ADVERTISEMENT

SFL Update

larry legend33

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Dec 4, 2007
A few notes after 3 games for most teams.
Oak Ridge's loss of their line has really showed. The team is off to 0-3 start after front loading a tough pre -season schedule. Too lazy to look it up but off top of my head I don't recall OR going 0-3 in a very long time. Mccallie out of TN was just too much for the Trojans. The score ended up 38-16 but it was 38-0 at half and a running clock in the 3rd. They called of their dogs early. OR was without there starting QB but I really don't think it mattered in this game. I do look for the Trojans to bounce back and get a win vs a very down DO team. But overall for the trojans to win 5 games this year that would be best case.

Jesuit- Might be the Suprise team in the mix this year at 2-0 with some blowouts against Rio and Bellarmine. Hard to tell how good jesuit is but they have a big line and has been able to run behind it well. They will likely go into their first home league game 3-0 when they face granite bay on 09-20.

Del Oro Very down year. Will be in the lower tier of the SFL. I could see a 5th place finish.

Granite Bay- Hasn't played a great schedule and is 3-0. They look solid but again its hard to really gauge. They seem like a middle of pack SFL.

Rocklin- They look very solid. Got another year behind Slone and just don't have many weaknesses. However, I don't think as good as last year but are now 3-0 and will go into game 4 against Folsom in 2w which is likely the SFL champ. Rocklin has a history of playing Folsom very well. I don't see this changing. Can they beat Folsom without the transfers?

Folsom- Still the team to beat and come end of year I think they will be in the mix.

SFL (my prediction)
Folsom
Rocklin
Jesuit
GraniteBay
Oak Ridge
DO
Davis
Whitney

this may be a bit controversial so i hope i dont get banned but the truth is that the sfl is WAY down this year. that being said as of now heres how the league looks to me in my imo:

folsom (obviously)
rocklin (only other decent team)
oak ridge (taylor is best coach in league, once he figures it out they will be ok)
granite bay (they look a little bit better than del oro right now and have more coaching stability)
del oro (unorganized mess right now. can't even compete with placer)
jesuit (have played nobody yet and are playing in a real league for the first time. expect growing pains but they will be good in a few years)

not even bothering to list davis or whitney as they are not real teams. they belong in the metro or some other bum league.

pretty sure that's how the order is going to shake out, barring any injuries.

this may be a bit controversial so i hope i dont get banned but the truth is that the sfl is WAY down this year. that being said as of now heres how the league looks to me in my imo:

folsom (obviously)
rocklin (only other decent team)
oak ridge (taylor is best coach in league, once he figures it out they will be ok)
granite bay (they look a little bit better than del oro right now and have more coaching stability)
del oro (unorganized mess right now. can't even compete with placer)
jesuit (have played nobody yet and are playing in a real league for the first time. expect growing pains but they will be good in a few years)

not even bothering to list davis or whitney as they are not real teams. they belong in the metro or some other bum league.

pretty sure that's how the order is going to shake out, barring any injuries.
Top 2 are pretty obvious. Agree.
OR is way down. They aren't figuring it out in 2024. QB is out for another month + and they just aren't very good this year. You have 6-7 soph that play a lot. Next year they will be good assuming they can keep a QB. There best QB is JV starter at Folsom who would start for every team in the SFL except folsom. Already has offers.
I think you are way undervaluing Jesuit and over valuing DO.
Jesuit was 9-2 last year and had a 10-0 JV and 8-1 Fresh Team. They have averaged almost 10 wins a year last 3 seasons.

Whitney and Davis are both bad but I wouldnt be shocked if Davis beat DO.

A few notes after 3 games for most teams.
Oak Ridge's loss of their line has really showed. The team is off to 0-3 start after front loading a tough pre -season schedule. Too lazy to look it up but off top of my head I don't recall OR going 0-3 in a very long time. Mccallie out of TN was just too much for the Trojans. The score ended up 38-16 but it was 38-0 at half and a running clock in the 3rd. They called of their dogs early. OR was without there starting QB but I really don't think it mattered in this game. I do look for the Trojans to bounce back and get a win vs a very down DO team. But overall for the trojans to win 5 games this year that would be best case.

Jesuit- Might be the Suprise team in the mix this year at 2-0 with some blowouts against Rio and Bellarmine. Hard to tell how good jesuit is but they have a big line and has been able to run behind it well. They will likely go into their first home league game 3-0 when they face granite bay on 09-20.

Del Oro Very down year. Will be in the lower tier of the SFL. I could see a 5th place finish.

Granite Bay- Hasn't played a great schedule and is 3-0. They look solid but again its hard to really gauge. They seem like a middle of pack SFL.

Rocklin- They look very solid. Got another year behind Slone and just don't have many weaknesses. However, I don't think as good as last year but are now 3-0 and will go into game 4 against Folsom in 2w which is likely the SFL champ. Rocklin has a history of playing Folsom very well. I don't see this changing. Can they beat Folsom without the transfers?

Folsom- Still the team to beat and come end of year I think they will be in the mix.

SFL (my prediction)
Folsom
Rocklin
Jesuit
GraniteBay
Oak Ridge
DO
Davis
Whitney
How do you think Rocklin’s Lines will stack up against Folsom?…..

Also, when did Jesuit join the SFL?…. 🤣

Reactions: observer22
Also, when did Jesuit join the SFL?…. 🤣

This is the first season.

I actually think Jesuit in the SFL is a fantastic move for both Jesuit and the league.

IMO the combination of Jesuit finally getting lights along with the move to the SFL could springboard that program to new heights. Of course they’ve enjoyed a good amount of success in football over the decades, but not to the level that the largest private school in the SAC metro area should be experiencing.

With home games now on Friday nights rather than during the heat of the day on Saturday’s, that program is likely to attract a lot more interest from some of the area’s better student athletes than ever before. Adding another layer of interest is Jesuit now being in the premier league in the SJS and arguably the best in Norcal.

Depending upon the focus of the administration, AD, and alumni — this program could really be on the rise.

I really wish Monterey Trail could have been the other school joining the SFL, rather than Davis. But getting Jesuit is a big deal IMO.

I actually think Jesuit in the SFL is a fantastic move for both Jesuit and the league.

IMO the combination of Jesuit finally getting lights along with the move to the SFL could springboard that program to new heights. Of course they’ve enjoyed a good amount of success in football over the decades, but not to the level that the largest private school in the SAC metro area should be experiencing.

With home games now on Friday nights rather than during the heat of the day on Saturday’s, that program is likely to attract a lot more interest from some of the area’s better student athletes than ever before. Adding another layer of interest is Jesuit now being in the premier league in the SJS and arguably the best in Norcal.

Depending upon the focus of the administration, AD, and alumni — this program could really be on the rise.

I really wish Monterey Trail could have been the other school joining the SFL, rather than Davis. But getting Jesuit is a big deal IMO.
Could agree more TR. Jesuit has all the ingredients and momentum to build a stellar program. The new stadium + the added lights have given the marauders a totally different feel. From what I've seen I think they will surprise the OR, DO, and GB',s this year. And I also agree the SFL is down this year compared with historical teams.

the next decent team jesuit beats will be the first. this program is not what people are hyping it up to be. if they were they wouldnt have stayed in leagues where they could beat up on small public schools. imagine de la salle lobbying to stay in the diablo league.........

Don't know about people hyping them but The lost in 30T to DO last year in playoffs because DO had the best player in Norcal at QB.
Jesuit is better than last year and the overall SFL is down. Its actually a perfect time for them to join. Grant had the opposite issue when there program was down they joined a very strong SFL. You must not be that close to SFL teams because Oak Ridge, DO, & GB are way down.

Reactions: THEOC89
Don't know about people hyping them but The lost in 30T to DO last year in playoffs because DO had the best player in Norcal at QB.
Jesuit is better than last year and the overall SFL is down. Its actually a perfect time for them to join. Grant had the opposite issue when there program was down they joined a very strong SFL. You must not be that close to SFL teams because Oak Ridge, DO, & GB are way down.
the literal first thing i said is that the sfl is way down so i'm not sure why your attempting to call me out. you are arguing in bad faith. i literally explained that the sfl is way down this year but at the same time it is much higher competition then anything jesuit has ever played. they are not used to this level of football and it will show this year while they hope to build up.

My take from seeing most of these teams so far this year is Folsom and Rocklin are better than Jesuit. Jesuit is the 3rd best team in the SFL. If you think casey taylor has some secret recipe you are mistaken. They lost to 2 schools who are way down this year. Frontier is 1-2 and San Clemente is 1-2. Only wins are against OR. The TN game was a complete waste of a trip. Running clock and nothing more to stroke taylors ego.

Reactions: THEOC89
I see Jesuit as top 4 in league. They are well coached and will do just fine against Whitney, DO, Davis, and OR. The move to the SFL will make their program better. I think Folsom is still way ahead of everyone. Does Rocklin have a chance? Folsom seems to be better at every position. It’s going to take an epic performance by the Rocklin defense and QB slone will have to do some magical things to pull it off. Got to think Folsom is 3 score favorites over Rocklin. Who knows maybe the extra week of prep during the bye will help Rocklin keep it close. In the coach adams era they have played Folsom tough even when outmatched physically. We will see next week! Winner will be SFL champ.

the next decent team jesuit beats will be the first. this program is not what people are hyping it up to be. if they were they wouldnt have stayed in leagues where they could beat up on small public schools. imagine de la salle lobbying to stay in the diablo league.........

Your response completely deviated from the points I made. Straw man fallacy.

the literal first thing i said is that the sfl is way down so i'm not sure why your attempting to call me out. you are arguing in bad faith. i literally explained that the sfl is way down this year but at the same time it is much higher competition then anything jesuit has ever played. they are not used to this level of football and it will show this year while they hope to build up.

After going completely rogue above, you then admonish @larry legend33 for not addressing your post in a way you agreed with and went as far as to accuse him of arguing in bad faith. SMH.

As far as I can tell, you need to get your own reading and comprehension house in order before you start admonishing others. Pot meet kettle.

Also, I gotta be honest, your week-old account and sophomoric handle isn't inspiring much confidence that you're anything more than a burner account at this point. Step up your game or prepare to be ignored en mass.

Last edited:
I see Jesuit as top 4 in league. They are well coached and will do just fine against Whitney, DO, Davis, and OR. The move to the SFL will make their program better.

As for this season, I can see Jesuit being among the top 3-4 teams. Who knows. I haven't been able to review any of their games yet, and it's difficult to gauge anything by the opponents they've beaten so far (Bellarmine isn't Bellarmine of old), but they are historically a competitive program that has even given Folsom 3-4 close games over the past 10-11 years. They nearly took them out of the 2021 postseason.

While it's too early to say right how this current season might unfold for them, I do see potential for the not-so-distant future due to all the recent events discussed earlier. One factor that they'll be able to compete with Folsom right away is open enrollment, which none of the other SFL programs (other than Folsom) have.

As I said earlier, it all depends upon the focus of their AD and alumni. If they really want to build a dominant program, they have the means to get it done. Even more so now that one of their biggest roadblocks was removed.

Does Rocklin have a chance? Folsom seems to be better at every position. It’s going to take an epic performance by the Rocklin defense and QB slone will have to do some magical things to pull it off. Got to think Folsom is 3 score favorites over Rocklin. Who knows maybe the extra week of prep during the bye will help Rocklin keep it close. In the coach adams era they have played Folsom tough even when outmatched physically. We will see next week! Winner will be SFL champ.

Of course they have a chance. They've demonstrated that the past 4 years with one win and 3 other highly competitive games.

When you've got a QB as good as Reeve Slone, along with the offensive talent surrounding him -- you've always got a chance. The question is, how good is the defense compared to the past few seasons?

I don't have an answer to that yet. My initial feeling is that they aren't as good on that side of the ball as they have been. They aren't as big and physical as they've been. And most importantly, I'm not sure they have the talent and speed needed to contain Ryder Lyons when he starts doing his thing. Ryder really hurt them last season with his ability to extend plays and still make down field throws -- just like he does to pretty much everyone else.

Yes, the Thunder have an extra week to prepare, but Folsom's HC was spotted at Rocklin's game last week against Lincoln-Stockton rather than down in Turlock so the Bulldogs will be highly prepared too -- as always.

As for this season, I can see Jesuit being among the top 3-4 teams. Who knows. I haven't been able to review any of their games yet, and it's difficult to gauge anything by the opponents they've beaten so far (Bellarmine isn't Bellarmine of old), but they are historically a competitive program that has even given Folsom 3-4 close games over the past 10-11 years. They nearly took them out of the 2021 postseason.

While it's too early to say right how this current season might unfold for them, I do see potential for the not-so-distant future due to all the recent events discussed earlier. One factor that they'll be able to compete with Folsom right away is open enrollment, which none of the other SFL programs (other than Folsom) have.

As I said earlier, it all depends upon the focus of their AD and alumni. If they really want to build a dominant program, they have the means to get it done. Even more so now that one of their biggest roadblocks was removed.

Of course they have a chance. They've demonstrated that the past 4 years with one win and 3 other highly competitive games.

When you've got a QB as good as Reeve Slone, along with the offensive talent surrounding him -- you've always got a chance. The question is, how good is the defense compared to the past few seasons?

I don't have an answer to that yet. My initial feeling is that they aren't as good on that side of the ball as they have been. They aren't as big and physical as they've been. And most importantly, I'm not sure they have the talent and speed needed to contain Ryder Lyons when he starts doing his thing. Ryder really hurt them last season with his ability to extend plays and still make down field throws -- just like he does to pretty much everyone else.

Yes, the Thunder have an extra week to prepare, but Folsom's HC was spotted at Rocklin's game last week against Lincoln-Stockton rather than down in Turlock so the Bulldogs will be highly prepared too -- as always.
Rocklin is a tough, hard-nosed, and well coached program. But every time I watch Folsom play and they pull out the game its on the back of Ryder Lyons and his ability to make plays with his feet. Kid is really a cheat code at the HS level. I think Rocklin will be in the game and I believe its there best shot because the transfers have at a least a couple more games to sit if I'm not mistaken.

Couldn't agree more with you about Jesuit. I was at that game when Walker Lyons made that great catch from Folsom to squeak out a 22-21 victory of Jesuit in playoffs. They have a lot of resources and momentum right now. I look for the program to take a big step forward. Time will tell but it was a good move to get into the SFL.

Rocklin is a tough, hard-nosed, and well coached program. But every time I watch Folsom play and they pull out the game its on the back of Ryder Lyons and his ability to make plays with his feet. Kid is really a cheat code at the HS level. I think Rocklin will be in the game and I believe its there best shot because the transfers have at a least a couple more games to sit if I'm not mistaken.

Couldn't agree more with you about Jesuit. I was at that game when Walker Lyons made that great catch from Folsom to squeak out a 22-21 victory of Jesuit in playoffs. They have a lot of resources and momentum right now. I look for the program to take a big step forward. Time will tell but it was a good move to get into the SFL.
i hope i don't get banned for pointing this out but - where was this "cheat code" in folsom's last game? cause i watched and they got absolutely bagged for 48 minutes.

anybody in nor cal can be beat on any given friday (as long as they are playing another nor cal team). folsom may beat rocklin on most fridays, but there's no guarantee the day they play will be one of them. rocklin always hangs, and once every few years they win the regular season matchup. they deserve there respect and you shouldn't be so dismissive of them. they are a class program run by class people and play the game the right way.

Could agree more TR. Jesuit has all the ingredients and momentum to build a stellar program. The new stadium + the added lights have given the marauders a totally different feel. From what I've seen I think they will surprise the OR, DO, and GB',s this year. And I also agree the SFL is down this year compared with historical teams.
I agree with 99.9% of what you have posted. I do have one item to mention though...Coach Cattolico at GB has consistently played veer teams very well over the years. If memory serves, when he was at Pleasant Grove and won the section championship, it was against a veer team (Monterey Trail). Granted, Arik Armstead was on that team as well. But, it is a note worth mentioning, nevertheless.

I would agree slone is a game changer. We are so used to Rocklin D being the star of the show. This year that has definitely flipped. We of course know that rocklin D is always one of the top in the section and well coached. As ThunderRam mentioned that DL is not as stout of years past. Still we know Rocklin won’t back down and will be prepared especially defensively. I’m hoping for an awesome game!

I agree with 99.9% of what you have posted. I do have one item to mention though...Coach Cattolico at GB has consistently played veer teams very well over the years. If memory serves, when he was at Pleasant Grove and won the section championship, it was against a veer team (Monterey Trail). Granted, Arik Armstead was on that team as well. But, it is a note worth mentioning, nevertheless.
everybody in the league (the real teams at least - folsom, rocklin, granite bay, del oro, oak ridge) have no problems whatsoever shutting down and shutting out the veer. that offense got solved 40 years ago as long as the talent level is anywhere near even. there's a reason monterey trail wants zero part of the league.

everybody in the league (the real teams at least - folsom, rocklin, granite bay, del oro, oak ridge) have no problems whatsoever shutting down and shutting out the veer. that offense got solved 40 years ago as long as the talent level is anywhere near even. there's a reason monterey trail wants zero part of the league.
I hope you don't get banned for saying that.

Since Folsom holds multiple losses to DLS mostly in blowout fashion and a Blow out loss to Monterey Trail, with far more talented teams, no one has solved the veer…..

Also, Serra just got smoked by the veer by 29 points…. 🤣

Since Folsom holds multiple losses to DLS mostly in blowout fashion and a Blow out loss to Monterey Trail, with far more talented teams, no one has solved the veer…..

Also, Serra just got smoked by the veer by 29 points…. 🤣

To be objective and fair, running the veer offense with the coaching and talent DLS has seen come through their program is the super rare exception, not the rule, and doesn't really provide a ringing endorsement of the offensive strategy itself.

I mean, what other relevant or comparable HS program running the same offense has seen even half the Local or National success that DLS has? Can you name one (that's still employing the same strategy today)?

It ain't the veer offense, it's the culture, coaching, and talent. As well as their defensive system (can't leave that out!). During the early days when Coach Lad was getting it all started up until they really started drawing in elite talent during the 1990's the offensive style mattered -- but that time passed quite a while ago. They could be running virtually any offensive system today and still be a premier program.

For the most part, running the veer, wing-t, double wing, or any run-oriented offense for that matter isn't going to be wildly successful unless it's in rural America against small town programs OR the team simply has elite level talent and coaching. And in the case of the latter, running that style of offense wouldn't come close to taking full advantage of the talent, skill, and speed those elite players possess.

Which is precisely why you don't see those offenses run by the vast majority of elite HS and collegiate programs and not one professional team. Hell, you don't even really see PRO style or the WCO much anymore, either.

It has been a long discussed topic on this forum how DLS has, for the most part, no longer been able to compete with the likes of recruited up Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, Bishop Gorman, etc, etc. partially due to the antiquated and largely one-dimensional offense they run. Those teams surely have figured out the "veer", as any defense should if blessed with top shelf talent and speed.

Again, if DLS was currently running the "spread", or some other offensive variation, within the realm of the culture and program they've created and developed over the past 46 years -- you could be saying the same thing about their opponents not solving their offense. Except for the elite of the elites, of course. Just as it is now.

Reactions: remc and FBAddict
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT