ADVERTISEMENT

Robby Beasley to Montana

They really should be ashamed of Themselves that young man
could have helped a few local schools WHO NEED HELP congrats robby best of luck at montana.

Yea, Montana has made a point of targeting the bay for some of our finest.
Assit coach's Jay Flores and Chris Cobb have strong local ties. Timmy Falls and Sayeed Pridgett
were two we lost to them. Can't blame Montana, seems our local colleges don't step up.

Here's wishing you great hoops

I find it hard to believe that he didnt have at least a couple of offers from local programs.
He had more than a couple of offers...my point is these out of state coaches do a better job recruiting NorCal , the Bay , whatever you want to call it than our local Universities. I say this as my son and I are on out of state soil as I type visiting!

I would like to dig a little deeper into
This and step away from the local D1
schools as true D1 Student athletes when
factoring in academics and ability is a
Smaller overall percentage. can somebody please tell me why schools
like san Francisco state, cal state eastbay
Cal state Monterey bay, Chico state
to name a few are not living at salesian,
Moreau, dublin, riordan or o'dowd there
are plenty of OTHER guys in all of these
WINNING programs who could make
a serious impact at the D2 level he'll
I believe Dublin has like 8 or 9 seniors
That are good players in short I am
saying the D2 local colleges should be
just as ashamed because they are really
missing out on quality players.

Reactions: Renard Monroe

I don’t know about the other D2 schools, but Chico St. has been recruiting NorCal players and they’ve done very well with them. They’ve had a ton of Bay Area and NorCal kids for at least the last 10 years. Clink was at the Campo gym last March scouting as Campo put one on Serra in NorCals.

I always wondered the same as well, I wouldn’t leave the Bay Area for the most part if I was these schools

Yeah Chico is all over NorCal. It’s great to see. Clink and crew have built a great program.

Last year alone roster
San Marin
Sheldon
st Mary’s Berkeley
Fortuna
Pondorosa
Monte vista
Jesuit
River City

To name a few.

I can’t comment on the other guys but plenty of D2 talent in this area.

I don’t know about the other D2 schools, but Chico St. has been recruiting NorCal players and they’ve done very well with them. They’ve had a ton of Bay Area and NorCal kids for at least the last 10 years. Clink was at the Campo gym last March scouting as Campo put one on Serra in NorCals.

And they get to camp out at the Gridley Invitational every year.;)

Here's wishing you great hoops

SF State has brought in some local players recently with the Ugbaja cousins, Chiefy and Jiday (Riordan) , Caltacerra sp? (Marin Catholic), etc.

Or maybe those kids just want to leave the safety nest of home and venture out.
At the D2 level you do not have the resources to miss on a recruit too many times. Often they dont feel they have a shot so they do not bother. Also grades and maturity factor in. As well as they know most the kids who leave will come back anyway on transfer so they will wait.

Cal State East Bay is always at local events. Saw them at a few summer tournaments as well.

Reactions: meezymo
Being at local events means nothing
And sprinkling in a local recruit once every three or four years is not recruiting your backyard on a consistent basis. I will give Chico State Credit they have had solid players up there Jalen McFerrin and a host of other players have did well there I am mainly speaking about SF State ,Sonoma State, and Cal State East Bay too many solid Bay Area High School winning programs for them not to recruit this area on a more consistent basis no reason why two solid players like the twins from salesian should not have been recruited Harder by the local schools what did they lose like six games there whole High School career while defending at the highest level possible. back to the original statement by Mr Monroe the local schools should be ashamed of themselves.

Top bay area players would consider San Jose State, USF, St. Marys, Santa Clara if they simply recruited harder? Stop.

Not the top blue blood recruits with major P5 offers but the next level definitely would. Why wouldn’t you want to play at St Mary’s for instance ? Your telling me winning 25 games plus a year and usually playing in the tourney is unattractive? Really what’s unattractive about that? I rather play there 10000000000000% then waste away at Oregon st, wazzu, etc

My other point and it's just my opinion, I never said all the top players from NorCal I said these local Universities should be ashamed of themselves in how they recruit the area. I see how they pop their head in the gym and I see how aggressive the out of state schools are with these players. I have been blessed enough to coach a few kids that have been recruited heavily and I have been the first contact as I was their AAU coach. It's just my observation. I agree with you that some of those schools are a hard sell but as you teach athletes...the one thing you can't coach that has to come from within is "EFFORT"!

No excuse for the local D1 schools (SJSU, USF, SMC, Cal , Stanford and SCU) to not invest in recruiting in Nor Cal. It’s not like they’re on any out of state’s top national recruit’s radar.
Agree with “build it and they will come.” Imagine The local schools building a winning program, using the the SAP Center, Chase Center, even the old Oracle for headline matchups!

No excuse for the local D1 schools (SJSU, USF, SMC, Cal , Stanford and SCU) to not invest in recruiting in Nor Cal. It’s not like they’re on any out of state’s top national recruit’s radar.
Agree with “build it and they will come.” Imagine The local schools building a winning program, using the the SAP Center, Chase Center, even the old Oracle for headline matchups!
USF is trying but believe me when I say there is still a big gap. Milstead comes home after attending GCU previously.

Reactions: frencheezy
Didn’t realize milstead committee to USF. Good pickup for Dons. He will do well in WCC.

My biggest beef with SMC is the international thing with all the aussies, but you can’t say it hasn been successful. Jordon Ford out of Folsom has had a great career and will def be getting paid to play professionally after college. Wish they had a few more local kids.

Congrats to Robby, but this seems a bit of a letdown. I was talking to his Dad last year, who played football in the ACC and he mentioned thats where they were focused on Robby playing basketball. Maybe he realized hed do much better at Montana in terms of PT and ability to make an impact, so if that is the case seems like the right move.

Didnt Naseem Gaskin recently transfer to Montana as well?

Reactions: superle
Yes Nas
Congrats to Robby, but this seems a bit of a letdown. I was talking to his Dad last year, who played football in the ACC and he mentioned thats where they were focused on Robby playing basketball. Maybe he realized hed do much better at Montana in terms of PT and ability to make an impact, so if that is the case seems like the right move.

Didnt Naseem Gaskin recently transfer to Montana as well?
Yes Nas is there too

Yes Nas

Yes Nas is there too

I read in the Examiner that Bryce is down to his top 5 now. Im sure different strokes for different folks but WSU seemed to not work out for one, in contrast WF actually has worked out really well for another of our home grown kids. Im sure your family and Bryce have had talks with their families to discuss the pros and cons.

I read in the Examiner that Bryce is down to his top 5 now. Im sure different strokes for different folks but WSU seemed to not work out for one, in contrast WF actually has worked out really well for another of our home grown kids. Im sure your family and Bryce have had talks with their families to discuss the pros and cons.
The examiner knows more than me...lol...honestly it's this recruiting , visits, etc...has been overwhelming. Bryce is only 17 and wise beyond his years. Wherever he chooses he just trying not to be in the transfer portal after 1 or 2 years. We are proud of him no matter what. He is not going to prep school and knows it's a challenge for a freshman wherever he goes. He has taken care of business in the classroom with a 3.4 Core GPA and 1100 on the SAT, so he is a qualifier...
Major or Mid Major , as long as he is happy and thrives in whatever system is in place and grows into a productive adult is all we can ask.
Yes, the family you speak of has already reached out to us as well as a few more people.
I think Beasley chose the best that he thought and feels is for him. This decision is hard and I know it was a relief for him and his family to now just focus on his senior year.

Every time a local kid goes to school out of state, this whole board goes up in arms about how the local schools are failing, blah blah blah… some kids want to get away for college, nothing wrong with that... the local options are not that great to begin with. if you have a few similar level offers, why wouldn't you take a more attractive location, program, etc.? Why would a kid choose SJSU, Sac State, UOP if they could go to a better program, nicer campus, etc.?

And is the expectation that every single kid in Norcal should go to a Norcal school? for every Beasley to Montana, there's an Ivan Rabb to Cal, Jordan Ford to SMC, Frankie Ferrari to USF that works out just fine for the local schools.

Congrats to the kid BTW, fantastic program that Travis DeCuire has going up at Montana. Can only wonder what kid of shape Cal would be in today if they would've went with him instead of the splashy but short-lived Cuonzo Martin hire back when Monty retired...

It would be nice to walk in to games at local Universities and see familiar faces doing well. I will stand by that...with that being said my own child may not play local and force me to spend travel money for 4 years. To play college sports is a blessing and a honor. Every kid going to further their education wherever it may be is Great!

It would be nice to walk in to games at local Universities and see familiar faces doing well. I will stand by that...with that being said my own child may not play local and force me to spend travel money for 4 years. To play college sports is a blessing and a honor. Every kid going to further their education wherever it may be is Great!

wait wait wait, youre saying Bryce is not going to magically wave his hand to the AD of "x" school and say "you will hire my dad as the assistant coach and drop the duffel bag on your way out". :cool:

Its really hard to play at the next level whether it be D2 or D1. Go to a game and look at how good these kids are today. You have to be damn good to play at SF State yet alone USF. Beasley was probably a Pac12 player after Frosh year but never grew. Nothing wrong with Montana and in many ways better direction than plenty of pac12 programs. He will do well. I thought UTAH was a big stretch for Gaskin. Just doesn't really have a true position but effort and intensity were always there.
Hats off to any kid that can play somewhere at the next level and nice work for taking care of biz in the classroom.

Its really hard to play at the next level whether it be D2 or D1. Go to a game and look at how good these kids are today. You have to be damn good to play at SF State yet alone USF. Beasley was probably a Pac12 player after Frosh year but never grew. Nothing wrong with Montana and in many ways better direction than plenty of pac12 programs. He will do well. I thought UTAH was a big stretch for Gaskin. Just doesn't really have a true position but effort and intensity were always there.
Hats off to any kid that can play somewhere at the next level and nice work for taking care of biz in the classroom.
Class of 2016 was pretty good in Norcal. Cal took Charlie Moore over Ford and didnt offer Solomon Young.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT