FWIW the average strength of schedule for SFL pre-league:

Folsom = 33.4
Del Oro = 32.8
Rocklin = 24.8
Oak Ridge = 20.7
Nevada Union = 19.6
Granite Bay = 18.8
Woodcreek = 10

In past years Folsom has taken jabs at scheduling weak pre-league. Not this year.

Personally disappointed with DO's pre-league. Would like to have seen another SoCal team or a Bellarmine or DLS to beef up their schedule.

Rocklin has a tough game with Clovis West next week in Fresno and hope they get a W down there.

Thought OR had a tougher schedule than that but respectable with Vacaville and Reed. Reed(NV) is up next for OR, hope they pull it off at home this year.

How NU lost to Lincoln(Lincoln) last night I don't know.

Granite Bay is 3-0 but play Vacaville next week. Will they be 4-0 heading into Golden Eagle stadium?

Best SFL first league game, IMO, is Granite Bay @Del Oro with GB coming off playing a good team, DO not so much.

SFL league is looking pretty good so far this year. According to Calpreps, the SFL is the top league in NorCal at this point.
SFAL-SJS
WCAL-CCS a distant second
BVAL-NCS
DAL-SJS

But to put it in state-wide perspective, SFAL is 4th in the state following TAL-SS, MAL-SS and Big8-SS. If SFAL improves, especially in the lower levels, they could challenge for 3rd or 2nd in the state.

Folsom = 33.4
Del Oro = 32.8
Rocklin = 24.8
Oak Ridge = 20.7
Nevada Union = 19.6
Granite Bay = 18.8
Woodcreek = 10

In past years Folsom has taken jabs at scheduling weak pre-league. Not this year.

Personally disappointed with DO's pre-league. Would like to have seen another SoCal team or a Bellarmine or DLS to beef up their schedule.

Rocklin has a tough game with Clovis West next week in Fresno and hope they get a W down there.

Thought OR had a tougher schedule than that but respectable with Vacaville and Reed. Reed(NV) is up next for OR, hope they pull it off at home this year.

Granite Bay is 3-0 but play Vacaville next week. Will they be 4-0 heading into Golden Eagle stadium?

Best SFL first league game, IMO, is Granite Bay @Del Oro with GB coming off playing a good team, DO not so much.

Rocklin played Napa and Grant also and now face Clovis West next Friday that's one of the better non league schedules in the SFL

Rocklin played Napa and Grant also and now face Clovis West next Friday that's one of the better non league schedules in the SFL
I think Rocklin is on the weaker end of the league. I don't think they can beat the top 3 or 4 SFL teams IMHO.

Either way the league is awesome this year. Best in NorCal for sure.

I think Rocklin is on the weaker end of the league. I don't think they can beat the top 3 or 4 SFL teams IMHO.

Either way the league is awesome this year. Best in NorCal for sure.

Even more props to Rocklin they are one of the weaker teams in the SFL and yet scheduled a though nonleague.

Some quality pre-league games:
Rocklin @Clovis West
Reed @Oak Ridge
Folsom @Sacramento
Granite Bay @Vacaville

Great last pre-league games for these SFL teams before league starts following week. Wish I could attend them all but all tough games and good way to transition into league.

Predictions on the 4 SFL games:
Rocklin @Clovis West
Rocklin beat CW last year at home by 1point
CW have a number of D1's and looking for revenge
CW wins in a close one

Reed @Oak Ridge
Reed has owned OR past 3 years
OR is due and playing for pride at home for pride
OR wins

Folsom @Sacramento
New coach for Sac
Good and consistent coaching @Folsom and will have a "plan" for Sac
Folsom playing with chip and will not be surprised
Sac returns a lot
Folsom wins

Granite Bay @Vacaville
GB has struggled on O but pretty stout D
Vacaville probably has the more balanced team
Vacaville played OR tough and IMO OR is the better team vs GB
Dawgs win in close one

Reactions: Dan12Kings
Don't know much about Sac, but I hear they are tough and have a lot of returning players.

Not sure if Sac is a run first team or pass, but I do know Folsom had a hard time stopping Oakdale's run. Oakdale never had to kick a field goal and had no problem continually getting first downs. Scored 29 against them, and danced in to the Enzone with a 2 pts conversion and was not even touched.

Folsom is a great team and did make some important stops. But overall, Oakdale didn't have a tough time running on them.

I see Folsom winning this game because that's what Folsom does, they WIN games, and make those important plays when they have to, and that's what GREAT teams do under any circumstances.... I'm rooting for Folsom... Go Bulldogs!!!

My predictions:

Rocklin
Reed
Folsom
Vacaville

The Granite Bay defense this year is excellent, to me that game with Vacaville is a toss up. I think Rocklin is stronger than people think. I don't think they are at the bottom end of the SFL, only NU and Woodcreek wear that crown, the rest of the schools are strong and on near equal terms...sans Folsom of course who is clearly the class of the league at the moment.

Reactions: Dan12Kings
Reed big over Oakridge! D.O. vs Monterey Trail?????

DO should be able to take MT. MT freshman play the veer so I assume varsity and JV does as well. DO's big inside backers should make things difficult for MT to dominate the middle. I also think there is enough speed on DO's outside to contain the edges. I do think MT will give DO a game and make some big plays in the process.

DO should be able to take MT. MT freshman play the veer so I assume varsity and JV does as well. DO's big inside backers should make things difficult for MT to dominate the middle. I also think there is enough speed on DO's outside to contain the edges. I do think MT will give DO a game and make some big plays in the process.
Yes MT runs the Veer and has 3 RB's that rotate. The are a run heavy team with 659yards rushing and 167yards passing with 12 pass attempts the two games they have played. MT has only played two games and they have not played anybody. Agree RR that DO should do well against run but if they don't, run stopping could be a serious deficit going into SFL. Yes MT likely will score on a breakout run or two. Don't know much about MT D.

Folsom = 33.4
Del Oro = 32.8
Rocklin = 24.8
Oak Ridge = 20.7
Nevada Union = 19.6
Granite Bay = 18.8
Woodcreek = 10

I find it odd about your comment on DO's pre-league. You cant always compare average SoS vs how many top teams they play. They scheduled Cathedral (15-0, 70.9 rating 2016) and Timpview (9-3, 50.4) and a softy which brought down their SoS. Those 2 top teams were the two highest rated teams that anyone in the SFL had scheduled. Folsom has done a good job at scheduling 3 good teams, but no great ones. If Folsom wants to be considered at being the top team in NorCal at selection time, their schedule needs a significant upgrade. They need to be playing some of the SoCal powerhouse teams or BG to show that they are on the same level or better than DLS. Until that happens, they wont be in the Open without a DLS falter.

Reactions: ThunderRam
If Folsom wants to be considered at being the top team in NorCal at selection time, their schedule needs a significant upgrade. They need to be playing some of the SoCal powerhouse teams or BG to show that they are on the same level or better than DLS. Until that happens, they wont be in the Open without a DLS falter.

Some have asserted that Folsom doesn't want to be in the Open thus why they haven't done what you're suggesting. I'm not saying I subscribe to that theory, but I have seen it stated numerous times here and on the National board.

I will say that it has been disappointing not to see them schedule some notable PAC-5 programs or even the likes of Chandler or Mountain Pointe, AZ. They've been the flagship program of the SJS and arguably the #2 program in NorCal the past 4-5 years and I think they could have represented well in those hypothetical match ups. I'd like to see them test themselves a bit more. Coeur d'Alene and Cathedral are nice programs, but not on the level Folsom should be seeking.

Everyone knows Del Oro, Granite Bay and Grant Union have scheduled some of those types of games. Hell, even Sacramento took their lumps scheduling a Trinity League team, as did St. Mary's.

I personally believe that Folsom versus Centennial-Corona is a match up made in heaven and needs to happen. Might not be enough digits on the scoreboard for that one.

I find it odd about your comment on DO's pre-league. You cant always compare average SoS vs how many top teams they play. They scheduled Cathedral (15-0, 70.9 rating 2016) and Timpview (9-3, 50.4) and a softy which brought down their SoS. Those 2 top teams were the two highest rated teams that anyone in the SFL had scheduled. Folsom has done a good job at scheduling 3 good teams, but no great ones. If Folsom wants to be considered at being the top team in NorCal at selection time, their schedule needs a significant upgrade. They need to be playing some of the SoCal powerhouse teams or BG to show that they are on the same level or better than DLS. Until that happens, they wont be in the Open without a DLS falter.
Some have asserted that Folsom doesn't want to be in the Open thus why they haven't done what you're suggesting. I'm not saying I subscribe to that theory, but I have seen it stated numerous times here and on the National board.

I will say that it has been disappointing not to see them schedule some notable PAC-5 programs or even the likes of Chandler or Mountain Pointe, AZ. They've been the flagship program of the SJS and arguably the #2 program in NorCal the past 4-5 years and I think they could have represented well in those hypothetical match ups. I'd like to see them test themselves a bit more. Coeur d'Alene and Cathedral are nice programs, but not on the level Folsom should be seeking.

Everyone knows Del Oro, Granite Bay and Grant Union have scheduled some of those types of games. Hell, even Sacramento took their lumps scheduling a Trinity League team, as did St. Mary's.

I personally believe that Folsom versus Centennial-Corona is a match up made in heaven and needs to happen. Might not be enough digits on the scoreboard for that one.
My reference is SFL WRT Folsom having the stronger schedule but you guys are absolutly right about Folsom not scheduling at the next level.

My reference is SFL WRT Folsom having the stronger schedule but you guys are absolutly right about Folsom not scheduling at the next level.
How do you know those teams haven't attempted to have been scheduled? I know for a fact attempts have been made. The top teams in the state don't exactly have open white space on their calendars like ThunderRam implies. The guy is a discreet Folsom fan. Obsessed.

Monterey Trail could basically do nothing tonight. They were forced to pass early and with little to no success. Felt bad for their players because they have some very good players.

The DO DC completely shut down their run game.

DO effectively ran the ball and passed without looking that great. The line played ok given 4 starters were out.

Last edited:

Folsom struggles with sac high do you really think they'll play a team like cen ten lol they probably wouldn't even play pitt...I believe they don't wanna play teams that could expose them...I think they are content with being a sjs power team...you see they went and played a team from Idaho..if they play a school from so cal it won't be 1 of those top schools

D.O. Had close to 250 yards rushing and no sacks last night! Thought their O-Line did a great job playing with 2nd stringers. O-Line coach definitely did his job coaching them up!

Reactions: FelineBad
My take at SFL rank:
1 Folsom
2 Granite Bay
3 Oak Ridge
4 Del Oro
5 Rocklin
6 Woodcreek
7 Nevada Union

This seems just about right. Some good league
D.O. Had close to 250 yards rushing and no sacks last night! Thought their O-Line did a great job playing with 2nd stringers. O-Line coach definitely did his job coaching them up!

Gazzaniga is a tremendous coach and it is likely no coincidence that when he came to Del Oro as a line coach, DO started getting to the state finals after winning two back to back SJS titles.

2nd stringers overall did a decent job but started out bit sketchy. Most of the 1st half they did not play great but I had no expectation that they would. Missing zone block assignments, holding and inability to step up physicality in the red zone. You could see as the game went on i.e. 2nd half that they were maturing before your eyes. OL coach did great job with what he had. Center needs some work and his muffed punt long snap contributed to MT's only score. MT had a pretty decent DL so kudos to OL.

Don't know extent of injuries but OL will be challenged next week.

Folsom struggles with sac high do you really think they'll play a team like cen ten lol they probably wouldn't even play pitt...I believe they don't wanna play teams that could expose them...I think they are content with being a sjs power team...you see they went and played a team from Idaho..if they play a school from so cal it won't be 1 of those top schools

It was the offense that struggled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT