ADVERTISEMENT

SFL Schedules for 2016

Del Oro will play St. Paul of Santa Fe Springs in Week 0. Game will be in Loomis

St. Pauls overall record the last four years is 11-24 and they have not made the playoffs in the last six years...in the last three years they have played seven PAC5 teams and have been outscored 338-55... Not sure why Del Oro would schedule this one

St. Pauls overall record the last four years is 11-24 and they have not made the playoffs in the last six years...in the last three years they have played seven PAC5 teams and have been outscored 338-55... Not sure why Del Oro would schedule this one

Del Oro usually schedules games they can't win. This one seems to be a game they can't lose......

Thanks for the update Streak -- gotta agree with BnP, this one may be easier than their BYE week!

After years of aggressive scheduling by DO, they don't deserve continued critiquing. Especially from certain programs who schedule like wussies.

If DO was playing a Marion Ancich ST Paul team, it would have been a great match up. His teams were as tough as nails, very physical.

The Del Oro program has got scheduling figured out. Maybe they know something about these teams and/or their program that makes it work out. It seems like a softer schedule than recent years, but they aim for section/NorCal/state titles. If they go 4-0 or 0-4 in the non-league, doesn't really matter to them I don't think if the titles don't follow

Reactions: smashmouthrick
As a huge DO fan I'm disappointed DO does not have as tough a non-league schedule as previous years as I simply enjoy those challenges. While personally disappointed I believe in "the process" that DO rolls to as it has resulted in the crown, a couple of crown attempts and a lot of post season wins. What "the process" means this year must reflect the weaker than normal non-league scheduling as I'd expect DO does not lack from heavy weight opponent opportunities.

We will see how this translates to post season but I have to think more folks out there have to be believing in CT's "process".

Part of the "process" has gotta be adaptation throughout the season - coaching player deficiencies weekly for better outcomes game to game. A team doesn't win 8 straight after going 2-6 without it. The best competition exposes glaring issues; tough opponents accelerate player learning; good coaching fixes problems. Perhaps the depth of DO's team this year (senior heavy) doesn't require as much discovery - they know what they've got and what needs work - so they've decided not to beat themselves up.

Pointing out the scheduled teams aren't very strong (because, well...they're not very strong) isn't being critical of their schedule....they just aren't playing Punahou and De La Salle, the only two teams that are really missing from last year's preseason schedule considering Pleasant Grove (UT) was a walk in the park for them and Bellarmine is still a go. Frankly, it's a good strategy for this year's team.

In talking to someone who talks to DO coaches, they had a hard time filling games. Word is they feel PV is going to be really good test, they return almost entire team from last year. CC game, I believe, is somewhat of a favor to Jason Harper, who is associated with both programs. But, give credit to CC for stepping up their schedule. As for the week 0 game, word is they had trouble finding a team. They needed a home game and were looking for a 1 year deal with some possible big plans for Honor Bowl next year. They talked to teams from Florida, Georgia, Texas and it just wasn't cost effective to bring a team. St. Paul agreed to 1 yr deal, so DO jumped at it. Bellarmine - CCS Open Champs, state finals; PV NS Section Champs, state playoffs; CC Section finals. We are all just used to DO being absurd in its scheduling. Their 4 non league opponents went 41-9 last year. Why isn't anyone cracking on Folsom? Jesuit? Pleasant Grove? Sac Hi? Coeur d lane? A combined 25-18 last year with 1 playoff win. How do any of those games challenge them? I will say Rocklin has definately stepped it up with Grant, Napa, and Clovis West...much better than preseason schedule last year. Oak Ridge with Reed, but Vista, Vacaville, and Burbank are very average. Woodcreek picked up Antelope (good rival game), but Davis and Sheldon were a combined 5-15 last year. I do like GB picking up Oak Grove. I still think someone needs to put together a WCAL vs SFL preseason series. Those would be some good games.

The word is that Del Oro is looking at a series of high profile out of state games against East Coast opponents beginning in 2017. The Capital Christian game was scheduled being the strong relationship the two programs have to Character Combine. This left them with needing two home games on one year contracts. There are not many teams anywhere lining up to play one year deals at an away site. Del Oro got very lucky that St Paul agreed to travel to Loomis on a one year deal. St. Paul never backs away from a tough schedule. Pac 5 schools continue to schedule them so if the states best teams are playing them then they are certainly worthy of a game against Del Oro.

In talking to someone who talks to DO coaches, they had a hard time filling games. Word is they feel PV is going to be really good test, they return almost entire team from last year. CC game, I believe, is somewhat of a favor to Jason Harper, who is associated with both programs. But, give credit to CC for stepping up their schedule. As for the week 0 game, word is they had trouble finding a team. They needed a home game and were looking for a 1 year deal with some possible big plans for Honor Bowl next year. They talked to teams from Florida, Georgia, Texas and it just wasn't cost effective to bring a team. St. Paul agreed to 1 yr deal, so DO jumped at it. Bellarmine - CCS Open Champs, state finals; PV NS Section Champs, state playoffs; CC Section finals. We are all just used to DO being absurd in its scheduling. Their 4 non league opponents went 41-9 last year. Why isn't anyone cracking on Folsom? Jesuit? Pleasant Grove? Sac Hi? Coeur d lane? A combined 25-18 last year with 1 playoff win. How do any of those games challenge them? I will say Rocklin has definately stepped it up with Grant, Napa, and Clovis West...much better than preseason schedule last year. Oak Ridge with Reed, but Vista, Vacaville, and Burbank are very average. Woodcreek picked up Antelope (good rival game), but Davis and Sheldon were a combined 5-15 last year. I do like GB picking up Oak Grove. I still think someone needs to put together a WCAL vs SFL preseason series. Those would be some good games.

Really SFLFAN? I know that Vaca has not won their league in a couple of years - but to say that they are average just might be a stretch.

Yes LMR, Vaca is very formidable - unless SFLFAN was saying the overall preseason OR schedule is average. DO's preseason schedule is weaker than normal, that's true, and no slight to DO for pointing it out. Would be nice to see some other teams step up to the challenge, schedule out of area heavies and not go for an easy win.

SMR, good article, hadn't seen that one - funny how it's all about "schedule strategy" one minute and then reality the next ---> finding teams willing to play!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT