ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento County plan may kill HS sports

Let’s just never go outside, congregate, or interact ever again.

Typical snowflake overreaction. Enough already.

Millions are out on city streets protesting, vandalizing and looting. Before that, they were going out to beaches and having parties.

But oh no, we can’t have youth activities and sports and kids in school. Makes perfect sense.

Anyone know actual STATISTICS that would allow a decision like this to make sense - or at least back it up? Is this simply another bureaucrat (with potential political bias) making another bad decision for the masses? Curious how many virus victims there have been in California alone who were not in a nursing home....and in the HS age group.....and compared to typical seasonal flu victim numbers for same.

Reactions: Bnavarra
Sadly, many high school students look forward to sports as a way to stay involved in academics. If we remove sports, many of these student-athletes will just check-out this year. I read that Sacramento City Unified was already having trouble reaching students (600+ students unaccounted for) during this remote learning period. If you then remove sports this coming year, you will lose even more.

Sadly, many high school students look forward to sports as a way to stay involved in academics. If we remove sports, many of these student-athletes will just check-out this year. I read that Sacramento City Unified was already having trouble reaching students (600+ students unaccounted for) during this remote learning period. If you then remove sports this coming year, you will lose even more.

well said. It was very important to my dedication in the classroom as well. I just don’t see football happening in Sacramento county. Too much red tape. If you live in placer or el dorado county things could be different though. Sucks.

Reactions: PortCityCoach
In speaking to student-athletes that would be entering their senior year, they said without sports they will petition to graduate early and get a jump on college coursework. They said sports were the only thing keeping them enrolled for their entire senior year.

I think the key to the article is if decision was made today. A lot of change in two months.

I also think that a lost season of high school sports will have a) a big negative impact on kids and lead to other issues and b) be akin to the death penalty in college sports. HS will come back but it will take a LONG time for it to reach current levels if it ever does.

Agree streak. I just hope for the best but nobody wants to be “wrong” and few are willing to take a risk. I mean there are still counties that aren’t allowing camping for god sake.

Reactions: ThunderRam

Millions are out on city streets protesting, vandalizing and looting. Before that, they were going out to beaches and having parties.

But oh no, we can’t have youth activities and sports and kids in school. Makes perfect sense.

You’ll have football in Placer County and others. It’s not too surprising Sac County will be more cautious and likely take away this final chapter in some kids growing up years. Only time will tell. Let’s hope in the end they make the right decision with numbers improving and not the politically expedient decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRam

Thunder
You just gave permission to start the whining again. You can do better, and almost allways do.
Here's wishing you great football

please dont minimize individuals protesting with comparison to high school football. racial equality is not even close to tackle football when it comes to importance.

please dont minimize individuals protesting with comparison to high school football. racial equality is not even close to tackle football when it comes to importance.
A good point. It is best not to conflate the two on a high school football message board. These are two ENTIRELY different conversations, even with the virus as a common element.

The thing that strikes me the hardest about all aspects of the Coronavirus pandemic is the lack of testing and the lack of complaints about the logistics of the testing. The ONLY way to even begin to make educated and logical choices about anything is to KNOW what is actually going on.

Until such time as we are easily and often testing for both the active virus AND antibodies, all planning is guesswork.

As an illustration, imagine that we live in any area that is not a current hot spot and we have plentiful, quick, cost-effective, and accurate testing. It would easy enough to test every athlete and coach within an hour before a game.

As for fans, masks and assigned seating sections for contact tracing, combined with VOLUNTARY temperature checks at the gate could drastically cut down on transmission and stem an outbreak if one begins.

We are going to have to learn to live with the virus in some manner for at least the short term. Locking ourselves in our houses can only last for so long. Blindly and wildly defying any attempt to stem the spread is also simply not an option. There must be a logical, informed middle ground where some semblance of functionality can take place. Classes NEED to be conducted in person safely, AND without burdensome reactionary constrictions. Sports can then follow. I remember when we prided ourselves on clever and creative solutions to things like this. I'm hoping we can rise to this challenge as well.

Millions are out protesting. Hundreds are vandalizing and looting. The groups aren’t equal. And it’s not just the kids. It is the at risk adults that are being considered through this process as well.

Reactions: ankleassassin
Millions are out protesting. Hundreds are vandalizing and looting. The groups aren’t equal. And it’s not just the kids. It is the at risk adults that are being considered through this process as well.
Word. I have been to 3 protest and there has been ZERO arrest or violence. Anyone getting out of line got checked real quick.

Reactions: ramfan83
Here are some stats from the CDC for the period February 1 through May 30.

Age 15 - 24 - COVID deaths = 106. Influenza deaths = 50
All ages - COVID deaths = 88,243. Influenza deaths = 38,516

Specialone - Sorry the national numbers disagree with your point.

Fatality percentages of Covid-19 ages 0-24 was 0.01%
Fatality rate of the flu ages 0-18 is 0.05%
So the flu is more fatal to young athletes than covid-19
There is no legitimate reason to cancel sports!
These numbers were the result of studies done in LA county and the east bay
the flu has been around alot longer and many of us have built up immunity to it. as well as those who get a flu shot who never get it. how did you do in Stats in college?

You’ll have football in Placer County and others. It’s not too surprising Sac County will be more cautious and likely take away this final chapter in some kids growing up years. Only time will tell. Let’s hope in the end they make the right decision with numbers improving and not the politically expedient decision.

good points. You wonder if sfl teams in placer and el dorado county will have a better chance of playing. I know OR is practicing and conditioning right now at least on the football field without pads /Helmuts. I doubt sac county schools can even do this legally.

good points. You wonder if sfl teams in placer and el dorado county will have a better chance of playing. I know OR is practicing and conditioning right now at least on the football field without pads /Helmuts. I doubt sac county schools can even do this legally.
Larry, just to be clear OR is not practicing or conditioning as a program, meaning coach supervised. The coaching staff is not allowed to coach or engage in any practices or team conditioning at this point. That being said, we have an incredible leadership with our incoming seniors that lead player-only throwing sessions and conditioning sessions when possible.

Fatality percentages of Covid-19 ages 0-24 was 0.01%
Fatality rate of the flu ages 0-18 is 0.05%
So the flu is more fatal to young athletes than covid-19
There is no legitimate reason to cancel sports!
These numbers were the result of studies done in LA county and the east bay

Have you ever looked at a football sideline of a typical high school team? It's not just kids. I have seen whole staffs of 50+ year old, overweight coaches. Kids go home to their parents and grandparents.

Worse for high school football is the fan situation. Football is the most expensive sport, but it often brings in so much gate and snack bar money that it actually funds other sports. If you play football with no fans, then there is no cash. And then we are back to the "Football is the most expensive sport." The unfortunate logic there is that without fans, it should be the first one gone in a budget cut.

It makes me sad just to type that.

Larry, just to be clear OR is not practicing or conditioning as a program, meaning coach supervised. The coaching staff is not allowed to coach or engage in any practices or team conditioning at this point. That being said, we have an incredible leadership with our incoming seniors that lead player-only throwing sessions and conditioning sessions when possible.

I didn’t say coaches were on the field. I see the kids out there running the drills. It’s great. Hope they get a chance to play because I think it will be an awesome season. Need to find more speed at wideout though.

I didn’t say coaches were on the field. I see the kids out there running the drills. It’s great. Hope they get a chance to play because I think it will be an awesome season. Need to find more speed at wideout though.
All good...I just wanted to clarify that we were not on the field. Also, I really appreciate your support to the program.

Reactions: larry legend33
Have you ever looked at a football sideline of a typical high school team? It's not just kids. I have seen whole staffs of 50+ year old, overweight coaches. Kids go home to their parents and grandparents.
first off: exactly this.

i'm so tired of the ignorance. i need to have this ready to copy/paste:

anyone who argues that this is just the flu, or this doesn't kill young people, or says it's their personal risk, continues to ignore the fact that if a young kid gets infected, they can unknowingly pass it to someone who can/will die from this thing.

If my kid has it, would you like him to spend the night at your house? Hang out with your parents or someone else you love that can die? Of course not. If my kid has it, and gives it to your kid, unknowingly, guess what, your kid spends the night at your house. spreads it to you, who spreads it on and on and on.

THAT is the danger. And, to repeat the above point, it's like people forget the kids are coached and officiated and medically taken care of and supervised by many potential at risk people.

I'm not 100% against sports. I just don't know if it can feasibly be done safely. I would like to see some thought put into this, and not just guy who lives in my phone saying: "Stop overreacting!" I would like the experts to say "yeah, that could work" and not "I don't think that's a good idea".

Reactions: Three Bears

anyone who argues that this is just the flu, or this doesn't kill young people, or says it's their personal risk, continues to ignore the fact that if a young kid gets infected, they can unknowingly pass it to someone who can/will die from this thing.

If my kid has it, would you like him to spend the night at your house? Hang out with your parents or someone else you love that can die? Of course not. If my kid has it, and gives it to your kid, unknowingly, guess what, your kid spends the night at your house. spreads it to you, who spreads it on and on and on.

THAT is the danger. And, to repeat the above point, it's like people forget the kids are coached and officiated and medically taken care of and supervised by many potential at risk people.

I'm not 100% against sports. I just don't know if it can feasibly be done safely. I would like to see some thought put into this, and not just guy who lives in my phone saying: "Stop overreacting!" I would like the experts to say "yeah, that could work" and not "I don't think that's a good idea".
Sounds like you live your life in fear. Have you ever had the flu? Have you ever spread it to someone else and possibly killed someone with their flu? We are at the point now that more harm is being done period. Mental Health, Economy, Overdoses etc. Not having sports is going to severely impact our youth especially the “at risk.”

Sounds like you live your life in fear. Have you ever had the flu? Have you ever spread it to someone else and possibly killed someone with their flu? We are at the point now that more harm is being done period. Mental Health, Economy, Overdoses etc. Not having sports is going to severely impact our youth especially the “at risk.”

ding... ding!! Jackpot... Football is a volunteer sport. Nobody is forcing anybody to go to a game, sit on a sideline, or coach. And play for that matter... shocking how we haven’t had an outbreak from all the rioters, protesters, looters, etc. I guess because they are practicing social distancing.

Quit being sheep people. Look at the data.. overwhelming majority who is dying and getting sick. Elderly, nursing homes, comorbidities. It’s not even close. So if you are in a high risk class take caution.

If you are part of the vulnerable % population then stay in your house and wait for a vaccine. The entire world cannot stop for this virus and there is no data to support not playing sports.

if your mental health, economics and you started doing drugs because of this you were not mentally stable or economically smart to begin with.

if your mental health, economics and you started doing drugs because of this you were not mentally stable or economically smart to begin with.

And if you were not on drugs, you’d probably understand that you’re an ass. Smarmy and predictable.

Troll. Not much of a reader or comprehender either.
It's not like you need a lick of brainpower to be here. Clearly this isn't a haven for the intellectuals. You and I included. After all we are talking about high school football.

most of those those numbers on COVID come from New York and New Jersey, remove those states and they start making more sense. Blanket solutions and blanket stats lead too misapplied solutions and conclusions.

Reactions: larry legend33
If you are part of the vulnerable % population then stay in your house and wait for a vaccine. The entire world cannot stop for this virus and there is no data to support not playing sports.

Public opinion not backed by scientific evidence can be deadly.

“There is no data to support not playing sports.”

Kevin Durant. Marcus Smart. Rudy Gobert.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT