ADVERTISEMENT

SHC - Skyline Scrimmage

Irish_Cheers

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
It was both teams competing with their JV and Varsity teams scrimmaging on either half of the field.

For the Varsity, the Irish running game was far ahead of their passing game although they really didn't pass very often. That was surprising since they're looking for a starting quarterback. The competition is still up for grabs from what I've been told. I couldn't tell whether the first QB was George Stefko or not since neither player had a number on their jersey. The Skyline defense did rush the passer more than once.

Skyline was the opposite. They made some pass plays but the Irish defense recorded a lot of sacks. Skyline didn't have a very effective running game. Irish need a better pass defense, but then the full roster of players didn't participate so that may be deceiving.

The Sacred Heart Cathedral running game was very good. At least three or four different times, runners pulled-off 30-yard gains. A'reon Mitchell and Jamal Lavallier (sp) looked very good and have a lot of speed. They're both sophomores. Jamar Williams-Sheppard had some family business to attend to so he didn't play.

Ronan Murphy had a boot-cast on his left foot and I'm told he'll be out for all of September. That's extra bad news for the passing game.

On the JV side, Irish dominated both ways, especially with the running game. They also had a number of 35 yard runs. Maybe 150 people showed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmbr26
Irish, thanks for the update...Seems like the Irish team doesn't quiet have much of an identity yet...but we will soon know who they will be leaning on. That is sad that Murphy is out, he could have definitely been an asset. How did the numbers look for JV's....Did they have more than 30 guys?

Irish, thanks for the update...Seems like the Irish team doesn't quiet have much of an identity yet...but we will soon know who they will be leaning on. That is sad that Murphy is out, he could have definitely been an asset. How did the numbers look for JV's....Did they have more than 30 guys?
Both teams had about 30 out there but I'm sure that's not the whole crew. The rosters still aren't posted.

I like the center section old Candlestick seats.

Reactions: Scott2138
It was both teams competing with their JV and Varsity teams scrimmaging on either half of the field.

For the Varsity, the Irish running game was far ahead of their passing game although they really didn't pass very often. That was surprising since they're looking for a starting quarterback. The competition is still up for grabs from what I've been told. I couldn't tell whether the first QB was George Stefko or not since neither player had a number on their jersey. The Skyline defense did rush the passer more than once.

Skyline was the opposite. They made some pass plays but the Irish defense recorded a lot of sacks. Skyline didn't have a very effective running game. Irish need a better pass defense, but then the full roster of players didn't participate so that may be deceiving.

The Sacred Heart Cathedral running game was very good. At least three or four different times, runners pulled-off 30-yard gains. A'reon Mitchell and Jamal Lavallier (sp) looked very good and have a lot of speed. They're both sophomores. Jamar Williams-Sheppard had some family business to attend to so he didn't play.

Ronan Murphy had a boot-cast on his left foot and I'm told he'll be out for all of September. That's extra bad news for the passing game.

On the JV side, Irish dominated both ways, especially with the running game. They also had a number of 35 yard runs.
Ripping off 30 yard runs against an OAL team with a Calprep rating of -10 (MINUS 10) is nothing to be bragging about. Then again, you did graduate from shC.

Since shC is mostly female students and getting more so every year, you should recruit some of the girls VB and BB team players to play WR, DB and a girls soccer player to be a kicker. That will help increase your roster size. Having a big offensive day against an average OAL team with a negative Calpreps rating is a great accomplishment and one to be proud of.

Since Reardan is mostly male students and is not considered "academic" except for the international kids, perhaps you should think of some girls to add to the GPA problem. Or how about fixing the dances you guys hold other than making the lowly freshman boys' wear dresses.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Since Reardan is mostly male students and is not considered "academic" except for the international kids, perhaps you should think of some girls to add to the GPA problem. Or how about fixing the dances you guys hold other than making the lowly freshman boys' wear dresses.

Name a male SHC grad since 2000 that received an athletic scholarship to Stanford for football? Or an SHC grad earning a scholarship to Cal and actually sniffed the playing field? DO NOT count anyone who grew up OUTSIDE SF. You just had a football kid TRANSFER OUT to SI...and the position is wide open!!!

Scott, I'd like to you to present some real data of SHC male academic achievement vs. Riordan. You are grossly misinformed. Since this is a sports site, gather all the "academic" records from the three major sports football, basketball and baseball, heck throw in track and wrestling. Make sure you have something you can back up before spouting off.

On another note, Cheers, was Skyline the only team the Irish scrimmaged? I thought there were more teams participating?

Last edited:
Lets see. The kid was a last minute recruit for Buddy Teevens back when Stanford was a doormat under Buddy Teevens and Stanford was desperate running back.. And he quit the football team after two years. I will still give kudos to the kid for making it in there and overcoming the obstacles he had in his life.

AS for the SHC kid, he had some major injuries that prevented him ever making his mark. Pretty stupid comparison.

And when a male cannot handle the academics at SHC, where do I usually see the kid transfer too?

Good sh!t...Loved reading the last several posts....It's the verbal battle of the bottom-feeders...Stoked/instigated by your friendly, neighborhood closet-jackrabbit, Fubo...

Oh crap, it's 3 minutes until kickoff...excuse me for a few hours, while I go watch a couple of nationally ranked football teams on ESPN2....

On another note, Cheers, was Skyline the only team the Irish scrimmaged? I thought there were more teams participating?

I expected other teams too as they've done recently but it was only Skyline this time. JV's on one side and Varsity on the other. I sat in the center section with the orange Candlestick seats. Some lady in the stands was cheering on the JV's, acting like it was a real game. They really ran the brakes off... Uh, I mean outperformed Skyline, especially in the running game.

Lets see. The kid was a last minute recruit for Buddy Teevens back when Stanford was a doormat under Buddy Teevens and Stanford was desperate running back.. And he quit the football team after two years. I will still give kudos to the kid for making it in there and overcoming the obstacles he had in his life.

AS for the SHC kid, he had some major injuries that prevented him ever making his mark. Pretty stupid comparison.

And when a male cannot handle the academics at SHC, where do I usually see the kid transfer too?
Like the SH QB that transferred to SI? Ask a SH grad to name a male SH grad that went to Stanford period and you will get the same dopey blank stare and drooling as if you asked them about the Pythagorean theorem.

You make me laugh. You are comparing apples to oranges That kid wanted to go to Si from the start and didn't get in as a freshman. And he was not in the mix to start at qb.

I am not an shc grad so my connections is my kids. The funny part is at their grammar school, they started to institute a policy that boys had to apply to 3 schools after several boys did not get into either si and Shc.

I was talking as a whole school...and since this is athletic site, you want me to spout off academic standards on it, do your own research!...SHC has good athletes and some great ones period. I'm not basing it one athlete that made it to Stanford. I will dare suggest a bigger comparison and see which school actually had more kids attend Stanford after graduation. But since this is all about athletic banter, let's keep it simple.

Last edited:
Hi RikFran, How does the 2019 freshman class look, how is the Peralta process of bringing in more football players seem to be working out, I know its a process. Does the Frosh class have any buzz on their football potential, do they have another 50+ boys trying playing? I hear they have above average baseball players for sure in this class.

Last edited:

You and Rik are the ones that brought up academics, "Mission on tuition", and Riordan being the last choice.
4 years running that the incoming frosh class has increased. School is now 700 students. The 3 school policy has always been in place BTW- Tyrone McGraw was accepted at Harvard, but waited until he got a football scholarship as playing football at Stanford was his dream. The boarding school is Riordan and these kids parents chose to attend and are willing to pony up $50k/yr.
Try keeping this to sports only, but you'll fall way short as well.

Last edited:
NO...it is FUBO...who started calling out Cheers as an SHC graduate...etc. You know the problem. He is the one who brought up girls and everything else, matter of fact, he is the one talking constantly.

Yeah whatever Jordan24, keep selling the school, Im quite confident as a school SHC has more grads that attended Stanford period after graduation so no SH is not going to fall short there. I'm glad Riordan is making progress especially with the boarding program of international students.

Last edited:
With Murphy out this should give plenty of opportunity for Mitchell to get more passes thrown to him. A 30 man roster is not going to cut it come league. Hope Murphy gets back soon. I like his game.

A 30 man roster is definitely not going to make it come league time. The varsity is above that by possibly 15. I am asking about the JV team, last year SHC freshman had 50+ kids play freshman football and they were good. I wanted to know how many of those players are coming out again as JV, we already know 4 of them were moved to varsity. I want to see the program continue to grow and prosper, we all are interested in an improved product against the WCAL south.

A 30 man roster is definitely not going to make it come league time. The varsity is above that by possibly 15. I am asking about the JV team, last year SHC freshman had 50+ kids play freshman football and they were good. I wanted to know how many of those players are coming out again as JV, we already know 4 of them were moved to varsity. I want to see the program continue to grow and prosper, we all are interested in an improved product against the WCAL south.
The school still doesn't have rosters up. MaxPreps has a varsity roster showing 44 players. Others aren't listed.

Scott, haven't seen the freshman play but saw them introduced at fall sports meeting yesterday. Also talked to one of assistant coaches yesterday. Coach felt the team may be better than last years frosh. They sure looked the part. Of course, we need to wait to see results o n the field.

I would estimate numbers on freshman at 45 and jv's 35 and varsity at 45. Varsity had several players sitting it out including two transfers. One of the transfers should be a key player - he is 290 pound junior nose guard.

And Jordan, I actually only brought up academics after several Fubo posts ripping SHC academics.

Rik, thank you for your reply...They look the part, so there are some big bodies to choose from possibly? It appears we have a number of good backs for a few years so improving the line will do additional wonders:):) Thanks for your information and adding another big lineman for the varsity of over 275 is always a nice piece for Peralta and team.

Last edited:
And Jordan, I actually only brought up academics after several Fubo posts ripping SHC academics.

Keeping it strictly sports (with all the banter!) moving forward. haha.
I understand the Riordan frosh had another good turnout of 60+ players. Many of these kids attended Coach Fordon's football camp and come from the local jr. football teams - Seahawks, Warriors, Rams, etc. Nice to see the City schools having kids with ACTUAL team football experience as the South Bay schools have had this luxury for years.

The junior teams sure help. But after two games, Riordan has given-up 144 points and scored none. Concord beat them 66-0 at home and Clayton Valley rung-up 78 points to 0 at their place. I haven't seen a roster of the players but if this is any indication, I'll expect a severe drop-off for next year's JV team.

Last edited:
Yes...Jordan24, as much as we jaw on each other, I actually don't mind any SF school dethroning some of the Souths' swagger on us for football. Its' not so bad for some of the other sports but football for sure. For instance, It was nice hearing SF Mission beat DLS in basketball at Kezar in a tournament a year or two ago. That is huge and what a milestone for a school like Mission to do. Riordan drew over 50+ last year too but the freshman and JV results were mild at best in 2015. Here is hoping both schools got cornerstones to build on for the future.

Reactions: jordan24
With Coach Fordon on board there is a total revamp of the entire program. JV coach remains the same but the Frosh have a new HC. The big difference this year is that almost all of the staff are full-time faculty members, too. This is long overdue as most of the WCAL programs are run this way. We shall see if this translatesinto improvement...

SHC will be playing in the upper half of the WCAL in the next 3-4 years. Riordan will have some serious rebuilding to do after this season. ARHS administration will have to decide whether they really want to compete in the WCAL or not. They can't recruit for a couple years and then take a couple years off. Riordan finally has a coaching staff in place that will allow them to compete, but the talent will take a tumble after this season.

With Murphy out this should give plenty of opportunity for Mitchell to get more passes thrown to him. A 30 man roster is not going to cut it come league. Hope Murphy gets back soon. I like his game.

They'll have just over 40 players for the varsity and 33 for the JV's. All the rosters are on the school's site. Beats me why they won't list height & weight of the players. Irish have 48 frosh players.

I still haven't seen Riordan's Frosh roster but judging by the way they've been steamrolled (66-0 to Concord and 78-0 by Clayton Valley), they'll have a huge drop-off in talent coming up.

Last edited:
Irish - to be practical the Irish team this season has some good athletes, but is lacking for overall depth. The varsity needs a "minimum" of 45 players who can play [not just bodies to fill out the roster] and to keep the system going the JV needs to consistently have 40+. Its a number game and a dilemma thats needs a practical solution. I suggest some close perspective of both the VC & SHP programs.

SHC cannot be compared to VC and SHP. Just check the football facilities for openers. An inner city school and a couple of very affluent, super-funded suburban schools. It's apples and oranges.

Irish - to be practical the Irish team this season has some good athletes, but is lacking for overall depth. The varsity needs a "minimum" of 45 players who can play [not just bodies to fill out the roster] and to keep the system going the JV needs to consistently have 40+. Its a number game and a dilemma thats needs a practical solution. I suggest some close perspective of both the VC & SHP programs.

I concur. I don't go in with green-colored glasses but the rosters and talent have been larger than they have in the past two seasons so I'll be happy with some improvement. And yes, I know about the facilities. There's a practice field on campus but they mainly practice at Westmoor (Who, ironically, doesn't have a team). They've gone winless and undefeated with the same scenario for years.

There are fields like Kimball and another on Geary near Scott Streets, so I don't see why they can't do some kind of deal with the City. Maybe use Lang Field nearby. It's a solvable problem in spite of the naysayers, but maybe the players really don't mind taking a bus ride to Daly City for practice.

Last edited:
IrishC and Rmbr26, I have been stating Lang Field for years. The SF Park and Rec is competing for a budget every year and from what I understand they want to reduce overhead. I do think it is feasible for the SHC admin to talk to the city about leasing grounds or "maintaning" the property for more exclusive use reducing some of the required budget for SF Park and Rec. I wouldn't mind if they use Gailieo's field if they don't have sports one day either. I don't know what SHC pays to use Westmoor's field but I do know a lot of the kids who play football live in the Sunset or the 650 area, including the coach himself. The school manages to do pretty well without having a real field for most sports (soccer, baseball, etc) but it certainly could do better if it has access to one especially for football. Not having a field has been an achilles' heel for awhile so I hope it can be addressed in the future. Even so, the school was and is still able to attract some Olympians with no track and solid athletes to make something out of themselves. I mentioned this before and someone on the SHC staff said on the website, "it isn't fields or facilities that win games, but coaches and guidance do." I hear all that but let's keep looking for a field is my opinion. It has proven to be just as difficult to find and buy a house apparently in the city.

Last edited:
SHC cannot be compared to VC and SHP. Just check the football facilities for openers. An inner city school and a couple of very affluent, super-funded suburban schools. It's apples and oranges.

I understand your post colhenry & almost always agree with you, but as to my response I stick with it. To say that VC or SHP with an equal number of kids are 100% superior simply due to more $$$ is not something I'd agree with. I know SHP has perhaps the best campus & facilties of any JC around [not kidding!] and that VC has had HUGE funding via Silicon Valley contributors is accurate, but doesn't mean SHP or Riordan can't compete with a team with an equal number players. Do SHP & VC have an advantage? Sure they do, no question - great facilities. That doesn;t mean that with the right coach & program with an equal number of players that these schools cannot compete with the "rich kids" [not kidding - check out SHP's tuition & you'll likely need a set of jumper cables to get you back up & running]. Its strictly about numbers and with another 10-12 playes teams like SHC can show a huge improvement. They have the athletes currently, just not enough of them being the problem IMO.

Yes Rmbr26, this is why I was asking about the numbers. SHC had almost 50 freshman on the football team last year. (2014) This year the JV team appears to be 35ish, granted 3/4 of them moved up to varsity. But that leaves about another 7-10 players that didn't come out to play for JV's, this doesn't mean they won't play in later years, but the health of the team and the sustainability of the program is what I am looking for. You are accurate and correct that if SHC had 7-8 more guys it would help tremendously just to keep people fresh and it would show improvement. I see Sean White decided to try football now in the family...he is the youngest brother following Riley and Logan, so that is nice to see, playing football may be the best thing for him:).

Last edited:
Scott, I believe Sean is on the roster as an honorary player. he would love to play but has a congenital condition which puts him at risk if he gets hit. The jvs have some huge lineman. Apparently another came out today for jvs who only played basketball last year. This new kid is probably 6'2" 280. The starting guards are 290 and 280 respectively ( the 280 pd one has been sick all week so will probably not play tomorrow). A lot to be excited for with the Fightin Irish future with their freshman and sophomore classes.

Great to hear Rikfran....he is listed as qb/db in the shc website....I heard about all that regarding Sean awhile ago...so I thought the risk may have dissipated but he loves baseball apparently. Thank you for the update. Whoa, some big lineman indeed...just what the doctor prescribed. Having big trucks gets you everywhere in football, even more than the turbo motorcycles:) The future is brighter indeed.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing how shC plays tonight. They are in the third year of Peralta handpicking staff and "attracting" players. They dominated Skyline last week, have huge size on the lines and one of the premier running backs in the area. This game against TN could be a blowout.

The junior teams sure help. But after two games, Riordan has given-up 144 points and scored none. Concord beat them 66-0 at home and Clayton Valley rung-up 78 points to 0 at their place. I haven't seen a roster of the players but if this is any indication, I'll expect a severe drop-off for next year's JV team.

Calling out freshman football is really low, but you have nothing else to say I guess. Bold prediction: Riordan's current freshman class beats SHC current freshman class when they line up in a varsity game.

Reactions: FUBO
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT