ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan's Rich Buckner Out as Coach

Where have I ever staked a claim of expertise in evaluating new and current coaches on this Board? Unless one comes out with their real name, like the Doc, it's pure message board material. Colhenry, is not a person that spreads mis-information. If anything, his brutal honesty is only that he wants Riordan to ultimately succeed. Good for the school, good for the WCAL.

The ultimate goal would be to have the athletic programs at all WCAL schools, boys and girls, to be consistently strong, competitive and resilient. On the 50th anniversary of the league's founding, WCAL authorities are focused on that, Riordan (a charter member of the WCAL) in particular.

Good question. Not seeing anyone on the current staff as head coach material. As mentioned, great to see Coach Buck land at St. Mary's.
Question: Where is Barbour? Is he still on faculty @ SHC? Surprised he has not landed anywhere.
From two different sources I've heard they've contacted 2 PAL Coaches, one from the North (Not the Doctor) and one from the South (He is the Doctor's protege and was an asst for the Doc at Riordan). Think the North coach, somehow garnered an interview. I say somehow, because if you take out the Doctor from the North coaches, look who is left :confused: and the South coach was reached out to, but priced himself out, as he is also a Special Ed teacher and theres no way Riordan would be able to match what his district is paying him. Soooooooo, I guess its back to rolling the dice???

Pretty tough for anyone to leave a full-time gig in a Public School District and give up all the bennies and pension plan.

Reactions: OneDNA
Indeed. The Palo Alto Unified, Sequoia Union and San Mateo Union districts are three of the highest-paying public school districts in the state.

This is Harbaugh 2. Don't have a viable in house coach in waiting, so you force out a coach who has been at the school for 19 years hoping to find a teacher who can coach. And, you are going to find the next Mike Krzyzewski, paying the low salaries Riordan offers who can find housing in the city or close by. Good luck! Can you say the new VC of the WCAL. Absolutely ludicrous decision. If I am a school in need of a great coach, I would give Buck a call. If you need his number let me know.
St. Marys Berkeley could use a varsity basketball coach. What's his number???,lol

Best player from St.Marys transferred to Berkeley.
Berkeley should win NCS D-1 next year with the talent. I should say top 4 but can be anyone.

Yeah....could be Harbaugh 2. They may stumble and get it right. We will know in a few weeks. Well take that back. Next year at this time.

What happened with Battle at SMB? He was an experienced, successful coach, and had seemed like an ideal hire, like Buckner.
Don't know the particulars of that situation. Would like to know. Personally, I don't think that the SMB administration is committed enough to athletic success to give any head coach in football and basketball what they need to ensure successful

Don't know the particulars of that situation. Would like to know. Personally, I don't think that the SMB administration is committed enough to athletic success to give any head coach in football and basketball what they need to ensure successful
Would love to know why the "lack of commitment from administration" is so prevalent in the Greater Bay Area??

Because today's breed of administrators, especially in the public schools, view competitive athletics as more of a curse than a blessing. They are a huge and time-consuming pain in the posterior. They see sports as a depressing buffet of parental complaints, dicey coaching hires, crowd control issues, potential lawsuits, media overload, etc. For administrators, athletics are a no-win deal for the most part. They are more trouble than they're worth.

congrats to Joey Curtin (JV coach) for getting the varsity job. Joey coached at Riordan and played at Riordan.
They are going to be very good next year. THey return 4 starters including the freshmen of the year and Chung who will be one of the better guards in the league.
Menzie is an excellent slasher and Balingit can guard the best player.

Comical. What you have to remember is that SI, Mitty, Serra and Bells all return a very good group of quality players. Unless they get transfers, valley and riordan will be battling for last in the WCAL

Comical. What you have to remember is that SI, Mitty, Serra and Bells all return a very good group of quality players. Unless they get transfers, valley and riordan will be battling for last in the WCAL
Top 4 teams for sure next season. All 4 bring back starters that went deep into the sectional and regional playoffs this year. SI returns all of its starters and also bring up a few talented and tall players from JVs to give them more depth.

Last edited:
Riordan, Valley and SHC will have a triple threat cage match for basement title in the WCAL next year

I heard Nate Robinson is transferring out of SHC, it is his senior year too.. Anyone know or speculate why?

Yes, Nathan Robinson is at Las Lomas, which will be a pretty solid team next year

LL might have 3 division 1 prospects. They also have a great 3pt shooter to support that cast. Unheard of at a public school . With that talent I would put them up as the number one seed in all divisions. Who is better talent wise ? Dublin or Dela? Dublin has one D1 prospect.

I don't know about d1 talent but dublin is loaded with young talent they had
6 very good freshmen that played jv last year combine that with beasley
Neilson and jackson returning they will be solid.I do agree las lomas
will be very good next year and may very well have a deep playoff
run they just have to get some type of inside presence defensively.

Because today's breed of administrators, especially in the public schools, view competitive athletics as more of a curse than a blessing. They are a huge and time-consuming pain in the posterior. They see sports as a depressing buffet of parental complaints, dicey coaching hires, crowd control issues, potential lawsuits, media overload, etc. For administrators, athletics are a no-win deal for the most part. They are more trouble than they're worth.

So, let me get this straight (and because I agree wholeheartedly with this post)...
School administrators are, essentially, screwing over student-athletes at every turn...BUT, they hate AAU and prep schools for giving kids a chance to play and have fun (along with most HS alumni and "observers" when a kid leaves)...AND the CIF votes to "allow" sports transfers and all the "no" votes are in Northern California...
Question, who is supporting the student-athletes????

I agree that Dublin is loaded and might beat LL. As far as seniors that have potentially 3 D-1 players. That is hard to beat. Dublin has one D-1 player and a bevy of D-1 players. Jackson, Neilson, Manning will be nice D-2 players.
Dublin should be the team to beat in D-1 playoffs.

I don't know if they will be the team to beat in d1 being that they will be very young
at the gaurd spots other then jackson but they will have plenty of talent left even though
they are losing falls and houston.

Yes, Nathan Robinson is at Las Lomas, which will be a pretty solid team next year

Ironic in a sense that he has come back home to Las Lomas to complete his high school education and athletics. I guess the grass isn't always greener and sorry for him that it didn't work out for him at SHC.

why are so many players leaving SHC? Hollins , now Robinson
Where are these guys coming from to attend SHC?

I believe so. With all the changes in the transfer rules, the non-league sit out still applies.

They have a weird / new sit out requirement that is something like half the season or something similar so I think it's different than the old available in early January sit out rule. I very well but be misinterpreting but it seemed fairly clear players have to sit out half the season. There is probably some latitude in determining what exactly half a season consists of - i.e., does it include pre-season practice or half the games or some other metric?

To my knowledge, Robinson while attending SH for his 3 years was an east bay resident. Not sure where but for LL thats Walnut Creek. I live in WC and its not the most desired commute day in and day out into SF. LL academically is a very good school. Its public so its free to his parents. Anyone that lives in the Bay Area can appreciate not having to travel far for work or for where their kids go to school. Good luck to Robinson.

Having said that, as long as Emmett Neal is not leaving. Im a happy SH guy.

It's not animosity. It's the opposite. The overall Riordan athletic program is hurting. It's not healthy for Riordan or the WCAL. For openers, the school doesn't offer a full range of sports. Volleyball, lacrosse and water polo are all MIA. Some sports are varsity only. So far in 2016-17, according to the WCAL website, the combined league won-loss record at the varsity level in the sports Riordan does provide is 8-75. Wrestling is the only sport with a winning varsity record at 5-1 and a tie for first. The other sports, then, are a combined 3-74 in league action. Six of the nine Riordan teams with won-loss league marks were (are) winless. Cross-country does not have a won-loss record. Riordan finished fourth in the WCAL meet. In the WCAL's most visible sports (football, basketball and baseball), the combined varsity league record is 3-26. The situation is not new. This has been an ongoing non-competitive condition at Riordan for years. No one, unless he or she is a diehard critic of the school, is pleased about what's happening on Phelan Avenue.

As of May 7, here is the final combined 2016-17 tally for Riordan's won-lost WCAL record in the varsity sports the school offers, according to the league website: 8-88.

Wrestling only team that was successful at all levels with varsity as tri-champs and Frosh taking it outright. Let's see if AD Gilleran's plan will succeed. Still believe attracting talented student-athletes is the key...And I like what I am seeing on Phelan Ave. - The new SF Catholic Poly Tech High!

As of May 7, here is the final combined 2016-17 tally for Riordan's won-lost WCAL record in the varsity sports the school offers, according to the league website: 8-88.

I miss FUBO, where is he to read this especially all the nonsense he talked on these boards for years....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT