ADVERTISEMENT

Serra v Serra tthread - Honor Bowl

Serra-Gardena is the obvious best team here. They have good size and speed. The Padres are not quite what they were last year, but they are putting up a decent fight.

Pads have no pass rush and Brumfield has all the time in the world to hit whichever athletic receiver gets open. Pads DBs can't cover them all. If Cavs didn't have all those penalties, it would be worse. Pads blittz and it opens up more receivers. They are in a tough situation. Cavs are a good team. Brumfield is impressive as are all those WRs. Cavs line is giving the QB all the time in the world.

Padres db's getting beat badly

Padre DB's playing very well & coverage very good - not much they can do with lack of a rush on a good QB who is putting the ball exactly where he needs to. Gardena WR's very quick & if given time not many DB's will be able to cover.

Padres needed to capitalize on Serra's (LA) slow start. Had great field position on three straight possessions and came up empty.

Cavs 35 Pads 14 with Q3 33 seconds left
Cavs 14 yard TD pass after ball deflects through Pads defender going for INT

The kid playing QB for Serra Gardena would have been playing WR If last years starting QB hadn’t transferred to Westlake

Serra Gardena is not elite.
We shall see. I watched the Folsom /DLS game and I would say Serra Gardena would give either one a run for their money. I hope #11 for Serra Gardena is OK. I predict Serra Gardena to be in the playoffs and maybe get to the final 4 in the So Cal Open playoffs. Would love to see them play Folsom in the D1 playoffs which is where Folsom will be not in the Open. They are an Elite So Cal Power

We shall see. I watched the Folsom /DLS game and I would say Serra Gardena would give either one a run for their money. I hope #11 for Serra Gardena is OK. I predict Serra Gardena to be in the playoffs and maybe get to the final 4 in the So Cal Open playoffs. Would love to see them play Folsom in the D1 playoffs which is where Folsom will be not in the Open. They are an Elite So Cal Power
I disagree. Folsom beats them by 2 to 3 scores. Serra wont make it to the D1 bowl. I believe they will get bounced.

Calpreps has it 35-14 Folsom in which I agree.

Back to the Serra vs Serra chat now.

Last edited:
Calpreps has them at #12 in CA.

I would say top 10 is elite. But I am sure that is just my opinion. 12 is still very good.
OK - that's a fair definition... I kinda go with perennial powerhouses as being elite... A football program that can maintain top 25 in CA most years for 10+ years is elite according to my definition - IMHO.

I don’t think they’re elite either and there is no path for them to 1AA game (or at least realistically)

I don’t think they’re elite either and there is no path for them to 1AA game (or at least realistically)
True - pretty remote chance to get that far. That being said, Brumfield looked pretty good and with season experience, he could drive the Cavs forward.

Just a reminder Serra got smoked by St Mary's by 30+ & then by Pitt 2 weeks later last year. Coaches made adjustments and they beat a GOOD St. Francis team 3 times and won a state championship. Coach Walsh plans these tough games for a reason and it pays dividends in Nov/Dec. Trust me I know the algorithm.

Just a reminder Serra got smoked by St Mary's by 30+ & then by Pitt 2 weeks later last year. Coaches made adjustments and they beat a GOOD St. Francis team 3 times and won a state championship. Coach Walsh plans these tough games for a reason and it pays dividends in Nov/Dec. Trust me I know the algorithm.

They played SF 3 times?

Serra played SF in regular season winning 31-21 & then in the Open D-II CCS championship narrowly winning 31-30
last season. pc2986 is correct in that both the last 2 season's Serra started out not so well before getting hot & going on win streaks in both season's.

Reactions: Where Are They Now
pc2986 - I think you're confusing CCS & NorCal together. Serra plays each WCAL team once in league play & then may encounter them a 2nd time if both teams make the post season playoffs in the same division.

So the 1rst Serra vs SF game was in league which Serra won 31-21. The 2 teams met again in CCS post-season playoffs in Div II Open. Serra played Mitty a 2nd time in opening round, then defeated VC in round 2 semi-final before meeting St. Francis in the championship winning 31-30. Therefore Serra play Mitty, VC & SF each twice last season. After winning the CCS Div 2-AA Open Serra won against Tulare County in the NorCal regional game & winning before playing in a state bowl game vs Cajon of SoCal & winning Serra's first ever state championship in Div 2-AA by 38-14.

Either way Serra beating St. Francis twice in a season is quite unusual & 3 times would have really been something [for Serra fans that is ;)]

By going 10-0 vs. WCAL schools in 2017, it buttressed the argument that that Serra team was the best ever. But there are a lot of geezer Padres out there who believe that the 1968 team was even better. But that dispute cannot be settled. Ever.

[B said:
"colhenrylives[/B], post: 205756, member: 968"]By going 10-0 vs. WCAL schools in 2017, it buttressed the argument that that Serra team was the best ever. But there are a lot of geezer Padres out there who believe that the 1968 team was even better. But that dispute cannot be settled. Ever.

Good post colhenrylives. Like yourself I am familiar with those "early" Serra teams of yesteryear and knew many of the players incl Jesse Freitas Jr. For those of us who've studied both era's it isn't even close. The recent Padre teams of the last several year's IMO were much better than the '68-'69 Serra teams. We've had this discussion previous & the recent Serra teams that broke most of those earlier team records are simply bigger, faster , stronger in any order you'd like. I'll give a single example & I could provide a lengthy list. The starting center for Jesse Freitas Jr. at that time was someone I knew & around 5'7 - 170 lbs [maybe]. The current Serra center is 6'2-290. The disparity is similar throughout the rosters of those past & present teams. Athletes of today didn't exist back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Where Are They Now
Gardena had better talent at almost every position on top of being well coached. That being said, the score reflected my analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT