ADVERTISEMENT

Revenge game for St. Mary's girls vs Pinewood?

Neenah still can’t make her 3’s and Pinewood comes back and hits a 3. Seems to be a pattern of sorts. Back to 5 pt game with 4:09 left.

Pinewood #11 fouls out.

St. Mary’s still can’t hit the 3, but Aquira there to rebound, gets fouled, and hits her FT’s. Back to 3pt game with just over 3 min left.

Pinewood calls a timeout to avoid a travel call. After a couple defensive exchanges (no baskets), Pinewood loses another player due to foul trouble.

Aquira put back gets the Rams to within 1. With one of Pinewoods guards fouling out, its getting harder to bring the ball up the court. The Rams press is back at work.

#31 of St Mary gets a putback to pull with 1, Pinewood time out due to Rams pressure, 57-56 Inewood 1:15 left

Shot-clock violation. Rams get a shot at it.... nope. Rams get ball back again... No dice.

30 sec clock. Ram basketball with 50 sec left. Rams not able to score.

Pinewood turns it over again on travel call. Press is working, but not all the way as St. Mary’s offense just not there tonight.

Aquira with the foul on the rebound. 19.9 sec left with Pinewoood holding onto the 1 point lead and about to shoot some FT’s.

FT no good. Johnson fouled and will shoot 2. She misses both. Pinewood back at the line and makes both. St Mary’s with 6.7 sec left but somehow does not go for 3. Smh. Pinewood wins 59-56.

Pinewood two FT’s... first good... 2nd good... 6 seconds left, St Mary charges down floor, down 3, inexplicably tries 2-pointers twice... No good. Pinewood is in the Final!

Reactions: basketba11
The Rams definitely had their chances. Just couldn’t hit the shots on offense. Pinewood again just a better shooting team.

Maybe Pinewood should request the NorCal championship game be played at Blanchard Gym?

Congrats Pinewood!

Hoping the SM boys don’t have the same issues shooting the ball, here at Blanchard. Up next vs Campolindo.

SMS stays in it with offensive boards. Decosta brings all-american stuff. terrific 4th quarter, tossup under 1:00. Pinewood hangs on. congratulations Pinewood. they played a great game.

Last edited:
Looks like revenge wasn't much of a motivator. Score another one for Doc. Wow! No one saw the first one coming. This one was in plain sight. SMS didn't respect PW and paid the price.

I agree ... Pinewood certainly can win, but the more likely winner is SMS. (At this point in the season, every team left is a confident, good team, and quite capable of taking advantage of a situation and winning a game most people thought it would lose.)
Unofficial shooting from 3... Pinewood 9 of 19, SM 2 of 15.
Congratulations to Doc Scheppler and his Pinewood Panthers as they advance to NorCal Open Division Championship vs winner of Salesian-Mitty. Pinewood
will return everyone next season except for their PG, Claros.

Congrats Doc and Pdub girls. You came ready to play, laced them up and delivered your 'A' game. Good luck in Norcal open finals. Well deserved.

Well another rematch with Mitty. Monarchs hammered Salesian by 25. I don't see PW beating Mitty. But you never know what the good Doctor has up his sleeve. Bye Bye Saint Mary's

Pinewood, facing some seemingly impossible match-ups, made a player-to-player work with great help and rotation. somebody musta taught them good. warms an old school heart.

Thanks for the updates -- sounds like a great game.

Congrats to Doc, and also to SMS. Another great year for Tom and his players. I feel bad for those seniors, but at this point in the season, one team always ends in tears.

Reactions: pdubpadre
Guess the longer layoff for Pinewood (bye game) didn't hurt them, maybe even game them extra time to prepare for St Marys. Coaching staff for Pinewood, very impressive game plan and win. Too bad earning home court advantage wasn't actually having an advantage at all since the game was moved to Delta. I don't think enough emphasis is given to this. The seedings are so important for many teams because it means the difference between playing at home versus traveling to play away. In my opinion, I don't think Pinewood wins this game if it is at St Marys gym. I could be wrong, but playing in your home gym is a very big advantage, especially in big games.

While I agree that playing at your home court is a big advantage, if you can’t win a game on a neutral site, especially one in your city where the other team travels 2 hours to get to, maybe you lost to a better team? There was plenty of emphasis given to the gym location, just look at all the comments in this thread.

Personally, I think all Open games should be played at neutral sites.

Reactions: pdubpadre
Sorry, there are no excuses at this juncture in the campaign. At some point, even Pinewood skeptics are going to have to concede that, yes, the Los Altos Hills outfit, which continues to win on the road or at home, is the best girls' hoops program in NorCal _ with one notable exception, Archbishop Mitty. And the Monarchs, again, loom on the horizon in the NorCal Open Division final Saturday at SCU. But it has become obvious now that St. Mary's is a clear step or two behind both of the Central Coast Section powerhouses.

a game decided in the final 10 seconds isn't a clear step, let alone two. but Pinewood moves on, deservedly.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnBall8
I'm very surprised Pinewood didn't move into the Xcellent 25. They have lost only to Mitty (#1 in every poll) and Salesian. And before anyone jumps in and says the Salesian loss is a "bad" loss, take a look at Salesian's MaxPreps ranking. They're #29 in the country and #8 in the state. There are several teams in the Xcellent 25 that have worse losses than Pinewood's loss to Salesian. They should have been in Clay.

Pinewood has defeated SMS twice in three years, both times in Stockton. What more can they do to make it obvious they are the better program today?

Clay, since you want my input for your limited word count, mention that it is the only school in the known universe (or, maybe, known school) that observes homecoming at a girls' basketball game. may not still be true (was 10 years ago), but it spices up the story anyway. and if it's not true, they should switch it back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT