ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento County plan may kill HS sports

Public opinion not backed by scientific evidence can be deadly.

“There is no data to support not playing sports.”

Kevin Durant. Marcus Smart. Rudy Gobert.

And they are fine.... just like 99.9% of people who have had it. If they weren’t nba players they wouldn’t of been tested because they were asymptotic. Take out ny/nj and extremely elderly people in nursing homes and look at the data. This has been a massive overreaction with an obvious political slant.

The data suggests that the massive "over-reaction" is what kept the numbers low. Was it "too much"? Maybe. Did we know that at the time? Nope. I told my son something I heard right at the beginning of all this: "If we do this right, it will look like we over-reacted. If we do it wrong, it will be worse than you can imagine." I think we landed somewhere in the middle, especially in NY/NJ. If we had not "over-reacted" as much as we did, the numbers would be higher. This is an obvious truism.

However, as I have stated, we need to be data and science driven now. We have learned a lot in the last 100 days, and it is time to start putting that knowledge into creative and practical solutions to the short-term problems. There are ways to further mitigate the spread. As treatments are developed (PEPCID?!?!?) and a vaccine is developed, we just have to keep the spread below one-to-one. That is a goal that can be accomplished to protect everyone.

And they are fine.... just like 99.9% of people who have had it. If they weren’t nba players they wouldn’t of been tested because they were asymptotic. Take out ny/nj and extremely elderly people in nursing homes and look at the data. This has been a massive overreaction with an obvious political slant.

check out my old post. Said this from the beginning. Will be the biggest single overreaction off all time based on “total societal cost”. I feel terrible for people who lives will never be the same and I mean not for the better. We’ve only begin to see the toll. Incredible how media, Twitter, fb, IG, etc can control our thoughts.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Love the old fashion California Snowflake mentality. Clockwork

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/health/flu-deaths-vaccine.html

"More than 80,000 Americans died of the flu in the winter of 2017-2018, the highest number in over a decade, federal health officials said last week.

Although 90 percent of those deaths were in people over age 65, the flu also killed 180 young children and teenagers, more than in any other year since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began using its current surveillance methods."

We get it, It's not the flu. It is a virus. We don't have cures for every person. If every year we moved everyone that had the flu in to a nursing home, how much higher would you expect the death toll to be? The experts have made some drastic mistakes. It sucks but compromised people should always take more extreme measures to protect themselves and their loved ones should take more precautions when around them. Wear masks, social distance until you have personally reached a comfort level with vaccine development. These are things that are doable without shutting down everyday life.

California Dept of Health reports for the age range 0-17 there have been zero deaths. Those coaches and those teachers have no need to be closer than 6 ft apart from their student/athletes but they may choose to be.

Reactions: thespecialone
Public opinion not backed by scientific evidence can be deadly.

“There is no data to support not playing sports.”

Kevin Durant. Marcus Smart. Rudy Gobert.

how about actual meaningful data? Three guys that are perfectly fine?

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
check out my old post. Said this from the beginning. Will be the biggest single overreaction off all time based on “total societal cost”. I feel terrible for people who lives will never be the same and I mean not for the better. We’ve only begin to see the toll. Incredible how media, Twitter, fb, IG, etc can control our thoughts.

Then you must believe Ukranian bots & morons have expertly, with Mensa precision, controlled Dr. Fauci. The same people might say “well he may be an expert but he served under traitors Clinton & Obama!”

...and both Bushes, Trrump, so please.

Listen, I’d love for kids to play sports before next year’s vaccine. But I’m thankful grandmas ER in May and sniff afterward did not result in Covid19.

Reactions: Three Bears
Has CIF even said if football wil be played this Fall???
The last I read from CIF was they were leaving it up to the county health offices and the school districts within those counties to make those calls. Honestly, the county and school district that I live in have been very quiet at the moment.

Bloomberg News
"What are we to make of such comparisons? Well, young people really truly do not seem to be in a lot of danger from Covid-19. It’s not zero danger: A few kids are dying from the disease. But the risk they face from catching it at school appears to be much smaller than the risk they face from, say, getting to school. This doesn’t necessarily mean the school and university closings of the past couple of months were a mistake — they were aimed chiefly at protecting teachers, parents and the population as a whole, not students. It does mean that opposing school reopenings in the name of protecting the kids doesn’t make a lot of statistical sense."

The last I read from CIF was they were leaving it up to the county health offices and the school districts within those counties to make those calls. Honestly, the county and school district that I live in have been very quiet at the moment.

I had heard no decisions would be made until a meeting of the Section Commissioners in June. So if some sections are allowed and others not does this mean no post season? We are already seeing division in CCS where the three public San Mateo high schools have been given a green light to start training but the rest of their league is not able to start. Is this fair? Or if it is u to vCounties and school districts does this mean CIF will not sanction a post season should sections and Counties be prohibited from Fall Sports??

again, people are ignoring the fact that you can be asymptomatic, and pass it to someone at risk.

AND, this thing is killing people that should've lived for an average of 10 years longer.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/peopl...ars-earlier-naturally-study/story?id=70511494

So to all the 'nonsnowflakes', since this question wasn't answered, I pose it again reworded:

If you knew my healthy, young, notatrisk son was infected, and contagious, would you let him enter your house and hang with anyone you care about?

Would you want your 65 y/o parent to die today if they catch it? because they are at risk. Or do you want 10 more years with your mom or dad?

If you truly are ok with the above scenarios, then I guess you are consistent. But I'm sure the majority would not like that.. .and it would be disingenous for you to make that decision for them.

But THAT is the problem with this virus. It's more deadly and contagious than the flu, with no vaccine... and even if you get it and it doesn't hit you hard, you pass it unknowingly to multiple people, and as more people are infected, if left unchecked, is an exponential spread.

And THAT is what makes sports a difficult problem to figure out.

So, don't reply to this to berate me without answering those questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Three Bears
another question to the nonsnowflakes:

If I told you one player on the team HAD the virus, but you don't know who it is, would you want your son, his teammate, in the same drill? in the same locker room? those kids are filthy. you get a skin fungus in the locker room and it can spread like wildfire. The virus?

and your son has to come home to you, your family, maybe someone you care about that is at risk?

is that acceptable risk to you?

again, people are ignoring the fact that you can be asymptomatic, and pass it to someone at risk.
“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing at the WHO’s headquarters in Geneva, per CNBC. “It’s very rare.”

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing at the WHO’s headquarters in Geneva, per CNBC. “It’s very rare.”
while that is promising news, it is disingenuous to cite this as the reason to open up and not care.

1. up to now, the guidance has been to avoid potential asymptomatic transmission, so we can only make decisions based on that.

2. It is still possible to transmit asymptomatically.. nothing says it's impossible

3. despite this report, we still don't know...so caution is warranted

So still didn't answer the question.

and I'll add,

until the experts and public health officials use that information to guide policy, I'd say the information is preliminary, as in, too soon to know if it's correct, as in, it could be wrong.

But, if you'd like to volunteer to test the theory out, and put yourself in a room full of asymptomatic positives, I'm sure the epidemiologists would welcome the data.

Several Youth leagues in the area are re opening the leagues and there will be a season. We are at a point now where continuing the way we are is more detrimental to society. Life is about measuring risks.

another question to the nonsnowflakes:

If I told you one player on the team HAD the virus, but you don't know who it is, would you want your son, his teammate, in the same drill? in the same locker room? those kids are filthy. you get a skin fungus in the locker room and it can spread like wildfire. The virus?

and your son has to come home to you, your family, maybe someone you care about that is at risk?

is that acceptable risk to you?

Yes. EVERYTHING in life is a risk. Do you drink? Do you drive?

Yes. EVERYTHING in life is a risk. Do you drink? Do you drive?
so, you answer yes to the question.

you would let my infected son hang out at your house with people you love that could die if infected.

if i was related to you and I was an at risk person, I would not appreciate you taking that risk for me.

(and it sounds like you are advocating for driving while intoxicated. you are nuts)

you would let my infected son hang out at your house with people you love that could die if infected.

if i was related to you and I was an at risk person, I would not appreciate you taking that risk for me.

(and it sounds like you are advocating for driving while intoxicated. you are nuts)

I'm saying do you drink? If you do, you are taking huge health risks. If you drive, you are taking risks. I'm not suggesting nor did I say you did that together, but go figure you're just being a troll.

If I knew your son was infected, I would not let him hang at my house, again, don't be a moron. Also, if I knew he was your son, I wouldn't let them hang out just cause you're an ass.

If a child was sick and had a temp at practice, he/she would be sent home and parents notified to be careful and that player would be out for 2 weeks. Again, you're being a moron and assuming no action would be taken, I am not assuming that.

It's attitudes like yours and this 'all or nothing' prescription game people like you play that causes some to call you snowflakes.

Does anyone commenting have a son who is going to be a senior? Let's hear from them and what they think?

Lock your family inside, stay safe this winter, and wear a mask!

Does anyone commenting have a son who is going to be a senior? Let's hear from them and what they think?
I do not have a high senior in the class of 2021, but I do have a daughter who just lost her last swim season as part of the class of 2020. Her boyfriend lost his senior baseball season. I am also a supporter of Monterey Trail football which was about to have another good, possibly great, season. I'm invested in this issue. If this doesn't qualify me to answer, so be it.

I say what I have always said. Get the testing, tracing, and tracking ramped up (the lack of a coordinated national response has set us back by months). Get the latest and BEST data to determine what is actually going on. Continue to beef up the hospital capacity for response. Begin developing best practices for the functioning of ALL facets of our society. "Work" the problem like we would any other problem. There may never be a vaccine or a strong treatment, but we must live our lives. We can't hide in our homes forever, but we also can't just run wild into a viral tsunami.

I have a son who will be a senior. He is a water polo player and is extremely anxious that there will not be a season this year. He will have enough credits to graduate in December, but was going to stay on for his senior basketball season in the winter and swim in the spring. Without fall or winter sports (and online schooling), his backup plan is to graduate in December and get a jump on college. He is attempting to start player led workouts with the hope there will be a season.

I agree with what MT is saying above - get testing, tracing, and tracking ramped up...

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
I do not have a high senior in the class of 2021, but I do have a daughter who just lost her last swim season as part of the class of 2020. Her boyfriend lost his senior baseball season. I am also a supporter of Monterey Trail football which was about to have another good, possibly great, season. I'm invested in this issue. If this doesn't qualify me to answer, so be it.

I say what I have always said. Get the testing, tracing, and tracking ramped up (the lack of a coordinated national response has set us back by months). Get the latest and BEST data to determine what is actually going on. Continue to beef up the hospital capacity for response. Begin developing best practices for the functioning of ALL facets of our society. "Work" the problem like we would any other problem. There may never be a vaccine or a strong treatment, but we must live our lives. We can't hide in our homes forever, but we also can't just run wild into a viral tsunami.

This is a really good post. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: MTsince2004

that's what I agree with.

too many posts on here are of the "let them play! stop overreacting!" nature.

i'm saying, it needs to be more thought through, and it's not an easy solution, and the possibility of no fall sports is very real if an adequate solution can't be found.

But of course, if the solution is not found, it will be "let them play! stop overreacting!"

let's say they return, and then a team has a mini outbreak? 3 or 4? that pretty much shuts the team down. That is not an unrealistic scenario. And that's my point in asking the question. If you KNEW someone was positive, you'd have to shut it down. We have to assume positives are out there unknowingly. So we have to act accordingly. We can't just let people get sick recklessly. But "let them Play! Stop overreacting!" is reckless.

Let's say a specific school or district doesn't have the resources to protect the kids and staff. Let's say testing is still an issue in parts of the state. Then it's pretty hard to let them play sports, never mind open school. These need to be considered.

I'm saying do you drink? If you do, you are taking huge health risks. If you drive, you are taking risks. I'm not suggesting nor did I say you did that together, but go figure you're just being a troll.

If I knew your son was infected, I would not let him hang at my house, again, don't be a moron. Also, if I knew he was your son, I wouldn't let them hang out just cause you're an ass.

If a child was sick and had a temp at practice, he/she would be sent home and parents notified to be careful and that player would be out for 2 weeks. Again, you're being a moron and assuming no action would be taken, I am not assuming that.

It's attitudes like yours and this 'all or nothing' prescription game people like you play that causes some to call you snowflakes.
sticks and stones

a child can be asymptomatic for days. again, ignoring this simple fact.

I wouldn’t term someone not knowing the science or data a moron. Ignorant? Yes.

The citation originated from some podunk research institution in the South Bay:

http://med.stanford.edu/content/dam/sm/id/documents/COVID/AsymptCOVID_TransmissionShip.pdf
i"m not sure what you are saying here... if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me, or why this article is relevant.

I assume you are talking about me because i'm the only one here being called a moron.

but that article doesn't really say anything, and it's from March.

I have a senior that plays football. Let's answer the stupid questions first. Do I want him to catch Covid-19. No. Don't want him to catch pneumonia either which has a higher mortality rate for his age group than Covid(zero in California) and we have absolutely no protocol for. Do I feel that IF he does catch it he will develop antibodies necessary to not contract it again for the next 18 months and more importantly no longer be one to shed the virus. Yes.
Do I worry about Years of Life Lost? Sure but again not anymore than pneumonia which has a 3 year avg YLL.
I also have 75 year old parents that I don't want to die. Whether there is football or not we will continue social distancing and wearing masks in their presence as we have since day one. And they will wear masks and social distance until they feel it is no longer necessary. It is our responsibility to take precaution to best protect them, not everyone else's.
Should we wait for a solution? There is no solution for a virus. It will be with us and at risk people will always be at risk not only of Covid 19 but every other virus that is out there. There is only risk mitigation. Every at risk person should take extra precaution until THEY feel the risk has been mitigated enough whether through vaccine or cure.
Am I saying do nothing about the virus? Absolutely not. Take every precaution if you have relatives playing high school sports then continue with every risk mitigation protocol you are taking now.
What about Coaches and Faculty? Take every precaution that every other essential business employee is taking every single day during this time. Wear your mask and social distance. The only cost is the mask which has been mandatory.
If we can come together and support a just cause to protest and hug in mass groups, encourage mass youth protests and eschew all guidelines. Then we can definitely support High School sports with guidelines.

The W.H.O. walked back an earlier assertion that asymptomatic transmission is ‘very rare.’

“All of the best evidence suggests that people without symptoms can and do readily spread SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19,” scientists at the Harvard Global Health Institute said in a statement on Tuesday.

I have a senior that plays football. Let's answer the stupid questions first. Do I want him to catch Covid-19. No. Don't want him to catch pneumonia either which has a higher mortality rate for his age group than Covid(zero in California) and we have absolutely no protocol for. Do I feel that IF he does catch it he will develop antibodies necessary to not contract it again for the next 18 months and more importantly no longer be one to shed the virus. Yes.
Do I worry about Years of Life Lost? Sure but again not anymore than pneumonia which has a 3 year avg YLL.
I also have 75 year old parents that I don't want to die. Whether there is football or not we will continue social distancing and wearing masks in their presence as we have since day one. And they will wear masks and social distance until they feel it is no longer necessary. It is our responsibility to take precaution to best protect them, not everyone else's.
Should we wait for a solution? There is no solution for a virus. It will be with us and at risk people will always be at risk not only of Covid 19 but every other virus that is out there. There is only risk mitigation. Every at risk person should take extra precaution until THEY feel the risk has been mitigated enough whether through vaccine or cure.
Am I saying do nothing about the virus? Absolutely not. Take every precaution if you have relatives playing high school sports then continue with every risk mitigation protocol you are taking now.
What about Coaches and Faculty? Take every precaution that every other essential business employee is taking every single day during this time. Wear your mask and social distance. The only cost is the mask which has been mandatory.
If we can come together and support a just cause to protest and hug in mass groups, encourage mass youth protests and eschew all guidelines. Then we can definitely support High School sports with guidelines.
i like it

this is very reasonable.

but of course, if there is no safe way, it will become "stop overreacting!"

i'm not saying there is no safe way. I'm saying, i would like the virus experts to be ok with the plan. Not some randoms on my phone saying it's ok, stop overreacting.

to rebut your points:
1. pnuemonia is not contagious. we don't need a protocol.

2. you should worry less about him and more about who he can give it to, and the potential that they die 10 years too soon.

3. we don't know the long term effects of this. there is strong evidence suggesting in adults, there is objective organ damage. we don't know if kids have long term ramifications

this is very reasonable.

but of course, if there is no safe way, it will become "stop overreacting!"

i'm not saying there is no safe way. I'm saying, i would like the virus experts to be ok with the plan. Not some randoms on my phone saying it's ok, stop overreacting.

to rebut your points:
1. pnuemonia is not contagious. we don't need a protocol.

2. you should worry less about him and more about who he can give it to, and the potential that they die 10 years too soon.

3. we don't know the long term effects of this. there is strong evidence suggesting in adults, there is objective organ damage. we don't know if kids have long term ramifications

Responses like that affect your credibility.

1. In most cases, infections are contagious for a few days before symptoms appear and for a few days after. The exact length of time a person is contagious depends on the type of microorganism causing the infection. Some forms of pneumonia, such as pneumonia caused by mycoplasma, remain contagious for several weeks

Responses like that affect your credibility.

1. In most cases, infections are contagious for a few days before symptoms appear and for a few days after. The exact length of time a person is contagious depends on the type of microorganism causing the infection. Some forms of pneumonia, such as pneumonia caused by mycoplasma, remain contagious for several weeks
pneumonia is a symptom of an infection.

the infection can be contagious. doesn't always cause pneumonia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT