TD pushed attempt back

Newman 42 yard pass for a score 29-28 Newman 1:32 left. A ton of time left for Simmons.

The young man was trying to waste time by standing outside the endzone, there was 0 taunting. Hats off To Newman, they deserve this, but uncomfortable with that call in that situation.

Yeah wasn’t sure if that was the reason for the unsportsmanlike call or if something was said? If that was the reason for the call then bad call. No taunting at all, just a heady play to try and burn some time.

The young man was trying to waste time by standing outside the endzone, there was 0 taunting. Hats off To Newman, they deserve this, but uncomfortable with that call in that situation.

Yeah wasn’t sure if that was the reason for the unsportsmanlike call or if something was said? If that was the reason for the call then bad call. No taunting at all, just a heady play to try and burn some time.

I was standing along the JC field fenceline in the exact spot it happened, when the flag was thrown I assumed it was on Newman, they were very upset at the RC WR for standing at the 1 and it looked like it was a flag on a late hit. Was shocked at the call, was 30 ft away and heard nothing. My dad is CIF referee and 2 officials from his district did this game. Will get more info after his department breaks down film. Once again hats off to Newman, just left a bad taste in many people mouths

I was standing along the JC field fenceline in the exact spot it happened, when the flag was thrown I assumed it was on Newman, they were very upset at the RC WR for standing at the 1 and it looked like it was a flag on a late hit. Was shocked at the call, was 30 ft away and heard nothing. My dad is CIF referee and 2 officials from his district did this game. Will get more info after his department breaks down film. Once again hats off to Newman, just left a bad taste in many people mouths

Ok we were in the same area then, north side of the bleachers on the Newman side. People I was with and I figured it was something away from the goal line tightrope and what he did was not a penalty?

Ok we were in the same area then, north side of the bleachers on the Newman side. People I was with and I figured it was something away from the goal line tightrope and what he did was not a penalty?

Yeah I basically walked in the entrance by the parking garage and walked straight ahead to the fenceline and stood there the whole game. I feel like a point of emphasis for the officials was to control the emotional aspect of this rivalry by nipping chippiness in the bud with quick flags, and I thought they did a brilliant job up until that call. That's my only explanation, because in all my years watching football I've never seen a ref in this level of game willing to make a call of that magnitude when the context of the call is that deep in a gray area. I feel robbed of most likely multiple overtimes.

Possibly, although no guarantee Rancho makes the PAT without the penalty. They missed the first one as well without a penalty marched off.

But if the unsportsmanlike penalty was for the running off of the clock, then very bad call. It was right in front of me and just a good football play (we now penalize kids for playing smart??)

Guys, did it really determine the outcome? I mean newman still had to get the ball back down a TD and score. I had a feeling it would be Newman vs ODOWD in the finals. We will see what MC has to say about that. The dream season continues. Def not one of newman's most talented teams but they seem to find a way to overcome it with will. Happy for those kids and I have a lot of respect for Rancho. I hope Simmons finds home in college.

Simmons can flat out sling it. Rancho outplayed them for about 40 minutes of the game. Newman was tight and sloppy (very uncharacteristic). But regrouped when they needed to.

Yeah not sure if the penalty changed the outcome, but just the fact it was called was brutal.

I think MC’s only chance is to outscore O’Dowd. They got the QB who can do that. But their D is suspect and I don’t see them stopping O’Dowd.

Reactions: Sonoma_County_Bear
Guys, did it really determine the outcome? I mean newman still had to get the ball back down a TD and score. I had a feeling it would be Newman vs ODOWD in the finals. We will see what MC has to say about that. The dream season continues. Def not one of newman's most talented teams but they seem to find a way to overcome it with will. Happy for those kids and I have a lot of respect for Rancho. I hope Simmons finds home in college.

Im not sure if it determined the outcome, but it's the fact that we have to ask. If Rancho converts a 15 yd PAT does CN go for 2 if they score? Do they tie it up and trade blows in OT? Did we miss out on potentially one of the greatest games of the last few years? Im not sure, that's why im bummed. Im sure @bella123 can tell you it looked like it was going to be an absolute shootout if you were there for that 4th qtr, simply bummed I possibly missed out on some excellent, intense, absolute heart on the line leave it all on the field football.

Reactions: bella123
Ok watched it live and was sober at the time. Just watched the replay and again now am sober. Dardis may want to look really really hard into that officiating crew!!!

Reactions: observer22
It looks like Barrington can sling it well also. When he gets his feet set he throws a nice ball. I guess you take the positive and Newman comes away with a "W" after playing sloppy. Would like to hear who Simmons is getting recruited by? Looks to be the real deal.

Great comeback by CN, but that’s one of the worst calls I can remember at such a crucial point in the game. Maybe the Tuck rule? CN and NE still had to bust their @$$e$ to come back, but a call like that helps swing the momentum. The guy did nothing wrong there, and it was actually a smart play. No different than a punter running around back there to run off clock before taking an intentional safety (or then getting tackled at the 1 ).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT