ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento County plan may kill HS sports

i have another question. if a kid gets it he is out 10-14 days. so probably misses 2 games. he will probably give it to other kids. so it could be said that several kids will be out with it. then what happens?

That’s not surprising since the WHO also told everyone Covid 19 was unlikely to spread through human-to-human transmission and waited till the virus spread had already spread across the globe before calling it a pandemic. The WHO didn’t take action immediately after China had already locked down the Wuhan province and only referred to it a week and a half later as a “health concern”. They’ve been backtracking ever since. The WHO was late to the game on Ebola and SARS too. The WHO is more like a global political organization than a health organization.

i have another question. if a kid gets it he is out 10-14 days. so probably misses 2 games. he will probably give it to other kids. so it could be said that several kids will be out with it. then what happens?
if one kid gets it, you have to test the whole team and staff.

it would be negligent and irresponsible to not do so. if you were on the other team, and found out they didn't test, you might be upset.

That’s not surprising since the WHO also told everyone Covid 19 was unlikely to spread through human-to-human transmission and waited till the virus spread had already spread across the globe before calling it a pandemic. The WHO didn’t take action immediately after China had already locked down the Wuhan province and only referred to it a week and a half later as a “health concern”. They’ve been backtracking ever since. The WHO was late to the game on Ebola and SARS too. The WHO is more like a global political organization than a health organization.
the main point is, someone earlier posted something from who about asymptomatic transmission is rare. My response to that is... sounds good, but really we don't know. And voila, next day they walk it back.

the main point is, someone earlier posted something from who about asymptomatic transmission is rare. My response to that is... sounds good, but really we don't know. And voila, next day they walk it back.

Yes - my point is the WHO has been wrong on the virus from the start. I wouldn’t rely on anything they say about this virus. There are many more reputable sources, doctors and scientists.

Should it be different than a place of business that has an employee test positive?

i was more thinking that kids will miss alot of playing time. which would be unfortunate
Agreed but at least they have an opportunity to operate under the same guidelines. Athletics is an active participation sport which means you choose to participate.

Realize this is more on the COVID topic and less on high school football. Sorry. I see this risk. As a society we are going to minimize COVID deaths. 1,000 deaths per day...no big deal. We can live with that. Trouble is, 1,000 deaths per day equals 365,000 deaths per year (at least until there is an effective vaccine). 647,500 people a year die from heart disease...599,100 from cancer...then 170,000 from accidents including overdoses. That means 365,000 is a big deal. COVID could become the third leading cause of death in the USA. Should we minimize 365,000 deaths so that we can stop wearing masks or get closer than 6 feet to each other because we all long for the good old days? My point is we cannot put 1,000 deaths per day ahead of let's get back to normal so bars are open and I can go to the high school football stadium to watch kids play a game. Yes I can eat like a pig and die from a heart attack or smoke and get cancer. But those are individual decisions. Trouble is COIVD exposure is a group risk. If I sit next to someone who is COVID sick while at a football game, it wasn't my individual decision that put me at risk, the group got me sick. And sick could result in me being one of those 1,000 per day. I wish there was an easy answer. And I SURELY want to get back to normal and would love to get back to work (I'm still sitting at home), but I can't overlook the fact that I have a responsibility as a citizen of this society to do what is right for all of us.

(By the way, average deaths per day since May 31 has actually been 797...290,900 per year. Still the third leading cause of death...by a lot over the number dying from accidents/overdoses. And the deaths now are often coming from those who got sick as the curve was flattening. If the curve does in fact start heading the wrong way as businesses re-open, that 797 is going to go up.)

Reactions: Three Bears
Realize this is more on the COVID topic and less on high school football. Sorry. I see this risk. As a society we are going to minimize COVID deaths. 1,000 deaths per day...no big deal. We can live with that. Trouble is, 1,000 deaths per day equals 365,000 deaths per year (at least until there is an effective vaccine). 647,500 people a year die from heart disease...599,100 from cancer...then 170,000 from accidents including overdoses. That means 365,000 is a big deal. COVID could become the third leading cause of death in the USA. Should we minimize 365,000 deaths so that we can stop wearing masks or get closer than 6 feet to each other because we all long for the good old days? My point is we cannot put 1,000 deaths per day ahead of let's get back to normal so bars are open and I can go to the high school football stadium to watch kids play a game. Yes I can eat like a pig and die from a heart attack or smoke and get cancer. But those are individual decisions. Trouble is COIVD exposure is a group risk. If I sit next to someone who is COVID sick while at a football game, it wasn't my individual decision that put me at risk, the group got me sick. And sick could result in me being one of those 1,000 per day. I wish there was an easy answer. And I SURELY want to get back to normal and would love to get back to work (I'm still sitting at home), but I can't overlook the fact that I have a responsibility as a citizen of this society to do what is right for all of us.

(By the way, average deaths per day since May 31 has actually been 797...290,900 per year. Still the third leading cause of death...by a lot over the number dying from accidents/overdoses. And the deaths now are often coming from those who got sick as the curve was flattening. If the curve does in fact start heading the wrong way as businesses re-open, that 797 is going to go up.)
Seems pretty simple. If you’re convinced that your number one threat of catching Covid is attending a high school football game, then don’t go. Your problem is solved.

And when every gym in the country is open and your sons friends are all together stay consistent and keep him locked in the house please. Don't want him bringing home covid after hanging out with the boys! Stay safe this winter!

Reactions: RidgeRider
Here's the deal:

yeah, we need to get back to normal. but it's not as simple as just going back to normal, and rationalizing that it's ok that people die, and rationalizing personal risk, without regard for the ramifications.

It needs to be a measured, thoughtful plan, with the experts having major input, and a contingency plan for the worst case scenarios. And most of the posts on this forum have had the tone of "overreacting", and "it's not that bad" and "personal risk".

So, I just feel the need to offer the science POV, and the empathetic POV, both of which need to be in the equation. It needs to be pointed out over and over, because there is too much misinformation out there. Science: this is NOT the flu, this is HIGHLY contagious, the danger of out of control outbreak is REAL. Empathetic: people are dying that don't need to die... it's callous to not consider that, especially in the context of less important things, like sports. I hope that none of you have to deal with losing a loved one too soon to Covid.

Say what you will, those 2 things are real and important, and if you won't factor that into the equation, you have bigger issues.

But, anyways, that's all I say for now(until I feel compelled to educate again). Go ahead and call me names, as you all have shown a propensity for. I'm not wrong, no matter what you think. I want to see sports played, for my kids's sake, but I want it done thoughtfully and safely. Very little offered here in this thread reflects that.

Reactions: Three Bears
Here's the deal:

yeah, we need to get back to normal. but it's not as simple as just going back to normal, and rationalizing that it's ok that people die, and rationalizing personal risk, without regard for the ramifications.

It needs to be a measured, thoughtful plan, with the experts having major input, and a contingency plan for the worst case scenarios. And most of the posts on this forum have had the tone of "overreacting", and "it's not that bad" and "personal risk".

So, I just feel the need to offer the science POV, and the empathetic POV, both of which need to be in the equation. It needs to be pointed out over and over, because there is too much misinformation out there. Science: this is NOT the flu, this is HIGHLY contagious, the danger of out of control outbreak is REAL. Empathetic: people are dying that don't need to die... it's callous to not consider that, especially in the context of less important things, like sports. I hope that none of you have to deal with losing a loved one too soon to Covid.

Say what you will, those 2 things are real and important, and if you won't factor that into the equation, you have bigger issues.

But, anyways, that's all I say for now(until I feel compelled to educate again). Go ahead and call me names, as you all have shown a propensity for. I'm not wrong, no matter what you think. I want to see sports played, for my kids's sake, but I want it done thoughtfully and safely. Very little offered here in this thread reflects that.

Your arrogance is astounding but predictable.

Reactions: mrbig864
Here's the deal:

Unfortunately they will call you a snowflake and say just let them play. If you die you die. I mean that Oak Ridge vs Whitney must be played.

Here's the deal:

SAL--- don't be to dis-heartened about some of the posters. The fact is, most people by a large margin think sensible measures are in order. 1. Be smart about how you interact.
2. Wear a face mask if you are susceptible. 3. Be informed. 4. Take smart measures when doing what you do in public.
You are reacting to some of the "TOUGH" " POSERS" Pay no attention.

Here's wishing great football

Last edited:
SAL--- don't be to dis-heartened about some of the posters. The fact is, most people by a large margin think sensible measures are in order. 1. Be smart about how you interact.
2. Wear a face mask if you are susceptible. 3. Be informed. 4. Take smart measures when doing what you do in public.
You are reacting to some of the "TOUGH" " POSERS" Pay no attention.

Here's wishing great football

Never been called a POSER before, but hey, first time for everything.

Even though I am a POSER, I agree with both points, however I don't agree with draconian measures taken and supported by the virtue bubbles, not backed by statistics, and I won't get caught of up in the virtue signaling being used here by the sky is falling brigade who use words like "death" as a way to end an argument. There is no one size fits all solution and all things can be managed and will be and to assume anything else is being moronic (temperature taking and swift action in a population that is seeing zero impact is easy enough to manage), which is the kind of comments I read being utilized by the two shrieking hyenas. The scenarios posed by the actual POSERS (ankle biter and the Salami) assume schools and leagues won't manage things carefully. It's lame, not logical, assumes programs couldn't and won't be professional is baiting behavior and only intended to inflame. Stats up here don't justify the measures and we are in stage 3 so that should tell you we are moving on, carefully, and you all can stay pre-stage 1 if you choose.

Last edited:

Even though I am a POSER, I agree with both points, however I don't agree with draconian measures taken and supported by the virtue bubbles, not backed by statistics, and I won't get caught of up in the virtue signaling being used here by the sky is falling brigade who use words like "death" as a way to end an argument. There is no one size fits all solution and all things can be managed and will be and to assume anything else is being moronic (temperature taking and swift action in a population that is seeing zero impact is easy enough to manage), which is the kind of comments I read being utilized by the two shrieking hyenas. The scenarios posed by the actual POSERS (ankle biter and the Salami) assume schools and leagues won't manage things carefully. It's lame, not logical, assumes programs couldn't and won't be professional is baiting behavior and only intended to inflame. Stats up here don't justify the measures and we are in stage 3 so that should tell you we are moving on, carefully, and you all can stay pre-stage 1 if you choose.
What exactly am I posing? Just wondering.

You "Pose" some good thoughts there.

Here's wishing you great football

Two VERY PRELIMINARY studies out of the U.K. could be very good news. WAY TOO EARLY to call these breakthroughs or reasonably expect them to change the course of short-term actions.

#1) It seems that children under the age of 20 are less likely to even contract Covid. Not just be asymptomatic, but half as likely to even get the virus. That is major for school openings. It suggests that mitigation (masks, hand sanitizers, smaller class sizes, etc.) could be enough to re-open schools.

#2) An already approved steroidal treatment (dexamethasone) has been shown to reduce mortality in patients with lung problems. It had little effect on people with no lung issues, but since lung issues are the greatest threat from Covid, it's a positive. It's not a "cure," and they haven't even produced peer-reviewed results, but it is a sign pointing in a positive direction.

AGAIN, neither of these developments have been thoroughly vetted, and neither of them have any appreciable short-term impact locally.

Reactions: concrete17
Two VERY PRELIMINARY studies out of the U.K. could be very good news. WAY TOO EARLY to call these breakthroughs or reasonably expect them to change the course of short-term actions.

#1) It seems that children under the age of 20 are less likely to even contract Covid. Not just be asymptomatic, but half as likely to even get the virus. That is major for school openings. It suggests that mitigation (masks, hand sanitizers, smaller class sizes, etc.) could be enough to re-open schools.

#2) An already approved steroidal treatment (dexamethasone) has been shown to reduce mortality in patients with lung problems. It had little effect on people with no lung issues, but since lung issues are the greatest threat from Covid, it's a positive. It's not a "cure," and they haven't even produced peer-reviewed results, but it is a sign pointing in a positive direction.

AGAIN, neither of these developments have been thoroughly vetted, and neither of them have any appreciable short-term impact locally.
Great points. I am glad you addressed things on a macro level in the UK. Too often we get caught up in our own bubbles, thinking this is "how it is."

It should be of note that some states are resuming contact sports, to include football, on/about July 1st. Other states are moving on. Something to ponder.

I'm hearing rumors that Elk Grove Unified is allowing football teams to start conditioning June 29. Any truth to that? If so, are we looking at a fall season in Sacramento County?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT