ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan's Rich Buckner Out as Coach

I think Riordan should go co-ed. How long before Riordan and Mercy bleed to death? I hate to see good schools just dissolve.

My prediction,
Coach Will Watkins will be the new coach at Riordan, Vittorio will create a non teaching special position like Campus activities director or Summer Camp director and that will be just enough to justify the release of Buckner and fulfill "on campus coach" How many on campus coaches at Riordan are actually teachers? Anyone know or have a number?

My prediction,
Coach Will Watkins will be the new coach at Riordan, Vittorio will create a non teaching special position like Campus activities director or Summer Camp director and that will be just enough to justify the release of Buckner and fulfill "on campus coach" How many on campus coaches at Riordan are actually teachers? Anyone know or have a number?

Peralta taught religion while serving as HC for the football team. Current coach McLaughlin also teaches Science. LyRyan is a school counselor.

My prediction,
And sadly there is a precedence with that, as Riordan's Baseball Coach is "Full Time" on campus, when they created a "Field Maintenance" position for him.o_O

And sadly there is a precedence with that, as Riordan's Baseball Coach is "Full Time" on campus, when they created a "Field Maintenance" position for him.o_O
Is he responsible for watching the automatic sprinklers? Lol! I guess they do need someone to line the fields.
I heard there's about 20 coaches (incl assistants, strength and conditioning, etc.) full-time admin/staff.

I think Riordan should go co-ed. How long before Riordan and Mercy bleed to death? I hate to see good schools just dissolve.
Iamgearyblvd, where is it that you know both schools are bleeding to death? Sure, the athletics program is facing daunting challenges and trying to get back to relevance in all sports, but do you know these schools will be closing their doors? Please do not spew this type of information if there are no current facts to back up your claim.

high schools will always have the sports program unless they run out of money. Not going to run out of money for the big 3. Football, Basketball and Baseball.

Are there players in the city ? how come Riordan and SHC have been struggling recently? How did Barbour get so many great players at SHC?

Barbour established a pipeline with the SF Rebels AAU club. They have been sending players to SH for years, players such as Johns, Otis, Pratt. Parsons all came from there if I recall correctly.

Fox and Petroni all played for a former classmate of mine, Marty Arenas, as part of St. Mary's park team.

Iamgearyblvd, where is it that you know both schools are bleeding to death? Sure, the athletics program is facing daunting challenges and trying to get back to relevance in all sports, but do you know these schools will be closing their doors? Please do not spew this type of information if there are no current facts to back up your claim.

I will tell you what a principal told me that Oakland will be closing 5 Catholic grammar schools end of this school year. http://kron4.com/2017/01/19/video-5...schools-closing-due-to-decline-in-enrollment/

Of course this is Oakland and not SF but SF has seen its share of closures due to enrollment. Would you say Riordan's enrollment has been boosted by the international admissions? Would they be in trouble if they did not have these admissions?

My prediction,

Not going to happen!

I will tell you what a principal told me that Oakland will be closing 5 Catholic grammar schools end of this school year. http://kron4.com/2017/01/19/video-5...schools-closing-due-to-decline-in-enrollment/

Of course this is Oakland and not SF but SF has seen its share of closures due to enrollment. Would you say Riordan's enrollment has been boosted by the international admissions? Would they be in trouble if they did not have these admissions?

That program, in which foreign students pay double for room and board, subsidizes the rest of the school's operations. Without it, well, it probably would be adios, Crusaders.

On a side note, WCAL officials, as part of the league's observation of its 50th anniversary, are taking a long, hard look at such matters as Riordan's viability as a complete athletic program. Football, as you might expect, is one focus. And that certainly includes SHC too.

Is he responsible for watching the automatic sprinklers? Lol! I guess they do need someone to line the fields.
I heard there's about 20 coaches (incl assistants, strength and conditioning, etc.) full-time admin/staff.
When its cut into a baseball diamond, yes, since that Development Plan for Field Turf still hasnt materialized :rolleyes: he also was the point man for the new Riordan Basketball locker room done a few years ago, so I guess theyre getting their money's worth ;)

On a side note, WCAL officials, as part of the league's observation of its 50th anniversary, are taking a long, hard look at such matters as Riordan's viability as a complete athletic program. Football, as you might expect, is one focus. And that certainly includes SHC too.

The football talent is disparaging. I can only see a continued downward trend for SH and Riordan. You cannot compete against those behemoths in the south bay with their dominant offensive/defensive lines. Kids are going to get seriously hurt and when those injuries add up, parents will be reluctant to have their kids play those sports. And lets not forget families are moving out of SF. There are more dogs in the city than kids. No kids = no participation = no teams.

The football talent is disparaging. I can only see a continued downward trend for SH and Riordan. You cannot compete against those behemoths in the south bay with their dominant offensive/defensive lines. Kids are going to get seriously hurt and when those injuries add up, parents will be reluctant to have their kids play those sports. And lets not forget families are moving out of SF. There are more dogs in the city than kids. No kids = no participation = no teams.

The Riordan community is very excited about the vitality of the school moving forward, whether you are speaking to its economic strength and strategy or if you speak of its athletics, Riordan is Riordan, the place where young men turn into men. We have many great athletes at Riordan that need to be developed and shown a purpose and a plan so their individual talent has a chance to come together and become a team.

For the record I am not happy about coach Buckner being dismissed, he is a true Crusader and a great mentor and coach to so many who came through his program. He will be missed and I wish him happiness and success and his next endeavor.
A little advice: you are a young man, relax watch the landscape and learn from it, then when you get back in, it's on your terms.
Nothing will replace the purple and gold, but there is a place out there if you want it.
I know

Now all you naysayers,
You shouid stop by Riordan, take a tour of the school, witness first hand what is happening there, then I challenge you to write about our so called demise.

Reactions: jordan24
Just a thought, I've read in Sports Illustrated how the South Pacific/Australia may be the new breeding ground for IMG Prep Academy. Maybe Riordan's International Boarding Program should hit the South Pacific, bring in a few more Polys to play the line...and yes, more than likely they could not afford this, but there is Financial Aid. And as I've said before there is no better free advertisement than a successful Athletic Program in the 3 major sports.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/03/07/daniel-faalele-img-academy-recruiting

Reactions: 5MatchUp
Just a thought, I've read in Sports Illustrated how the South Pacific/Australia may be the new breeding ground for IMG Prep Academy. Maybe Riordan's International Boarding Program should hit the South Pacific, bring in a few more Polys to play the line...and yes, more than likely they could not afford this, but there is Financial Aid. And as I've said before there is no better free advertisement than a successful Athletic Program in the 3 major sports.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/03/07/daniel-faalele-img-academy-recruiting

The whole point of the boarding program is to generate excess income to subsidize the rest of the school's efforts. Cutting room/board costs for football players would be the exact opposite. It's a non-starter.

The whole point of the boarding program is to generate excess income to subsidize the rest of the school's efforts. Cutting room/board costs for football players would be the exact opposite. It's a non-starter.

Riordan already started with the Freshman Basketball player he lives on campus and is from East Bay. Its not a non starter its already occurring.

Don't forget that ICA (formerly of WBAL / now in the AAA) still remains as an all girls schools, along with Convent of the Sacred Heart. Stuart Hall High looked like it might close a while back but remained open as well.

One guy maybe. A bunch, no way. The boarding program is keeping Riordan afloat financially.
When the school figures out how to utilize the boarding school for athletes, watch out. CIF is voting I believe this week on allowing athletically motivated transfers to occur.... that will change the landscape.

I think this is a horrible move by Riordan (now ARHS). As a long time alum and supporter of the school and athletic program I can't say I was happy about hearing this. RB had little to work with in terms of collective talent over the last couple years and with the pieces he did have, he did what he could. With the exception of a few years over the last 5 he has been outsized in the WCAL by the other schools yet Riordan was still competitive. Even this year, games were close until the later part of the 2nd half until lack of bench depth and fatigue factored in.

Reactions: jordan24 and OneDNA
The Riordan community is very excited about the vitality of the school moving forward, whether you are speaking to its economic strength and strategy or if you speak of its athletics, Riordan is Riordan, the place where young men turn into men. We have many great athletes at Riordan that need to be developed and shown a purpose and a plan so their individual talent has a chance to come together and become a team.

For the record I am not happy about coach Buckner being dismissed, he is a true Crusader and a great mentor and coach to so many who came through his program. He will be missed and I wish him happiness and success and his next endeavor.
A little advice: you are a young man, relax watch the landscape and learn from it, then when you get back in, it's on your terms.
Nothing will replace the purple and gold, but there is a place out there if you want it.
I know

Now all you naysayers,
You shouid stop by Riordan, take a tour of the school, witness first hand what is happening there, then I challenge you to write about our so called demise.
Agreed - Riordan has made great strides in improving the campus, the professionalism of the fundraising staff and increasing enrollment in a city that is plagued with a mass exodus of working class to middle class families.
Riordan has managed to find a niche at a time when other schools have sold out to the affluent Northbay....can anyone say Marin Catholic South for a place located out in the avenues. Athletics aside, I hope the tradition of the Marianist education continues in SF with ARHS.

Congrats to Coach Rich Buckner hired as the new St. Marys of Berkeley coach!
That's a great hire by St. Mary's and he's going to a school with a Riordan Alum as the Principal - I am sure Dr. P Imperial was key in this hire. Pete was an awesome teacher and was fortunate to be a Riordan when he was there. Happy for Rich! but sad to see him ousted

That's a great hire by St. Mary's and he's going to a school with a Riordan Alum as the Principal - I am sure Dr. P Imperial was key in this hire. Pete was an awesome teacher and was fortunate to be a Riordan when he was there. Happy for Rich! but sad to see him ousted
Congrats to Coach Buck! I thought St. Mary's would be a great opportunity for him. All the best! Go Panthers!

Reactions: remc and Da Head C
Bad move by the administration. Buckner was a solid guy. And he landed on his feet. He got the St Mary's job. The Riordan
coaching hire will be very important. I hope they hire the right person. They got some young talent in the 9th grade and a very good incoming class.

Will any of the lower level coaches at Riordan take over? I am sure they are loyal to Buckner.
Where is Coach Barbour when you need him? He did a great job at SHC

Agreed - Riordan has made great strides in improving the campus, the professionalism of the fundraising staff and increasing enrollment in a city that is plagued with a mass exodus of working class to middle class families.
Riordan has managed to find a niche at a time when other schools have sold out to the affluent Northbay....can anyone say Marin Catholic South for a place located out in the avenues. Athletics aside, I hope the tradition of the Marianist education continues in SF with ARHS.
For the upcoming school year, Riordan will be at full enrollment at 720 with a sizable waiting list. Back in the day, Riordan's enrollment was 1,000+, but with the focus on reduced class size this is now the school's capacity. Fundraising is at an all-time high thanks to the Business Development Director that has been on board the past 2 years and focus was to never turn down a student due to financial hardship. The Boarding program has been accepting domestic students willing to pay. In fact, there was a student from Hillsborough that went through the program. With the current administration's immigration/visa stance and geopolitical landscape, efforts have stepped up to further open up the domestic boarding program. Interesting you reference Marin Catholic South for our friends in the Avenues, I believe Riordan can be considered the Catholic Poly Technical High of San Francisco based on its honors engineering, auto, computer engineering and robotics tracks now being offered. The Honors engineering track is a key attraction for the International students given the proximity to Silicon Valley, Stanford and Cal. With the Boarding program and Academic strategy set, the focus now is upgrading its athletics program and infrastructure.
As an alum, I am disappointed in seeing Coach Buck let go that way, but this is the School's direction on having its Varsity coaches on as full time staff/faculty. Will be interesting to see who the next coach will be.

Last edited:
Bad move by the administration. Buckner was a solid guy. And he landed on his feet. He got the St Mary's job. The Riordan
coaching hire will be very important. I hope they hire the right person. They got some young talent in the 9th grade and a very good incoming class.
I heard they have a good incoming class. Any specifics on incoming frosh?

Well they have a lot of two sport athletes coming in...As the school tries to revamp its football program. But they have a 6 foot 4 big coming in and some other good players..

As i said. The school needs a to either hire the JV COACH or someone in the program that knows the current players. If they bring in new blood bring in a dynamic hire... Someone who is gonna be all in to rebuilding the basketball program. Not someone trying to collect an extra check...because that is not gonna work...

Reactions: jordan24
Take the approach used across the Bay at DeLa Salle. They rarely have more than Division 1 level player on their teams, but continue to win

De La Salle has had more division 1 basketball players in there program than almost any other school over the last ten to fifteen years...they get players in there. Do your research...

My prediction,
Coach Will Watkins will be the new coach at Riordan, Vittorio will create a non teaching special position like Campus activities director or Summer Camp director and that will be just enough to justify the release of Buckner and fulfill "on campus coach" How many on campus coaches at Riordan are actually teachers? Anyone know or have a number?[/QUOTE
This is Harbaugh 2. Don't have a viable in house coach in waiting, so you force out a coach who has been at the school for 19 years hoping to find a teacher who can coach. And, you are going to find the next Mike Krzyzewski, paying the low salaries Riordan offers who can find housing in the city or close by. Good luck! Can you say the new VC of the WCAL. Absolutely ludicrous decision. If I am a school in need of a great coach, I would give Buck a call. If you need his number let me know.

How's that search going Riordan? Any qualified teachers who can coach? It appears the few targeted candidates have all passed. Riordan Alum, will it be Watkins, JV coach or former freshman coach and current counselor Danny Arias? JV coach is off campus along with Watkins? If Riordan sticks to its word about on campus hire than it appears Arias is leading the pack. Meanwhile St. Mary's gets 19 year WCAL veteran Rich Buckner.

How's that search going Riordan? Any qualified teachers who can coach? It appears the few targeted candidates have all passed. Riordan Alum, will it be Watkins, JV coach or former freshman coach and current counselor Danny Arias? JV coach is off campus along with Watkins? If Riordan sticks to its word about on campus hire than it appears Arias is leading the pack. Meanwhile St. Mary's gets 19 year WCAL veteran Rich Buckner.
Good question. Not seeing anyone on the current staff as head coach material. As mentioned, great to see Coach Buck land at St. Mary's.
Question: Where is Barbour? Is he still on faculty @ SHC? Surprised he has not landed anywhere.

@DocHoop That was an emotional knee jerk reaction he probably should have waited to post.
@Col Henry What is the origin of your animosity that allows you to spread misinformation about ARHS? They are doing very well with fundraising and new enrollment and they are putting in a new gym floor and other upgrades as well this summer.
@jp24 You have a particular area of expertise. Evaluating new and current coaches doesn't seem to be your strong suit. About the same as the average bleacher sitting parent.
That being said the On Campus requirement limits the search to guys needing a job. The rumored list of potential on-campus candidates includes unremarkable names none of which seems to fit ARHS and some basketball camp guru. I hope there is a secret candidate in there somewhere. The AD is going to own the new FB and BB coach selections. Let us see how the next two years play out.

@DocHoop That was an emotional knee jerk reaction he probably should have waited to post.
@Col Henry What is the origin of your animosity that allows you to spread misinformation about ARHS? They are doing very well with fundraising and new enrollment and they are putting in a new gym floor and other upgrades as well this summer.
@jp24 You have a particular area of expertise. Evaluating new and current coaches doesn't seem to be your strong suit. About the same as the average bleacher sitting parent.
That being said the On Campus requirement limits the search to guys needing a job. The rumored list of potential on-campus candidates includes unremarkable names none of which seems to fit ARHS and some basketball camp guru. I hope there is a secret candidate in there somewhere. The AD is going to own the new FB and BB coach selections. Let us see how the next two years play out.

It's not animosity. It's the opposite. The overall Riordan athletic program is hurting. It's not healthy for Riordan or the WCAL. For openers, the school doesn't offer a full range of sports. Volleyball, lacrosse and water polo are all MIA. Some sports are varsity only. So far in 2016-17, according to the WCAL website, the combined league won-loss record at the varsity level in the sports Riordan does provide is 8-75. Wrestling is the only sport with a winning varsity record at 5-1 and a tie for first. The other sports, then, are a combined 3-74 in league action. Six of the nine Riordan teams with won-loss league marks were (are) winless. Cross-country does not have a won-loss record. Riordan finished fourth in the WCAL meet. In the WCAL's most visible sports (football, basketball and baseball), the combined varsity league record is 3-26. The situation is not new. This has been an ongoing non-competitive condition at Riordan for years. No one, unless he or she is a diehard critic of the school, is pleased about what's happening on Phelan Avenue.

Where have I ever staked a claim of expertise in evaluating new and current coaches on this Board? Unless one comes out with their real name, like the Doc, it's pure message board material. Colhenry, is not a person that spreads mis-information. If anything, his brutal honesty is only that he wants Riordan to ultimately succeed. Good for the school, good for the WCAL.

Reactions: colhenrylives
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT